The Rumour Thread

If you read Black Library books there are a LOT of Khorne based stories where its basically a big Khorne lord ruling a fortress who captures random characters and people and pits them in an endless free for all to-the-death arena whilst being watched by masses of chaos warriors. 

I can see it being that. Bring your hero only and have a free for all match with more than two people. Maybe with segmented boards with weapons, items and objectives dotted around for variety. 

Edited by Overread

5 minutes ago, ManlyMuppet88 said:

Isn’t Skirmish the AoS Killteam? I’m not saying it’s as good and there are obviously a lot a differences in the mechanics but isn’t that the gaming niche it fills?

It would seem odd to replace it so soon after being re-done. Not impossible, just odd.

"Re-done" is a bit much for a couple WD articles.  But you're right that it's odd that they would have had those articles in WD at all, given the apparent timing.  Old Skirmish could probably have limped along as it was until the new killteam-ish game came out.

1 minute ago, Overread said:

If you read Black Library books there are a LOT of Khorne based stories where its basically a big Khorne lord ruling a fortress who captures random characters and people and pits them in endless free for all to the death matches in an arena whilst being watched by masses of chaos warriors. 

I can see it being that. Bring your hero only and have a free for all match with more than two people. Maybe with segmented boards with weapons, items and objectives dotted around for variety. 

The teaser definitely make it feel more like an arena style game closer to Underworlds to me more than a Kill Team like game. Who knows, Warcry could just be GW's latest "boardgame" that repackages old models with a few extra cardboard baubles and then it disappears 9-12 months later never to be seen again.

3 hours ago, Overread said:

I'd be dubious about them casting new heroes for every faction for it. That's a big investment in plastic - doubly so if they are thinking even modest long term (ergo each one is its own casting rather than on a single mould with them all) and for use outside of the product range. 

No magic at launch sounds odd too if just because magic is pretty big in AoS and holding it off for an expansion seems just a little odd; though on the other hand that would fast create a big market demand for it as an expansion content. 

Totally agree. Another thing that makes me skeptical is if all the Underworlds warbands have rules how can there be no magic in the game? All the Nightvault warbands are based around wizards.

It'd be great if this was true but some of it doesn't make sense (Exiles and Highborn) and the rest does smell of wishlisting.

3 hours ago, Overread said:

Yeah but if you launch a new game with new models for more than one faction then many are going to assume that those new models are going to set a tone for a wave of new models for other factions too. Just like how Shadspire has the expectation that people will get new models or each army/force added to the game.

Kill Team got hardly any new models. Much of it's appeal was that you could basically buy an existing set and have your gang or whatever. There was the Rogue Trader set later and a few heroes but that was it.

• Like 2

Dude literally changes his story half way through and people are taking this as potentially true?

He starts off saying that his friends were play testers and were talking about it but then half way through he says he saw a unit roster in enough detail to realise that cavalry wasnt in the game?

As for magic not being in the base game, even he says it's chaos focused and who is one of the chaos gods? Oh yea, the god of MAGIC.

Who knows, maybe I'll be surprised and this will pan out to be true but when the guy can't even keep his story straight in a single post then I think I'm justified in ignoring him for now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yeah I'll be taking this with a truck load of salt. There's just too many things in there that don't make a lot of sense and severely limit a whole lot of factions. If it is true then awesome I'll be getting it on day one even if I can't use my IDK or Gloomspite models with it but until we start hearing more about it I'll be remaining skeptical.

Edited by Dirtnaps
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Dirtnaps said:

Yeah I'll be taking this with a truck load of salt. There's just too many things in there that don't make a lot of sense and severely limit a whole lot of factions. If it is true then awesome I'll be getting it on day one even if I can't use my IDK or Gloomspite models with it but until we start hearing more about it I'll be remaining skeptical.

Yeah there's a few things that don't quite add up in that post, so I'm not expecting a true AoS skirmish game anytime soon.

• Like 1

If I was to guess what warcry is, it would pretty much be description given. We have seen darkoath in the art and Stormcast need their 2019 release so that makes sense. Including Shadespire warbands as easy in would be logical. 

