The Rumour Thread

21 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

Quite excited to see an AoS faction get the Index Astartes treatment, even if they are St*rmcast :)

Can you explain what does it mean?

Btw, what's the Tome Celestial? A new stormhost? New battalion maybe?

Edited by Beliman

5 hours ago, TheGreatEnchanter said:

Ha, this is 100% me. I detest the new factions and lore but quite like the system. I’ve started collecting high elves, dispossessed, greenskins/gitmob and wanderers only to sell them all off and abandon them because I don’t know how many years I’ll need to wait for decent rules and model range and merging back these ridiculous mini factions. 

Don't play a game where you "detest" 90% of it. The new factions are the ones here to stay, even if old models get soup tomes they won't be supported forever.

• Like 7
  • LOVE IT! 1

19 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Can you explain what dies It mean?

Btw, what' the Tome Celestial? A new stormhost? New battalion maybe?

Basically the new-look White Dwarf is going to be including some new, official rules you can use in your games. Last month, for example, they has some rules you could use to play your Space Marines as Crimson Fists, as opposed to any of the supported chapters in the Space Marine codex for 40k.

I assume the Tome Celestial is the same thing but for AoS, and next month will be looking at some rules you can use to play as a Stormhost that's not featured in the main SCE battletome, though exactly what that will entail no one knows for sure yet!  Presumably new artefacts/traits/whatever else it is that Stormhosts get.

• LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Nos said:

AOS is releasing both books and factions  at a rate Warhammer never came close to. There’s Warscrolls for pretty much everything from Warhammer still.

But it should be pretty clear now that AOS and Warhammer are different things and in the future all factions will be unique and fresh, that’s what it’s building towards. 

But as I say-you still can play with pretty much any models you have in the meantime. The expectation that all armies should be as viable on the tabletop as each other is entirely unrealistic though, nor is it a precedent that is being ignored. Warhammer never had that over its last 4 iterations at least. 

I somewhat agree, a good few of the armies that have been released now are basically in the exact same spot they were in during Fantasy. Although many of these new armies few different ecausd their lore and backstories have changed massively. BoC are basically exactly the same as Beastmen, LoN are basically Vampire Counts with less emphasis on Vampires, and Gloomspite is just an all goblin army from Orcs and Goblins. I expect I’m missing a couple factions as well that haven’t changed that much. 

Of the armies that have changed I feel it’s not that they have changed more so that they have been split up and further expanded upon. 

7 hours ago, Lucentia said:

I assume the Tome Celestial is the same thing but for AoS, and next month will be looking at some rules you can use to play as a Stormhost that's not featured in the main SCE battletome, though exactly what that will entail no one knows for sure yet!  Presumably new artefacts/traits/whatever else it is that Stormhosts get.

So, it's possible to see a new skyport released on White Dwarf? I would love to see new variations of army building and abilities like old Slaanesh Cults.

Btw, thanks for the answer. 

Edited by Beliman

1 hour ago, HollowHills said:

Don't play a game where you "detest" 90% of it. The new factions are the ones here to stay, even if old models get soup tomes they won't be supported forever.

This 110%.

I love Dispossessed, and I'm certain they will get some love and adapted into the game given the age of their range. Though that's not a given fact, they could fade away in favor of the more abstract dwarven themes GW is playing with. I'm making a small army cause I love them, but if none of the newer factions caught my eye I wouldn't have bothered. Once my small dwarven army is ready, I'll be branching into new factions for the safety.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Well it definitely sounds interesting but, weren’t the faction in the old world, also very unic in their own way.

sure some factions still had a similar concept (like knights) but still they were different.

dwarfs where known to be very sturdy slow and good fighters with a high strength.

the empire was a armie that combined everything together, but lacked the skill and strength the dwarf and Elves  had.

Bretonnians, which where a highly elite cavalry armie, combining brute strength, and nobility, which not many factions could.

etc.

Interestingly enough these isnt currently a real cavalry army in the setting. Might be a nice space for a new race to fill at some point. 

Without a human faction the realms of sigmar are largely a strange vaccum. The literature serves the setting a heck of a lot better than the models at the moment. Callis and toll. The red hours. Even the core book containing interesting and exciting fluff centred around human armies. The game itself has a few plastic kits from ten years ago. A new human faction is definitely the most wanted and most requested missing factions bar maybe skaven. Lots of people I have played with comment on the fact there is no human army. Its a big community bugbear. 

