The Rumour Thread

33 minutes ago, RexHavoc said:

The big thing I find odd with skirmish is that it is the perfect way to get people that want to get in to AoS in to the game and its the perfect way to get people to spend money on kits and conversion they might otherwise never touch (I'd never paint a deepkin force, or at least no plans too any time soon but would happily paint 10 models for fun) but instead of giving us a new pamphlet style rulebook  that is cheap and easy to buy, instead they opt to put it in white dwarf as an article- something you can't buy after the month (well, there are ways but not easily and not off the shelf). Even a booklet would have been better, as then there would have been a stockpile of leftovers (40k only players, return magazines from newsagents, bulk from the print run) ready to give out at the till or with start collection boxes.

I know they need things in white dwarf to encourage people to buy it (being that white dwarf is now all but pointless as a hobby magazine) but this seems like a poor choice to make skirmish have some of the spotlight again, as it had last year. If it's a precursor to getting a new version down the line then its ok, but this seems like it will be hyped for a month then forgotten again. I'll probably pick this issue up anyway, but don't see this making Skirmish as big as it was when it first came out.

The real curiosity will be if the rules/article is written by Bottle. Only thing I've seen him do with GW since he took hinterlands down, was the live stream game. It would be interesting to see if his name is on this, which might point to a much, much bigger release later in the year

But isn’t this all conjecture? We haven’t heard anything official from GW yet except there will be an article. 

We don’t know if it won’t be followed by a booklet, maybe soon maybe in a few months. Maybe the rules will be a free core rule situation where you can download it after a month. Maybe that’s one of the White Dwarf changes they alluded to. Earlier acces to new stuff or maybe only in the magazine to make a white dwarf subscription more valuable  

And about @bottle‘s involvement... yes that is a good question. Didn’t see a Korean lady in the screenshot so I guess not ;) 

Yeah I kind of expect them to follow last years release schedule if anything, which means getting skirmish box set around the same time as kill team was released.
I thought they might flip between the two games year by year, but with grots *maybe* coming in January looks like they are sticking to last years schedule, which would mean summer time for a big AoS release.

1 minute ago, Kramer said:

But isn’t this all conjecture? We haven’t heard anything official from GW yet except there will be an article. 

We don’t know if it won’t be followed by a booklet, maybe soon maybe in a few months. Maybe the rules will be a free core rule situation where you can download it after a month. Maybe that’s one of the White Dwarf changes they alluded to. Earlier acces to new stuff or maybe only in the magazine to make a white dwarf subscription more valuable  

And about @bottle‘s involvement... yes that is a good question. Didn’t see a Korean lady in the screenshot so I guess not ;) 

Oh yeah, all conjecture. It just seems unusal from GW to release something in WD just before it comes out- this is far more what late 90s WD would do and not what even the new and 'improved' GW would do. But We will see. Could be a sign of better times. I'd be happier getting caught up in the hype with free rules long before a game came out (this would have been good for kill team too in hindsight)

haha I had the same exact thought, no Korean in the photo so nothing to do with him! haha

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JPjr said:

If Moonclan can have carpenter ant style fungus zombie slaves then i am all in on this horribleness...

Mushrooms, goblins and horror.

Oh god, I was hyped yesterday, but I've just completely flipped out.

Too all those I've chuckled at, by having brought into the GW hype sales strategy, I apologise! So that's how they get you! 🤣

I also loved the little spider skull. I've always wondered why they never added a servo skull equivalent in to AoS, I thought a magical skull as a wizards aid would always be a nice bit to include in kits. I wonder if this is the how they will keep the spidergrots around as part of moonclan, which might mean no new huge kit as I predicted. (This isn't a massive issue, the kit is smashing, just I live with an extreme arachnophobe that wouldn't handle them in the house. I've kept the smaller ones I do own out of the way, but that is a big kit to try and build, paint and hide in the same house! So I've always try to avoid it!)

I was looking forward to seeing what models I was getting tomorrow, now I'm just going to be waiting for the trailer!

• Like 1

OK. So this not being the big skirmish release makes sense. I know a revamped skirmish is coming next year and I thought this was way too soon from what I heard. I’m down for a rework. Looking forward to the new White Dwarf. Lots of cool stuff in there. 

Edited by TheHarrower
  • Like 3

On 12/20/2018 at 10:41 AM, stato said:

!!! 😧

You were quoted earlier in this thread that you knew Skirmish was coming and that it was kill team, now youre not sure???

This is why I don’t share info. People can’t read and blow things out of proportion. I specifically said whether or not it’s the full blown skirmish, I wasn’t sure. I figured it was based on what was in the back of the December White Dwarf. I’ll just go back to keeping it to myself. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

1 minute ago, cofaxest said:

No comments

v608JjiYH80.jpg

Look at that giant squig hopper in the background! Maybe that will be our huge plastic kit!

The name is not what I was expecting. Considering they have still be using the  moonclan name. Maybe this will mix moonclan with some other bits n bobs, rather than being pure moonclan.
I'm not sold on the three eyed shaman, seems a bit too chaos-y but I presume that exposure to the realms, magic and mushrooms will take their toll. Still, I have thousands of shaman models already if its not to may taste. (though this will probably change as soon as we see some models, I just don't want a whole army of the silver tower style grots)

I normally wouldn't buy the special edition books as they are stupidly expensive (and I'd rather buy more models) and they don't really match the rest of the collection of battletomes (book ocd) but as my main collection, I think this time I will have too, as this book will sit next to the rules (and malign portents) and to the hell with the cost this once!

I like that they are sticking with the armoured theme. the BB grots were a joy to paint and the shadespire git with a great model (not painted him yet though!) though I dread to think what the studio army will look like- I expect them to paint them in bright yellow and I just don't think it suits the sort of army. But that doesn't really affect much to me. (Though if you stare at the cover too long it looks like he is dressed up as a  banana!)

The squigs look like the have that more squished shape that came with stinkmullet, I'm hoping they stick with a mix of shapes as I prefer the classic ball than the dog looking ones.

2 minutes ago, Goodapollo4 said:

So happy i can see a squig  rider in the back left there.

So we've got like, a farmer and a harvester front and center, moonclan  grots, a bunch of aggressive looking foliage, and a squig rider. Anyone else see anything?

I've been toying with the idea of making some grot villagers for our skirmish games (as non combatants) Some grot farmers would work very well!

Looks like we'll know a lot more tomorrow. That is an interesting name, meaning they probably are rolling some new stuff in, probably trolls(meaning the Underworlds mushroom troll is probably in this faction, but not Moonclan). There's no spiders on the cover, but it wouldn't preclude spiderfang either, they may even bring in all the grots and give them a Beasts of Chaos treatment where they can all be in one army and have an overall keyword(unlike LoN), but they still have their sub groups with their own faction with their own synergies and certain battlelines with certain generals.

That cover would also suggest at least a couple new models as I can't imagine them making the two most prominent characters on the cover being something you cann't get a model for.

23 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

There's no spiders on the cover, but it wouldn't preclude spiderfang either

The teaser has a living spider on the head of the staff.... To me that says spiderfang is in. They are pretty careful/deliberate/purposeful with their teases it seems. 

1 minute ago, sorokyl said:

The teaser has a living spider on the head of the staff.... To me that says spiderfang is in. They are pretty careful/deliberate/purposeful with their teases it seems. 

Yeah, I can't imagine them creating a new faction name and keep it as just Moonclan.

• Like 1