The Rumour Thread

19 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

Have to be honest has been a great year for AoS 2018, and if half rumours are true 2019 looks equally good (Moonclan, Darkoath, Slaanesh, 1-2 AoS 1.0 new battletomes, maybe new aelves?) but plot wise after the necroquake nothing much. Even the 3 latest novellas: darkoath, scourge privateers and freeguild? Seems a poor choice to advance the world lore, or do they provide any hint about potential development of those armies? Didn’t read the books yet, but they are in my Xmas shopping list...

Heart of Winter, The Red Hours and Warqueen give a small snippet of insight into the factions in them (some more than others) but they're pretty limited considering they're so short. I don't think they were ever meant to advance the lore at all, they're cool little stories set in the realms involving a few characters from various factions with no huge world changing events, they could also be setting up these characters for more novels or appearances in the future (which I'm down for honestly). Then there's the Gotrek one which feels like it was written to tide us over until the next novel while also giving us a tiny bit of background on his companion Maleneth, really interested to see where this series goes because so far I'm really enjoying it.  They're all great reads and I honestly think they'd be pretty good to give to someone with no knowledge of AoS to get them interested in the setting, especially The Red Hours.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Carnelian said:

I've read novella 7 and 8 and let me tell you they are bloody brilliant and you'll have a great Christmas! The age of sigmar short stories are absolutely brilliant at the moment. 

2 hours ago, Dirtnaps said:

Heart of Winter, The Red Hours and Warqueen give a small snippet of insight into the factions in them (some more than others) but they're pretty limited considering they're so short. I don't think they were ever meant to advance the lore at all, they're cool little stories set in the realms involving a few characters from various factions with no huge world changing events, they could also be setting up these characters for more novels or appearances in the future (which I'm down for honestly). Then there's the Gotrek one which feels like it was written to tide us over until the next novel while also giving us a tiny bit of background on his companion Maleneth, really interested to see where this series goes because so far I'm really enjoying it.  They're all great reads and I honestly think they'd be pretty good to give to someone with no knowledge of AoS to get them interested in the setting, especially The Red Hours.

100 percent agree with both of these.  For me, the AoS novellas were by far the best of the bunch.

11 hours ago, alghero81 said:

Have to be honest has been a great year for AoS 2018, and if half rumours are true 2019 looks equally good (Moonclan, Darkoath, Slaanesh, 1-2 AoS 1.0 new battletomes, maybe new aelves?) but plot wise after the necroquake nothing much. Even the 3 latest novellas: darkoath, scourge privateers and freeguild? Seems a poor choice to advance the world lore, or do they provide any hint about potential development of those armies? Didn’t read the books yet, but they are in my Xmas shopping list...

If Slaanesh breaks free next year (which I think is a certain), I am willing to wager a fair amount that it will involve his/her former guardians as well (ie Malerion and Tyrion/Teclis). So, new aelves is pretty much a given.

Slaanesh doesn't even have to break free to cause huge chaos and trouble. Even if he were still contained but managed to stem the tide of souls seeping from his belly it would send huge ripples through the Aelves and might well uncover Morathi's involvement whcih could further fracture alliance and unity of Order.

Another aspect could be that Slaanesh finds a way to twist those souls escaping him and piggy backs off Morathi's syphoning and sends a surge of twisted, mutated aelven souls to his forces to bolster them in a dramatic way. Cutting support for some of the Aelves most powerful units whilst at the same time bolstering his own.

An ideal moment for the Demonic and Anglic Aelves to arise. Plus if Malarion's forces arise in power we can possibly expect to find out the real reason he gave Sigmar that grand arena! 

45 minutes ago, S133arcanite said:

Unless I’m mistaken, I just saw an advert for Jamie Oliver’s cooking show with Becca Scott as a guest. Not a rumour but kind of cool.

What does that have to do with anything Warhammer related??? She does all kinds of videos for all kinds of companies.  Any paying gig, a youtube mercenary if you will.  TBH I think that the videos she did for GW would have been done better by an employee / player with more passion/knowledge for the games.  Not like the production quality warranted hiring a personality (half the time she's not even looking at the right camera) 

• Like 1

In fairness some of her GW ones I think its the GW or whoever is directing choosing those odd camera angles rather than her. Certainly her early videos with them had odd camera angles and cuts all over the place. I think they've streamlined those out mostly now as they were not needed and just confusing

8 hours ago, Overread said:

Another aspect could be that Slaanesh finds a way to twist those souls escaping him and piggy backs off Morathi's syphoning and sends a surge of twisted, mutated aelven souls to his forces to bolster them in a dramatic way. Cutting support for some of the Aelves most powerful units whilst at the same time bolstering his own.

Love this idea, it'd be a very exciting twist, add new models and bring the chaos god back into the fray. Prehaps causing so much havok that Slanesh could weaken his restraints for another epic story. 

