The Rumour Thread

Since leaked pictures are not allowed here, some infos regarding february WD content for AoS :

- Skirmish campaign rules

- Modelling and painting guide for Chamon, the realm of metal

- A short story

- An article on the Hammerhands (Tome Celestial)

- A showcase of a Hammers of Sigmar army

- A paint splatter article for Hammers of Sigmar

- A new battleplan created by Jervis Johnson

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Nos said:

Detest is a strong word man.  Of all the things in the world to detest right now, a specific form of fairytale over a slightly different one seems like an odd choice. 

You might not agree with the lore but it’s harmless and not remotley hateful or problematic.  And the free rules are something you can apply to literally any minis in existence, you don’t have to even rub up against the lore if you don’t want, play it using Warhammer minis, historical minis, honestly you don’t have to read the word Stormcast ever again and you can still play the game in its entirety if the system is what you like. Go forth and enjoy thyself.

Given all that freedom and flexibility it seems weird to use such strong language about something you can simply ignore. Among a fan base of people who either don’t hate it or have the capacity to look past the things they don’t like about it  (which it is easy to do) rolling in and explaining you detest it isn’t going to come across well. 

When AoS first came out i really reaaaally hated the new lore. It felt empty and at times a bit over the top for sack of it. But as the battletomes came out they started to dial back the craziness and started to explain how some things worked in the realms. The Daughters of Khaine book has been my favourite so far in a narrative context, it lets us delve into the hidden parts of the lore that we had to previously make up for ourselves. Then we got maps of the realms when soul wars was released and that was amazing. Finally I could design my army around a region on the map, interlink it with different races and points of interest around the spot I chose and help me decide on basing and colour schemes.

Then the Gloomspite Gits battletome came out and oh boy is that book good. As a long time Destruction player ive always wanted to know more about how Destruction lives in the different realms and this book covers that perfectly. We never really got to understand the Ironjaw and Bonesplitters way of life that wasnt just stab up some gits because Waaagh! and dance around their bones collecting Pokemon JU-JU spirits. We got to see how the Moonclan and Spiderfang settlements are made and how there hierarchy works. We got more insight into a few more God Beasts like Boingob (my favourite) and the different aspects of the Bad Moon that they worship. 

Suddenly we have something to build our own narrative behind, whilst yeah its good to have freedom to make up your own backstory and aesthetics but I believe it needs to be rooted to something. When AoS first came out it was very much do whatever you want its your fantasy, and I really didnt like that, I really loved the Old World, its nations, beliefs, geography, gods and monsters. I could for instance pick Lustria to be where my Empire Regiment was from, led by Marco Colombo raiding the treasures of temple cities of Tlaxtlan.

Having too much freedom can make the whole setting feel naff, yes my Stormcast are from the essence of Gods and they have never been beaten, they ride lightning unicorns to battle and they are armed with lighting bolters from a different universe. Yeah doesnt fit in with someone elses army.... Just imagine if Lord of Rings had that type of freedom, Goblins swarming over the Fellowship of the Ring and suddenly Gimli bursts through a wall riding a T-Rex with lightsaber claws. Just doesnt feel right does it, even if that would look cool.

Its nice to be able to dial all the craziness down and being able to match your fluff to the current setting. You shouldnt need limitless realms and possibilities, a bit of realism in your High Fantasy makes things more palatable and thats why im liking the new directions AoS is going. Dark and gritty, expanding how people live in the realms (not just fighting all the time), giving us maps, expanding the story line further.

Now I love AoS when at the start I hated it. 

+++ Mod Hat On +++

Please keep on the subject of Rumours. 

@eciu - Just to make you aware, whilst everybody is entitled to an opinion, we do not want negative comments on this forum. If you want to be constructive about your opinion, that's fine but just generally being negative is a no. This is not because we are big fan boys and we don't want to upset GW but because we enjoy playing Age of Sigmar. Last thing we want is to visit the forum and find out somebody has been moaning about something we like. It's not nice.

So Constructive is good but general moaning is bad. Ok? ;) 

+++ Mod Hat Off +++

@Ghark thank you ;) 

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

I come to this forum because I like age of sigmar, I am not a massive fan of the lore and doubt I will be. However, there are some things I really love like the idoneth deepkin and the idea of a vast setting where nearly anything goes. 

After 4 years I'm a bit sick of reading people complaining about how the old world was amazing and sigmar is ******. Especially when followed by comments about stormcast being space marines, kharadron overlords being a joke or some stupid comment about flying sharks. 

