The Rumour Thread

the real issue is that it will not be sold outside of the box 😥

and from the image we can spot on thee right side maybe a mutilator, its similar to forsakens of total war (https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9e/15/19/9e1519fb9a550b37c2789532c703c02b.jpg) , i hope in a similar unit type for aos too

LVOStudioPreview-Feb7-ShadowspearArt32yv

Edited by calcysimon

2 minutes ago, calcysimon said:

the real issue is that it will not be sold outside of the box 😥

and from the image we can spot on thee right side maybe a mutilator, its similar to forsakens of total war (https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9e/15/19/9e1519fb9a550b37c2789532c703c02b.jpg) , i hope in a similar unit type for aos too

LVOStudioPreview-Feb7-ShadowspearArt32yv

yeah that in of the down side of those boxes if you just want the hero and not everything else

you either have to wait or scour on ebay for the individual kit

7 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

Aren't the new models from these boxes always released solo after a while?

Yep GW has been really good at that. The duel boxes sell for a while and then GW breaks them down after a few months - varying the time depending on the release. The bonus is that the duel box offers you a steep discount, esp if you buy with a friend or trade away half.

6 hours ago, Carnelian said:

I accidentally double posted so here is some close-up screenshots of the characters from the images. A lot look knightly to me, so I thought perhaps they will be order models, but given the setting its equally possible to be just loads of different human factions that have heard the call of Archaon. The there's definitely Darkoath in there. 

Looking at them, my guess is a starter box with a knightly faction and a darkoath faction. 

I think a majority, if not all, of those images are of Chaos Darkoath guys. Maybe we'll be getting them later in the year when Warcry comes out?

7 hours ago, Overread said:

I dithered over if I wanted to get the collectors edition of the Battletome - but in the end I decided a ribbon, cover and gold edging just wasn't quite enough for me for double the price

Yeah, I wish the limited edition books were more like the fancy ones they used to do in the past that came in a box with some tokens and extras.  The Genestealer Cult limited edition book was really cool.

That said, I did pick up the fancy version of the Gloomspite book even though they did not really do enough in my opinion to warrant the cost.  But it is the first time they have ever given goblins their own army book, I have played them as a full army for over 25 years now, and so I thought of it more as paying a bit extra as a thank you for giving me the army I always wanted.

There are a few other books that I would buy the special edition for the same reason.  If they expand Bonesplitterz or Ironjawz more then I would buy that book.  If Darkoath ends up a full army range inspired by Frank Frazetta’s Conan art style then I would happily buy that book.  And even though I don’t plan to buy an army for common people I would buy the limited edition book in a second if they release a Free Cities style book that combines a lot of the city-dwelling human, dwarfs, aelves, and other races together into an army.  That is such a cool idea for AoS that I would pay extra for the book.

1 hour ago, Overread said:

Yep GW has been really good at that. The duel boxes sell for a while and then GW breaks them down after a few months - varying the time depending on the release. The bonus is that the duel box offers you a steep discount, esp if you buy with a friend or trade away half.

Tell that to the lord relictor from the launch box

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, calcysimon said:

I am still waiting for soul war's minis sold separately and dark imperium "solo" miniatures so I am afraid we always need to wait 1 year or more

There are two kinds of boxes that they make.  There are starter boxes that have unique miniatures, but that generally get different sculpts for a main release later on.  And then there are temporary 2 faction release boxes that are a way to sell new models early.  Usually after a wait those models are packaged up separately.

Its hard to tell which type of box this new 40k box is.  My guess is that their production capacity has increased and they can change the 2 faction boxes so that they contain all new sculpts rather than just a couple new ones and they will release the models separately later on.  But this could also be a Dark Imperium box replacement.  We will have to wait and see.

As someone who has played Black Legion since the 2nd edition 40k Chaos codex I will probably buy a couple sets of this box.  I put my Chaos army in the closet when Dark Vengeance came out years ago with new Chaos models.  I want new standard Chaos marines with the updated Chaos aesthetic and it looks like they are finally delivering that.

2 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Tell that to the lord relictor from the launch box

They never release the models from the core starter sets separately.  What they generally do is release a separate version of those models.  However, there are exceptions such as what they did for Chainrasps.

7 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

They never release the models from the core starter sets separately.  What they generally do is release a separate version of those models.  However, there are exceptions such as what they did for Chainrasps.

Hehe I found it funny ;) But that's kind of the seiruous point in there. Gw does work with a lot of exceptions on what we interpret as their rules. I wouldn't count on models from sets getting seperate releases.

