The Rumour Thread

That open day might be a huge huge event esp for AoS in getting sneak peaks/ Hopefully GW might even go a little further than the next handful of releases - a game plan for the year would be great (They had one for 40K when they said they were going to do pretty much every faction they could in one year)

A big Skirmish relaunch would have been cool but I have to say I am not disappointed we are just getting new rules. I really like how Skirmish is a rules lite, fun narrative-like expansion rather than a full blown game. I have been using it as an escalation game that allows play as we journey to full armies. Looks like I can stick to the plan and keep painting what I'm doing too!

• Like 3

Hopefully the skirmish stuff is similar to how mordheim was done- with rules started off in white dwarf until the game was pretty much ready then a big box release.

but if not I can live with the original rulebook. I was really hoping that we would get a new box set, but I wasn't so keen on what kill team actual was, were as I'd happily continue to play the original skirmish game pretty much forever. A few new battleplans in white dwarf will be enough for me, if we are not getting an actual big box.

47 minutes ago, Caladancid said:

Rumor source says Moonclan NDA lifts first week of Jan. 

I didn’t realize there was an Open Day on 5 Jan.  Fits nicely. 

https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/3540

Yeah that's been my thought as well. Expect a hype trailer to fuel discussion at the end of the advent community picture leading up to the Open Day on the fifth, where we get the goods properly discussed/ maybe even a game-plan for what's coming next or even a year plan. Models at the latest released for early February.

17 minutes ago, Arkanaut Admiral said:

Moonclan first week of January? I certainly hope so! :D

Moon clan becomes official first week of January. I bet the actual release(or first release, if there's new models beyond endless spells) doesn't actually hit shelves until the first will of February with preorders starting Jan 26th.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

Moon clan becomes official first week of January. I bet the actual release(or first release, if there's new models beyond endless spells) doesn't actually hit shelves until the first will of February with preorders starting Jan 26th.

That link I have seems to say that there will be a review of the Battletome in the first week of Jan. Waiting until 26 Jan after that seems like a long time.  Not impossible but would be odd.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bradipo322 said:

I see a big relaunch for Skirmish, a lot of pages of rules:

Aimage.png.be7a5d534b69f1d1752e6c47ba720757.png

And new scenarios:
image.png.05732d5367dd9dd2f466390601a7d892.png

What video is this? 

Edit never mind found it. 

Looks to me they are using Skirmish to promote the start collecting boxes, right? 

4F621D58-8C5C-43DE-9BD6-62A478748DD5.png.4b0a5649c431bee8ae0dd45f9a50c9e4.png

Edited by Kramer

22 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

I wonder if Skirmish will be playable for other factions without a SC box.

I’d reckon so. It’s just an extra way to push the Start collecting boxes I’d imagine. It’s a weird link in my eyes anyway. Because in the screenshot I shared, you can clearly see the magmadroth. Doesn’t really fit with skirmish in my mind :) 

• Like 1

I find it kinda interesting that they push the start collect boxes for skirmish simce most of these contain way above the 25 renown and some have even heroes that alone costs 22 renown making it impossible to field them in a starting warband. So it indicates that whatever ruleupgrades skirmish might see wil include focus on either starting campaigns higher than 25 or playing matched games.

11 minutes ago, pseudonyme said:

Isn’t it 50 renown max? 

What do you mean? That warbands can’t exceed 50? 

After checking up on the SC boxes only 3 of those can use all of its models in skirmish and only two of those three, can field a legal starting warband ( 25 renown, min. 3 models). So I guess some interesting rulechanges will happen. Looking forward to this.

Edited by Greasygeek

20 minutes ago, Greasygeek said:

I find it kinda interesting that they push the start collect boxes for skirmish simce most of these contain way above the 25 renown and some have even heroes that alone costs 22 renown making it impossible to field them in a starting warband. So it indicates that whatever ruleupgrades skirmish might see wil include focus on either starting campaigns higher than 25 or playing matched games.

I don't think so, I honestly think they saw a quick link to make. 'Want to start a Skirmish force? Look at the SC boxes, plenty of models for you Skirmish force and a good start for an army down the road!'

