The Rumour Thread

17 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

It’s probably off topic from the Rumours thread but the Nighthaunt treatment was probably exaggerated (and I’m talking as a Nighthaunt collector pre-LoN). 

As a GW customer and fan I would rather see expansion on the current armies and the odd new army here and there with maybe less models but more thematic. And “fix” or merge the old world factions that didn’t get love until now.

But most importantly what I would like is to discorporate the “new model only when battletome is updated and cards are printed” system as this way we know many armies will take ages to be updated as they can’t have a mixed release (e.g. a release with single models for different factions). If the card was the problem I would even not mind pay a reasonable price for custom printing for all those not included in the “card pack” or an update pack for all new ones every year.

but I guess it’s more about marketing strategies...

end rant and hoping to see new exciting things for everyone next year! Happy people make happy gaming

You have to think about what the costs of creating new models are, not just the design and manufacturing process. After a sprue is cast that has to be transported to stores and warehouses all over the world. That involves a huge amount of supply chain work Inc customs, fuel, third parties etc. 

People who are collecting an army would love it if new models just occasionally came out, but with the exception of a few examples such as space marines or stormcast it might only be 3 or 4% of your total consumer base interested in a given faction (bone splitters or fyrrslayers for example). 

If you create a whole new launch a lot of your profit is coming from people spending hundreds on buying the whole range for a new army. Consumers aren't likely to spend that money on a whole range because of one new model. 

This is why releasing a codex or tome without new models can be so cost effective as well. A new book which makes an army desirable can sell existing plastic that may already have been sitting in warehouses for a decade. How many WHFB kits for beasts of chaos were sitting unused in sites all over the world? New boxing and art etc is much easier to produce on demand than hefty plastic. 

• Like 1

I understand the point, mine is more wishful thinking. However the costs of production and shipment would be the same. Each week you produce and ship as many models as you are doing today, just for different factions. And you would have smaller purchases from people with already existing factions and limited budget.

But in general I can see GW listens much more to their customers recently and they are turning for the better so I can only wish they will keep listening and improve even more. I have anyway still 2 boxes of Nighthaunt to buy and all Stormcast from the soul wars box to decide what to do, if expand them as an army or keep them as decoration...

I'd be surprised - if just because they do already have a Battletome and there are loads of factions and subfactions without one. Granted some of the older ones do need updating, but at the same time I'd have thought it better for GW to focus on getting factions with nothing out there - at least Battletome factions are known to be safe for the long run (as safe as any army can be); whilst many of the smaller factions with nothing are totally unknown. Even forces like Skaven don't know how they are going to look organisation wise. 

7 minutes ago, Overread said:

I'd be surprised - if just because they do already have a Battletome and there are loads of factions and subfactions without one. Granted some of the older ones do need updating, but at the same time I'd have thought it better for GW to focus on getting factions with nothing out there - at least Battletome factions are known to be safe for the long run (as safe as any army can be); whilst many of the smaller factions with nothing are totally unknown. Even forces like Skaven don't know how they are going to look organisation wise. 

I totaly understand your opinion and I would have thought as you do normally.

But this rumourmonger has been always spot on for a year now, so I tend to trust him. I guess we'll see if it was true in about a month and a half ;)

Edited by Ghark

Aye  and Ive no issue with Fyreslayers getting updated and new stuff, I just feel that AoS really should get itself to a point where every viable faction that is going to stay has a Battletome or a combined Battletome. Right now I feel like over half the range is sitting there in a confusing state to many and it confuses those new to the game trying to work out what army to get when some have their rules spread all over the place and no certain future at all 

11 minutes ago, Overread said:

Aye  and Ive no issue with Fyreslayers getting updated and new stuff, I just feel that AoS really should get itself to a point where every viable faction that is going to stay has a Battletome or a combined Battletome. Right now I feel like over half the range is sitting there in a confusing state to many and it confuses those new to the game trying to work out what army to get when some have their rules spread all over the place and no certain future at all  

Yup and it's been in this state for quite some time now, your feeling is shared mate ;)

I guess that really old BT (pre sylvaneth IMHO) deserve and update too since they are clearly designed with the old pattern. But the beastmen release gave me hope for factions without a BT yet, AoS V2 is still young, I hope that the future is bright for "old" factions.

