The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, ReynakZhen said:

If I remember correctly, Slanesh didn't change those dark aelfes, Morathi did that.

8 minutes ago, Overread said:

It was both really.

The souls harvested from Slaanesh's belly are twisted by his corrupting force. Morathi escaped with body and soul, but her body was twisted into her huge form with snake tail and wings. She uses illusion magic to appear almost aelfen and normal. That's why when  the Idoneth were made they were twisted and damaged too.

Khinari and Melusai, whilst twisted in Morathi's image, are also damaged by the warp which is part why they take a twisted form. Morathi guides it, but the damage is already there from Slaanesh. 

Ah beat me too it. Yeah going off the Idoneth and the Daughters of Khaine they're basically going to have to do something like this to all the aelf souls that were trapped inside Slaanesh. Slaanesh messed them up good and going off the lore there's been quite a bit of trial and error on the part of the aelven gods.

• Like 1

Yep plus we know very little about them.

We know that Idoneth are a full people and able to breed, but they have an issue with their offspring being born without souls. They can still live they are just not fully alive unless they harvest souls.

Meanwhile in Daughters of Khaine we only know that both Khinari and Melusai are elite units kept hidden much of the time within the temples. The story states that they all come from the blood pools where Morathi creates them personally. So thus far the have no bred and there's no evidence to say if there are any male variations or if they've ever tried breeding with regular aelves. 

This creates an interesting situation for Morathi since the only way to get more, currently, is from the souls from Slaanesh. Now in theory that well will run dry eventually and even before that her additional quota of souls could be stopped and Slaanesh could escape; prevent more being taken or the other Aelven gods (Morathi is only near demigod in power not full god) could take away her allocation. So we might well see a story event where she's forced to create male variations in limited number to allow her elite troops to be replenished. Of course such creatures might not bend to her will so easily as the males of her people and the Doomfires. It also might be that they are born soulless like the Ideoneth or that might be quick only they have to suffer from.

Note Bloodwrack medusa are not melusai and are instead formed when a regular Aelf is bitten by one of Morathi's head serpents. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ironbreaker said:

So are the factions listed as they are on the community page how armies will likely to be grouped up in the future? (Free Peoples combining all the other Empire stuff, Dispossessed being their own thing, combined Aelves, Gutbusters taking Firebellies and Maneaters, ect) 

If GW stick to that plan, and assuming it was actually planned that way and not just coincidence that LoN, flesheater courts, nighthaunt, and beasts of chaos all ended up the same as presented in the faction focus, then yeah probably?

I feel like the plan changes every other year though. 😅

1 hour ago, Waiyuren said:

If GW stick to that plan, and assuming it was actually planned that way and not just coincidence that LoN, flesheater courts, nighthaunt, and beasts of chaos all ended up the same as presented in the faction focus, then yeah probably?

I feel like the plan changes every other year though. 😅

If you think about it, there are 5 High elf subfactions.

Lets assume Tyrion and Teclis come up with the Angelic Aelfs and Malerion comes with his.  Lets say both this factions use older models as a base.

There will still be a crapload of High elf to go around. To me the obvious choice to group then up in a BT.  Those old school aelfs have been fending for thenselfs without aid of their gods.

Lorewise, the possible treat of Slaneesh  escaping and coming after Aelf souls, you would think they would organize thenselfs for the upcomming battles.

I dont belive in the long run GW will keep this policy of small "suport" factions.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Thiagoma said:

Lets assume Tyrion and Teclis come up with the angelic Aelfs and Malerion comes with his.  Lets say both this factions use older models as a base.

There will still be a crapload of High elf to go around. To me the obvious choice to group then up in a BT. 

Cause GW always take the obvious route.. 😛 (which I'm quite happy they don't)

I'm betting from the importance and stand out high borne Aelven factions we'll see this:

Swifthawk agents expanded into own faction.

Eldritch Council, Phoenix temple and Lion rangers combined into a Free Cities book that's Order's version of Nagash Legion's as large elements of humans, aelves and duardin are all put into it.

Order Draconis combined into the new Hysh Aelf army as they gather under Tyrion's power for a full reconquest of Hysh.

Those old school aelfs have been fending for thenselfs without aid of their gods. 

Really that's Order Draconis, Lion Rangers and Phoenix Temple.