• Thanks 1

I think that the start collection boxes is just a go way to push skirmish as they have enough mix of troops in there as well as a hero or two, but they they can use it as the stepping stone to 'full scale' AoS, using the big model as your next planned step in the army.

Even though one of the simple joys of V1 skirmish was that you could get into it as cheaply as just a single box unit, GW do seem to be moving away from having the cheap basic troop boxes on the shop floor.  Things like the old €20 units of 20 models seem to be a thing of the past. Newer forces seem to get more of the €45 sets with 5-10 models max. The start collection sets seem to be the way to buy your cheap starting models and I Wouldn't be surprised if they become the only way to get core infantry in the future. (which isn't a bad thing, as they are great value, you only have problems when people want very specific forces)
The core infantry is of course always available online and most of the sets are still in stores, I've just noticed they are becoming less common and not always on the shelf.

2 minutes ago, Kramer said:

I don't think so, I honestly think they saw a quick link to make. 'Want to start a Skirmish force? Look at the SC boxes, plenty of models for you Skirmish force and a good start for an army down the road!'

Yeah I also think the skirmish focus is just to push SC boxes and breath a bit of life into it again by adding s few battleplans. But I really hope to be wrong as I see lots of unused potential for skirmish. Whether you wanna run a pitched battle narrative game or campaign.

The big thing I find odd with skirmish is that it is the perfect way to get people that want to get in to AoS in to the game and its the perfect way to get people to spend money on kits and conversion they might otherwise never touch (I'd never paint a deepkin force, or at least no plans too any time soon but would happily paint 10 models for fun) but instead of giving us a new pamphlet style rulebook  that is cheap and easy to buy, instead they opt to put it in white dwarf as an article- something you can't buy after the month (well, there are ways but not easily and not off the shelf). Even a booklet would have been better, as then there would have been a stockpile of leftovers (40k only players, return magazines from newsagents, bulk from the print run) ready to give out at the till or with start collection boxes.

I know they need things in white dwarf to encourage people to buy it (being that white dwarf is now all but pointless as a hobby magazine) but this seems like a poor choice to make skirmish have some of the spotlight again, as it had last year. If it's a precursor to getting a new version down the line then its ok, but this seems like it will be hyped for a month then forgotten again. I'll probably pick this issue up anyway, but don't see this making Skirmish as big as it was when it first came out.

The real curiosity will be if the rules/article is written by Bottle. Only thing I've seen him do with GW since he took hinterlands down, was the live stream game. It would be interesting to see if his name is on this, which might point to a much, much bigger release later in the year

• Like 1

I’m still convinced there’s a proper release of a revamped Skirmish 2.0 coming, it’s just seems so obvious (plus I’ve personally had the classic staffer in GW shop who told me he was expecting something on those lines in 2019).

i just see this as something to whet the appetite, get people thinking about it and of course have something interesting for AoS players in the relaunch of the new look, new content filled White Dwarf.

then bang big launch later in the year, maybe same time as GHB 2019 with a starter set, terrain etc, maybe tie in to some big new campaign.

Of course could, and probably am, hilariously wrong, I mean I can see them holding it back even till 2020, but we’ll see.

5 minutes ago, JPjr said:

I’m still convinced there’s a proper release of a revamped Skirmish 2.0 coming, it’s just seems so obvious (plus I’ve personally had the classic staffer in GW shop who told me he was expecting something on those lines in 2019).

i just see this as something to whet the appetite, get people thinking about it and of course have something interesting for AoS players in the relaunch of the new look, new content filled White Dwarf.

then bang big launch later in the year, maybe same time as GHB 2019 with a starter set, terrain etc, maybe tie in to some big new campaign.

Of course could, and probably am, hilariously wrong, I mean I can see them holding it back even till 2020, but we’ll see.

I agree with this, it seems the wrong time for GW to push skirmish hard for new customers and gamers because so many factions are not yet ready; instead get skirmish encouraged with established gamers (hence why its in white dwarf) and then when you revamp to skirmish 2.0 later in the year (or even early 2020) you'll have legions of existing fans already playing and willing to encourage new people; plus a lot more armies with battletomes so that when those new players get into the new skirmish they'll be ready to be led into AoS as well