The Rumour Thread

6 hours ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

Turn the Horn 90 degrees = Shadow Aelves confirmed? ^^

Seriously, I would loooove some attention towards Wanderers or Hysh-Aelves. Glad to see so many people speculating about Wanderers. However my first mental Image was some kind of Instrument for the supposed "Light-Aelves" - whatever they may look like :D

arhain.PNG

This was my thoughts though I was leaning more towards 

434FB09B-AA1C-419F-9D13-C765A246E93C.jpeg

Did nobody else made the instant connection with music keys? You know the symbols that indicate the pitch on a sheet of music? Looks like a stylised F-key to me. So it screams slaanesh in my mind. Especially with the gems. 

image.png.aa7ed4a0390f8ecfde5cffa3463f60be.png

(tough translation from Dutch hope that these words are used and it's not the literal google translate)

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 5

30 minutes ago, Nos said:

Man I wish I hadn’t missed that poster who basically just wanted an army that makes him horny 

This is the depth of depravity the AoS news drought has dragged us to. Our collective last two brain cells are bashing against each other hopelessly and that’s what they’re coming up with.

17 minutes ago, Kurrilino said:

Do we know there is a stream or something?

I doubt it. Keeps it special for people in seminar.

2 hours ago, Requizen said:

Badge Pickup opens at 7, the Preview Panel is slated to start at 8 per the event site, so likely the whole thing will take about an hour and then post everything on Community. Can't wait, so close! And then a whole 4 days of gaming...

Actually thinking about it now, if it starts at 8, those times will be when the preview stuff appears rather than the times I’ve guessed. But being in UK I won’t see until I get up anyway 😁

9 minutes ago, Incineroar87 said:

Is adepticon this Thursday or next ? 

This Thursday. Hope we get some sick reveals for AoS or more stuff for Warcry but even if it's just stuff for 40k I think I'll be happy. Actually really hoping they show off the sculpts for the KO warband for Nightvault too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Turin Turambar said:

considering in the lore the Wanderers work for the armies of the free peoples (like all the other aelves factions) and live in the free cities like all the other aelf factions, you could say they share just as much in common if not more with other aelves then weird tree things

Sylvaneth are weird tree things which they were close allies with for millennia, and some of those weird tree things - Tree Revenants - now run around cosplaying as ancient wood aelf [wanderer] warriors ("Protectors" from sylvaneth lore). The Sylvaneth consider the Wanderers "estranged cousins" (Grand Alliance: Order, page 85), and the Wanderers "hope to redeem themselves" (AoS 2 Core Rule Book, page 143) in the eyes of the Sylvaneth and their Everqueen. They do have a "symbiotic relationship" with the Free Cities, "acting as scouts and guerrilla strike forces when necessary, in exchange for occasional shelter and succour" (AoS 2 Core Rule Book, page 143, emphasis my own). This is important because their 'symbiotic relationship' highlights that they represent a separate entity from the cities, and being a nomadic people they largely do not live in the cities themselves but prefer the wild places of the realms (like the Sylvaneth do). "Wanderers are warriors of the wilderness" and when called to war "the kindreds of the Wanderers gather from the wilderness" (GA: Order, page 264). In this, I admit they do share a great deal in common with the Lion Rangers but all the rest of the other aelves are rooted quite staunchly within the cities.

In short, if we consider the lore, the Wanderers occasionally help the forces of the free cities when necessary - sounds like every faction in GA: Order there - and in fact do not live within the free cities as a society but instead are nomads, a lifestyle that is quite unlike all the other aelf factions save the Lion Rangers. And those 'weird tree things' aren't that weird to them - they worship the same goddess and favor the same types of places within the realms to make their homes.

I would love for this rumor engine to be Wanderers, but I think it's a good call that this could very well be a slaaneshi perversion of the trope aelf aesthetic with as little as we have to go on here. My best real guess is it's most likely something new for Sylvaneth, following the pattern of Warhammer Underworld releases being used to showcase and tease upcoming AoS releases and we know they have a warband coming of very aelfy-looking tree spirits. Would be great to see Wanderers buck that trend and come out of nowhere off those 'hidden paths' they're always using though.

• Like 2

@awcamawn calling them weird tree things was supposed to be a joke, and I fully well know their relations  the Sylvaneth have with the wanderers. I was just pointing out that "they share just as much if not more" with free citie aelves to counter the idea they share nothing in common. Aditonally Wanderers are grouped with Aelves not Sylvaneth and in the faction focuses a while back they were grouped with the other aelves into the aelf faction focus. Greywater fastness lore has aelves liveing in the city, but the only aelves they can use in battle are wanderers yet the city is hostile to Sylvaneth [well the other way round], plus as you say they share much in common with lion rangers.

I probably should have said "argueably' they share just as much with the other aelves as they do Sylvaneth. 

I also think mixing them with Sylvaneth would be lazy and pointless, Lazy as its just old wood aelves with rather then something new and interesting. and pointless as Sylvaneth have stuff for elite archers, and both cheap and elite infantry. they only lack cheap archers and cavalry. but this is my subjective opinion. I can see it happening both ways honestly. 

