The Rumour Thread

11 minutes ago, Dirtnaps said:

There's also this which may or may not be an actual design/concept for an upcoming Gutbusters unit.

Since the text mentions the "nine" realms (in the first paragraph), I don't think it is official work but fan-made concepts instead.

23 minutes ago, The Golem said:

Since the text mentions the "nine" realms (in the first paragraph), I don't think it is official work but fan-made concepts instead.

True but there are technically 9 realms, the 8 winds of magic ones and the Realm of Chaos. You are probably right though, I just thought it was worth mentioning in the off chance it is legit.

Edited by Dirtnaps

22 minutes ago, Riavan said:

Nurgle tome also isn't 2.0

It was designed to be compatible with 2.0 along with the Legions of Nagash, Daughters of Khaine and Idoneth Deepkin books, that's why they have the updated logo on them.

Edited by Dirtnaps

Yep and they can easily just add terrain and endless spells to those factions by releasing them with some warscroll cards. Job done, no need for a new Tome. Khorne only wound up with three for AoS thus far because of their popularity and being rolled out early the first two times so they wound up with earlier Tomes fast which went fast out of date due to the more fluid and fast nature of AoS and its rules shifts. 

2.0 though I expect to last a good while; its really akin to the 1.0 release AoS should have had all those years ago when it first appeared. 

2 hours ago, Riavan said:

Nurgle tome also isn't 2.0

Actually they might just update all the Chaos battletome (Tzeentch and Nurgle).

I noticed that the Blades of Khorne mortal guys like Skullcrushers and Juggerlord still don’t have the daemon keyword, and right now there is Tzaangor Skyfires/Enlightened blobs run with that spell that can either bring them back or destroy them, harbinger of decay with witherstave, or Nurgle/Tzeentch heroes using daemon Command traits and lords of affliction activating plague drone locus.

So I feel that GW is likely to remove daemon keywords from the technically “mortal” units

1 hour ago, Riavan said:

I really hope they use the tome release to add a few units for some of the new armies that don't have a ton of unit choice. Like ironjawz.

Yep, Fyreslayers and Ironjawz suffer from that problem, to be really honest. Especially Fyreslayers, it seems super rare to find any Fyreslayers players dedicated enough to buying and painting over 100 naked dwarves

on the other hand, I wonder if the gutbusters battletome, it it does come out, would GW pull a Gloomspite Gitz and ally gutbusters, Beastclaw Raiders AND aleguzzlers? That’d Be pretty cool. 

12 minutes ago, Kaz said:

So I feel that GW is likely to remove daemon keywords from the technically “mortal” units

It would not be totally surprising if they did that whenever they rewrite the book.  They were extremely specific about keywords in the Gloomspite book.  For example the “grot” keyword is actually much more restricted than one might initially think.

20 minutes ago, Kaz said:

Yep, Fyreslayers and Ironjawz suffer from that problem, to be really honest. Especially Fyreslayers, it seems super rare to find any Fyreslayers players dedicated enough to buying and painting over 100 naked dwarves

on the other hand, I wonder if the gutbusters battletome, it it does come out, would GW pull a Gloomspite Gitz and ally gutbusters, Beastclaw Raiders AND aleguzzlers? That’d Be pretty cool. 

Yeah, the argument can be made that Fyreslayers have the most limited unit roster in the entire game for an actual armybook army.

I love their aesthetic up to a point, but the fact is you have two unit kits with 5 poses each, and the only way to fill out an entire army is to build and paint a million of them. Their "elite" unit choices aren't even really elite, you're just paying slightly more for basically the same number of naked dwarves on the field.

Ironjawz and Bonespitterz aren't that much better off, but at least they have Calvary units, and brutes/hardboyz aren't practically the same model.

For Fyreslayers, whether or not they gain any actual unit variety is probably going to be the primary thing that determines if they have any future as an army. I love the guys, and even I can't be bothered to do more than paint up a small force and hope they get updated this year.

For Ogres, I think it's a foregone conclusion is that Gutbusters will roll up Gutbusters, Firebellies, Maneaters, and Aleguzzlers. It makes complete sense and it's already how they are organized on the store.

Whether or not they end up taking in Beastclaw Raiders is harder to say, there's a strong argument to be made either way, and even as a person who likes both Ogor armies I'm torn about it. I kinda just want Beastclaw to keep embracing their own theme and give Gutbusters their own mounted units if necessary.

Edited by madmac
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, madmac said:

Ironjawz and Bonespitterz aren't that much better off, but at least they have Calvary units, and brutes/hardboyz aren't practically the same model.

Ironjawz range is fine.  They suffer more from lack of unit & playstyle diversity than anything else I feel.  If they split up the Brutes & Grunta units into separate units based off of weapons and gave them decent rules the army it would go a long way.  From there a few more heroes and the army would be good.

Bonesplitterz on the other hand suffer top to bottom.  Their kits were already split up into as many units as possible and they suffer from having fairly subpar rules and a general lack of playstyle focus for the army.  They also could use a centerpiece model of some sort.

