The Rumour Thread

Last year we got for 40k Primaris vs Genestealer Cult and Eldar vs primaris. There was a box with skitarii vs necrons that I cant remember if it was 2018 or 2017, but 40k has also the titanicus stuff that got a few boxes last year. For AoS we had the big 2.0 release and Wrath and Rapture (that can count as 40k too), and before we had the stormcast vs nurgle one.

With this I mean thay GW seems to increasing this boxes. December wrath and rapture, february Carrion empire, March 40k Shadowspear, April we will see... and we have to see what's the warcry thing all about. Hope to see more boxes. If they make the ones said (tzeentch vs seraphon, ironjawz vs kharadron, BCR vs fyreslayers...) I think Im going with all of them

1 hour ago, Overread said:

Carrion Empire is an easy thing for them as its only 2 new models in-house - a block out overseas (terrain and spells and book). If they keep it short then the production pressure is less in the long term and they can jump it. 

Just to clarify, although the terrain, spells and book can be produced overseas, that's still a lot of designing/rules testing/writing for gw to do! 

I reckon Khorne will get his new battltome sooner rather than later. I can't think of many times where a picture of the battletome itself has been shown, and it has taken more than a month to come out. 

Anyone have any idea why they reused an old picture for the battletome? Seems strange. I hope it doesn't mean it's been rushed out.

4 minutes ago, Enoby said:

I reckon Khorne will get his new battltome sooner rather than later. I can't think of many times where a picture of the battletome itself has been shown, and it has taken more than a month to come out. 

I agree with this. I think we will see the Shadowspear set drop at start of March and then the Khorne one around end of March. GW are very good at doing a lot of releases (scarily so now!!!)

5 minutes ago, Enoby said:

Anyone have any idea why they reused an old picture for the battletome? Seems strange. I hope it doesn't mean it's been rushed out.

Probably because it's a nice bit of artwork and it sets the tone of the book nicely. 

They re-used artwork for most of the new 40K Codex updates and a good few of the AoS ones too. Skaven is re-used. GW actually has a LOT of internal artwork for a lot of factions; they could make books just on the art and concept art alone for pretty much every major faction out there; esp legacy armies like Skaven or Khorne

12 minutes ago, Carnelian said:

Just to clarify, although the terrain, spells and book can be produced overseas, that's still a lot of designing/rules testing/writing for gw to do! 

They have 4 rules writers in each team. If they each do one book every three months they can put out 12 books a year. There are only 4 background writers (I think) who work on both 40k and Aos, so fewer 40k books means more time to do Aos stuff. 

With something like blades of Khorne which has pretty well established lore I imagine there isn't a huge amount to do. They also don't need to worry about making changes after playtesting. 

I think we will get the khorne book before Adepticon at the end of March.  That would make 4 books in 3 months. A 12 book year is not out of the question:

Current 4 +

Ko, Slyvaneth,  Seraphon,  Ironjawz , slaves to Darkness,  Slaanesh,  Beastclaw / gutbusters and an all new faction.

That doesn't sound too bad.

With battletomes updates I have a question to people who own/compared 1st edition battletome to 2nd/3rd. So far we had two editions of FEC and Khorne and three (or four?) of Stormcast Eternals. I want to ask, how different are battletomes from each edition? Is there new lore? Artworks? I want to know because I'm not sure if it's worth buying new Sylvaneth book (in my case) if the only differences will be like 3-5 pages with allegiance and spells. For warscrolls I use exclusively tha AoS app which is more handy than the book.

Plus lets not forget the new faction could be one of the Aelves which might tidy some of the Aelf listings up. I'd also wager that GW might need to get a new tome out for the Aelves in general - they really need sorting out at least to have attention enough for GW to chop any that are for the chop and to finalise any sorting for them. It's the current biggest "confusing mess" on the AoS listings. Most of the other armies - even those without Tomes - are at least in logical clear groupings (though I'd hope we don't get another Greenskins surprise)

I heard on the rumour mill after Khorne's tome, there will be 5 battletomes this year and each Grand Alliance will get one.

