The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

What happened with that box? 

They previewed the game over a good month or two and really built up some hype. Game was previewed a couple of weeks before it was due to be released on one of their streaming/convention type things. The lads spoke about how awesome the game was going to be and that we would see other stuff for it in the future, that it was going to be supported both with releases and with new things in white dwarf. Game was released with hardly any stock made, lot of people ordering multi copies through various means even though it was limited (something like one or two per person, but they did it per order, so people were just making multiply orders) and it sold out in next to no time. In my area it sold out in less than 7 mins- I was in the process of paying at the checkout when it went oos.

A lot of people message GW and was like, hey what's up with that. We didn't get a response for almost a week but then they announced a reprint of the rules. That was released a month later and we had one, maybe two articles in white dwarf then the game went quiet. People emailed GW (and pestered them on facebook, sigh!) and asked what was going on and they said that the game was never going to be a main stay item, that it was meant to be a hold over game on a quiet month meant to be a good terrain bundle, nothing more. Didn't help that there was a small percentage of the community showing off their multi copies of the games under these conversations and being rude to people complaining and making it known that they had no interest in the game, only used it as a terrain bundle.

I know it put more than several people off buying into kill team in case it was the same deal.

(This is wildly off AoS rumours now so I won't mention this again!)

• Thanks 3

It's a larger flaming torch, one of two (or possibly more now) that fit either side of the Blood Cauldron. Clearly GW is going to update the model with a supreme brand new version featuring at least 50% more fire and 110% more blood!!

Though yeah I'd wager that is a sisters item too although it looks like its on a post rather than barrel or the like so could be fantasy .

You put a frown there but I'm relieved. Already blew my hobby budget on all the crazy stuff in this month that hasn't finished it's reveals! :D

Give people's wallets a breather.

1 hour ago, Malin said:

Wait, weren't there discussion for last few pages that AoS Skirmish is not gonna happen? 

We live in crazy good times :)

On my part I was just taking a wild guess that it'd be an opportune time for them to  work on it with all the small scale stuff like UnderWorlds taking off.

That Skirmish's fluff was centered around ShadeSpire means now it's plot can advance as the warbands delve deeper and Slaanesh threatens to break free.

It also would build player hype for a new global campaign with the updated warband battles and serves as excellent filler until we see something big again like a new Warhammer Quest or the like.

I'd love to see that this is a preview of a brand new boxed skirmish game (Skirmish is the only AoS I play now) and I've been waiting on a full blown version. I'd be very surprised that they kept a full boxed version, akin to kill team, secret until now though. I would have thought they would have shown it off. There defiantly have been hints that is what they intended to do, but if this is really a skirmish release in January, I'd suspect we are getting nothing more than a rewrite of the small pamphlet rules.

I'd love to be wrong though. Nothing would be better than going into the new year with a brand new skirmish game. (Wishlisting: I'd love to see them do an almost identical set to kill team but with the flavour of 6th Ed Skirmish. Include 10-20 models of a free guild unit and 10-20 models from destruction (make a nice change from chaos) and have the book filled with articles in the style of 6th ed skirmish, lots of conversions from basic models. Include a couple of sets of ruins (freeguild housing would be the dream, current ruins would be acceptable!) and a new mordheim-esque accessory sprue, plenty of weapons, barrels and chests. Oh, and rope!)

A full blown skirmish set would increase sales of old kits (freeguild troops got snatched up when skirmish V1 came out!), give them a good excuse to do some mordheim made to orders and encourage sales of shadespire kits to the non-shadespire crowd.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, RexHavoc said:

They previewed the game over a good month or two and really built up some hype. Game was previewed a couple of weeks before it was due to be released on one of their streaming/convention type things. The lads spoke about how awesome the game was going to be and that we would see other stuff for it in the future, that it was going to be supported both with releases and with new things in white dwarf. Game was released with hardly any stock made, lot of people ordering multi copies through various means even though it was limited (something like one or two per person, but they did it per order, so people were just making multiply orders) and it sold out in next to no time. In my area it sold out in less than 7 mins- I was in the process of paying at the checkout when it went oos.

A lot of people message GW and was like, hey what's up with that. We didn't get a response for almost a week but then they announced a reprint of the rules. That was released a month later and we had one, maybe two articles in white dwarf then the game went quiet. People emailed GW (and pestered them on facebook, sigh!) and asked what was going on and they said that the game was never going to be a main stay item, that it was meant to be a hold over game on a quiet month meant to be a good terrain bundle, nothing more. Didn't help that there was a small percentage of the community showing off their multi copies of the games under these conversations and being rude to people complaining and making it known that they had no interest in the game, only used it as a terrain bundle.

I know it put more than several people off buying into kill team in case it was the same deal.

(This is wildly off AoS rumours now so I won't mention this again!)

Yeah, they really dropped the ball on SW:A and they know it. They were very adamant that Kill Team was going a full game and continue to be supported and that the box set was going to be a long term part of the line up.

Hopefully if a skirmish game ever comes out for AoS will have the full line up of support for box sets that Kill Team has gotten and of course a real skirmish ruleset this time. I just hope GW doesn't see the Underworlds board game as a skirmish game.