29 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

Ironjawz range is fine.  They suffer more from lack of unit & playstyle diversity than anything else I feel.  If they split up the Brutes & Grunta units into separate units based off of weapons and gave them decent rules the army it would go a long way.  From there a few more heroes and the army would be good. 

I respectfully disagree and hope the Jawz get more attention than just this... 

Time shall tell. 😕

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

13 hours ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

You’re right, technically they said, 

“While Slaanesh may still be mysteriously absent from the Mortal Realms, his servants have been very busy indeed – we daresay that Wrath and Rapture heralds even more new models for the Hosts…”

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/01/01/1st-dec-the-top-5-things-to-look-forward-to-in-2019gw-homepage-post-3/

Believe what you want 😛 we all do. 

Ahh but Darkoath aren't mentioned at all! What if Darkoath IS Slaanesh?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

I respectfully disagree and hope the Jawz get more attention than just this... 

Time shall tell. 😕

I should probably have elaborated on what I meant when I said the range is fine.  I think the existing models all look great.  The range has a strong unified theme but the different units still manage to look diverse.  Even the various weapon options are visually distinct from a difference.  Fyreslayers and Bonesplitterz on the other hand have issues with most of their range blending together.  I think they need to solve the silhouette issue with those forces and that is going to pretty much necessitate new models.

I hope Ironjawz gets more new models as well.  I’ll always take new models for any armies and especially ones that I play.  But I just don’t feel that they necessarily require many new kits to update the army.  If they wanted to use the existing models and handle the update as mostly rules then I think the existing models have enough for them to work with if that is the route they choose to take.  That said, my personal preference would be for new models.

If nothing else I expect that we will at least see a couple of hero kits added.  The army really needs some more variation for heroes.

Edited by Skabnoze
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

It would not be totally surprising if they did that whenever they rewrite the book.  They were extremely specific about keywords in the Gloomspite book.  For example the “grot” keyword is actually much more restricted than one might initially think.

Yeah, I saw that, I was confused initially since fanatics are obviously still Grots, same with bounderz, I found it really strange, though i do feel it seemed really restrictive

2 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

I should probably have elaborated on what I meant when I said the range is fine.  I think the existing models all look great.  The range has a strong unified theme but the different units still manage to look diverse.  Even the various weapon options are visually distinct from a difference.  Fyreslayers and Bonesplitterz on the other hand have issues with most of their range blending together.  I think they need to solve the silhouette issue with those forces and that is going to pretty much necessitate new models.

I hope Ironjawz gets more new models as well.  I’ll always take new models for any armies and especially ones that I play.  But I just don’t feel that they necessarily require many new kits to update the army.  If they wanted to use the existing models and handle the update as mostly rules then I think the existing models have enough for them to work with if that is the route they choose to take.  That said, my personal preference would be for new models.

If nothing else I expect that we will at least see a couple of hero kits added.  The army really needs some more variation for heroes.

Ironjawz honestly are  THE main Destruction faction. Gordrakk is made out to be the Green jesus (Thrall reference btw), with (almost) everyone flocking to him to get da “honor” of fighting at his side. I think it’s reasonable to expect ironjawz would get more than just one extra model, endless Spells and scenery (less FEC, Skaven, possibly Gloomspite or Khorne scale release? ) 

On the other hand, I’m actually terrified about ogors getting FEC treatment, especially with so much resin kits...

i guess we’ll have to wait until adepticon, because this week looks like Chaos space Marines focus, which might actually finish before adepticon, setting the stage for more AOS stuff

5 hours ago, madmac said:

Yeah, the argument can be made that Fyreslayers have the most limited unit roster in the entire game for an actual armybook army.

I love their aesthetic up to a point, but the fact is you have two unit kits with 5 poses each, and the only way to fill out an entire army is to build and paint a million of them. Their "elite" unit choices aren't even really elite, you're just paying slightly more for basically the same number of naked dwarves on the field.

For Fyreslayers, whether or not they gain any actual unit variety is probably going to be the primary thing that determines if they have any future as an army. I love the guys, and even I can't be bothered to do more than paint up a small force and hope they get updated this year.

For Ogres, I think it's a foregone conclusion is that Gutbusters will roll up Gutbusters, Firebellies, Maneaters, and Aleguzzlers. It makes complete sense and it's already how they are organized on the store.

Whether or not they end up taking in Beastclaw Raiders is harder to say, there's a strong argument to be made either way, and even as a person who likes both Ogor armies I'm torn about it. I kinda just want Beastclaw to keep embracing their own theme and give Gutbusters their own mounted units if necessary.

True. Here’s to hoping for an ale guzzler gargant boss and a gargantherd!!! 

Beastclaws do seriously need a new battletome if they don’t get merged with Gutbusters, though. They suffer similar problems to Kharadrons and Fyreslayers, cool concept, but poor execution. Everwinter’s blessings seems pretty random, lots of resin kits, no magic at all, and lots of angry faces about thundertusk snowballs and equally angry faces about stonehorn stoneskin nerf

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Blightzkrieg said:

I also remember hearing Gutbusters were discussed as a part of the interview when GW were hiring a game designer, but I can't remember how long ago that was or what the source of that is.