If GW dont watch these feeds or feeds like this they'd be missing a trick. So many different and great ideas!

In fairness to GW I'd expect the lore and releases and structure for at least the next 6 months or so to already be set in near stone pretty much. Esp since models and sculpts and a lot of work will already be underway right this very moment. So sometimes when cool ideas come along we are already too late ;)

6 minutes ago, Overread said:

In fairness to GW I'd expect the lore and releases and structure for at least the next 6 months or so to already be set in near stone pretty much. Esp since models and sculpts and a lot of work will already be underway right this very moment. So sometimes when cool ideas come along we are already too late ;)

Speak for your self mate most of big wigs often watch few forums with out revealing them selfs.

13 hours ago, Overread said:

Actually much further than that. After the end of the Seeds of Hope campaign in 2016 Rountree announced they had the next 5 years of production planned out for AoS.

As for my guess on what's gonna happen next year. Well there's no way Slaanesh's prison and ShadeSpire's essence are that close to eachother in the void without a reason.

I'm betting on the next campaign focus that pushes the plot to be either UnderWorlds or even Skirmish(2.0) focused as a starved Slaanesh reaches out for the tasty morsel that the city full of trapped souls represents.

On how it got a bit of freedom to do this, well I've been hearing new Ironjawz rumors which along with the Moonclan make me think Morathi will be hardpressed by Khorne, Nighthaunt and the new Waaaghs which force her to pull on even more souls and thus loosen Slaanesh's bonds.

That's my guess anyway, I think Slaanesh won't be fully released until 2020 (unless we see a campaign to release it sooner) as there's still a lot of drawn-out plot potential there.

I can see GW releasing a bunch of new models in advance of Slaanesh being released from prison (or something else major happening) since they've been fighting non-stop since he was imprisoned. In fact when you look at Chaos armies the Gods themselves are quite removed. Instead its greater deamons that do a lot more of the interaction with corruption and mortals; all seeking favour of their God. It's a bit like a company, the lower ranks don't need to interact with the guy at the top much; their orders are filtered down through stages. The loss of the head might stifle  things for a while, but the company (chaos) can keep going forward because all the underlings are still in place. Heck it might ramp up a notch as some of the Greater Deamons think that there's a chance to take the big seat! 

As for skirmish I can't see GW pushing that product line until they've cleaned up the listings. Right now would be a bad time to tempt people into a skirmish game with factions like Shadowblades with 2 models to their name with no "future" or s tructure clearly planned out for how players can take that temptation into a full AoS army. Even something as simple as putting Battletomes for allies on the shadowblades tab so that players are shown that they are small elite force best used as allies for other forces etc.. And that, of course, is only one of many examples. 

1 hour ago, Baron Klatz said:

Skirmish(2.0)

I hope that skirmish V2 isn't tied to any part of the main story or current campaign, rather it is it's own self-contained thing. If it's tied in with anything that is being pushed as the current hyped product, then it's going to have a dramatically shorter lifespan. I'd rather see it as it's own thing, not only does that give us another corner of the universe to play in but can be more sandboxed- allowing to run it like kill team, open enough to release products for it unrelated to any one era of the game.  if they tie it in with the current daemon stuff, then as soon as that time is over, skirmish will be pushed aside.

21 minutes ago, Overread said:

As for skirmish I can't see GW pushing that product line until they've cleaned up the listings.

I honestly think we will get v2 next year as soon as we have a heavy 40k release schedule. With the popularity of kill team I think we will get a larger set over just a rulebook this time (and hopefully with some decent terrain bundled- no more ruins!)
There are  rumours that its on its way and it would mirror this years AoS heavy release schedule with kill team coming out in the middle of it.

Killteam is working great for 40K so I fully expect to see it for AoS and likely with a revamp to skirmish. It's a bold move by GW to take modes that were once a corner of the main rules and make them their own product, but it really works. It breaks that "its expensive" barrier for many new people (esp younger on tighter budgets) by giving them a major game with its own focus that can run on one box of models. 

Once they are in that one box can turn to two, then three or perhaps a commander model. Now they are well on their way to a 500 point army; they've bought into the game and they are hooked and now its still the same costs, but they've far more attachment, justification and reason to save and now they are working toward a 1K army and playing 40K proper as well as Kilteam

AoS would benefit greatly from this, but yeah we need a solid year like 40K just had where GW can give the bulk of Grand Alliances clear structure. So that those people who get tempted in are hooked and held and have reason to expand with a clear pathway. 

43 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Rule wise yes.

Commercially yes.

But for stock management, NO. Resellers can only get one perwekk! WTF? Customers delivery by GW is only ONE per order. WTF?