It all sounds very plausible. In fact so plausible that it is probably just a guess. Also the lore doesn't match what we know. As things stand chaos control 6 of the all gates and order the other two. It is possible they could update the story but the loss of two all gates by chaos would be a very major event. 

Also linking boards with realmgates sounds strange as the all gates are rediculously huge, not something you would fight a skirmish game either side of. 

I do expect warcry to be something like this though. Hopefully we will get some actual details at Adepticon. 

2 minutes ago, Chikout said:

If I was to guess what warcry is, it would pretty much be description given. We have seen darkoath in the art and Stormcast need their 2019 release so that makes sense. Including Shadespire warbands as easy in would be logical. 

It all sounds very plausible. In fact so plausible that it is probably just a guess. Also the lore doesn't match what we know. As things stand chaos control 6 of the all gates and order the other two. It is possible they could update the story but the loss of two all gates by chaos would be a very major event. 

Also linking boards with realmgates sounds strange as the all gates are rediculously huge, not something you would fight a skirmish game either side of. 

I do expect warcry to be something like this though. Hopefully we will get some actual details at Adepticon. 

Well to be perfectly precise gate in the realm lf Beasts IS NOT controlled by Archaon, as they lost controll of the beast over which it stands. Gordrak just choose not to close it.

Shyish gate might be controlled by Nagash after him unleashing his spell. But yeah, in this case, as far as we know, it was still Archaon controlled.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chikout said:

It all sounds very plausible. In fact so plausible that it is probably just a guess... [...] ... I do expect warcry to be something like this though. Hopefully we will get some actual details at Adepticon. 

Worth noting that in the real world Age of Myth (i.e. the period after the end times blew up the Old World and Age of Sigmar was released) there was a pretty well detailed rumour that did the rounds and was sourced from the fa/tg/uys.

This rumour detailed a world named Regalia and the setting was bubbles of reality with new races and new names for many of the old races. It had enough veracity that it caused endless discussion and even some animosity towards GW (one of the rumoured races was supposedly the Nigmos which is not in the least bit a good word to use) but was entirely made up.

For some of these people they are making things up, doing so deliberately, and gaining great pleasure from lying and misleading people.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lord_blackfang said:

Anyway we know it's fake because GW doesn't playtest :ph34r:

Actually that's not true anymore. In recent GW's podcats (I guess I was the one with Robin Crudace) several groups of playtesters where mentioned, and how they interact with the rule team.

By the way those podcasts (Voxcast and Stormcast) are very interesting, I recommend listening to them during your paiting / assembling session ;) 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I'll eat my hat if that's anything more than wishlisting.

The 'no wizards' thing doesn't add up at all - does Tzeentch even have any heroes that aren't spellcasters? Not to mention the poster boys of this current edition are wizard Stormcast. 

I also don't buy the idea that there'd be rules for that many different units all in the base game. How big is that book?! Not to mention the improbable inclusion of old-school groupings for Dark Elves and High Elves... 

I don't think they'd do another new kind of Stormcast for something like this, either. I could believe new models, but not a whole new type of unit. 

The whole thing reads like it's been crafted to make people want to believe it - by containing all these implausible, people-pleasing ideas, stacked on top of very basic extrapolations from existing stuff ('it'll have no wizards, like Shadespire, and they'll be added later, like Nightvault, and it'll have a starter set with Stormcast, like AOS, and it'll have Darkoath, like in the trailer!')

Consider me a skeptic :P I stand by my belief that Warcry will be much smaller scale than this, and focused only on Chaos 

Edited by robinlvalentine
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ghark said:

Actually that's not true anymore. In recent GW's podcats (I guess I was the one with Robin Crudace) several groups of playtesters where mentioned, and how they interact with the rule team.

By the way those podcasts (Voxcast and Stormcast) are very interesting, I recommend listening to them during your paiting / assembling session ;) 

You're right about the podcasts being interesting... but @lord_blackfangwas joking 😉