If you're not that bothered by the lore or feel it needs to be fleshed out that's fine. But if you need to come on an age of sigmar forum just to post about how you detest the lore and only like WHFB armies then that's going to rub me the wrong way. A lot of us are tired of having to justify our enjoyment of this game. 

Flying sharks are pretty cool though 😉😉😉

• Like 1

On the topic of creating the setting, when i decided for my Phoenix Temple army, i went Aqshy, mainly because my paint scheme was warm collors.

Once i was on the middle of the way, i realized i had made grass bases.... ops...

So i created a lore about this plateau on Aqshy where the Ashes of the Phoenix Volcano kept the land fertile and because of the High Ground the realm survived as a bastion against Chaos forces during the Age of Chaos.

It was a lof of fun to try and squish my army into the lore!

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Ghark said:

Since leaked pictures are not allowed here, some infos regarding february WD content for AoS :

- A short story

They're really pushing the Realm of Metal right now.... wonder what else will happen there as we already have the Everdank expanding there and now teh Carrion Empire. Interesting...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

As for a rumor topic, 

have there been any news about the starter set with skaven models etc., which was announced 2-3weeks ago?

No. All rumours at moment will be going towards Horus Heresy as they have the Heresy Weekender coming up soon. Personally I'm expecting this set towards the end of February as we will most likely see 40K Genestealers over next few weeks, Heresy stuff and then I think Skaven vs FEC. After that it's the 40K Vigilus Campaign part 2 which will most likely focus upon Chaos Space Marines

EDIT

NYOpendayReveals-Jan5-CarrionEmpireTerrain17vfrg.jpg

I suspect this picture is showing the contents of the box. 

Edited by Gaz Taylor
picture ;)
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Ghark said:

- A short story

Very cool. I've been on holiday so not had the chance to sit and read the current issue yet (as a skirmish only player I'm looking forward to seeing the new skirmish campaign stuff) but it does sound like they really are returning the mag to being a hobby magazine. I might even sub, something I've not done as there are often huge chunks of time that have passed where WD had nothing of interest in it for me. If it truly is going to be a pure hobby mag, that info never becomes outdated so will always be a great reference. Plus I like having something non digital to read.

Let's hope they don't burn out on hobby articles to quickly and it doens't go back to being just reprints of community articles, just two months too late!

I'm hoping they reintroduce way more 'real' armies- from both staff and players. The studio armies are of course top quality but after so many years seeing the same style on every mini they release it's become stale. I do miss the days where they printed armies which, if shown on the facebook groups, would cause people to spin out and a torrent of 'thin your paint' and '0/10 duncan' memes would be posted. Those old tales of four warlords with fat bloke were always the best part of the magazine. It was nice to see them return to that over christmas with the online article but they've yet to show off the next instalment (or I missed it!) The last printed four warlords had some nice armies but the articles themselves felt clinical and sterile and not at all like a passion project from hobbyists. They even showed some models online that didn't seem to make it in to the magazine, which was a shame.

• Like 1

Moving away from the insecurities of Oldhammer devotees and back to rumour speculation, what are people hoping for from the confirmed and semi-confirmed 2019 releases? We know that *something* is coming for the following factions: Skaven, Darkoath, Flesheaters and Slaanesh. Other than the obvious desire for a full/updated battletome and endless spells, I'd really like to see the following

Skaven

• I really want to see Clans Eshin (my favourites since Mordheim) get some love in the form of updated assassins and night/gutter runnners.
  • Pestillens keeping the Nurgle keyword.
  • Keeping weapons teams in the game. They've been part of Skaven armies for as long as I can remember and are very characterful, 
  • Keep the flavour. My favourite parts about playing Skaven was the gambling of their technology, and the way they rewarded being cowardly with your commanders whilst careless of the lives of your subordinates. I'd love to see that reflected in the new rules.

Darkoath

• As with the Norse in 6th ed WFB, I'd like to see a more rounded depiction of mortal chaos followers. The Chaos Gods can be a fact of life for an ordinary human society living underneath them kinda like the Norse pantheon - not benevolent but powerful and generous to those who show them the proper respect.
  • New marauder sculpts, preferably with options like javelins and archers.
  • Include Slaves to Darkness and Everchosen in the battletome and make Chaos Undivided a genuine choice again. 
  • If the above happens, new warriors and chosen (foot Varanguard) please.
  • War mammoths!

