The Rumour Thread

8 hours ago, Nos said:

Always amazing to see ‘Eavy Metal stuff in regular lighting, thought the same at Warhammer World this year.  Obviously it’s still a great paint job but it’s crazy how much more attainable thevstandard appears when you see it outwith the pages of White Dwarf.

I think the key take-away for me is that an Eavy Metal paint job seen from more than 12" away looks indistinguishable from a "really high end" tabletop standard.

The extra effort and skill it takes to produce the models for ultra close-up photography is ... wasted (? that seems too strong a term for it: not needed?) ... when you see them on a tabletop battlefield in real life. 🤪

That makes me feel a lot better about my own work at least! :D 

Edited by WarbossKurgan
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Nos said:

Yes i’ve seen some Golden Demon stuff face to face as it where before and the achievement of texture on a flat surface is always the thing that impresses me most.

I think what I mean though is that then you see it as a mini in its actual scale rather than an inflated photo it makes it more relatable. I feel as though I can see how they’ve accomplished something,  a mastery of techniques that pretty much everyone uses, even if they are executed at a level few people are ever able to accomplish.  It’s like the difference between seeing sport on TV and live. The athleticism and skill seen live is no different to what it is on TV but TV coverage lingers on and maximises the extraordinary to a degree that the naked eye can’t perceive in the flesh which leads to a distortion of expectation and perception.

At Warhammer World they have some  Demon winners from the late 90’s that I used to salivate over. And they are no less impressive in the flesh in a sense, but they’re also just models painted to a very good standard. That demystification experience was very healthy for my own attitude and approach to painting. Anyone who pains is closer than they think to that standard.

Completely agree.  I find that Warhammer World is one of those inspirational places that can really help to enthuse you for doing hobby!  The last year's Demon winners display finishes on Monday and it's quite interesting to see the range of differing skills and compare them to some of those classic 90's models.

Mind you the really scary thing is when you speak to some of the current 'Eavy Metal painters and discover that they paint 8 to 12 hours a day, 7 days a week :o

8 hours ago, AshCrow said:

"Hey, let's make an Order version of the Chaos Warriors!"

"Sure"

"Hey, let's make a Chaos version of the Order version of the Chaos Warriors!"

Why people keep spouting Chaos Stormcasts? They make no sense  because he concept already exists.

Because the first "hey let's" is a model design choice (let's make a thing that looks like this other thing, only re-skinned), and the second one is a lore choice (let's take the lore in this particular direction, and then make a model line out of the resulting story).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kramer said:

Yeah, it makes you wonder if they tweak the photos. Would be perfectly reasonable. I work with some photographers and for other product shoots it’s the norm. 

Shoes and the like are mostly coloured in afterwards. So you get the exact same picture but in all available colours. 

I don't think GW does much tweaking besides just ensuring a good clean shot and lighting. After that its making sure the white balance is right and the photo properly prepared for printing. I don't think they do any recolouring or touchups or such.

One trick I know they have done is that sometimes models aren't glued together for package shots, so that they can use one model and put different arms on it, I think they use bluetack rather than magnets (its a product display rather than game item). There was a case a few years back where the box art for, I think, the plastic wraith knights for Eldar managed to make it all the way through and they didn't have any guns on the models! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, xking said:

don't need Chaos Stormcasts.  Chaos Warriors, Blood warriors, Blight kings are that already.  

also don't need Death  Stormcasts.

I corrected it for you, even while I agree with you!

But everybody can have different opinions, so always speak for yoursel😉

————

i really like the new barbarian models, really dynamic 

Edited by Johann
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Overread said:

I don't think GW does much tweaking besides just ensuring a good clean shot and lighting. After that its making sure the white balance is right and the photo properly prepared for printing. I don't think they do any recolouring or touchups or such.

One trick I know they have done is that sometimes models aren't glued together for package shots, so that they can use one model and put different arms on it, I think they use bluetack rather than magnets (its a product display rather than game item). There was a case a few years back where the box art for, I think, the plastic wraith knights for Eldar managed to make it all the way through and they didn't have any guns on the models! 

If you look at the 360 view for the Valkyrie, you can actually see some bluetack holding the back door on! https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Imperial-Guard-Valkyrie

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Caladancid said:

Here are a couple more angles for the warbands:

20 hours ago, Caladancid said:

Pics from PAX:

What base size are thouse marauders on? They look really big but they could just be 32mm.

On 11/30/2018 at 6:26 PM, amysrevenge said:

Because the first "hey let's" is a model design choice (let's make a thing that looks like this other thing, only re-skinned), and the second one is a lore choice (let's take the lore in this particular direction, and then make a model line out of the resulting story).

The concept of big, superhuman, heavy armoured warriors that serve chaos is already taken. Chaos stormcast don't bring anything new when we could have a chaos warrior that was a stormcast before falling.

2 hours ago, AshCrow said:

What base size are thouse marauders on? They look really big but they could just be 32mm.

The concept of big, superhuman, heavy armoured warriors that serve chaos is already taken. Chaos stormcast don't bring anything new when we could have a chaos warrior that was a stormcast before falling.

They are 32 mm. 

Surprise this week, Wrath and Rapture is not next week! 

In fact next week is a big 40K week with their Chapter Approved (equivalent to Generals Handbook); A big Campaign book; several models once part of larger kits now being released on their own and new models. So its a big 40K week! 

So if Wrath is coming this year its coming out almost right before Christmas! 

Have to be honest has been a great year for AoS 2018, and if half rumours are true 2019 looks equally good (Moonclan, Darkoath, Slaanesh, 1-2 AoS 1.0 new battletomes, maybe new aelves?) but plot wise after the necroquake nothing much. Even the 3 latest novellas: darkoath, scourge privateers and freeguild? Seems a poor choice to advance the world lore, or do they provide any hint about potential development of those armies? Didn’t read the books yet, but they are in my Xmas shopping list...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

Have to be honest has been a great year for AoS 2018, and if half rumours are true 2019 looks equally good (Moonclan, Darkoath, Slaanesh, 1-2 AoS 1.0 new battletomes, maybe new aelves?) but plot wise after the necroquake nothing much. Even the 3 latest novellas: darkoath, scourge privateers and freeguild? Seems a poor choice to advance the world lore, or do they provide any hint about potential development of those armies? Didn’t read the books yet, but they are in my Xmas shopping list...

I've read novella 7 and 8 and let me tell you they are bloody brilliant and you'll have a great Christmas! The age of sigmar short stories are absolutely brilliant at the moment. 

• Like 1