The Rumour Thread

5 minutes ago, Uncas said:

I’m all for ditching the old world characters...but only after they bring back Malus Darkblade!

While I liked Malus Darkblade, it seems his soul has been annihilated by Tz'arkan, the demon within him, during the End Times

"With a last mournful snarl, the flame of Darkblade's soul gasped, guttered and then went out, forever smothered." — The End of Times: Khaine

So no soul = no coming back?

Should be the end for him. So far there's been very specific avenues to getting reborn in the Mortal Realms and an intact soul has been crucial. Even if it was intact in Slaanesh for an aelf requirement.

Undead like vampires are an exception as when they truly die the soul is destroyed too but Nagash can personally recreate them to continue loyal service to him.

So unless Malus made a last minute pact with Nagash his chances aren't good.

But who knows? Maybe he was the soul that eavesdropped on Morathi and Malerion in Malign Portents and was sent back into the pit?

4 hours ago, Enoby said:

Also, am I misremembering, or did the High King of the Idoneth get his eye cut out my the Masque of Slaanesh (disguised as Morathi)?

No you're remembering correctly, Volturnos lost his eye fighting the Masque who was masquerading as Morathi who Volturnos thought he was meeting to end hostilities between the deepkin and the daughters of khaine.

27 minutes ago, The Golem said:

While I liked Malus Darkblade, it seems his soul has been annihilated by Tz'arkan, the demon within him, during the End Times

So no soul = no coming back?

Yeah I think it's safe to say no soul means he isn't coming back, unless some weird chaos shenanigans happens or something. But honestly I think that was a fitting end for him.

Edited by Dirtnaps
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Could be funny if Malus came back but fused with Tz'arkan, basically becoming a new daemon character for Chaos. And when people bring up the made-up story about Malekith fusing with his dragon, we could correct them and say "no no no, you got it wrong: it was actually MALUS who fused with his DEMON." :D

2 minutes ago, Dirtnaps said:

But honestly I think that's was a fitting end for him.

I agree.

Edited by The Golem
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Dirtnaps said:

No you're remembering correctly, Volturnos lost his eye fighting the Masque who was masquerading as Morathi who Volturnos thought he was meeting to end hostilities between the deepkin and the daughters of khaine.

Maybe I'm getting the wrong picture here, but the Masque is cursed to always dance. Did Volturnos not think something was up when 'Morathi' was doing the Macarena? :P

• Haha 7

^ Yep and that's an excellent reason to see both World-that-was souls and  for them to introduce heroes from the Age of Myth like Lantic Empire commanders and powerful mages bringing back lost spells from when the Realm cities had harnessed magic to create such wonders as the prismatikon and infinity gears.

1 hour ago, Enoby said:

Maybe I'm getting the wrong picture here, but the Masque is cursed to always dance. Did Volturnos not think something was up when 'Morathi' was doing the Macarena? :P

Hahaha! XD

Excellent point. Either he thought she was just being her famously flirty self(who even tried to seduce Nagash) or she was in snake form and the tail writhing counted as a dance.

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Morathi shouldn't be negotiating whilst in snake form - typically that's her enraged and out of control form ;)

That said "dance" might be a term that the Masque can interpret. For example it doesn't have to be a physical dance does it - a dance of words, thoughts, themes etc.... Maybe it can subtle dance so that little sways and flicks of a hand - what might be just casual normal motions to some, can be a woven complex subtle dance for it. 

• Like 1

I think GW should flesh out some characters they've already created/changed like Volturnos, Deepkin society, Kharadron lords I now it's more about Gods but still apart from Sigmar we haven't heard much about them. Even a story about Malerion, Morathi and Ulgu would be great. 

I think some characters could return like Araloth (who could return and reunite all small Aelven factions to some degree) but I would love to read about new heroes like Volturnos or some kind of iconic Stormcast then recycle old ideas. 

With the End Times for WHFB leading into the new game I was hoping it would be a totally clean break, with no old characters making it through, but of course that could never really happen just by the nature of it being a miniatures game which people already have  collections for.  Turning powerful old-world characters into the gods of the new setting is good, and new Morathi is a far better character now than she ever was (imo).  But I think the focus should definitely be on new characters, especially for new/re-imagined factions, which to be fair the books and stories tend to do quite well.