Slaanesh

• Mostly hoping for diverse mortal followers, ideally combining the aesthetics of Sigvald, the 6th edition metal heroes and the hellstriders.
  • Make the new mortals differentiate from the daemons a bit more. I love hellstriders but they're a little too similar to seekers for my liking.
  • Move the Slaanesh storyline forward without their eventual escape - that deserves to be a much bigger event than a single battletome.
  • Flesh out the three separate factions and their leaders.
  • Plastic keeper of secrets to match the other three greater daemons.

Flesheater Courts

• Bring the battletome into line with current ones and maybe add some special characters. The range as it stands is pretty cool.
  • Some variety in the courtiers including plastic clam pack versions  so you don't have to field incomplete units would be great as well.
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

They're really pushing the Realm of Metal right now.... wonder what else will happen there as we already have the Everdank expanding there and now teh Carrion Empire. Interesting...

I guess something *is* happening there. I think it’s more that they are focussing on the Metal Realm with multiple releases to give it a sense of place and character and flesh it out tangentially via those things. 

27 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

@eciu - Just to make you aware, whilst everybody is entitled to an opinion, we do not want negative comments on this forum. If you want to be constructive about your opinion, that's fine but just generally being negative is a no. This is not because we are big fan boys and we don't want to upset GW but because we enjoy playing Age of Sigmar. Last thing we want is to visit the forum and find out somebody has been moaning about something we like. It's not nice.

Ok.

KO battletome have had received numerous erratas/changes/tweaks. For some it does no longer create a internally integral faction/vision. 

SE are thematicly a copy (with a degree of changes) of SM. For some it's advantage, for some it's a drawback. 

And still some people just find an idea of flying shark funny. What wrong with funny ideas ? 

@Gaz Taylor: Is it good enough ? 

Man this newspeak is quite fun mental exercise. 

Edited by eciu
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Nos said:

I guess something *is* happening there. I think it’s more that they are focussing on the Metal Realm with multiple releases to give it a sense of place and character and flesh it out tangentially via those things. 

Yeah Chamon has been left out quite a bit in the lore. We've had Khorne fighting in the Realm of Fire, Nurgle in the Realm of Life, Slaanesh in the Realm of Shadows, Archon in the Realm of Beasts, Tzeentch in the Realm of Light and everyone fighting in the Realm of Death. 

I believe the only time we heard much about Chamon was when the Kharadron Overlords were first realised as a large portion of their Sky Ports are based there but other than that we dont now much. Metal and Beasts have always been my favourite winds of magic so im quite interested in the focus Metal has been getting recently 😍

1 minute ago, eciu said:

@Gaz Taylor: Is it good enough ? 

That will do @eciu, that will do ;) 

7 minutes ago, AGPO said:

Flesheater Courts

• Bring the battletome into line with current ones and maybe add some special characters. The range as it stands is pretty cool.
  • Some variety in the courtiers including plastic clam pack versions  so you don't have to field incomplete units would be great as well.

This is what I would expect. Range doesn't need much apart from Characters and the book just needs tweaking. I'm fully expecting to see this out over the next few months.

14 minutes ago, Mortarch said:

Which hopefully is followed for Sigmar with a Slaves to Darkness/Everchosen/Conan sort of release...

We know they are on the cards due to the 'hint's we have seen recently. If I'm honest, I'm not too sure what to expect. We might see a reimagining of the 'classic' Slaves to Darkness or just a opposite version of Stormcast (lots of Darkoath warriors backed up by a few super elite Chaos Warriors). But it's tough as GW seem to be very good at looking at their concepts and dialing it up to 11.

16 minutes ago, AGPO said:

War mammoths!

Oh sigmar! Imagine if they did huge kits in plastic!

(though it would get to the point that I still hold with 40k- apocalypse scale battles are silly, epic 40k works so much better for larger scale 40k. I'd hate to see AoS become the same kind of parking lot looking game! but the converting opportunities of a kit like that would be too good too pass up!)

Just now, Gaz Taylor said:

We know they are on the cards due to the 'hint's we have seen recently. If I'm honest, I'm not too sure what to expect. We might see a reimagining of the 'classic' Slaves to Darkness or just a opposite version of Stormcast (lots of Darkoath warriors backed up by a few super elite Chaos Warriors). But it's tough as GW seem to be very good at looking at their concepts and dialing it up to 11.