3 hours ago, Overread said:

It not that suprising considering that GW have historically release new books for existing army every time a new edition hits. I think they have a more vested interests in those Older AoS battletome  armies like Fyreslayer, Ironjawz, and sylventh in expanding and updating them since they made those range with AoS in mind.

granted currently it does feel like an outlier right now since this is the first edition change for AoS and the only army to have gotten a new battletome update has been Stormcast

27 minutes ago, novakai said:

It not that suprising considering that GW have historically release new books for existing army every time a new edition hits. I think they have a more vested interests in those Older AoS battletome  armies like Fyreslayer, Ironjawz, and sylventh in expanding and updating them since they made those range with AoS in mind.

granted currently it does feel like an outlier right now since this is the first edition change for AoS and the only army to have gotten a new battletome update has been Stormcast

I think it does make more sense for GW to update some of the less good older battle tomes for new armies like Fyreslayers or Ironjawz, especially if those armies aren't selling well. They've probably already gotten their return on invest from an old army like Skaven, but they want to squeeze more out of an army like Fyreslayers. 

30 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

I think it does make more sense for GW to update some of the less good older battle tomes for new armies like Fyreslayers or Ironjawz, especially if those armies aren't selling well. They've probably already gotten their return on invest from an old army like Skaven, but they want to squeeze more out of an army like Fyreslayers. 

Wait did somebody say skaven,??

I’m all ears 

While personally I would like to see something new in November for AoS (barring the few new Slaanesh demon models), I would be happy with an update to Fyreslayers or Ironjawz.  Somewhat recently I assembled Ironskull's Boyz and also converted a couple Brutes into Black Orcs for Blood Bowl, and while doing so I was thinking "You know, the Ironjawz have a really great range, if only they had a bit more variety in their book I would start an army." Seriously, I would almost certainly pick up Ironjawz if got one more dual kit and maybe another large kit for a total of three more unit option. The problem with some of those earlier Battletomes is they really don't have enough unit options to give much variety in putting the army together. With exception to the Unique Character and Ironskullz Boyz, Ironjawz have a grand total of 3 units and 4 characters (one of which is just a mounted version of one of the other three heroes). Fyreslayers aren't much better, with a few more heroes, but only three units.

In short, I think some of the earlier tomes and their associated armies would sell better with a more complete army like Nighthaunt/Deepkin have. Even changing their allied point allowance from certain factions could make them sell a bit better I think.

• Like 6

On the topic of potential upcoming Destruction battletomes:

- my only wish is that, whether it be through their own battletome our a 'soup' one, Moonclan grots have access to Trolls. I like big(ger) units in my army, and the 400pts of allies can be somewhat restrictive. Whatever happens, I'll be running the FW TRoll Hag I've just bought with Moonclan,but I sure would like it if I could get to play with cooler allegiance abilities and artefacts...

- I do not know much about Bonesplittaz, apart from the fact that they like to hunt big monsters and theat they already have a (older generation) battletome. Having said that, visually they are pretty similar to Spiderfang Grots - naked greenskins with a jungle-type look and a love of feathers. Combining both, an elegant solution to a)  give a proper home to Spiderfang and b) expand a bit the range of the Bonesplittaz and give them some mobile and larger units? Just saying...

• Like 3

That's a pretty good idea. They've shown us that the same warscroll can go into multiple battletomes. (Tzaangor), so maybe Spiderfang can fit into ain insect/fungus focused moonclan and also fit into an updated Bonesplittaz, and then even a soup tome but I think if we take care of Moonclan and Spiderfang, there is no need for soup tome. RIP greenskinz and gitmobs.

Guys, we have a wishlisting thread.

Please don't post anything else in here not regarding to rumours.

Either have one or contribute to an existing one. And by contributing i don't mean own thoughts or wishes.

There is no problem with this thread bumped back to page 3 if we don't have anything rumour related.

Edited by Kurrilino
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, Kurrilino said:

Guys, we have a wishlisting thread.

Please don't post anything else in here not regarding to rumours.

Either have one or contribute to an existing one. And by contributing i don't mean own thoughts or wishes

While I agree that we should try keep to rumours as much as possible, it's more difficult to set apart rumour and wish listing than one would think. For example, in the case of Fyreslayers, the general consensus is that they lack unit variety. A rumour crops up saying that there'll be more FS stuff. It would be logical to assume that this rumoured release would help fix this problem - at what point does assuming that FS unit variety will be increased cross from discussing the rumour to wishlisting? 

