The Rumour Thread

DoK are fully 2.0 ready as are Idoneth, the only two things that they are "missing" are terrain and endless spells; both of which can be added without GW needing to release a new Battletome for them. They just need warscroll cards and that's it they can run without any additional rules or features. GW can do this with their warscroll system and it means that they can add things without needing a new print run of books. 

DoK have all the alliance abilities and battalions they need. The only thing that would spark a new book would be a new rules edition and/or a very considerable wave of new models - such as Chaos just had for 40K. However DoK are doing really well at present and with other armies much more in need of updating in AoS I can't see DoK getting a massive model wave of the like that would make it attractive to print a new book. GW could even add a new hero or sculpt or unit and still not need a new book. 

Remember Terrain being a feature was sort of added in after 2.0 began its life; whilst Endless Spells have appeared fast and it is a little odd that both Idoneth and DoK don't have their's yet. It might be that GW tested the waters and reacted fast (as Endless Spells are produced overseas one assumes that they can be produced quicker than shifting around the in-house production side) and pushed them out after 2.0 launched for the other factions and DoK and Idoneth are just left lagging. 

I would not expect a new book for either race, not unless GW gives them at least 4 or 5 new  units ontop of endless spells and terrain. Once you start adding a considerable amount like that then there can be more justification to rebalance some of the other models to make room for the new ones; as well as ensuring that the new has a place without displacing or competing with the old. It also makes the amount of new content significant enough to actually generate sales - esp considering that AoS Warscrolls are already freely displayed online. GW knows that they have to give gamers a reason for buying a new Battletome beyond just releasing one. 

Khorne is a bit of the exception in all this, but that's mostly because they got in early with 0.0 and 1.0 and the jump from 1.0 to 2.0 is significant enough to make it worth printing a new Tome for them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As @Overread and @EccentricCircle said. Warhammer Community stated DoK was planned as one of the first 2.0 compatible tomes. And outside of endless spells and terrain they have everything all the other factions do. And honestly I don’t really see terrain or endless spells coming for a while if at all considering how powerful they are without them. Not to mention what kind of terrain would you even give a fast moving murderball? Technically our terrain moves with us anyways. (Cauldron or Avatar)

They are quite strong without these that outside of a potential buff endless spell I don’t see much need for them. Especially if they cost the same as 10 witches or a Hag Queen I know which one I’d take.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Overread said:

Naw it should be something different to hwat DoK already has lots of - heck already I really hope one Endless Spell is a shadowbeast (unless GW is going to give us shadowbeast models as units - please pretty please!) 

How about a gladitorial combat arena that they erect on the battlefield with rules for single combat between heroes (with some sort of compulsory element for enemy heroes within a certain range).

2 minutes ago, King Taloren said:

I personally would save the shadowbeasts for Molarion’s elves. He is the master of Ulgu. Morathi is just paying rent there. 😆

Aye, but Morathi should get some too. She's paying rent but when Malarion found her she was surrounded by Shadowbeasts. It's a theme established with her and in the Shadow Realm the shadowbeasts are akin to what we'd consider horses and cattle and the like. Ergo just the natural fauna of the realm. So as a spell and/or unit they should appear in both forces. 

3 minutes ago, Mutton said:

It would be nice if they made the Avatar on foot decent.

It's main issues is that its dependent on another unit to work for the first half of the game and that in turn eats into potential buffs to be cast by that unit as well. Otherwise its gone of the factions few decent ranged attacks coupled to a good close combat profile. 

4 hours ago, Mutton said:

It would be nice if they made the Avatar on foot decent.

It might not be OP. But it's more then decent! Animating it, is a pain. But that why it has an option for a ride ;) I brought one a couple of games during the summer. In 1K it did do serious work. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Overread said:

Fingers crossed its Slaanesh today in the unveiling for next weeks pre-orders! 

I hope so!

There are still the two new Shadespire warbands pending though right?  I wonder how much of a break production needs after the new Chaos marine stuff. 

They said Warcry is aimed for the summer, so I don’t think we’ll see anything aside from more teasers and previews over the next couple of months.

I’m hoping Slaanesh too. That was confirmed as the next battletome to be coming out after Fyreslayers.

*smeagol voice* It is our birthday present.....

Edited by King Taloren

4 minutes ago, King Taloren said:

They said Warcry is aimed for the summer, so I don’t think we’ll see anything aside from more teasers and previews over the next couple of months.

The Warbands being mentioned are the ones for Underworlds not Warcry (specifically the Sylvaneth and KO ones needed to finish season 2)