The Rumour Thread

6 hours ago, JPjr said:

I swear somedays we're like the ancient Romans in this community, all gathered around trying to divine the future from some unfortunate creature's entrails.

You say that like it's a bad thing, one of my most favorite parts of this community is the wild speculation on little tidbits, it's fun!

• Like 2

We already know - Moonclan. They got hinted at several times and its the most likely next big release for AoS with a Battletome. 

I would wager that they might come also with Endless Spells and there might be some new models, but that latter point is hard to be certain off. I'm reasonably sure each Battletome we now see will come with Endless Spells. 

After Moonclan its anyone's guess. There were a lot of hopeful guesses that we'd see a big Slaanesh release in the early part of the year, same as GW has done for the other 3 Chaos gods. Slaanesh is really lagging in both 40K and AoS in terms of updated models, new models and in AoS, a Battletome. That we are seeing the new Khorn VS Slaanesh kit speaks strongly of an approaching Slaanesh update - same as how GW has done for the other armies after a duel boxed set. Necrons and Ad Mech both got new Codex around their joint boxed set. Spacewolves and Genestealer Cultists both have - although for some reason GW has been rather slow at getting the Cultists out (however they ARE the next Codex release for 40K). 

So Moonclan next for near Certain

Slaanesh strong possibility

After that its anyone's guess. 

I dunno two chaos armies in one year? Seems a bit much. Also so far we need to expect mandatory Stormcast as well since its happened every year. Slaanesh is getting stuff then grots, then Stormcast and finally one more army for the year. I highly doubt it will be darkoath. Its kind of a wild care faction and I suspect we might begin hearing chatter after we get grots released. 

33 minutes ago, Barkanaut said:

I dunno two chaos armies in one year? Seems a bit much. Also so far we need to expect mandatory Stormcast as well since its happened every year. Slaanesh is getting stuff then grots, then Stormcast and finally one more army for the year. I highly doubt it will be darkoath. Its kind of a wild care faction and I suspect we might begin hearing chatter after we get grots released. 

I mean this year, Order got 3, death got two,  and Chaos got 2, so it not like there a limit or anything even if this year may have been an outlier then the rest.

Slaanesh ain’t coming for a while yet. Wont be coming without Malerion in tow. In all honesty I reckon Slaanesh will be either AOS 3.0 or the trigger for it ala Nagash and Malign Portents. GW are very good at pacing their releases these days and they won’t intend to bring out something as anticipated as the Slaanesh  chapter of AOS until they’ve sucked as much commercial mileage out of the current one.

Marvel built up to Infinity War over ten years rather than release everything within a year of each other for a reason.

• Like 1

My question is how did we make it this long without a skaven battletome? It’s gotta be coming. These are cool models, an original IP and very popular. It makes good business sense to have one and yet we’re still stuck with clan rats only being battle line for verminous. I’d like to have words with whoever came up with that genius idea. If there’s no skaven tome in 2019 I riot. RIOT I SAY!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Nos said:

Slaanesh ain’t coming for a while yet. Wont be coming without Malerion in tow. In all honesty I reckon Slaanesh will be either AOS 3.0 or the trigger for it ala Nagash and Malign Portents. GW are very good at pacing their releases these days and they won’t intend to bring out something as anticipated as the Slaanesh  chapter of AOS until they’ve sucked as much commercial mileage out of the current one.

Marvel built up to Infinity War over ten years rather than release everything within a year of each other for a reason.

I hope Slaanesh is AoS 3rd edition. Have to wait a fair while sure, but it'll mean they make his/her release properly epic, plus have the shadow/light aelf factions with brand new models (I hope) and maybe some realm specific stuff (terrain?) for Hyish and Ulgu.

In the meantime we just need battle tomes for all the unloved factions and for Destruction to get their time in the sun. Didn't warhammer community post a video along the lines of 'destruction rising' with a bad moon? 

16 minutes ago, Professor Clio said:

My question is how did we make it this long without a skaven battletome? It’s gotta be coming. These are cool models, an original IP and very popular. It makes good business sense to have one and yet we’re still stuck with clan rats only being battle line for verminous. I’d like to have words with whoever came up with that genius idea. If there’s no skaven tome in 2019 I riot. RIOT I SAY!

There is Clan Pestilens.

