The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, Blueraven84 said:

Skaven don't have enough plastic models to make an army with just book release (IMHO)

14 plastic kits with almost 20 variants.  They have plenty of plastic kits. Problem would be more variety within those kits for the more esoteric warscrolls  to make the tome varied. 

Skaven are honestly in a pretty good place overall. There's a few kits showing their age, but by and large most of their non-plastic are heroes rather than rank and file troops. So they could easily adapt to a new battletome. Honestly they'd work better in a single tome as there's so many core units that the clans likely share. Things like clans, giants, ogres etc..... are likely shared across most of the clans so why have them split into 4 armies or so when all could be united. Especially since in the lore you often see them working multi-clan anyway - even if they are aiming to backstab each other at a moments notice. 

Plus some clans, like the assassin clan - just don't work well if you try and turn what is essentially an assassins department of a whole faction into a whole army unto itself. Much easier to have it simply as one part of many in a single book. 

Edited by Overread
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Overread said:

Skaven are honestly in a pretty good place overall. There's a few kits showing their age, but by and large most of their non-plastic are heroes rather than rank and file troops. So they could easily adapt to a new battletome. Honestly they'd work better in a single tome as there's so many core units that the clans likely share. Things like clans, giants, ogres etc..... are likely shared across most of the clans so why have them split into 4 armies or so when all could be united. Especially since in the lore you often see them working multi-clan anyway - even if they are aiming to backstab each other at a moments notice. 

Plus some clans, like the assassin clan - just don't work well if you try and turn what is essentially an assassins department of a whole faction into a whole army unto itself. Much easier to have it simply as one part of many in a single book. 

But if you leave assassins etc. as they are, they are a perfect allies faction.  Plugging everything skaven into a unified tome just means you end up with 'optimal' choices that combo well, and effectively you end up with half the models underused (after everyone clamored for them to be made into plastic). Or elite units that shouldnt be armies get spammed because they work with a certain allegiance ability or something and you get stupid looking 'armies'.  There is a reason factions got split up, because they can become factions, rather than a footnote as part of a larger tome.

@stato I don't think armies got broken up with through any great scheme of greater game balance - I think the motivations there were very different.

The thing is they can do it like they've done for Goblins - several "Clans" in a single book. That way you've got bonus and benefits for using a niche of the army, but at the same time you can build a combined army without having to touch the allies rules and its limitations. Furthermore it allows easier sharing of core unit warscrolls in a simple fashion. 

Take Clan Rats. They are likely to be used by pretty much all the clans, and yet if you have them in 4 or so different books then any FAQ or Errata that affects one has to affect the others in turn. The result is increased update annoyance and sharing of a warscroll and identical stats in 4 different armies for no strong reason. Instead if its all in one book its a lot easier to keep track of things. Each Clan can come with its own benefits and advantages and is little different to if they are in separate books; save that with them all in one there's no allies limits or issues. 

Furthermore it makes them appear far more complete a faction and it means if GW releases a new Clan Moulder model then it updates "all" the skaven armies even if they don't produce something for another Clan for a few years. Whislt if they keep them separate there's a barrier there which means a Clan Moulder player might not collect anything but them so new units for other clans are not updates to that player and their army. 

The issue of weaker clans is the same no matter if they are in one book or four. Honestly the only ones who know the future are GW; they might have solid update and release plans and can keep up with 4 or more armies.

Also as yet they've not actually made a single formal "Allied" armed force. Ergo an army that has no Battletome, but has an official document and is designated and designed to be an ally only. We have them, but that's more accidental and a result of factions that were established the day AoS launched and have not been revised since that date. 

• Like 3

@Hobbycave Kaleb Daark also used a pterosaur/birdy dinosaur skull weapon. 

37C14205-01EA-46BE-B617-775BC8E95C74.jpeg.4a057ba9343b4df58d2b2196b8ee9e4e.jpegA6D31DD4-0E56-4288-827C-680A067BEB0C.jpeg.a2804725057b0da1d348f50f5149b978.jpeg

We assumed Darkoath would be a thing considering the wole Malign Portents  charcter release, and a warband released prior to the army release, like the stormcast, night haunt and gloomspite. I do Have to say I’m surprised GW haven’t tried to tie the release into a box game of Gloomspite vs Darkoath. It would be such a strange contrast to have. These almost nordic fairytale goblins and Trolls up against High Fantasy 80’s barbarians, I don’t think my mind would comprehend what My eyes would be seeing in such a box.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kronos said:

I do Have to say I’m surprised GW haven’t tried to tie the release into a box game of Gloomspite vs Darkoath. 

Soul wars is the current "easy-to-build starter set", it won't be eclipsed soon.     All other box sets GW releases are discount boxes of existing sprues.  GW does not fill discount boxes with brand new product, it's counterproductive to their obligation of maximizing profits.  This is why you don't see battleforces or start collecting boxes until ~1yr after models have been released. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SlaaneshCultist said:

Theory: The Ruination Chamber will be made up of all the Stormcasts who have been reborn so many times they have lost all humanity but gained strange abilities and are now essentially little more than daemons of lightning and order. Dangerous and unstable but powerful.

