The Rumour Thread

17 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

Like clockwork, after people being disappointed by something, comes all the people accusing them of whining.

@Kirjava13 So what you're saying is in their munificence Games Workshop has provided something for everyone then! truly we are living in a golden age of the hobby, all hail GW!

• Like 1

Thing is this preview might only be looking 2 months down the line. Underworld, Chaos, Space Marines, Khorne that's 5 of the 8 weeks of two months already gone. I agree that "news of a news release" is somewhat a muted result; but considering how big a release soulstorm was and there's another and Warcry that's two bigish things to look forward too probably at the midyear point.

Edited by Overread
  • Like 1

OH WAIT And we forgot there's going to be a 2019 community survey! 

Now cometh the chance for all loyal AoS fans to unit and ask for GW to please - Bring Back TOMBKINGS! 
I'm serious I think a united front and we've really got a chance. It's about the last big thing I can think of that AoS could do with having come back. I'd also say we could make a strong call out for a cavalry heavy human based faction as well (we won't get knights of old bretonnia but we might get something similar). 

• Like 1

Just worth noting that the LVO event tends to have a heavier 40k playerbase than AoS, plus we're currently within a 40k event timeframe.  Last year had a similar split between 40k and AoS, so I don't think we need to be worried about us not getting many releases this year.  We actually tend to get a heavier reveal at Warhammer Fest (11/12 May) - last year it was all of the Soul War stuff.

My own opinion of the battletome announcement is that this year we're going to get a rapid-fire battletome release in the same way as they did for 40k.  So many of the larger ranges receiving a new book that brings than back into the fold of being an enjoyable army to play with/against, hopefully with some Endless <item> miniatures and possibly scenery piece.

GW has a very specific reveal process - real miniatures will be released within the next 3 months and artwork generally within the next 12 months.

• Like 3

Just now, Aryann said:

Please... Each time somebody mentions tomb kings or bretonnia in the rumour thread a small panda cries somewhere in the world. 

Hey we got Sisters of Battle back by asking :)

TK I think have a real chance, esp as good few of their older models are still very much in keeping with AoS and its themes and style. Throw some new skeleton warriors and a new lord or two at them and some terrain and endless spells and many of their old models would work - scorpions, walking sphyinx; towering bone giants, skeletons riding undead mechanical snakes - all fits ideally with AoS. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Umjammerlama said:

It looks like from the preview, another Stormcast Eternals Battletome.  Am I guessing right? 

Actually no.  The GW social media guys chimed in after the preview and basically stated that Stormvaults =/= Storm Chamber.  

Judging by other statements, it looks like Forbidden Power is probably more in line with what Malign Portents was.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Just worth noting that the LVO event tends to have a heavier 40k playerbase than AoS, plus we're currently within a 40k event timeframe.  Last year had a similar split between 40k and AoS, so I don't think we need to be worried about us not getting many releases this year.  We actually tend to get a heavier reveal at Warhammer Fest (11/12 May) - last year it was all of the Soul War stuff.

My own opinion of the battletome announcement is that this year we're going to get a rapid-fire battletome release in the same way as they did for 40k.  So many of the larger ranges receiving a new book that brings than back into the fold of being an enjoyable army to play with/against, hopefully with some Endless <item> miniatures and possibly scenery piece.

GW has a very specific reveal process - real miniatures will be released within the next 3 months and artwork generally within the next 12 months.

This would be great. I would be happy with this. 

I really hope that maybe Gutbusters or Ogors get a battletome, endless spells and maybe a new model?

I would also be happy about BCR endless spells. Endless spells which reflect the nature of the Everwinter. 

We have all kinds of endless spell types (Fire, nature, light, shadow etc.), but we don't have any ice or snow endless spells. So I can see them releasing snow/ice themed endless spells for BCR.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Just now, ManlyMuppet88 said:

Personally, I don’t think we’ll ever see Tomb Kings back as they were because it’s not a defensible IP. The Egyptian Mummy theme is just way too common and GW seems to be making efforts to distance itself from a lot of those old archetypes.

Feel like that “model” is just art anyway.

Are Grim Reaper bedsheet ghosts that unique, though?

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

None of GW's IPs are defend-able in the least. 

Daughters of Khaine have Greek themed harpies and medusa; dwarves in skyships and underground are as common fantasy/steam punk as you can get; stormcast are just marines in fantasy (and marines are already not defendable). Aelves are just elves; etc..

There's nothing that GW makes that has an IP so unique that its defendable in any context. The only thing they can protect is the lore, name and specific designs which are the same no matter what. They can just rename them the "Skattetiewarbles" and its just as defendable as Melusai and Khinerai ;)

• Thanks 1

I actually need tomb Kings back GW were blind fools to squat them. Settra is THE character. His absolutism and sheer belief in himself is awe inspiring. A repowered Settra vs nagash would be the ultimate battle royale. Bring back necrosphinxes and re do the bone giants. Truly would be amazing. The actual soul wars. 

You say that but then why Orruks and Aelves? GW have shown that they will go to great lengths to defend their IP and have done so successfully in the past. Tomb Kings feel like a victim of the frustrating reality of that situation to me but I don’t work for them so my guess is a good as the next persons.

52 minutes ago, Icegoat said:

I actually need tomb Kings back GW were blind fools to squat them. Settra is THE character. His absolutism and sheer belief in himself is awe inspiring. A repowered Settra vs nagash would be the ultimate battle royale. Bring back necrosphinxes and re do the bone giants. Truly would be amazing. The actual soul wars. 

The only "redeeming" factor seems to be a rumour that Tomb Kings and Bretonia were squatted by mistake .... (apparently "some people" forgot about them when the transision was made). 

6 minutes ago, eciu said:

The only "redeeming" factor seems to be a rumour that Tomb Kings and Bretonia were squatted by mistake .... (apparently "some people" forgot about them when the transision was made). 

I think the actual answer is that they were just not selling well if at all at the time. 

Remember AoS launched when Fantasy was basically dead. Years of GW ignoring them and focusing on Lord of the Rings more so meant that fantasy was a dead duck and TK and Brets were two of the worst selling. I think TK had issues not because of models, but because everything they did rules wise was done better by other factions and their core skeletons were very dated by then. 

However I think if we'd stuck with AoS at launch as it was then we'd have seen more armies squatted very fast too.