The Rumour Thread

3 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

3) new battletome for every grand alliance: Order is the only GA missing so far, it could be combined with point 1 above or could mean Sylvaneth, KO, etc...

I don't beleive we will have tomes this way. They more likely say that we have a tome for Chaos when Skaven is out, a tome for destruction when gloomspite is out etc...

5 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

1) brand-new armies: that’s plural and does not include what was presented in the past or Slaanesh or StD as those are already existing! Super excited!

Technically, StD and Slanesh are new armies as they don't already have a specific battletome and too much change to tell that it is an update...

But maybe something new, out of nowhere like KO or IDK, lets hope....

7 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

as well as classic armies updated for the new edition

Some of them will be updated, yes. But all of them???? dunno...who knows but GW? 

5 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

1) brand-new armies: that’s plural and does not include what was presented in the past or Slaanesh or StD as those are already existing! Super excited!

The thing with Slaves to Darkness is it might be named differently i.e. Darkoath and new minis might be a majority of the range, thus treated as a new army.

They also might not had been super careful with wording. If Slaanesh receives same treatment as other 3 chaos gods then I would treat this as a *new* army.

If they are about to update all the existing armies I'm not sure how much room is there left for big releases. Std and Slaanesh are almost a sure thing. Will there be more?

12 minutes ago, Requizen said:

Was anyone there for the Q&A? Sometimes they let slip little tidbits...

I wasn't but a friend was.  He said they alluded to the fact that Sylvaneth do have a book coming.

Let me reiterate the rumor for a couple pages back.  We are getting a whole slew of Battletomes this year, much like 40k got last year.  Don't be surprised if this is a 10-12+ battle tome year.  We will likely have multiple weeks of 2 battletomes released without significant fan-fare, like the FeC/Skaven dual release next week.

1 minute ago, Thomas Lyons said:

I wasn't but a friend was.  He said they alluded to the fact that Sylvaneth do have a book coming.

Let me reiterate the rumor for a couple pages back.  We are getting a whole slew of Battletomes this year, much like 40k got last year.  Don't be surprised if this is a 10-12+ battle tome year.  We will likely have multiple weeks of 2 battletomes released without significant fan-fare, like the FeC/Skaven dual release next week.

There were some 40k fans who were disappointed that GW was shoving out two books at a time with little fan fare, but I'd be glad to have that treatment for AoS just to get caught up.

4 hours ago, Mungrun said:

Maybe this was mentioned before, i'm sorry in that case.

But taking a closer look into this image:

LVOStudioPreview-Feb7-BoKBattleshot29hvr

You can see the BoK fighting against the Deathrattle. Do you think Deathrattle will have his own battletome this year? 

Don’t get my hopes up like that! Lol

I would love a death rattle battletome with the return of Krell riding some giant skeletal beast.

17 minutes ago, Thomas Lyons said:

That's something I'd appreciate, to be honest. More armies with Battletomes is only good for the game, go ahead and add new models later. 

I still assume that anything in GHB2018 is getting a Battletome - so that leaves Seraphon, Fyreslayers, Free Peoples/Dispossessed (maybe rolled together?), Wood/Dark Elves (soup? added to Sylv/new Malerion stuff?), Slaanesh, Slaves to Darkness, Ironjawz (maybe get some other Greenskinz stuff rolled together?).

Everchosen has a pre-GHB Tome, I imagine they'll be included with Slaves to Darkness. 

If Sylvaneth get updated, then perhaps BCR and Bonesplitterz too. BCR maybe souped with Gutbusters?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lord_blackfang said:

Really sour reveals for AoS.

Forbidden Power: Endless Spells 2, Electric Boogaloo: 17 new ways to deal D3 mortal wounds.

The Khorne 3.0 that nobody asked for, with totally not endless spells.

Sylvaneth warband for WHU looks well sculpted but a bit samey.

War Cry better not mean a discontinuation of WHU. I would assume arena gladiatorial combat between chaos, chaos, chaos and chaos.

I asked for Khorne 3.0.  I didn't expect it so soon, but they have a lot more potential than just Gorepilgrims and a new book should help that.

2 minutes ago, Requizen said:

BCR maybe souped with Gutbusters?

I'm also into the rapid release of battletomes, even if it shortchanges some factions of a massive release. The underrated part of that approach is this: JUST THINK OF HOW MUCH LORE WE'RE GOING TO GET!

It was less relevant with 40k, as the Codexes were just re-issues of established factions, but let's not forget that Gutbusters, Wanderers, Dispossessed etc. have had very slim write-ups in this new setting, so we don't yet have their 'identity' nailed down. 

I do hope 'soup' doesn't become the default. This is a personal opinion (I did a whole wishlist write-up on reddit about it) but I DO NOT WANT BCR and Gutbusters combining. I'm a narrative guy, so combining factions is something which I'd want lore justification before a mechanical one, and the whole Everwinter nomad theme the BCR have is difficult to marry with the more traditional tribal Gutbuster Ogors. Same reason why Bonesplitterz and Ironjawz benefit from separation.