Another example would be the Keeper of Secrets. Is it wishlisting to assume there will be a new one released with the Slaanesh stuff? Is it only rumoured because it's logical to assume we will get a plastic one? 

While saying "I'm really hoping they release more Devoted of Sigmar" is pure wishlisting, I'm not so sure taking logical guesses at what may be in a rumoured release is wishlisting. 

I've seen quite a few concerns over the thread about some topics going off course, and I believe there's some uncertainty in what this thread is meant for. There are obvious functions, but questions on how far one should discuss rumours are more difficult to make out. In addition, not being allowed to post leaked images stops a lot of rumours being properly discussed.  

• Like 9

47 minutes ago, Enoby said:

While I agree that we should try keep to rumours as much as possible, it's more difficult to set apart rumour and wish listing than one would think. For example, in the case of Fyreslayers, the general consensus is that they lack unit variety. A rumour crops up saying that there'll be more FS stuff. It would be logical to assume that this rumoured release would help fix this problem - at what point does assuming that FS unit variety will be increased cross from discussing the rumour to wishlisting? 

Another example would be the Keeper of Secrets. Is it wishlisting to assume there will be a new one released with the Slaanesh stuff? Is it only rumoured because it's logical to assume we will get a plastic one? 

While saying "I'm really hoping they release more Devoted of Sigmar" is pure wishlisting, I'm not so sure taking logical guesses at what may be in a rumoured release is wishlisting. 

I've seen quite a few concerns over the thread about some topics going off course, and I believe there's some uncertainty in what this thread is meant for. There are obvious functions, but questions on how far one should discuss rumours are more difficult to make out. In addition, not being allowed to post leaked images stops a lot of rumours being properly discussed.  

Everything that starts with:

-i assume

-i think

-they should

-maybe...... is wishlisting and has no substance.

From my humble point it's very easy to do rumours without wishlisting. As long as it is not related to a source it is not a rumour. It's that easy.

Something like leaked pictures or leaked texts or spruce like we had is a source of rumours.

Having the general consensus that Fireslayer lack variety is in no way a rumour. It will just derail the thread for other people to chip in with

what their army lacks.

• Like 3

Legends say that every few pages, a hero will ask for rumours only please.

If that request were to be granted, the world would become a gray, lifeless place..

(Make it a drinking game ;)

Heads up; Seems like the two new Shadespire warbands have been put up on the app :)

Edited by Mayple
  • Like 3
  • Haha 14

1 hour ago, Kurrilino said:

Everything that starts with:

-i assume

-i think

-they should

-maybe...... is wishlisting and has no substance.

From my humble point it's very easy to do rumours without wishlisting. As long as it is not related to a source it is not a rumour. It's that easy.

Something like leaked pictures or leaked texts or spruce like we had is a source of rumours.

Having the general consensus that Fireslayer lack variety is in no way a rumour. It will just derail the thread for other people to chip in with

what their army lacks.

Leaked pictures of models and sprues aren't really rumors though, they are pretty much confirmation barring excellent photoshop work or 3rd party manufacturers people are claiming are GW . There maybe rumors surround those elements (for example, people may speculate Slaanesh is coming out next because of the fiend sprue sighting).

Currently there is a rumor that Fyreslayers are getting an update in November, people are discussing those rumors and whether or not they have validity based on GWs past history, speculation, etc. I think that's fair use of a rumor thread. Speculation on rumors is part of why they are rumors, GW even puts out incomplete pictures of models every Tuesday to give the community something to speculate on.

Wishlisting is entirely different (and often baseless speculation). That would be me jumping into the thread and saying "Soulblight Vampires really need an infantry unit to be viable." Which has no base and therefore would not belong in a rumor thread.

I'm not trying to be finicky, but I think you are coming down a bit hard on people for discussing rumors, which is what the thread is for.

• Like 11

Whilst I do agree that some people are wishlisting at times sentences beginning with 'i think' are pretty par for the course when discussing unsubstantiated hearsay ie. A rumour.

As Sabotage! mentioned, leaked pictures etc arent rumours but rather...well, leaks.

At the end of the day a rumour is merely unconfirmed hearsay, and whilst people like LLV have proven reliable, at the end of the day all we have to go on trusting them is their accuracy so far.  If we'd shut him down back when he first started because there was no evidence we'd have no trusted sources and thus I think it's important to allow some degree of free discussion where people throw in what they've heard (which at the end of the day, are often just things their friends thought are going to happen).

• Like 2