The Rumour Thread

3 hours ago, xking said:

It amazes me how some people  can still be so bitter about AoS( it's been like 3 or 4 years). A lot of their arguments boil down to " back in my day things were better, I don't want this darn new thing and anyone else that likes it is  darn stupid"  

In fairness it can take 3 or 4 years to build an army and some of those old world fantasy armies were 20 or more years old. They were big collections that were part of quite a long period of peoples lives. Then suddenly the whole world, lore, armies and everything was swept under the carpet and thrown out and replaced with launch AoS - which lets not forget fragmented pretty much every army; dropped two right on launch day; dropped ALL the rules save for novelty ones and shifted the whole game to round bases. All pretty much in one day - dont' forget this was back in the Kirby days when GW wasn't communicating all that well with fans. 

Fantasy gamers had just had the big "End Times" campaign and were prepared for a big new edition - they weren't prepared for the game to end and be replaced with something that was honestly lesser in nearly all respects save for model quality. I think also releasing Sigmarines at launch left a bad taste for many when they were also retiring strong fantasy trope armies at the same time. 

It was too much change too fast and, honestly, in the wrong direction for most.

For some its going to take a long while to get over that, esp since they have to update their armies to round bases and GW didn't jump on the bandwaggon of making upgrade packs for square to round bases; plus GW sells their bases at quite a premium price for what they are so any who game through GW are looking at a big cost to update what might be 5K, 10K, perhaps more than 20K armies. 

AoS is also very different, it dropped rank and file and wheeling manoeuvres that one got with old fantasy; they dropped rear and flanking attacks. Those are other big changes too. Personally I'd really love for GW to bring back the Warmaster game for AoS (Warmaster Old World would be a fantastic way to support the old world fans, but I can't see GW doing that) and then throw rank and file rules into that. The scale was always better for representing rank and file and with smaller models you can have a more complex table whilst still having room to wheel and turn; at 35mm scale many fantasy tables were often more bare than 40K because you had to leave some room to allow units to turn. 

Anyway rumours rumours er rumours - yeah I don't think we've got any :( Still with Khorne coming out that means the only thing GW has left on the table that they've promised is Slaanesh!

• Like 2

We could try Mariar instead? Or Marinecast!

The toxicity was well earned in those early days - it would be like if GW came in now and took AoS and said. "You know actually what we are going to do is drop all the lines and release a pre-painted skirmish game set in a full steam punk setting." Sure it would get new fans, but any of you with AoS armies would feel instantly irate. Though admitidly there were some who took AoS hate too far; but by and large a good number have now either moved on; gotten over it; got into AoS 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Overread said:

The toxicity was well earned in those early days 

I'm not sure toxicity of the sort we saw can ever be justified or necessary in what is a game/hobby. 

Anyway we are getting completely off topic here - back to rumours everyone! 

(not that I have any sadly) 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Overread said:

We could try Mariar instead? Or Marinecast!

The toxicity was well earned in those early days - it would be like if GW came in now and took AoS and said. "You know actually what we are going to do is drop all the lines and release a pre-painted skirmish game set in a full steam punk setting." Sure it would get new fans, but any of you with AoS armies would feel instantly irate. Though admitidly there were some who took AoS hate too far; but by and large a good number have now either moved on; gotten over it; got into AoS 

False equivalence given all WFB armies were usable for AoS and people were still capable of playing WFB (all 8th editions of it if  they could  find like minded souls).  And it wasn’t a few it was every thread or discussion one had about AoS, further more it was often directed at the players not the game. It’s why TGA exists. 

• Like 4

It really is a bit of a joke though. All the commands to keep this thread devoted to rumours when there's sod all to discuss except for wishlisting and fantasies, except when GW drop a preview on us, and then it's not a rumour. Just change the thread's name to News and we can all stop living this lie.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

There's a, no doubt apocryphal, story that's attributed to various august personages, Frank Lloyd Wright, Eisenhower etc etc, about when they were asked to plan a pathway across a newly developed campus. So the story goes rather than just lay down what they thought would make most sense they recommended seeding the area with grass, leaving it for a period of time and then laying the path down on the naturally developed, well trodden path that people had instinctively made.

Not sure why but that story always springs to mind whenever the weekly call to respect the sanctity of the rumour thread goes up.

🤔

Anyway, back to the rumours, I'm looking forward to hearing that GW might be releasing a Battletome and some scenery for an existing faction at some point in the next 2 weeks to 18 months.

