The Rumour Thread

2 hours ago, dmorley21 said:

I'm honestly surprised Skaven haven't appeared in 40k. 

Many think that the Tyranids are "sort of" Skaven. They at least early one worked with a similar swarming mechanic and fit the more "animal" faction in the game. That said Skaven also sort of got their mad-science angle stolen by the Orks of 40K who are far more personable and crazy science than their Fantasy fellows (who early on were more the "big evil" shadow). 

2 hours ago, PJetski said:

There are countless death gods in Shyish that are spawned by mortal belief in an afterlife (although Nagash keeps eating them) so it's not impossible to presume that gods can be "created" in other realms.

I presume Gorkamorka wouldn't take too kindly to some upstart minor god muckin' about and taking his followers in Ghur...

What would happen if a cult arose that believed in a afterlife that was protected by a god that could absorb/defeat Nagash as its sole purpose? Could that god which would spawn into existence beat Nagash? 🤔🤔🤔

Technically there is a 40k equivalent to Skaven called the Ratling, there are two of them in Blackstone Fortress. But just like Ogryn and Squats, they are just minor humanoid subspecies of the Imperium. 

Edit: also I believe space skaven made an appearance in “The Beast Arises” series but they got anhiliated by the Ork Empire and the Prime-Orks

Edited by novakai
  • Confused 1

Squats were their very own faction. They even appeared in Titan Legions too.

The problem, from what I can gather, is that as 40K matured and got a bit more serious with itself the design team didn't have any love for the Squats. Even their name didn't really fit with the more serious grim-dark world they were building up. So with no real champion and a range that was sort of a bit too jovial; coupled likely with average or lackluster/low sales they were shelved. 

A rumour is that Tyranids ate them, but in general there isn't really any story they just stopped being. Of course they did get some chance to return - the Demiurge (sp) allied with the Tau were supposed to be a potential return avenue for the  idea of dwarves in space. However Tau really got hooked on their mecha-suits and the whole "Xeno allies" angle was somewhat dropped - heck even today Kroot are quite under-developed compared to the battlesuit core Tau. 

3 hours ago, novakai said:

Technically there is a 40k equivalent to Skaven called the Ratling, there are two of them in Blackstone Fortress. But just like Ogryn and Squats, they are just minor humanoid subspecies of the Imperium. 

Edit: also I believe space skaven made an appearance in “The Beast Arises” series but they got anhiliated by the Ork Empire and the Prime-Orks

In the 8th ed core book, in the aeldari section. There is a page with tons of the different races on them, with one that says redacted, that looks a lot like skaven.

14 hours ago, Mutton said:

After reading about how Malal is a renegade Chaos god of anarchy, how dope would it be for him to come back as a new Destruction force? And maybe he brings some Fimir with him...hmmmm?

GW have said that Malal will never come back - at least under the same name for "reasons" (i.e. they don't own the rights to it).

17 hours ago, novakai said:

Actually, the Skaven equivalent in 40k are the Hrudd - rat creatures which manipulate time/space.  Ratlings are the halflings of 40k.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

GW have said that Malal will never come back - at least under the same name for "reasons" (i.e. they don't own the rights to it).

He's the god of anarchy, they could theoretically bring him back with whatever name they want and it'd still fit. I don't expect it to happen, but it would still be cool.

Scurry-rise my children, the time has come!

Sharpen-ready your weapons for we will marsh-scurry to battle,

Yes-yes 

All things shall suffer-die-Die!!!

It’s isn’t really something for aos, buut since I heard from a few people/players hier who owned the game I thought it might be a good idea to post this video on the community website.

• Like 8
  • LOVE IT! 2

On yesterday's Warhammer Weekly Tom mentioned a few rumors he heard about the Sylvaneth / Gloomspite box.   New Sylvaneth hero, something Branchwychy apparently and there are rumors of a new Wyldwood scenery piece.  They speculated a bit about whether this would be a supplemental scenery piece or replacing the old Wyldwood (apparently it will have a round base if the rumors are correct).

Tom also elaborated a bit more on the Fyreslayers from things he heard saying it is a pretty significant re-write of scrolls and abilities (nothing about new miniatures though).

2 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Scurry-rise my children, the time has come!

Sharpen-ready your weapons for we will marsh-scurry to battle,

Yes-yes 

All things shall suffer-die-Die!!!

It’s isn’t really something for aos, buut since I heard from a few people/players hier who owned the game I thought it might be a good idea to post this video on the community website.

Awesome! I feel like this might be the best trailer they've made yet, that Predator reference was great.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PJetski said:

If it has a base it's probably not scenery. More likely some kind of endless spell.

The current Sylvaneth Wyldwoods do have bases, they are just abnormally shaped, not round so it could be either I guess but Tom's discussion was based around it being scenery. 

We will see, I don't know if I am in for the box though.  I want to start Sylvaneth and while I love the Gloomspite I don't think I want a predominantly Squig based force (which is what I suspect the boxed set will be since the mentioned fungi but the Gitz use the stuff in a myriad of ways, not just the living variation that you can ride to war).