Following is just my guesses on what those could be:

> Chaos will likely be Slaanesh and then a combined Everchosen/Slaves to Darkness 'chaos marauders + warriors undivided' tome.

>Destruction from art shown seems to be an Ogors battletome. It's also the one Destruction faction without a proper tome yet.

>Death is either Soulblight, Deathrattle (though I can see a more Vampire Count style book combining these also) or a combined Deathmage+Deadwalkers soup tome to make a last full faction for Death.

>Order (if it's a new tome) will likely be either be Aelfs (updating high and dark elves to be Light Aelves and Shadow Aelves) or a Freeguild soup. I think the former is more likely. WD is currently doing realm paintschemes and that means Hysh will be done at some point, something we've never seen in lore before outside mentions in the corebook though we know Tyrion's Light Aelves call it home. Combine that with a pretty much excepted Slaanesh release and I feel we'll be seeing Slaanesh vs Aelfs by the summer, given a Light Aelf release will be a nice coincide with the Hysh painting article in that month's White Dwarf.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aryann said:

With battletomes updates I have a question to people who own/compared 1st edition battletome to 2nd/3rd. So far we had two editions of FEC and Khorne and three (or four?) of Stormcast Eternals. I want to ask, how different are battletomes from each edition? Is there new lore? Artworks? I want to know because I'm not sure if it's worth buying new Sylvaneth book (in my case) if the only differences will be like 3-5 pages with allegiance and spells. For warscrolls I use exclusively tha AoS app which is more handy than the book.

The big differences are when you've got a first edition tome. First edition ones didn't have any of the alliance abilities and such; they were pretty much lore and warscrolls and that was it. So those armies get a big update in terms of how their army works and functions; plus alliance abilities and structure can really change the core function and setup of armies.

Khorne are a bit special because they were popular, but an updated Tome is still going to be worth it; esp right now because AOS 2.0 is pretty stable as a system. I'd expect it to stick around for quite a while so those tomes are really worth investing in now. The 1.0 and very early Tomes were worth it at the time; but they've proven very short term because of how rushed those early setups were. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wander said:

I heard on the rumour mill after Khorne's tome, there will be 5 battletomes this year and each Grand Alliance will get one.

Following is just my guesses on what those could be:

> Chaos will likely be Slaanesh and then a combined Everchosen/Slaves to Darkness 'chaos marauders + warriors undivided' tome.

>Destruction from art shown seems to be an Ogors battletome. It's also the one Destruction faction without a proper tome yet.

>Death is either Soulblight, Deathrattle (though I can see a more Vampire Count style book combining these also) or a combined Deathmage+Deadwalkers soup tome to make a last full faction for Death.

>Order (if it's a new tome) will likely be either be Aelfs (updating high and dark elves to be Light Aelves and Shadow Aelves) or a Freeguild soup. I think the former is more likely. WD is currently doing realm paintschemes and that means Hysh will be done at some point, something we've never seen in lore before outside mentions in the corebook though we know Tyrion's Light Aelves call it home. Combine that with a pretty much excepted Slaanesh release and I feel we'll be seeing Slaanesh vs Aelfs by the summer, given a Light Aelf release will be a nice coincide with the Hysh painting article in that month's White Dwarf.

The image is recycled art. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Overread said:

they could make books just on the art and concept art alone for pretty much every major faction out there;

That makes me wish GW had an art book in print right now. I'd love to see them do new ones or even reprint the old ones(they're very expensive to find used right now as far as I've found).

1 minute ago, bsharitt said:

That makes me wish GW had an art book in print right now. I'd love to see them do new ones or even reprint the old ones(they're very expensive to find used right now as far as I've found).

Thing is whenever they do them they are short run things. There's a great Skaven book out there for the Old World (titled the ratmen and something something I forget) but its been out of print for ages. They did some not too long ago for Eldar from 40K and they sold out super fast. It's annoying because Artbooks are the kind of thing I'd pick up on a whim or which I'd have to save for - having them being really short print runs means that there's a low chance of me getting them as when they do appear it doesn't mean i've got the money for them. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Overread said:

Thing is whenever they do them they are short run things. There's a great Skaven book out there for the Old World (titled the ratmen and something something I forget) but its been out of print for ages. They did some not too long ago for Eldar from 40K and they sold out super fast. It's annoying because Artbooks are the kind of thing I'd pick up on a whim or which I'd have to save for - having them being really short print runs means that there's a low chance of me getting them as when they do appear it doesn't mean i've got the money for them. 

