The Rumour Thread

I'm always amazed how the rumours get out. I know a couple of people who work for GW, either directly or otherwise, and neither spill the beans - it's not worth the risk. I'm guessing some staff have close friends they might let slip some things to just because of the sheer quantity of new stuff that they didn't realise was released, but that hanging threat of job loss (presumably a dream job for a lot of them) helps keep their lips tightly sealed. 

I think a lot of it comes from staff in distribution or warehouses. They might have zero interest in the hobby and think nothing of saying 'yeah I saw a box full of daemons, Wrath and something' to a mate and it snowballs from there. If I worked in somewhere like the Design Studio I wouldn't tell a soul. 

• Like 4

I would say the people most likely to leak are going to be those who have the least to lose. Low end jobs like packing and short term contract work or one off contracts are the kinds of places where GW central could start to see leaks. Another is someone in an utterly different department who has nothing to do with model design or production who might not "realise" the gravity of the leaks (because their department deals with cleaning or somesuch and its not as critical to them) and they hear things in passing. 

Of course once you leave GW central and head out to 3rd parties and outside companies the potential spread gets greater. One big potentail area would be the factories in China, however I think culture and language barrier likely mean that we actually don't see leaks from there; plus its likely that the staff working those factories might not care about us geeks and our rumour addiction.

I think back in the Kirby days we did get rumours from people in the design studio and the like. I think that was because in those days GW was not communicating with fans save through White Dwarf. The schedule was a lot slower and many armies and games didn't see attention for a very long time. I think back then there was more desire from staff to reach out to eager fans. Right now GW is pumping out news 7 days a week every week; they are releasing things every week and running on a mad pace. So there's no need for upper staff to risk it and leak it because its probably coming in a few weeks/months anyway. 

• Like 4

Sorry if I'm a bit late to the party on this one, but figured it might be rumour-worthy!

I was looking at buying the little plastic grot shaman a week or so ago and it was on the UK webstore. Having looked today it's no longer there at all, no non-moonclan grot units are either and any/every old Greenskin model has disappeared. Only Ironjawz, Bonesplitterz or models used in the new Gloomspite book are still there under destruction. I'm sure this fell outside of the made-to-order promotion too. A hint at an upcoming tome maybe?

Signed,

An ever hopeful Ironjawz player

Edited by J.J
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, J.J said:

Sorry if I'm a bit late to the party on this one, but figured it might be rumour-worthy!

I was looking at buying the little plastic grot shaman a week or so ago and it was on the UK webstore. Having looked today it's no longer there at all, no non-moonclan grot units are either and any/every old Greenskin model has disappeared. Only Ironjawz, Bonesplitterz or models used in the new Gloomspite book are still there under destruction. I'm sure this fell outside of the made-to-order promotion too. A hint at an upcoming tome maybe?

Signed,

An ever hopeful Ironjawz player

The question about Greenskinz was asked on the AoS Facebook page a couple weeks ago and it was confirmed that they were discontinued and it's likely the case for Gitmob grots too. So no, almost certainly not a hint of new Greenskinz tome. For destruction we'll probably see at least Ironjaws with a new tome with a chance for Bonesplitterz and Beastclaw(if they do updates at the rate they did 40k 8th codexes, then chances are good) , and probably a new tome for the rest of the Ogors.

• Sad 1

They should just give all the Black Library books the equivalent of Warscroll keywords. Just listing the main factions, repeating main characters, series, timeline, etc.

So just looking at the 2 in front of me you could have...

SOUL WARS

Keywords: Soul Wars, Shyish, Nagash, Sigmar, Stormcast, Nighthaunt, Balthus Arum

PLAGUE GARDEN

Keywords: Stormcast, Nurgle, Ghyran, Realm of Chaos, Hallowed Knights, Order of the Fly, Gardus, Gutrot Spume

Obviously very rough and just off the top of my head but could make it easier to find books you want whilst tipping your hat to the actual game itself.

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Marius said:

So the Stormvault is a boardgame eh, phew! Ive not yet even finished the Sacrosanct guys from Soul Wars so the thought of another chamber being released was making me antsy!

Remember what they've just announced today is 'Stormvault', a boardgame.

This is, I believe (could be wrong), something totally different to the teased 'Forbidden Power' expansion for AoS, which I still think will be some variation on the Malign Sorcery Endless Spells box (still thinking maybe magical terrain but we'll see).

• Like 5

When the Soul Wars ETB kits were first revealed everyone was convinced they were warbands for Underworlds.

Turns out they were wrong.

But now it turns out they were right.