1 hour ago, Lucentia said:

I assume the Tome Celestial is the same thing but for AoS, and next month will be looking at some rules you can use to play as a Stormhost that's not featured in the main SCE battletome, though exactly what that will entail no one knows for sure yet!  Presumably new artefacts/traits/whatever else it is that Stormhosts get

Haha love this. You could well be right but you assume something based on the title only to follow it up with nobody knows the details 😂 Hope you’re proven right, but I doubt that’s whats going to be. 

1 minute ago, Kramer said:

Haha love this. You could well be right but you assume something based on the title only to follow it up with nobody knows the details 😂 Hope you’re proven right, but I doubt that’s whats going to be. 

He is right. GW has said so themselves on an Open Day, they plan to alternate between 40K (Space Marines but also other factions and Xenos) and AoS (beginning with Stormcasts). War-of-Sigmar already has the cover of the februar WD.

2 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

He is right. GW has said so themselves on an Open Day, they plan to alternate between 40K (Space Marines but also other factions and Xenos) and AoS (beginning with Stormcasts). War-of-Sigmar already has the cover of the februar WD.

Say do you know if this artefacts will only be available for battletome armys, or could, let’s say a nonbattletome faction maybe get some extra artefacts as well?

23 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Say do you know if this artefacts will only be available for battletome armys, or could, let’s say a nonbattletome faction maybe get some extra artefacts as well?

No idea but non-battletome armies would be pretty low priority. As far as we know the WD only introduces new sub-factions. Non-battletome armies dont have any subfactions, so there is no established framework to add a new faction into. They would have to create a whole system which would be outdated the moment a real battle tome comes out. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

No idea but non-battletome armies would be pretty low priority. As far as we know the WD only introduces new sub-factions. Non-battletome armies dont have any subfactions, so there is no established framework to add a new faction into. They would have to create a whole system which would be outdated the moment a real battle tome comes out. 

Agreed. Non-battletome armies just don't have the lore and fluff to produce meaningful subfactions. E

18 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

Ah well, then there is no reason for me to buy it anyways.

(mmh maybe it has some pics of beautiful painted skaven models)

Edited by Skreech Verminking

11 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/01/20/coming-soon-made-to-order-orcs-and-goblins/

Greenskinz are basically confirmed as squatted alongside gitmob. Expect to see points support until GHB19 before the profiles are removed entirely. 

Mmmh not sure, what would happen to the Allies chart of the Gloomspite Gitz, then🤔. I’m guessing that the greenskinz and gitmob grots will still be playable factions, since the dark elve legend warscroll didn’t  take away any faction either.

Edited by Skreech Verminking

8 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Mmmh not sure, what would happen to the Allies chart of the Gloomspite Gitz, then🤔. I’m guessing that the greenskinz and gitmob grots will still be playable factions, since the dark elve legend warscroll didn’t  take away any faction either.

They are allies now because they have points costs, they will lose their points cost at the same time as they lose allies status in GH19. 100% it will happen. GW aren't going to keep supporting models they no longer sell, they aren't even trying to link to selling the Greenskinz sc in the post. 

27 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/01/20/coming-soon-made-to-order-orcs-and-goblins/

Greenskinz are basically confirmed as squatted alongside gitmob. Expect to see points support until GHB19 before the profiles are removed entirely. 

I dont see the conformation. They mention Greenskinz in the same way as Iron Jawz: "Worry not, Orruk fans – we’ve got some great models returning for you, too! The Black Orc Big Boss, Orc Great Shaman and Warboss on Wyvern will be returning – each a cracking addition to the collection of any Greenskinz or Ironjawz player." 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lucentia said:

Basically the new-look White Dwarf is going to be including some new, official rules you can use in your games. Last month, for example, they has some rules you could use to play your Space Marines as Crimson Fists, as opposed to any of the supported chapters in the Space Marine codex for 40k.

Weirdly, it looks like for the Feb issue it's going to be the Hammerhands, as teased on the back of Jan's issue. Weird pick, seeing as they're not a Stormhost, just a particular army within the Hammers Of Sigmar, without much to mark them apart beyond their leader who already has rules. Maybe they'll get some special bonuses reflecting them being the very first Stormcast to be deployed - like a super-veteran variation of Hammers? 

51 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

hmm I surprise there no Grimgor, I would have though they would have release him for Made to Order by now

23 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

I dont see the conformation. They mention Greenskinz in the same way as Iron Jawz: "Worry not, Orruk fans – we’ve got some great models returning for you, too! The Black Orc Big Boss, Orc Great Shaman and Warboss on Wyvern will be returning – each a cracking addition to the collection of any Greenskinz or Ironjawz player." 