As for Wanderers and Sylvaneth or Fyreslayers and Dispossessed, I can see lore reasons why you'd want them to combine. Both would be strained alliances, but that's good: internal conflict can make for interesting stories. Allarielle would be resentful about the Wanderers abandoning them, but be forced to accept their return because of the dangers posed by Nurgle and Nagash, while the Dispossessed/Fyreslayer alliance could be established by Grungni, finally deciding to return to his people and leveraging a promise to help the Fyreslayers reassemble his brother Grimnir in return for partnership (throw in the shock return of Valaya, and you got yourself a Gloomspite Git tri-faction book). 

The Aelves, though... that's a messy situation. I think the old saying applies to GW here: ****** or get off the pot.

They've had over 3 years, it's time to  pull an Ironjawz (flesh out one or two unique units into a whole faction) with some subfactions (Phoenix Temple are probably the best choice) and bung the rest together so they're playable. 

17 minutes ago, Requizen said:

That's something I'd appreciate, to be honest. More armies with Battletomes is only good for the game, go ahead and add new models later. 

I still assume that anything in GHB2018 is getting a Battletome - so that leaves Seraphon, Fyreslayers, Free Peoples/Dispossessed (maybe rolled together?), Wood/Dark Elves (soup? added to Sylv/new Malerion stuff?), Slaanesh, Slaves to Darkness, Ironjawz (maybe get some other Greenskinz stuff rolled together?).

Everchosen has a pre-GHB Tome, I imagine they'll be included with Slaves to Darkness. 

If Sylvaneth get updated, then perhaps BCR and Bonesplitterz too. BCR maybe souped with Gutbusters?

they just probably follow AoS website faction layout they did for AoS 2. the only previous BT army that they merge where just Clan Pestilins into Skaven and Everchosen into StD. they clearly specify that Gutbuster and BCR are of different armies along with Free people and Dispossessed

The real problem with combining Fyreslayers and Dispossed is that neither faction really gets anything out of it. Seriously, in terms of mechanics they are largely identical already.

Slow, tanky infantry units backed by support heroes describes both armies to a T.  They both have tunneling as a hero limited deepstrike mechanic. Even Auric Hearthguard and IronDrakes are almost the same unit in terms of stats. Different models but they gain basically no new options by combining.

Fyreslayers have so much more potential to be more interesting by continuing off in their own direction, (More fire, more monsters, new mounted units, ect) and Dispossed are much better served melding with Ironweld to reform the old Dwarf army.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Neinball said:

Don’t get my hopes up like that! Lol

I would love a death rattle battletome with the return of Krell riding some giant skeletal beast.

The problem with Death rattle getting their own book, is that they're pretty central to Legions of Nagash, where as you can take Nighthaunt and Soulblight, and you've still got a funtioning army. I think we'll see Death rethought(LoN definitly feels like a stop gap) that's more that a new LoN tome. I'd love to see Soulblight go its own way with new vampire stuff(maybe neferata and manfred go here too), deadwalkers move to FEC with zombie the peasant bowmen to the ghouls men at arms(probably zero percent chance of happening), and then death rattle, deathmages and deathlords end up in an army with Arkhan in command, with Nagash being in that book, but has keywords for all the death factions(like Archaon with the all the Chaos marks).

Honestly considering what is actually left of High Elves they would REALLY easily merge into an angelic Aelf army. Dragon riders, dragon armoured horses, mage archers, pheonix and skycutter are all ideal for that. Throw in some aleves with wings; some troops and a few heroes and you've got an army right there.

Ally in the lions and you've got an army. 

Heck bring the wood elf deer riders in too 

Edited by Overread
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, madmac said:

The real problem with combining Fyreslayers and Dispossed is that neither faction really gets anything out of it. Seriously, in terms of mechanics they are largely identical already.

Slow, tanky infantry units backed by support heroes describes both armies to a T.  They both have tunneling as a hero limited deepstrike mechanic. Even Auric Hearthguard and IronDrakes are almost the same unit in terms of stats. Different models but they gain basically no new options by combining.

Fyreslayers have so much more potential to be more interesting by continuing off in their own direction, (More fire, more monsters, new mounted units, ect) and Dispossed are much better served melding with Ironweld to reform the old Dwarf army.