32 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Hehe I found it funny ;) But that's kind of the seiruous point in there. Gw does work with a lot of exceptions on what we interpret as their rules. I wouldn't count on models from sets getting seperate releases.

If it’s essentially a new starter, with pushfit models, no. If they’re full kits, then they’ll be released separately at some point. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

1 hour ago, Still-young said:

If it’s essentially a new starter, with pushfit models, no. If they’re full kits, then they’ll be released separately at some point. 

It is not uncommon for GW to plan the sprue in advance such that not only are the factions in seperate halves, but individual unit(s) on a single sprue and can be sold individually.  Look at the first AoS starter, the leaders were sold seperately.  40k Deathwatch Overkill Broodcoven, etc.  WHQ Silver tower had some of the heroes on seperate sprues too. 
GW is smart. they will find a way when it makes sense. 

Huh, with the clan rats being the only model going no longer available (aside from metal duplicates of other available models), I assumed they were going to be the only rebox with round bases, especially after the lack of rebasing with Beasts of Chaos and Gloomspite, but d@mn, they redid the whole Skaven army, even the old metal and resin ones. Maybe the rumor I heard was right and they actually are going to start packing everything with rounds.

One interesting thing I noticed is that for things that have been webstore only and are staying that way(i.e. not technically reboxed), they say they come with round and square bases. So it sounds more like GW is finally doing the right thing™ and just sending round bases with things they're already shipping directly anyway instead of trying to double dip by selling models with square bases and then selling the proper round bases for extra, Hopefully we see that more widely across the web store soon.

15 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

Huh, with the clan rats being the only model going no longer available (aside from metal duplicates of other available models), I assumed they were going to be the only rebox with round bases, especially after the lack of rebasing with Beasts of Chaos and Gloomspite, but d@mn, they redid the whole Skaven army, even the old metal and resin ones. Maybe the rumor I heard was right and they actually are going to start packing everything with rounds.

One interesting thing I noticed is that for things that have been webstore only and are staying that way(i.e. not technically reboxed), they say they come with round and square bases. So it sounds more like GW is finally doing the right thing™ and just sending round bases with things they're already shipping directly anyway instead of trying to double dip by selling models with square bases and then selling the proper round bases for extra, Hopefully we see that more widely across the web store soon.

clan rats were in a retail box before, and are in a retail box now. They are going to be in retail stores. Hence they were "reboxed". 
Everything else is metal, so it wasn't reboxed, just shipped with a different base in the generic webstore only packaging. (all that stuff still webstore only)

Bit of an odd one: there are two different products on the site for FEC.

One is Crypt Ghast Courtier for £29 - 20 models

The other is Crypt Ghouls for £25 - 20 models

The only difference seems to be that the Crypt Ghast Courtier entry says about the box being packed with extras.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

9 minutes ago, Lukezilla91 said:

The only difference seems to be that the Crypt Ghast Courtier entry says about the box being packed with extras.

That is odd, same thing on the US side ($40 and $47). According to miniature market, they price was $40. Maybe a price hike but they forgot to take down the old one?

12 minutes ago, Lukezilla91 said:

Did they put in enough models so you can build a courtier without having 9 ghouls wasted? O.o

1 minute ago, JackStreicher said:

Did they put in enough models so you can build a courtier without having 9 ghouls wasted? O.o

That'd be nice, but to do it, wouldn't they basically have to redo part of the sprue separately, and if they're going to do that, why no repackage it by itself for $25?

3 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Funnily enough I asked myself that one,  maybe they’ve thrown an extra sprue in there but with no extra bases? (I’m not sure how the sprues are laid out for them so I’m not sure how many ‘free’ sghouls that would net you)

17 hours ago, xking said:

Check out this interview with David Guymer on his Hamilcar novel  https://www.trackofwords.com/2019/02/09/rapid-fire-david-guymer-talks-hamilcar-champion-of-the-gods/

Hamilcar is one AoS's best original characters.

I read the bear eater story in last year's black library celebration, it was probably one of the worst things I've ever read. Genuinely, I've read work by creative writing students of a quality far beyond that "professionally written" story. Even the basics, like scene setting, personal descriptions etc were awful.

I've noticed that a fair few BL books are quite light on descriptive details. I think its partly because most of what they describe are models in the range so a qiuck glance at the GW website often shows you all you need to know; and is likely  considered "expected" knowledge on the part of the reader.