They had a horus heresy one out for xmas in their stores. Doesn't interest me, but I'd love one for AoS, particularly with concept art. 

Edit: found it on amazon: Visions of Heresy. Seems to be more a companion to the series with Art, but it's big and has lots of art...

Edited by hughwyeth

1 minute ago, Overread said:

Yeah, it's either the short run or wait until they do a real collectors edition, which are still limited and even more expensive. Unfortunatly it seems that the only really obtainable Warhammer art book is the one from Warhammer Online.

6 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

They had a horus heresy one out for xmas in their stores. Doesn't interest me, but I'd love one for AoS, particularly with concept art. 

Edit: found it on amazon: Visions of Heresy. Seems to be more a companion to the series with Art, but it's big and has lots of art...

Nice I added it to my to buy list. I've been getting into the Horus Heresy lately anyway, so probably a good time to grab that one.

9 hours ago, Enoby said:

I suspect there are a LOT of Khorne players counting on this tome being a bit more than a "tidy-up" of janky rules and 10 pages of errata.

It'll be really interesting to see where they go with an army that's so been historically (necessarily) reliant on stacking buffs onto 6+'s.

There's also the issue of being almost purely melee, and how many viable movement shenanigan options GW will offer up to support this.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

You guys know about Warhammer Art? Not quite concept drawings but way to get some cool artwork https://warhammerart.com/gallery/age-of-sigmar/

Anyway.... Rumours 😉

I have the large glass aluminum prints of Legions of Nagash and Mortarion hanging in my AoS and 40K rooms respectively.

I can vouch for the fantastic quality of their work.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roark said:

I suspect there are a LOT of Khorne players counting on this tome being a bit more than a "tidy-up" of janky rules and 10 pages of errata.

It'll be really interesting to see where they go with an army that's so been historically (necessarily) reliant on stacking buffs onto 6+'s.

There's also the issue of being almost purely melee, and how many viable movement shenanigan options GW will offer up to support this.

I'm expecting an inclusion of ways to dispel enemy endless spells without wizards. Something we'll see (hopefully) continue from here on out for the less magically-inclined factions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

What I would personally like to see is GW making Khorne more anti-magic focused, maybe even allowing them to counter enemy prayers as well. There's already so many armies who's playstyle is fast and hard-hitting, so they need to take Khorne in a slightly different direction than just "Chaos DoK".

Would be thematic but then you'd potentially have certain match ups be unfair. Rock paper scissors is never fun game design.

I think Khorne just needs more options. Being more or less forced into taking Gore Pilgrims to be competitive isn't great.

16 minutes ago, 123lac said:

Would be thematic but then you'd potentially have certain match ups be unfair. Rock paper scissors is never fun game design.

I think Khorne just needs more options. Being more or less forced into taking Gore Pilgrims to be competitive isn't great.

There's already a lot of rock-paper-scissors in the game though: Sylvaneth and Idoneth make shooting armies mostly useless, Arkhan and Nagash counter magic, Nighthaunt counters high rend and Beasts of Chaos herdstone and spells, etc. 

Gore Pilgrims wasn't the only competitive Khorne list by the way: Council of Blood has also been popular.

Edited by The_Yellow_Sign

2 hours ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

What I would personally like to see is GW making Khorne more anti-magic focused, maybe even allowing them to counter enemy prayers as well. There's already so many armies who's playstyle is fast and hard-hitting, so they need to take Khorne in a slightly different direction than just "Chaos DoK".

They're already quite anti-magic focused. Their armies get a load of unbinds, including instant unbinds, and forced casting rerolls. Khorne isn't immune to magic, he just hates it. If they were any more anti-magic, then it would be a nightmare to play against them with any faction using wizards. We don't want to make armies anti-FUN.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1