Though I think people have to keep in mind that WHF battle didn't sell well across the board, so even if people argue that Skaven or any army back then where popular and original in IP, I don't think it meant much profitability wise at least to GW.

of course I think Skaven will eventually get something, just hopefully sooner then 2020 year of the Rat

25 minutes ago, Barkanaut said:

Well with Greenskins gone I think it’s chopping block time for many older factions. Though a few might get updates like DoK or moon clan. We knew GW wouldn’t keep them around forever. 

Why gone they are still there, both rules and models.

edit: even the greenskinz Sc can still be bought.

Edited by Skreech Verminking

13 minutes ago, novakai said:

There is Clan Pestilens.

Though I think people have to keep in mind that WHF battle didn't sell well across the board, so even if people argue that Skaven or any army back then where popular and original in IP, I don't think it meant much profitability wise at least to GW.

of course I think Skaven will eventually get something, just hopefully sooner then 2020 year of the Rat

There have been rumors of a mixed skaven battletome coming out in 2019 late February.

(hoping for it to be true)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Nos said:

I suspected that Slannesh would be coupled with Malerion and teclis, but I’ve changed my opinion on that. 

Gw have stated clearly that the  Slannesh following is thriving regardless of the incarceration of the god. That and the fact wrath and rapture is on way, makes me believe that a new kos and maybe some new mortal units will be out 2019. 

They can do this and then still hold back the Slannesh vs Malerion/teclis story stream for 2020.

Although I agree that gw will have a planned 10 year revenue stream similar to companies like marvel, I also think that: A; gw do not have the scale of marvels cult following and need to strike while the hobby is so hot, and B; the mortal realms are so limitless that there are simply dozens and dozens of amazing factions they could do, to keep that revenue stream pumping for 10 years (and many more). 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Barkanaut said:

Well with Greenskins gone I think it’s chopping block time for many older factions. Tough a few might get updates like DoK or moon clan. We knew GW wouldn’t keep them around forever. 

Greenskins aren't gone. They're still on the GW page and their Start Collecting is still being sold. GW even said they're not Squatting any other factions.

There's no question, however, that GW seems to be purposely ignoring them. There's just nothing special about them. However, that's the issue with the generic fantasy factions (Freeguild, Dispossessed and Wanderers included) that were left over from WH Fantasy: how do you make them unique and IP friendly since that's the way AOS is heading?

They could get the BoC treatment,  get roped in with normal grots, and most people (myself included) would be happy they got something, At the bare minimum, GW could also just increase orruks to 2 wounds (3 to boar riders), give them a place in the Generals Handbook with Allegiance ability(s) and everything else.

Same could also be said for Gutbusters

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/12/10/10th-dec-where-in-the-mortal-realms-is-slaaneshgw-homepage-post-2/

Some saucy Slaanesh gossip for his/her faithful. Who know's, maybe more info isn't as far off as some people are speculating! Linked to Wrath and Rapture, but still a  cool little read to hype up people for the box. I certainly wasn't expecting a lore write up after the initial prerelease spiel!

1 hour ago, novakai said:

IDK, I feel like GW are ignoring Greenskinz in the bad way and not in the "we are purposely ignoring them because we have an awesome plan for them in the coming months" way. 

Got to agree here.

Hopeully they just get rolled in with ironjawz, it makes narrative sense that the normal Orruks would follow the big guys around, and it would give them a role.

• Like 1

Sorry folks, been busy for a few days so only just caught up :D

On 12/6/2018 at 9:54 PM, novakai said:

Unrelated, but I believe GW did mention that they where planning to allow Idoneath deepkin to be able to take the Merwyrm monster from Forgeworld into their army before AoS 2 came out but that never came to fruition in the end. 

This was something the new FW team were looking into, basically the option of allowing certain creatures the option to be included in a number of different armies.  When I spoke to them it was something that sounds really easy, but was quite tricky to actually implement - for example if the Merwyrm were included as part of an Idoneth army (logical) then allegiance abilities would make it pretty powerful but likely underpointed.  I'm still convinced we're going to see something.

On 12/7/2018 at 3:41 PM, Kaleb Daark said:

I am surprised however that they weren't given the 9th edition fantasy battle to own as they were 7th ed 40k ruleset for heresy.  I think that it would have made the "legends" age players happy and maybe even allowed them to look at AoS seriously once their rage quitting subsided if the system they so adored had not been torn out from underneath them.

7th edition 40k becoming the Age of Darkness ruleset wasn't actually planned to be done.  When FW looked at it, the amount of work required to convert to 8th was far too much for them to tackle especially following Alan passing away.  There was a rumour that when the Heresy goes over to the War on Terra they'll move over to 8th for that "setting".