• Like 2

Indeed, Heart of Winter featured a outcast washed-up drunk of a Waywatcher whose clan had been slaughtered. The Sylvaneth Outcasts are notably friends to nobody, and it can be inferred that they have an axe to grind with aelves they see as betrayers to their kind. Had the rest of his clan not been slaughtered by twisted forest spirits he'd probably still be living happily in the wilderness with the rest of his kindred however; he had pretty good reason to not like Sylvaneth but still kept a shrine to the Everqueen. As a society they seem to largely live outside of cities and keep moving, hence the Wanderer moniker. :) 

@Turin Turambar I know the 'weird tree things' was a light hearted comment, but like most good jokes it contained an important kernel of truth so I felt the need to address it while going over the points you had made. The fact that the Sylvaneth truly are so weird, fey, capricious, and mercurial is probably the best reason Wanderers can't/shouldn't/won't get merged in with them. They are beings of magic and see the Wanderers as 'divorced from nature' - which is a pretty serious diss among hippie types. But currently the main driving narrative force for Wanderers is their desire to redeem themselves, so hoping for a merging of the factions is my selfish way of them getting a bit of happy resolution to their current plot. It's also why I don't think their merging would be 'lazy,' as it would require them to move the story forward for both of the factions and thus give us some cool new fluff and story progression. To me, an aelf-soup tome is not at all lazy per se, but it would be the option requiring less effort on GW's part as any fluff within would most likely be repeating what we know of the various aelven factions from their blurbs in the ancient GA: Order book and the AoS 2 Core Book without any new developments fluff wise.

I do agree that an 'aelf battletome' is the most likely option for Wanderers to get anything at all (based on the AoS 2 faction focuses, the new AoS website's faction breakdown, and the updated GW webstore faction categories), and you better believe if/when such a book is announced I'll have my wallet ready with a big smile on my face. I again would prefer a bespoke battletome for Wanderers, but with that seeming unlikely I still hold that they'd retain more of their identity alongside a Sylvaneth update instead of being stuck with a bunch of city-slickin' aelves. 😉

You do bring up a very interesting point with the mysterious Wanderer defenders of Greywater Fastness.  We have descriptions of aelf civilians living in the city, and Firestorm tells us Wanderers make up part of its defense, but all the descriptions we have of Greywater Fastness' military seem to exclusively describe gunpowder based ranged weapons. So who are these 'dark Wanderers?' I've thought it would be a cool army concept since I read the Firestorm book - outcast Wanderers who have turned their back on the spiteful Sylvaneth and their goddess: Glade Guard converted to be wielding firearms, a Waywatcher hero with a sniper rifle, and lots of gritty urban bases covered in soot and sludge to invert the normal wood elf tropes.

But to play devil's advocate again, if we look at the city allegiances available to Wanderers - being Greywater Fastness and the Living City (ignoring Hammerhal as everybody including the Sylvaneth seem to work together to defend that one) - neither allows any other aelf factions except for the Wanderers alone and the Wanderers themselves aren't found in other aelf-centric city allegiances like the Phoenicium - evidence they don't play nice with other aelves? 🤔

• Like 1

@awkamawn i belive the "right way" to deal with Elves would be:

Merge High with Tyrion, Darks with Malerion and Wanderers getting a redemption in the form of a nature spirit (wanderers lore isnt my strenght).

That said, we may still get a long time ahead of us on the line to getting all those Battletomes, i would love a "temporary" book giving us options to play Elves until each group receives a spotlight, but keeping their keywords apart, kinda like the Skaven clans and Skaventide.

1 hour ago, xking said:

"Heart Of Winter" had a Wanderer living in a city and he hated the Sylvaneth.  

What  things i remember from AoS books:

- sylvaneth fighting sce, wanderers, free people 

- free people serving not Sigmar, but Everqueen (so they can fight Sigmar's free people, Religios wars ?)

- wanderers helping sce in a battle and fighting against them in 1 book

- etc...

The only thing i can say about it - this is warhammer, all fights all, any unions are temporary. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

Swifthawks are based on Hyish, for example, why wouldnt they be on Tyrions army?

They are more like mortal wing of Sigmar's scout forces. Corebook describes them like messengers from Azyr, not Hysh. They serve Sigmar, not Tyrion.

Edited by Uiovich
  • Like 2

Weaveweald Spire on  Dreaming Vales of Hysh is the Swifthawk Agent headquarters. Also they guard the Spire of Dawn along the Eldtrich Council. The Spire is also located in Hysh.

People got so caught on the "Angel Elves" when the "angelic" expression also mean gracefull, beautifull and so on.

39 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

Weaveweald Spire on  Dreaming Vales of Hysh is the Swifthawk Agent headquarters. Also they guard the Spire of Dawn along the Eldtrich Council. The Spire is also located in Hysh.

They guard many things across all mortal realms, but like many other 'classic ' elves they survived in Azyr (most or all of their population). 

Whatever malerion and tyrion's elves end up looking like, I can guarantee it won't be aesthetically similar to 10 year or more old WHFB models. 

Aelves will probably get a combined tome and stick around for a bit, but they aren't going to be part of those armies. 

Malerion's in particular are more likely to be draconic shadow creatures than classic elves I suspect. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Uiovich said:

What  things i remember from AoS books:

- sylvaneth fighting sce, wanderers, free people 

- free people serving not Sigmar, but Everqueen (so they can fight Sigmar's free people, Religios wars ?)

- wanderers helping sce in a battle and fighting against them in 1 book

- etc...

The only thing i can say about it - this is warhammer, all fights all, any unions are temporary. 

Slaves to Darkness got their new stuff, only one faction should be next to fight them : Seraphon!!

they fought chaos since the beginning and they will fight chaos when the damn humans are gone for a long time.

Jokes aside, what the world needs are more Dinos!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Do you remember when the metal waywatchers went on last chance to buy at the beginning of aos? People went mad for them and I remember people saying at the time that gw were taken aback by how popular they were and that they would probably make an appearance in another form.

I have literally been waiting since that day for a reason to get a Wanderers army. 

• Sad 1