The Rumour Thread

5 hours ago, bsharitt said:

Either you misheard or they misspoke, but they’re doing a campaign for the Wrath and Glory 40k RPG next year. They’ve mentioned it correctly several times when talking about their streaming of RPG games. D&D soon. If they did say Wrath and Rapture, I’m 100% sure Wrath and Glory was meant. 

5 hours ago, Dirtnaps said:

I think you're right, I remember hearing Matt say it in there too but he only said Wrath and Rapture once and it really seemed like he meant to say Wrath and Glory. 

That makes for a short rumour ;) Thanks, its a shame but that makes more sense :) 

1 hour ago, michu said:

For people that loved Malign Portents short stories - there's a chance next AoS event will have them as GW is doing exactly that for 40k.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/11/26/to-kill-a-dark-kinggw-homepage-post-3/

Malign portents was a surprising let down after such a great campaign. Some of those short stories were great and there was some great new art. They never followed up with a physical print of the stories and outcome of the campaign which was such a shame.

I'm always going to be reluctant to buy into another campaign now, knowing that it's pretty much just a stop gap item with no follow up.

Just now, Overread said:

It is a missed trick that BL hasn't published it all in a collected edition, even a single ebook release would be something. 

Yeap, it seems a shame a company that loves to make money (and sometimes makes money on things that most companies would dish out for free or next to nothing!) that when people offer to pay money for a copy of stories they put out for free and they do...nothing.

I mentioned it on their social media when ever a (acceptable!) opportunity arose and noticed that it was a very popular request, with many people asking for the same thing.

I'm into the hobby to get away from being online- Having a natter about the hobby or painting is one thing, but reading stories is something I want a physical copy off. All those stories and art they put out for the campaign would have made for a fantastic campaign book,  a volume two of the malign portents book would have made the whole campaign go from great to fantastic. They already had all the stories and art, and it's not like GW is above reusing old works to make some extra cash! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RexHavoc said:

Malign portents was a surprising let down after such a great campaign. Some of those short stories were great and there was some great new art. They never followed up with a physical print of the stories and outcome of the campaign which was such a shame.

I'm always going to be reluctant to buy into another campaign now, knowing that it's pretty much just a stop gap item with no follow up.

I agree, free stuff is bad and literally after a neat book, new models, free stories,.. total let down... O_O  ffs

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

25 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

I agree, free stuff is bad and literally after a neat book, new models, free stories,.. total let down... O_O  ffs

He said it was a great campaign but the follow up was disappointing.... O_O ffs

;) 

bit seriously all the content during... Amazing. But after that AoS2.0 stole the thunder in such a way it kind of bled out. I’m with @RexHavoc feels like they missed a beat there. (And for reference I read soul wars and most of the fluff after malign portents, so even with all that effort I didn’t find a real continuation of the story)

• Like 1

But didn't Malign Portents lead up to the necroquake... Which kickstarted aos 2.0 and created the AoS world that there is now, with endless magic roaming around?

Thsts how I remember it now at least! I'm pretty certain the last Malign Portents story was the rats invading the pyramid which was literally followed on by Soul Wars.

I don't see how a new edition with a new rulebook, a new story book and the start of endless spells models and the endless spells book could be seen as a let down? 

The only criticism I can see is that the more recent story books haven't followed on directly from Malign Portents/Soul Wars but that's because there's a million different stories to tell throughout the realms - I'm sure there will be a follow up to Soul Wars at some point. 

Edited by Carnelian
  • Like 10

3 hours ago, Popisdead said:

You obviously struggled with reading the whole post.

11 hours ago, RexHavoc said:

Malign portents was a surprising let down after such a great campaign

The campaign was great, but not producing a physical hardcopy of the the stories/art/campaign ending was the let down- Not everyone wants to spend their time reading ebooks or online only stories. For myself, I like to read an actual book. I don't want to spend all my time behind a device.
All that time, money and effort in creating everything they did for it and then...nothing. They dropped it for the new edition which is such a waste of good content.

Soul wars is the next chapter in the timeline of AoS, but the campaign deserved a 2nd books to show off the stories and progression. Would have also bridge the gap in the story line. The work was already done, they just need to get it collected into one volume.

But this is getting right off the rumour track now.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RexHavoc said:

The campaign was great, but not producing a physical hardcopy of the the stories/art/campaign ending was the let down

So we are agreed - Malign Portents was a great campaign (and not a 'let down' as you described it previously) but it's a bit of a missed opportunity that they haven't produced a physical copy collecting the Malign Portents so stories and art together to formally celebrate what a great campaign will it was  (which would indeed have been sweet if they had done this) 

4 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

Hi guys from historical memory the battleforces from the previous year get removed when the new ones come out or they keep all of them until out of stock?

Typically in most stores they keep them until they sell them. Official GW stores may be an exception as they have a strict setup on what models go on their shelves. I know for my FLGS they still have about a dozen Genestealer Cult Battleforce boxes from last year collecting dust. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

Hi guys from historical memory the battleforces from the previous year get removed when the new ones come out or they keep all of them until out of stock?

At least in my case,  the independent retailer store where i buy GW's material had a Kharadron Battleforce until just 2 months ago, so i guess they keep them until they sell them.

• Like 1