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Sorry folks, been busy for a few days so only just caught up :D

This was something the new FW team were looking into, basically the option of allowing certain creatures the option to be included in a number of different armies.  When I spoke to them it was something that sounds really easy, but was quite tricky to actually implement - for example if the Merwyrm were included as part of an Idoneth army (logical) then allegiance abilities would make it pretty powerful but likely underpointed.  I'm still convinced we're going to see something.

The alliance chart in old Monstrous Arcanum would be a good starting point.

For instance Magma dragon in a Legion of Azgorh army makes sense.  The chart could have additional points to add to certain factions written into it to take into account the power increase it would get from certain allegiance abilities and faction buffs as you say.

29 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

7th edition 40k becoming the Age of Darkness ruleset wasn't actually planned to be done.  When FW looked at it, the amount of work required to convert to 8th was far too much for them to tackle especially following Alan passing away.  There was a rumour that when the Heresy goes over to the War on Terra they'll move over to 8th for that "setting".

ahh... fair cop then.

A big Slaanesh release doesn't have to coincide with a big story event, that can be totally separate. I think the other thing to remember is that AoS needs a lot of attention and really it needs all its armies to be Battletomed up before 3.0. Otherwise GW is leaving too much inventory sitting on shelves doing nothing; its leaving confusion in its market for no reason and by the time a 3.0 comes out older battletomes from the 1.0 edition are really going to be showing their age. 

They need to do what they'v done with 40K and get their armies supported across the whole range. Even if it means we dont' get any "new" armies this year it would at least make their range functional for what they have got out. 

That not only means more of their models will sell (good for them) but it means when we introduce new people to AoS its really easy for them to get into it and they can see what armies are on offer and what Battletomes to get. dont' forget many of us are already casually aware of things like the old Dark Elves and High Elves model lines so the alliance blocks we have within Grand Alliances make sense to us and we can easily see what fits where. Newbies won't have that benefit and it will confuse them why there are models for armies that appear to sort of be an army but are not. 

Take Darkling Covens, they've got army rules in the Generals Handbook, but right now are not listed as their own force on the GW store. Are they coming as their own army, are they being downsized, forgotten, dropped, replaced etc... For a newbie those are important questions - esp if they want to play with those rank and file troops and sorceresses upon dragons. 

• Like 5

I thought we'd get an Aelves battletome or something Free Cities related that ties them all together, but not so sure now. I don't even recall how any rumours started, aside from the AoS2 round up pages. I'm glad they're just aelves now, rather than the division of before, with natural groupings. There's got to be some logic however to having a faction of only two models, of which one unit (dark riders) are a two part kit in a new army (ie good enough for current edition). In fact, all the plastic dark elf models are good for a while yet, surely, especially looking at poor Abaddon and Eldar in 40k 😁

Selfishly, I want them all to remain in matched play, purely because I'd like to play with them when I eventually paint them. Secondly, I don't mind waiting for Malerion's faction becuase of said painting pile! 

In any case, I would definitely expect the Darkoath and maybe some other tomes well before Malerion and Teclis. Unsure on Slaanesh, but maybe they'll strike whilst the iron is hot... 

2 hours ago, Overread said:

Take Darkling Covens, they've got army rules in the Generals Handbook, but right now are not listed as their own force on the GW store. Are they coming as their own army, are they being downsized, forgotten, dropped, replaced etc... For a newbie those are important questions - esp if they want to play with those rank and file troops and sorceresses upon dragons. 

This. 100% this.

I like the reorganized site. I really do. BUT the conflation of GHB armies was unnecessary and confusing. Darkling Covens, Wanders and Freeguild should have been left separate. They have allegiance abilities.

The other Aelves been mashed together is totally fine but GHB factions are either a thing or not. This is a mixed message.

7 minutes ago, zedatkinszed said:

This. 100% this.

I like the reorganized site. I really do. BUT the conflation of GHB armies was unnecessary and confusing. Darkling Covens, Wanders and Freeguild should have been left separate. They have allegiance abilities.

The other Aelves been mashed together is totally fine but GHB factions are either a thing or not. This is a mixed message.

Essentially GW cant win.

They list by all allegiances and you get gamers coming out in cold sweats and itchy palms because they cant stand a faction being 'incomplete' in their eyes.

List by battletomes and people complain GHB allegiances are not represented.

List but those with GHB allegiance abilities and you dismiss some valid factions that just dont have GHB rules.

• Thanks 2