I can certainly see this, especially the idea of a super elite to match the Stormcast. If we accept the fluff that the Varanguard are roughly equivalent to an old school Chaos Lord, then look at the number of Chaos Lords that were kicking around in just  one region the Old World and multiply that up by the size of the mortal realms, there's definitely capacity for Archaon to have formed an army that elite who could go toe to toe with Sigmar's chosen. It also opens up multiple choices for Chaos players - a horde of barbarians, a more traditional chaos army with an elite core of warriors and heroes backed up by some chaff or a very low model count warband of champions where your basic soldier is a match for the heroes of lesser races.

• Like 1

I didn't think that the armies previewed with Malign Portents (Nighthaunt, Darkoath, Gloomspite) would take 2 years to release... I wonder if that was their plan all along, or if their internal release schedule was shaken?

It's very interesting that February White Dwarf doesn't mention genestealers at all on the cover. I assumed they would be the big hotness during February, but if they're not even mentioned on the cover then they are a late February release at the earliest, probably spilling over into March.

30 minutes ago, AGPO said:

I can certainly see this, especially the idea of a super elite to match the Stormcast. If we accept the fluff that the Varanguard are roughly equivalent to an old school Chaos Lord, then look at the number of Chaos Lords that were kicking around in just  one region the Old World and multiply that up by the size of the mortal realms, there's definitely capacity for Archaon to have formed an army that elite who could go toe to toe with Sigmar's chosen. It also opens up multiple choices for Chaos players - a horde of barbarians, a more traditional chaos army with an elite core of warriors and heroes backed up by some chaff or a very low model count warband of champions where your basic soldier is a match for the heroes of lesser races.

While I dont know about Chaos Lords, the AoS rules for the Godsworn Nightvault warband have re-roll 1's against 'Stormcast', which I think is the first time ive seen them named as a targeted faction?   Possible indication of what we may see from other units in that faction.

5 minutes ago, PJetski said:

It's very interesting that February White Dwarf doesn't mention genestealers at all on the cover. I assumed they would be the big hotness during February, but if they're not even mentioned on the cover then they are a late February release at the earliest, probably spilling over into March.

January's didn't mention Gloomspite Gitz. This is how WD will be now I think. New content, not just repeated stuff from the Warhammer Community blog.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, PJetski said:

I didn't think that the armies previewed with Malign Portents (Nighthaunt, Darkoath, Gloomspite) would take 2 years to release... I wonder if that was their plan all along, or if their internal release schedule was shaken?

Didn't the MP book come out less than a year ago? Feb 2018 if I'm right?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WarbossKurgan said:

January's didn't mention Gloomspite Gitz. This is how WD will be now I think. New content, not just repeated stuff from the Warhammer Community blog.

This ^^.

This seems to be WD mission statement going forward. Though nothing official has been worded that way, even their facebook has mentioned that its going to be more of a hobby tome than a news/sales catalogue. The 'news' section is gone. There is little point them releasing a print magazine with news which is always three months out of date.

They could just bump up WD content to include news for coming month or even just change the release date of WD so it coincides better with their release schedule but at this point I do think they are better off having a monthly hobby book. Buying white dwarf for news is redundant with all their 'free' social media outlets now. White dwarf costs as much or more than posting to facebook, but has the risk that if they don't sell it (and in vast quantities) it looks bad to their shareholders and the figures.

• Like 2

Someone said something about the last AoS 'Tale of...' article being stale, or sterile, I forget the exact word, but that's absolutely right. Beyond the (extremely vague) unit requirement they were given once a month there were no limits on what they could do, so there was nothing different about the articles to any other sort of, "Here's my army!" ones. Back in the day, the participants were given a spending amount, and had much more space to talk about their decisions, rationales and hobby. Now it feels crammed in and scripted, like someone else wrote the copy and then just added the words, "says Jes" to them. 

Edited by Kirjava13
A word
  • Like 1

I think at the LVO on the 8th Feb (?) we will probably see model previews for black legion and get an announcement of battletomes for FEC and Skaven soup. 

If you look at ageofsigmar.com, the new store layout and the way armies were previewed on whc prior to aos 2nd I think it gives a good picture as to what soup tomes we may get.

I fully expect StD and Slaanesh to be the only big model releases for aos for the rest of the year. But I do think we can expect more army boxes like carrion empire which also include a few new kits here and there. 

An order army vs a destruction army next on the menu later this year? Ironjawz v sylvaneth? 

• Like 4