The interviews were last summer. I was one of the people who reported on it, but someone else corroborated my account. In theory whoever got the job has now had plenty of time to work up their gutbusters allegiance, assuming that they actually got on and did that, rather than being put on to other jobs.  However if they are actually changing the models then it could take far longer for that to see light of day.

I think that if we are getting a new tome and spells to go with the existing range it could be soon-ish, but equally I wouldn't hold out too much hope. We only know what we were told when discussing our work at the interview, so no inside knowledge like a regular rumour monger.  We have no way of knowing why gutbusters was picked as the interview task (beyond the fact that it wasn't something they had specific plans for at the time). We thus can't be sure what they were planning to do with it after hiring someone.

8 hours ago, Kaz said:

Beastclaws do seriously need a new battletome if they don’t get merged with Gutbusters, though. They suffer similar problems to Kharadrons and Fyreslayers, cool concept, but poor execution. Everwinter’s blessings seems pretty random, lots of resin kits, no magic at all, and lots of angry faces about thundertusk snowballs and equally angry faces about stonehorn stoneskin nerf

100% agree. Those yeti are one of the ugliest models that GW has ever put out, on top of being resin. When measured up to other allegiance abilities the Everwinter table is not only bad, but horribly boring. Really doesn't translate the theme to the tabletop like Blood tithe, the cycle of corruption, ect. I think what I want to see most is a change to dirty snowball. Its not Op, but it just feels awful to play against. Would much prefer it to me something that deals with hordes then a massive snipe.  Also, perhaps, the option to make them *slightly* less elite. 4-5 models is a bit too elite for me, and primarily why I swapped over to guts.

Also, give Guts Allegiance abilities already. They are one of the few factions that literally have nothing. No lore, No Allegiance ability. Least they can do is throw them a bone lol.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Aryann said:

Honestly, if Fyreslayers and Ironjawz get the same treatment as let's say FEC with just Spells, scenery and a book it's fail of the year for GW. They both need at least few models, a release compared to opening a new stormcast chamber. 

GW have said quite a few times that there is NO new Stormcats Chamber of models coming (over on Facebook if I recall right). 

That said they've only so many slots for new models and arimes and more slots for books and terrain. Terrian, books and Endless Spells are all produced overseas and thus GW can increase production of them quicker than models because models have one site of production which is GW HQ in the UK and a limited pool of resources. They can't just hire another factory to increase output

Now they are building a new factory, but its likely not going to be online any time soon. As a result some armies are going to get a new tome, spells and terrain and that will be it; others will get a big revamp with new models and the like. I'm sure GW would love to revamp every army the same, but some are going to pull a short straw this time around. I think that's ok because the bigger barrier to armies being started and played isn't models but having an old out of date battletome or having no battletome at all.

That is the bigger issue - once all armies are updated to 2.0 battletomes then those that didn't get as many new models or which are running with a lot of old sculpts can be updated in time as well. Armies with old tomes or no tome are still suck in that "will it stay/will it go/will it confederate with other armies" bracket where gamers have no idea what will happen.

• Like 5

Different factions have different problems, it's not wise to put them all in the same box, and I don't think GW is planning that either.

First, lets look at recent updates. Beastmen are a large but older range that no one honestly thought would get an armybook before it happened. Terrain, endless spells and a book were enough to re-invigorate interest.

Skaven are also an old, but very large range. They got a new hero, terrain, and endless spells and are doing quite well, in part because a lot of people have just been sitting on their skaven models waiting for a book that made them worth putting on the table.

FEC are a small faction cobbled together out of a handful of old Vampire Fantasy kits. They got a new hero, terrain, and spells and have also taken off recently.

Khorne is a medium sized faction with a slightly dated armybook. They got a new book, terrain, spells, and a couple of new models, both a Plastic Skulltaker and some new kits from Wrath and Rapture.

Seraphon are also a large, mostly dated model range with an ancient battletome. While new models would be nice, a new book+endless spells ect is by far the most important thing for them them.

Kharadron are a brand new army with great models. New models are always nice but by far they just need a re-write of their terrible armybook.

Beastclaw would benefit from some plastic models to replace their awful resin choices, but mostly they need a new armybook.

Ironjawz are an army with little variation that manages to shoulder on mostly because of the fantastic character of their models, and their simple and fun playstyle. Still people tend to move on due to limited choices. A new armybook would be helpful, but not as much as new models, IMO.

Fyreslayers are an army brand new to AoS that was basically a flop. Their armybook is old but not especially bad for it's time, their alliegence abilities are pretty good. Their warcrolls are solid, and the army itself is more mid-tier than low-tier.

No one plays them because they are boring and have no variation, either in playstyle or in visuals. Even in this forum the Fyreslayer discussion thread died shortly after the release of 2.0.  Good luck finding anyone talking about Fyreslayers anywhere on the internet, because there is nothing to discuss.  Wanderers, Dispossessed, and Gutbusters all have more discussion and probably more players, and they don't even have an armybook.

A new armybook won't fix the problem with Fyreslayers, their issues run much deeper than just rules.  Without new models how many people are even going to care enough to buy endless spells for them?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3