It's only the big box that's limited currently and it's super popular because of what good value it is - the models, rulebook, dice cards etc come up to pretty much the value of the box before you consider the scenery :o  For most regular people you're only going to want one box so limiting shouldn't be an issue ;)

1 minute ago, michu said:

Yes, @RuneBrush.is right. I think that limitation is set, because GW remembers what happened with Shadow War: Armageddon 

I think GW biggest failure has always been they desire to push larger and larger games, when skirmish games are the bread and butter of this scale. WFB ended up with huge armies that new people just couldn't aspire to getting ready to play their first game. 40k has suffered with model bloat- 2nd edition forces had a much lower model count.

Skirmish for AoS was one of the best things I saw them do- a simple rule set that had people painting and playing in next to no time. Even someone like me, who even after all this time still paints like tomorrow is never going to happen, can knock up a skirmish force pretty quickly. Skirmish games also lead to people being able to spend money on things that might otherwise never bother with. I've certainly picked up more than my fair share of kits to make models for skirmish just to get a couple of parts.

SW:A was something beyond dumb. All that promotion of the game and being a perfect starter kit for 40k skirmish as well as a necromunda terrain bundle and only after release did they announced that it wasn't going to be the game they hyped it up to be. Not enough stock and having people buy into a game that they dropped support immediately defiantly left a sour taste with some of their customer base.

AoS2 is probably going to be the very last version of any warhammer game I will buy. A decent value box set of skirmish will probably keep my buying into fantasy for the time they support it, as well as buying new kits long after they drop support. They could even tie it in with a re-release (Or a made to order) of Mordheim stuff to cash in on the old world stuff. (Hell, they could add a small mordheim expansion pretty easily: most of the work is already done)

1 hour ago, Overread said:

AoS would benefit greatly from this, but yeah we need a solid year like 40K just had where GW can give the bulk of Grand Alliances clear structure. So that those people who get tempted in are hooked and held and have reason to expand with a clear pathway.  

Yeah defiantly. From a business sense they dont want people buying in to small scale AoS when they have all these huge forces and battletomes having been released this year. I had thought it to be next year, seeing as they seem to flip between the two games now. But there are still a lot of rumoured forces due out for AoS we have not seen yet and the only big rumours I've seen attached to 40k next year is sisters of battle and maybe new chaos. Unless they are dropping the life cycle of main games and releasing 40k 8.5 or 9, especially with this campaign that has just started- would match to how they led into AoS2 with Malign portents.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Overread said:

In fact when you look at Chaos armies the Gods themselves are quite removed. Instead its greater deamons that do a lot more of the interaction with corruption and mortals; 

Pedantic response but Khorne is kinda the exception there on account his no magic policy screwed his armies against enemies who mastered it during the invasion of Aqshy.

He had to personally intervene (or rather his country-sized fist)  with both the Steppe Khanate capital city due to the Sky titan barriers and again when the floating continent housing the prismatikon lenses fried his armies.

2 hours ago, Overread said:

As for skirmish I can't see GW pushing that product line until they've cleaned up the listings. Right now would be a bad time to tempt people into a skirmish game with factions like Shadowblades with 2 models to their name with no "future" or s tructure clearly planned out for how players can take that temptation into a full AoS army. 

They can always proxy the few heroes that don't fit into their AoS army if not keep them just as a dedicated Skirmish force.(though i think allies work well for that. Shadowblades into a DoK army seems fine to me)

The hope is a 2.0 will be there to make such small battles more appealing while hopefully promoting uses of models in other small games like a skirmish version of Gorechosen, Warhammer Quest and finally a segway into the upcoming rpg.

On the note of Shadowblades, their mention in the Stormcast battletome raised my eyebrows (im both their appearance and that Sigmar enlisted them to quell the feuds in Azyrheim). I wonder if it's a nod that they might get a DoK  treatment with Malerion's Shadowkin someday?

2 hours ago, RexHavoc said:

I hope that skirmish V2 isn't tied to any part of the main story or current campaign, rather it is it's own self-contained thing. If it's tied in with anything that is being pushed as the current hyped product, then it's going to have a dramatically shorter lifespan.

Yeah and a Skirmish campaign runs the risk of alienating non-skirmish players.

Probably best to treat the campaign as an add-on for scenarios and missions where as Skirmish gets it's own book like the difference between Malign Portents and the Endless Spells.

Connected but still independent from eachother.

Edited by Baron Klatz

On 12/3/2018 at 10:41 AM, Yokai said:

If Slaanesh breaks free next year (which I think is a certain), I am willing to wager a fair amount that it will involve his/her former guardians as well (ie Malerion and Tyrion/Teclis). So, new aelves is pretty much a given.

No way they’re going to blow their load like that. Will be at least another year before any of those things happen. The fallout of Soul Wars hasn’t even been realised yet.