Edited by JPjr
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

It really is a bit of a joke though. All the commands to keep this thread devoted to rumours when there's sod all to discuss except for wishlisting and fantasies, except when GW drop a preview on us, and then it's not a rumour. Just change the thread's name to News and we can all stop living this lie.

+++MOD HAT+++

If there's nothing relevant to discuss then quite simply don't add anything to the thread.  Just because there's a thread doesn't mean it needs to be full up of unrelated discussion and snarky one-liners.  Type your comment, read it and ask "does this add to the overall topic?" - if the answer is no then don't post it.

Ideally the Rumour thread should be about rumours, releases and related items - the mods know it'll go off track a bit, but frankly it's been getting more and more ridiculous with how far off it's gone - often with the same repeat offenders...  There is a limit to our tolerance.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Overread said:

In fairness it can take 3 or 4 years to build an army and some of those old world fantasy armies were 20 or more years old. They were big collections that were part of quite a long period of peoples lives. Then suddenly the whole world, lore, armies and everything was swept under the carpet and thrown out and replaced with launch AoS - which lets not forget fragmented pretty much every army; dropped two right on launch day; dropped ALL the rules save for novelty ones and shifted the whole game to round bases. All pretty much in one day - dont' forget this was back in the Kirby days when GW wasn't communicating all that well with fans. 

Fantasy gamers had just had the big "End Times" campaign and were prepared for a big new edition - they weren't prepared for the game to end and be replaced with something that was honestly lesser in nearly all respects save for model quality. I think also releasing Sigmarines at launch left a bad taste for many when they were also retiring strong fantasy trope armies at the same time.

I believe Brets and Tomb Kings were usable at launch, the ranges werent discontinued until the following year when the Order and Death GA books were released and loads of stuff went on Last Chance to Buy.

The way GW have kind of surreptitiously removed Gitmob and common trolls, then the weird way they discontinued Greenskins has started some alarm bells ringing. What could be next for the chop!?

58 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

you know this thread doesn't require constant contribution right?

• Like 2

Hey, wasn't there a Khorn vs. Serophon plot thread during the Malign Portents event? If I remember correctly we chose to funnel a magick mist through the Aqshy Infinity gear in the Flamescare Plateau to power a time cannon to shoot at the encroaching Orb Infernia, which Khorgas Khul had taken over, to summon the Serophon that had previously been destroyed by him (god I love AOS). I think the hollow moon is still in a state of war between the two factions and does give credence to a possible Battletome update (sorry if this has been mentioned before).

Edited by BrownDog
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, BrownDog said:

we chose to funnel a magick mist through the Aqshy Infinity gear in the Flamescare Plateau to power a time cannon to shoot at the encroaching Orb iInfernia

absolutely howling that this is a sentence that can legitimately be written in English. 😂

but anyway yes, as I understand it the Slann who had been hiding on the orb secretly keeping all the daemonic powers there infighting got killed but was then brought back by the time cannon, so they're all rucking away on the orb again apparently.

Edited by JPjr
  • Haha 1

+++ Mod Hat On +++ 

As quite rightly pointed out by @BobbyB, this topic does not need constant updates if you have no rumours or anything to add about rumours.

Can we please get back to some rumours?

As for those of you who moan about the wishlisting and wot not, please have a chat down your local store or club about some rumours and keep it on topic 😉

Cheers

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BrownDog said:

Hey, wasn't there a Khorn vs. Serophon plot thread during the Malign Portents event? If I remember correctly we chose to funnel a magick mist through the Aqshy Infinity gear in the Flamescare Plateau to power a time cannon to shoot at the encroaching Orb Infernia, which Khorgas Khul had taken over, to summon the Serophon that had previously been destroyed by him (god I love AOS). I think the hollow moon is still in a state of war between the two factions and does give credence to a possible Battletome update (sorry if this has been mentioned before).

Speaking of which at the end we also liberated some old heroes.

Do we know what that led to? Could that be what we are waiting for in the forbidden power expansion?

10 hours ago, Overread said:

they have to update their armies to round bases

I agree with the general tone of much of your post, but in fairness to GW, this was not, and still actually is not, required.

My most recent game used 80 skeletons and 40 zombies on square bases, and my opponent was not bothered in the slightest.

25 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

I agree with the general tone of much of your post, but in fairness to GW, this was not, and still actually is not, required.

It is a requirement for most large tournaments thou. Most player packs state that if models are on squares they will be removed.