I will say  that they sneakily did not put a hyperlink to their webstore page under the word Greenskinz but did it for Ironjawz

32 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

They are allies now because they have points costs, they will lose their points cost at the same time as they lose allies status in GH19. 100% it will happen. GW aren't going to keep supporting models they no longer sell, they aren't even trying to link to selling the Greenskinz sc in the post. 

You have a point, although 100% sure they’ll be gone. I hope you won’t be disappointed if it won’t happen

3 hours ago, Ragnar Alpaca said:

I somewhat agree, a good few of the armies that have been released now are basically in the exact same spot they were in during Fantasy. Although many of these new armies few different ecausd their lore and backstories have changed massively. BoC are basically exactly the same as Beastmen, LoN are basically Vampire Counts with less emphasis on Vampires, and Gloomspite is just an all goblin army from Orcs and Goblins. I expect I’m missing a couple factions as well that haven’t changed that much. 

Of the armies that have changed I feel it’s not that they have changed more so that they have been split up and further expanded upon. 

I meant fresh in respect to being Sigmarised I suppose. The funny thing about people complaining about the new factions is that I personally feel the new factions are basically the same as they were before, just more so.

Ironjawz are more Black Orcy orcs. Gloomspite Gitz are way more Night Goblin than Night Goblins ever were in Warhammer. Daughters are are a Khainite Dark Elf army on steroids. Sylvaneth are a whole army of Wood Elf Tree Kin.

Fundamentally in my experience it means *more* Warhammer stuff actually gets on the table than it ever did, because rather than being lost in a massive roster 3/4 of which never saw play, you have smaller factions representing that whole roster across multiple armies in which a larger number of them are viable.

Edited by Nos
  • Like 3

I agree with everyone else that some sort of generic humans dwarves and elves are a super necessary release. They may not be the most popular or the most sexy but they definitely provide a context that is currently lacking. Rampaging hordes need things  to attack, chaos needs something to corrupt, necromancer's  need bodies  to ressurrect and God warriorz need something to defend after all. Without, it just feels kinda empty. While more other cool armies may be individually more exciting and will sell better, I think the IP as a whole needs a generic faction or 2.

They could even roll a ton of them into one as 'generic spearmen' and swordemen and archers usable by any faction. Maybe with extra allegience abilities if you so want. And then you could use whatever models you wanted. 

But currently the IP needs a foundation

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Frowny said:

I agree with everyone else that some sort of generic humans dwarves and elves are a super necessary release. They may not be the most popular or the most sexy but they definitely provide a context that is currently lacking. Rampaging hordes need things  to attack, chaos needs something to corrupt, necromancer's  need bodies  to ressurrect and God warriorz need something to defend after all. Without, it just feels kinda empty. While more other cool armies may be individually more exciting and will sell better, I think the IP as a whole needs a generic faction or 2.

They could even roll a ton of them into one as 'generic spearmen' and swordemen and archers usable by any faction. Maybe with extra allegience abilities if you so want. And then you could use whatever models you wanted. 

But currently the IP needs a foundation

It has a foundation. An age of Myth and Legend, Gods fighting for supremacy  using armies fashioned in their own image.

Warhammer had a foundation of humanity and apocalypse. It was always the End Times. They boxed themselves in with that. They’re not going to do it again. Not only that but they would be fools to try. Warhammer has 30 years of pedigree. There’s no way they could equal what it did in respect to what it’s flavour and character was. 

Humans are basically just in AOS to provide audience perspective. But basically they’re just observers. They get killed or they go mad or they fight alongside other factions or whatever but unlike in Warhammer they are far from being key players. The driving force in AOS are the deities themselves and they have specific avatars in the form of their armies that drive events. Humans are a species who co-exist in the world but that’s all they are. 

Question-how do you make a human  AOS faction fit? Black Powder was a big reason for human ascendency in Warhammer but in AOS it’s not anything special. Basically in a world run by Gods and monsters humans are just going to get annihilated by everything. Unless of course you make them Super Human, but A) they already have those and B) the whole argument as to why you need a human faction in the first place dies as soon as they’re not human anymore. Or conversely the Stormcast are obsolete if regular joes can defend their own lands and wage their own wars competently.

I’d love to see what aesthetic they came up with but the army of a relatable faction in a world of hyper fantasy and legend is fundamentally contradictory.

Edited by Nos
  • Like 2