If you guys were to take a guess, would you expect Wrath and Rapture to be on preorder on the 9th, 16th, or 23rd of December? I doubt it's the 9th because we haven't heard much about it this week, but a 16th preorder seems to be a really odd date because it'd release so close to Christmas. The 23rd seems even stranger - I doubt many people would have the time to preorder something that close to Christmas. Any later and it wouldn't be released in December. 

GW is almost running full steam as if they've forgotten about Christmas; that or they've convinced staff to work over that period! 

Heck chances are their production side doesn't slow up too much considering the big volume sales time it is for them; so it might be that management has worked out that if al they have to do is write a few pre-written articles for the website they can leave it all in the hands of a few staffers to quickly add items to the stores and update the community pages. Ergo they could keep going! 

It does seem that pre-order on the 16th might be on the cards since its not hinted at for the 9th. But it does seem odd to have a product like that pre order so late and pretty much miss Christmas (23rd release is very late!). I honestly thought they'd be pre-ordering on the 9th for the last time this year and then having a release on the 16th and then nothing more new until the new year. 

2 hours ago, bsharitt said:

Yeah, they really dropped the ball on SW:A and they know it. They were very adamant that Kill Team was going a full game and continue to be supported and that the box set was going to be a long term part of the line up.

Hopefully if a skirmish game ever comes out for AoS will have the full line up of support for box sets that Kill Team has gotten and of course a real skirmish ruleset this time. I just hope GW doesn't see the Underworlds board game as a skirmish game.

Yeah, SW:A put me off buying into many of the games they have released in the past 12 months. I ended up buying Kill team, but I paid almost next to nothing for it (A combination of Brexit and discount stores!) but if I had to buy retail, I'd still wouldn't have brought it now. (even so, kill team was a let down from what was offered on the advertising campaign, but that's a complaint for another forum!)

The rumour that Bottle/Sam (creator of hinterlands) has been hinted at for a while now. I'd absolutely love it if we got a full blown skirmish game set in the greywater area, like his original ruleset. It was always a shame that hinterlands was pulled before V3 was put up as there was a ton of stuff he had ready and was about to add to the game before he was snatched up by GW! Here's hoping if its not a box set then at the very least its the contents of HInterlands v3!

There was a hint directly from GW a little while ago, but I can't find it now (If I can find it I will pop back and post it) It was something like a FAQ for kill team at its release (maybe an errata?) and one of the 'FAQs' was something on the lines of AoS fans will be getting something similar soon™. Someone else might remember the same graphic that they put up which mentions it.

Edit: Ah, found the file again almost as soon as I'd posted:
https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/KIll_Team_QA.pdf

The bit about AoS is on page five, but sadly isn't as 'skirmish' related as I remember. It's a very broad, like a politicians  answer! Oh well!

16 minutes ago, Overread said:

o it might be that management has worked out that if al they have to do is write a few pre-written articles for the website they can leave it all in the hands of a few staffers to quickly add items to the stores and update the community pages

If I recall correctly (Which judging by the way I remembered the kill team FAQ I posted above, I dont count on it!) black library shut down over christmas last year, almost sure they left a message saying they would be back in the new year, yet posts still came up over the two weeks. More than likely they have most of the community pages on timed auto post. Probably do so with the sunday nights ones each week anyway. Unlikely they will want to pay double time for a job that can be set up and done during the week!

Edited by RexHavoc
  • Like 1

I probably would guess 16th of December over the 23rd but I agree that it seems odd to release the box so late around Christmas, I guess it got push back because of all the 40k stuff lately.

if the Preorder ends up on the 23rd, it be really odd because of the holidays.

Yeah plus it totally removes it as a possible gift for most people as even though many do shop late for Christmas that leaves what 2 days over which time shops shut early; postal orders will NOT get through on time and, regardless, most people won't even be able to tell anyone it exists.

It might be that GW could do something special, eg preorder on the 16th but then have it go on sale on the 19th instead. Ergo end the week early due to the holiday season. That lets them have a per-order period, but cuts the normal week into a half a week (which would likely mean suppliers would get it shipped a little earlier to get it distributed through the system.

19 hours ago, RexHavoc said:

I think GW biggest failure has always been they desire to push larger and larger games, when skirmish games are the bread and butter of this scale. WFB ended up with huge armies that new people just couldn't aspire to getting ready to play their first game. 40k has suffered with model bloat- 2nd edition forces had a much lower model count.

I think it's more that the overwhelming community request is for big games.  When AoS first came out (pre-points) and super fun at all game sizes, it was the community that pushed army sized battles rather than GW.

11 hours ago, RexHavoc said:

I'd love to be wrong though. Nothing would be better than going into the new year with a brand new skirmish game. (Wishlisting: I'd love to see them do an almost identical set to kill team but with the flavour of 6th Ed Skirmish. 

I think GW were surprised with how well the Skirmish supplement was received within AoS - there is nearly always a game or two of skirmish being played at WHW whenever I've been up there and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a Kill-Team/Hinterland/Mordheim release at some point!  Where AoS suffers in my opinion for this type of game is lack of suitable terrain.  I was looking at my old cardboard Mordheim scenery the other day and it provides mountains more cover and levels over the current scenery that's available.  However I'm now starting to diverge away from rumours :D  #skirmishjanuary!

• Like 5