I don't think there's much danger of Fyreslayers getting combined with Dispossed. A whole slayer army has been a long time coming(with it's own book, I think you could run all slayers at various times in WHFB) and I don't think they're going to undo it now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, novakai said:

they just probably follow AoS website faction layout they did for AoS 2. the only previous BT army that they merge where just Clan Pestilins into Skaven and Everchosen into StD. they clearly specify that Gutbuster and BCR are of different armies along with Free people and Dispossessed

Interesting to look at. If you just go off the list of armies on the website, there are 25 factions:

• 3 Death (Legions, Nighthaunt, Flesh Eaters) - all have or about to receive a Battletome
  • 5 Destruction (Ironjawz, Gutbusters, BCR, Bonesplitterz, Grots) - Gutbusters missing a tome or GHB faction rules, Ironjawz need to be updated. BCR and Bonesplitterz potentially updated?
  • 7 Chaos (StD/Everchosen, Skaven, Beasts, Khorne, Slaanesh, Nurgle, Tzeentch) - StD and Slaanesh need books, Khorne getting updated, rest have relatively new ones (though Tzeentch is an easy bet for Endless Spells going forwards)
  • 10 Order (SCE, Aelves, ID, DoK, Dispossessed, Fyreslayers, KO, Sylv, Free Peoples, Seraphon) - DoK and ID are probably not getting anything soon, which is fine. Aelves would then get a full soup treatment, which is probably ok? Fyreslayers and Seraphon need an update and are prime targets for terrain/Endless. 

Note: 25 is pretty similar to the number of factions in 40k, which I think is the army count they're shooting for. If they add a brand new army, it'll be slow, maybe 1 every year or every other year going forward, I doubt we see as much brand new stuff as we've seen in the past couple years. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

I don't think there's much danger of Fyreslayers getting combined with Dispossed. A whole slayer army has been a long time coming(with it's own book, I think you could run all slayers at various times in WHFB) and I don't think they're going to undo it now.

Agreed, that said, I think that is how you fix Dispossessed.  By the lore, they're dwarves that have been rejected from their holds, hence the name. I think you keep the core faction and keywords, but allow them to include any other Duardin keyworded unit (so FS, KO, Iron Weld) in the army as not an ally, although they gain the dispossessed abilities (i.e. grudges for past sins against them, resolute, etc.). So those other allegiances (KO and FS) maintain their distinct character, while recognizing that even Fyreslayers can be dispossessed of their holds and find common cause in grudge-settling with their kin. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I suspect a good chunk of the order range is due for a culling, but not until some more new factions are released to replace/absorb chunks of it. Much like how GW didn't officially pull Gitmob and Orruks until Gloomspite was released.

Freeguild IMO are largely placeholders until a new human faction is released, likewise the final fate of the various Aelf leftovers won't be fully apparent until the Shadow/Light Aelf factions are released, and it may be a while before we get any of those factions.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Thomas Lyons said:

Agreed, that said, I think that is how you fix Dispossessed.  By the lore, they're dwarves that have been rejected from their holds, hence the name. I think you keep the core faction and keywords, but allow them to include any other Duardin keyworded unit (so FS, KO, Iron Weld) in the army as not an ally, although they gain the dispossessed abilities (i.e. grudges for past sins against them, resolute, etc.). So those other allegiances (KO and FS) maintain their distinct character, while recognizing that even Fyreslayers can be dispossessed of their holds and find common cause in grudge-settling with their kin. 

I can~t shake the feeling that Dispossessed might become a larger release somwhere i nthe fututre (perhaps even after a BT which might come soon). Since Fyreslayers represent Grinir whereas Dispossessed represent Grungni.

Just now, Thomas Lyons said:

Yeah, I'm less certain on the mechanics front (not my area, that's for others to offer their expertise) but in terms on lore, I think a Khardon/Dispossessed merger makes sense along the lines of an Ancestor god reunification (which therefore leaves out the 'post-enlightenment' KO).

• The Fyreslayers have a distinct and established culture of lodges, but their main priority is restoring the shattered essence of Grimnir.
  • Grungni, who could act as the Dispossessed's 'returning ancestral father', could offer the Fyreslayers help in that quest in return for reestablishing old alliances.
  • Perhaps Valaya manages through some contrivance to escape Shyish/Nagash's belly, where she could act as a third party keeping the brothers together (release a few models so it acts as the Thunderscorn/Troggoth smallest third faction). 

Presto, three factions in one book. Like the Gitz, each has a distinct identity but have a strong unifying theme (with GG it's permutations of the Bad Moon, with Duardin it's the Ancestor Gods). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

I can~t shake the feeling that Dispossessed might become a larger release somwhere i nthe fututre (perhaps even after a BT which might come soon). Since Fyreslayers represent Grinir whereas Dispossessed represent Grungni.

I sure hope so as well.

Without getting too much into wishlisting, I wonder what sort of stuff would be in a Dispossessed Battletome. Their current Allegiance Abilities are a bit boring (autopass Battleshock on a 1-3, choose a Grudge), but since they're pretty generic Fantasy Dwarves I'm not sure what other rules, Terrain, or Endless Spells/Prayers/Grudges/etc would be interesting. I'm excited to see, though!