• Like 2

I've only read a couple of BL books but certainly what I found 'interesting' was, in say for example Soul Wars, how sidelined the characters that ostensibly came with the boxset were. yes the warscrolls for the models were for generic heroes but the fluff that come with the box made clear that the Lord Arcanum was Knossus and the Knight Incantor was Zeraphina.  They both appear but either just as a cameo or very much a secondary (tertiary even) character.

The Knight of Shrouds, Malendrek, gets a bit more time but even then he's still very much just in the background.

So I've wondered whether they're purposefully avoiding featuring characters with models too much in the books, as you can't really change or develop them too much, or certainly put them in genuine danger because if you kill them people using them in their armies might, quite literally, throw their toys out of their prams (I mean it's not like wargamers to hilariously overreact or anything).

All of which I can imagine as an author being a bit constraining and so given the choice make you more likely to have your Voltunus or Astreia Solbright types pop up in the background and then focus on someone whom you're free to do what you like with.

Probably totally wrong but just a thought I had, one that's obviously instantly weakened by stories heavily featuring the mortarchs (though get out clause that they could just be recreated).

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, JPjr said:

(I mean it's not like wargamers to hilariously overreact or anything).

Urgh, I'm sick of seeing comments like this. It makes me want to go away and set fire to my army and then share the video on youtube. I might even just quit the hobby all together. It's comments like this that remind me of the that one time GW did that thing I didn't like to that one thing I liked. Urgh.

21 minutes ago, JPjr said:

So I've wondered whether they're purposefully avoiding featuring characters with models too much in the books,

I wondered if the reverse is true as well. I was very surprised that Gotrek didn't get an insanely expensive model to tie in with realmslayer. Maybe they dont want to make models of characters that might be killed off in books later on.
I'm not 100% (not with out scanning over all the hero models) but from memory, has every character (model) recently been non-mortal. In fact the only mortal character I can think of right now is Brokk. Everyone else is a demi-god or as near-immortal as you can be (daemons and stormcasts)
The books with the freeguild (which seem to be rather popular) have not had any of their characters brought to miniature. I wonder if the books to miniature process has a character lifespan taken in too account. No point them having released a free guild hero from the realmgate wars, only for him to be dead by now I guess.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

What for? For something that we could enjoy eventuelly in several month? Lets play the game gentlemen, as there are many things to do with it actually.

What is this "playing the game" of which you speak? 

And, well, this is the rumours thread, a mole on the inside would be able to feed us rumours for this thread ;) That's the idea of a mole, or we could upgrade to a spy as the perks are better! 

Still we've got the GW open day coming up with some news we can expect and we've got Skirmish that we know of plus Moonclan - the only thing sitting in rumours is if we see anything more done with Slaanesh in the early part of the year or not

Okay, I'm really going to try to stretch nothing into something, but I think there's yet another Slaanesh tease in the WarhammerTV 205k subscriber studio tour video. At one point in the walk through, there's two guys looking at something they're amazed by that isn't shown on screen, but is giving off a pinkish/purplish glow which is of course the color ususally associated with Slaanesh. Of course they're dropping hints about Slaaneshish armies left and right, but just one more instance of GW tipping their hand(on purpose, since none have been actual leaks). I'll bet Emperor's Children very early in the year, and AoS and Daemons mid year or after.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/12/14/a-big-thank-you-to-our-250000-warhammer-tv-fans/

I thought that the amazed people were like the sprue photo - hearkening back to previous releases such as Chapter Approved and the Fiend sprue. Around 40 or so seconds in there's a table loaded with (mostly ) chaos titanic units and I don't think I can spot any Slaanesh or anything new on the table, but its a clear bit tease! 

Also 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/12/14/14th-dec-grim-dark-corners-to-bind-a-daemongw-homepage-post-4/

There's artwork at the early part which has quite a new take on Deamonettes. Whilst its mostly just art, unless they are giving us anew kind of them, because they look VERY "pinhead" inspired. Could be human woreshippers or another new unit considering that the other 3 gods got at least one new humanoid style unit. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Overread said:

There's artwork at the early part which has quite a new take on Deamonettes. Whilst its mostly just art, unless they are giving us anew kind of them, because they look VERY "pinhead" inspired. Could be human woreshippers or another new unit considering that the other 3 gods got at least one new humanoid style unit. 

It isn’t new artwork though. I like the look of those daemonettes, they look more like the concept art for that Warhammer game. But I don’t think it means new daemonette models... sadly 

59 minutes ago, Overread said:

Unfortunately, it's not a new piece of art. It's a cover of old wfb Deamons of Chaos army book