I really like the idea of turning existing kits into new warbands - I hope they do more of this kind of thing in the future.

1 minute ago, JPjr said:

Remember what they've just announced today is 'Stormvault', a boardgame.

This is, I believe (could be wrong), something totally different to the teased 'Forbidden Power' expansion for AoS, which I still think will be some variation on the Malign Sorcery Endless Spells box (still thinking maybe magical terrain but we'll see).

I believe this is the case as well.

• Like 4

Dreadfane though: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/02/15/15th-feb-new-models-games-and-funko-pop-at-the-new-york-toy-fairgw-homepage-post-3/

NYToyFair-Feb15-DreadfaneBox12yfe.jpg

NYToyFair-Feb15-DreadfaneInProgress10tfd

Shadespire stuck with my less gaming-focused friends better than other GW stuff so an even more streamlined version is likely to go down well. Presumably it'll be pretty affordable and not a bad way to get another board. Also I'd already considered getting those ETB stormcast just for being such good models soo...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PJetski said:

When the Soul Wars ETB kits were first revealed everyone was convinced they were warbands for Underworlds.

Turns out they were wrong.

But now it turns out they were right.

I really like the idea of turning existing kits into new warbands - I hope they do more of this kind of thing in the future.

I believe this is the case as well.

I wonder if this what they were designed for but due to development schedules this got pushed back, so they got an AoS release first(If they ended up here first I could see them getting AoS rules anyway like any other warband).

On that note, I'm really curious as to what the Dreadblade Harrows were originally designed as, I just don't buy that they were designed for what they're being used for.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bsharitt said:

I wonder if this what they were designed for but due to development schedules this got pushed back, so they got an AoS release first(If they ended up here first I could see them getting AoS rules anyway like any other warband).

On that note, I'm really curious as to what the Dreadblade Harrows were originally designed as, I just don't buy that they were designed for what they're being used for.

I think that has been the theory for a long time. Why does the Castigator kit include a gryph hound?

Soul Wars felt like it was pushed out of development and into production 3 months too soon.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

Dreadfane though: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/02/15/15th-feb-new-models-games-and-funko-pop-at-the-new-york-toy-fairgw-homepage-post-3/

NYToyFair-Feb15-DreadfaneBox12yfe.jpg

NYToyFair-Feb15-DreadfaneInProgress10tfd

Shadespire stuck with my less gaming-focused friends better than other GW stuff so an even more streamlined version is likely to go down well. Presumably it'll be pretty affordable and not a bad way to get another board. Also I'd already considered getting those ETB stormcast just for being such good models soo...

I really do like the Sequitors in that box. I bought them at launch to even out the weird number of Sequitors in Soul Wars, but if they got the model count right in SW, I probably would have still bought that set for the unit champ. She's probably one of my favorite Stormcast models.

1 minute ago, PJetski said:

I think that has been the theory for a long time. Why does the Castigator kit include a gryph hound?

Soul Wars felt like it was pushed out of development and into production 3 months too soon.

The odd numbers in the Soul Wars is not surprise. GW has a history of starter sets that don't always work. The Battle of Pelenor Fields box for MESBG has one hero per side and way more troops for either to command. Of course they usually have some sort of special mission or rules to play with just the box set and the idea is that you'll buy lots more.

The undersized units in ETB form of existing units isn't too out of place. I think those are less about adding units to the game, but instead of trying to recapture that old feeling of when you could walk into a hobby shop and pick up a blister with a couple of models for few bucks and get started small. If you're going to get a kid started in the hobby with their weekly allowance, you're going to have a lot easier time starting with a couple of models for $15 than a starter set for $40, $80, or $160, or $90+ for the Start Collecting boxes.  Of course if kids are walking into non-GW owned shops, they've got a bigger uphill battle when their 3 or 4 models for $15 dollars is up against 2 D&D models for $3.99 that are primed and ready to paint. But I guess I'm rambling now. I still don't see how the Dreadblade Harrows fits here either, but unless there's some skirmish game that is or was coming that they were heroes or a unit in.

3 minutes ago, michu said:

Another "Freeguild" rumour engine solved. Unfortunately it's new Rogue Trader in mini-Blackstone Fortress

Reveal hidden contents

uilricimtqg21.jpg?width=431&auto=webp&s=f3d282ec5acdc00e24e40cd8f100cd7a2889e7da

I'm impressed that it's all new models. That definitely looks like the kind of small game they'd repackage old models for, though it sound like they'll also be a Blackstone Fortress expansion, so it's a preemptive repackage? Plastic servitor though, so that's cool.