Swiftwings and Eldritch Council were shown in the Dawnspire set's background that they were also in Hysh to help defend it from chaos (thus with Tyrion and Teclis) while others like the Draconis are specifically mentioned in the GA Order book that they had to rely just on their skill and horsemenship to survive in the Realms as their kingdoms fell and they set to help others who couldn't make it to Azyr.

So it's a mixed bag but regardless they're still worshipful of their gods as much as Devoted of Sigmar never lost faith even when living in caves with brayherds breathing down their necks.

I dont belive in the long run GW will keep this policy of small "suport" factions. 

Very likely, that's just holdovers from the beginning and it'll be much more lucrative to put them in Legion-esque battletomes that combine multiple armies acting like GA 2.0's.

Shadowblade you can squeeze into a couple aelf forces? Alright.

Shadowblade you can combine with a a mixed force of human battles mages, Duardin heavy infantry and Aelven Phoenixes on top of unique allegiances? Heck yeah!

8 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

Shadowblade you can squeeze into a couple aelf forces? Alright.

Shadowblade you can combine with a a mixed force of human battles mages, Duardin heavy infantry and Aelven Phoenixes on top of unique allegiances? Heck yeah!

In the core rules it says one of the possible origins of the Shadowblades is that they were a gift to Sigmar from Malerion, so if they do go down that route they could be rolled into Malerions aelves.

• Like 1

Very possible. I imagine will see several more DoK situations with the aelves to round out the future armies.

On the lore side of that note, I really liked how the Stormcast battletome follows up that information with Sigmar using the Shadowblades to silence the mortal feuds from all the refugees swarming into Azyrheim and sought to settle age old grudges and wars despite the threat of chaos.

Poor fellow had a ton of weeding to do for his last bastion of order to survive.

Edited by Baron Klatz

Do not forget that GW is also putting some snippets of other potential future factions. For example the Golemkind mentioned in the Core book and if I’m not wrong in at least another book. It is not unlikely in the future we will see brand new factions we never heard before.

This does not exclude rebranding ex WHFB armies, like DoK. And even the supper battletome loke LoN... I think was the best battletome in quite some time, don’t you agree? Just wish there was one coming for Free Peoples with humans, aelves and duardins!! 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

This does not exclude rebranding ex WHFB armies, like DoK. And even the supper battletome loke LoN... I think was the best battletome in quite some time, don’t you agree? Just wish there was one coming for Free Peoples with humans, aelves and duardins!! 

I believe boc can compete with the fish-things

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 1

I could see that, kinda like how a Tzeentch sorcerer used a crystal golem army to defend himself on a Great Worm city he conquered.

I imagine other stuff like that will fit Destruction eventually, Cogmen, Steppe Khanates(fire worshippers & gargant warriors), the two species of Merfolk mentioned by the Deepkin tome,  the reptile race of Sankrit with their empire in Ghur and a good deal of other mentions.

No end of possibilities there. :D (with hopefully some God-beast focused factions one day)

Also agreed on LoN being a great tome. Hopefully we'll see more of that to bind together the sub-factions. A Free Cities one would be a day-one pre-order for me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alghero81 said:

Do not forget that GW is also putting some snippets of other potential future factions. For example the Golemkind mentioned in the Core book and if I’m not wrong in at least another book. It is not unlikely in the future we will see brand new factions we never heard before.

They are also mentioned as the servants of the Algoraxi in the Firestorm campaign book.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

I want to believe in a unified high elf battletome!

Personally I hope GW won't reunify the aelves, or at least that they won't re-do them the way they were in WHFB (high elves/dark elves/wood elves). I was getting tired of the classic warhammer elves and I like the way they shook those armies and made new sub-factions out of them.

I also prefer when my dark elves are a little less dark (especially the scourge privateers): I prefer them as morally dubious characters instead of the outright psychopaths and sadistic murderers they were in the World-that-was. Therefore I really hope that the Daughters of Khaine will be the closest faction to the original druchiis and that the other "dark elf" factions (privateers, shadowblade, serpentis) will become a bit lighter (or "grayer" if you will) compared to their previous incarnations.
The same goes for the high elves: I hope they will be updated to be a little less noble and haughty than they were in WHFB with their spotless white robes.

All in all, I don't mind a unified aelf battletome, as long as GW get innovative and don't write them to be the exact same type of elves as they were before. For example, a battletome that would mix a bit of both dark elves and high elves (like Order Draconix + Order Serpentis being various knighthood orders working in the same army) would be cooler in my opinion.