Is this something viable??

8 hours ago, Chikout said:

Thought it might be worth doing a little post about the current state of play regarding rumours. 

Last year was a pretty unusual year from Gw with no less than 7 big boxed games released of which two were related to AOS. 40k had a bazillion codexes, one campaign book and 3 campaign box sets but only 3 major waves of miniatures ( I’m counting nurgle as AOS). 40k also got an absolute boat load of scenery.   Apart from Soul Wars AOS had 7 battletomes, 1 campaign book, 1 boxed supplement, 1 campaign box and 5 major waves of miniatures. 

I think we will see fewer boxed games this year.

I have a feeling we could get as many as 10 battletomes this year as we will definitely get fewer 40k codexes  but I will be very surprised if we get more than 6 waves of miniatures. 

Here is what we can expect for 2019 in order of likehood

Gloomspite book and minis 100%

Slaanesh book and minis 100% (confirmed by gw)

skaven: book 90% more than one mini 60%

Flesh eaters courts: book 90% more than one mini 60%

slaves to Darkness: book 80% minis 80%

fyreslayers: book 70% minis 60%

ironjawz: book 70% minis 60%

That makes the same number of battletomes as last year. 

Personally I think we will see one completely new faction this year as we have had one every year since launch ( 2015 Stormcast, 2016 Fyreslayers, 2017 KO, 2018 Deepkin) but that is just speculation. 

We will probably see at least one more carrion empire style box and underworlds season 3  

Anything beyond that is pure guesswork. 

Missed Seraphon there 😉

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PJetski said:

I would be very surprised if FEC got any new models besides the hero in Carrion Empire. It seems to be more similar to the new Necron Cryptek released in Forgebane right before the Necron 8th edition codex.

I could definitely see them getting new Endless Spells, though.

Though I hope you are wrong I still believe you I right, sadly 🥺

3 hours ago, SlaaneshCultist said:

Theory: The Ruination Chamber will be made up of all the Stormcasts who have been reborn so many times they have lost all humanity but gained strange abilities and are now essentially little more than daemons of lightning and order. Dangerous and unstable but powerful.

This is a great frickin idea. 

Only the faithful! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chikout said:

Thought it might be worth doing a little post about the current state of play regarding rumours. 

Last year was a pretty unusual year from Gw with no less than 7 big boxed games released of which two were related to AOS. 40k had a bazillion codexes, one campaign book and 3 campaign box sets but only 3 major waves of miniatures ( I’m counting nurgle as AOS). 40k also got an absolute boat load of scenery.   Apart from Soul Wars AOS had 7 battletomes, 1 campaign book, 1 boxed supplement, 1 campaign box and 5 major waves of miniatures. 

I think we will see fewer boxed games this year.

I have a feeling we could get as many as 10 battletomes this year as we will definitely get fewer 40k codexes  but I will be very surprised if we get more than 6 waves of miniatures. 

Here is what we can expect for 2019 in order of likehood

Gloomspite book and minis 100%

Slaanesh book and minis 100% (confirmed by gw)

skaven: book 90% more than one mini 60%

Flesh eaters courts: book 90% more than one mini 60%

slaves to Darkness: book 80% minis 80%

fyreslayers: book 70% minis 60%

ironjawz: book 70% minis 60%

That makes the same number of battletomes as last year. 

Personally I think we will see one completely new faction this year as we have had one every year since launch ( 2015 Stormcast, 2016 Fyreslayers, 2017 KO, 2018 Deepkin) but that is just speculation. 

We will probably see at least one more carrion empire style box and underworlds season 3  

Anything beyond that is pure guesswork. 

Slaanesh book and minis not confirmed at all. There’s mention of stirrings for seekers of Slaanesh in the community preview for the year but that doesn’t equate to a release with book and minis. My guess is there will be a new hero released ala Slimux in Blightwar and maybe one new unit of seekers or something.  I doubt the release of Slaanesh will be considered a less big event than the Goblins showing up but it got lower billing than them in the preview.  I’m pretty sure Slaanesh releases this year will just be a prologue for a big reveal next year.

Edited by Nos

34 minutes ago, Nos said:

Slaanesh book and minis not confirmed at all. There’s mention of stirrings for seekers of Slaanesh in the community preview for the year but that doesn’t equate to a release with book and minis. My guess is there will be a new hero released ala Slimux in Blightwar and maybe one new unit of seekers or something.  I doubt the release of Slaanesh will be considered a less big event than the Goblins showing up but it got lower billing than them in the preview.  I’m pretty sure Slaanesh releases this year will just be a prologue for a big reveal next year.

They said on warhammer community that slaanesh is getting more minis. Not sure if they confirmed battle tome this year though.

8 minutes ago, 123lac said:

They said on warhammer community that slaanesh is getting more minis. Not sure if they confirmed battle tome this year though.

Aye I alluded to that post myself, it’s just that it necessarily doesn’t mean a full release. 2 minis is more minis strictly speaking.