PS: sorry, I went a bit off-topic.

Edited by The Golem
  • Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

42 minutes ago, The Golem said:

Personally I hope GW won't reunify the aelves, or at least that they won't re-do them the way they were in WHFB (high elves/dark elves/wood elves). I was getting tired of the classic warhammer elves and I like the way they shook those armies and made new sub-factions out of them.

I also prefer when my dark elves are a little less dark (especially the scourge privateers): I prefer them as morally dubious characters instead of the outright psychopaths and sadistic murderers they were in the World-that-was. Therefore I really hope that the Daughters of Khaine will be the closest faction to the original druchiis and that the other "dark elf" factions (privateers, shadowblade, serpentis) will become a bit lighter (or "grayer" if you will) compared to their previous incarnations.
The same goes for the high elves: I hope they will be updated to be a little less noble and haughty than they were in WHFB with their spotless white robes.

All in all, I don't mind a unified aelf battletome, as long as GW get innovative and don't write them to be the exact same type of elves as they were before. For example, a battletome that would mix a bit of both dark elves and high elves (like Order Draconix + Order Serpentis being various knighthood orders working in the same army) would be cooler in my opinion.

PS: sorry, I went a bit off-topic.

I like the idea that (much like real life humans) races (or sub factions or what ever) can be all shades of dubious.

I've always liked the idea of evil high elves or neutral dark elves.

• Like 4

While we are going a bit off topic the rumours thread I agree with a previous mention of battletome uniting some elf factions with humans and duardin in a free people battletome. Scourge I would love if they could use any unit with the monster tag but not hero, how fun would that be? They would need a bit more battle lines however 

• Like 1

(Golem's post)

^^^^

110% this! I love the new aelves of the Free cities and how they'll mingle with the other races. Just having Prince Maesa(the Wanderer Nomad Prince) talk on an equal level with a regular person was so refreshing as well as the Privateers being awesome underhanded yet charismatic allies.

The one from "The Denied" audio book was such a charming rogue without the Druchii edge which was brilliant.

So yeah, hopefully they keep aelves as another race amongst the cities.

29983728_782235965306532_469671329072826

Hammerhal Quest background having their nobles alongside the human nobles while going on about how they ventured to seedy taverns to start fights was also ace.

T9eEuRl.jpg

1 hour ago, Vasshpit said:

Elaboration please. 

The Sankrit are in the Hamilcar Bear-Eater short story as they waged war with the Jercho city-states from their empire n the northern edges of the Sea of Bones.

Wasn't a lot on them (short story that focused more on Hamilcar and Jercho) except that they're reptilian warriors with claws on their knuckles as a notable feature.

Could be expanded upon in the future when Ghur becomes the main stage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

Scourge I would love if they could use any unit with the monster tag but not hero, how fun would that be? They would need a bit more battle lines however 

Unrelated, but I believe GW did mention that they where planning to allow Idoneath deepkin to be able to take the Merwyrm monster from Forgeworld into their army before AoS 2 came out but that never came to fruition in the end. 

• Like 4

Far as I'm aware FW has yet to really revise their AoS line and focus. They clearly need to revise their listings and adjust things and release some new models too. I know last year GW said that FW was now using a dedicated AoS team and that they were going to address the fact that FW makes very little for AoS (and fantasy before that). So I'm hoping that in 2019 we start to see this. I would be great to get more mythical beasts, warriors, heroes and wandering realm monsters from FW! 

And yes they did say they wanted to revise their own army listings -creatures like the myerworm are ideal for armies like Idoneth and Scourge; whilst other beasties are ideal to be shared around too. Hopefully they can do a few inter-alliance monsters and not tie everything to one specific alliance. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Overread said:

And yes they did say they wanted to revise their own army listings -creatures like the myerworm are ideal for armies like Idoneth and Scourge; whilst other beasties are ideal to be shared around too. Hopefully they can do a few inter-alliance monsters and not tie everything to one specific alliance. 

cough "Khorne Dragon" cough

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Overread said:

That beast has been in the works for ages and ages now -  but yes its a mighty and impressive beast! 

I heard, though I cannot remember where from, that the Khorne dragon was meant to be part of an End Times series. We had the big Nurgle dragon monster by FW, and the Khorne Dragon, but I think there was meant to be a Tzeentch and Slaanesh one too. I doubt we'll see them, but I would love for this rumour to be true and for the models to actually be released.  

• Like 1