The Rumour Thread

23 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Not completely aos news but Nightvault is up for preorder on September 22nd with a release on the 29th.

I wonder if they will have info about all 8 warbands in the rulebook again.972434-.jpeg.bd747fb03bec6d0406de107227625d35.jpeg

Oh I really hope the warbands will be in the booklet. The wait for that information is killing me.

3 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

I was looking at the pre order page of GW that is online just few minutes ago, and at my great surprise, I've seen the GROT SCRAPLAUNCHER!

Thanks for sharing this - the pre-order Ogors are a a repack on to rounds! Great news for me as I collect Ogors. We may not be getting a battle tome but it is nice to see the Gutbusters getting a little love.

2 hours ago, Chikout said:

Not completely aos news but Nightvault is up for preorder on September 22nd with a release on the 29th.

I wonder if they will have info about all 8 warbands in the rulebook again.972434-.jpeg.bd747fb03bec6d0406de107227625d35.jpeg

I've never preordered a GW product. Are there any incentives or bonuses for doing so?

Not that I need any, I'm just curious why one would preorder product.

34 minutes ago, Mr. White said:

I've never preordered a GW product. Are there any incentives or bonuses for doing so?

Not that I need any, I'm just curious why one would preorder product.

There’s not really any reason to preorder directly. I preorder from other retailers so I generally get it on release day without having to leave my house. 

• Like 1

In rare occasions GW will release:

1) A limited edition of a product - eg a signed book, special hardback binding, different cover etc..

2) A limited bonus item - eg the early orders of Adepticus Titanicus got a metal coin. 

3) A product of limited quantities - again the big boxed set for Adepticus Titanicus

Those are all good reasons to pre-order direct from GW or to pre-order early from your local retailer (baring in mind many promotional items/orders only work if ordered direct through GW itself.

Otherwise reasons to order can be just to have something on or very near to the launch day and to not have to wait longer. Generally speaking GW pre-orders are pretty safe. You know their general quality, their overall product style and production values etc... So its often very low risk. Very unlike, say, computer games where even quality companies can put out a lemon of a game at launch. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Swooper said:

Are GW books normally priced differently by language? I was looking at the EU preorder page, and the BoC battletome is 32.50€ in English, 25€ in German and French, and 20€ in Italian and Spanish.

They are different, in no-eng books lore is absent or cut to the 20% and its not hardback

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mr. White said:

Are there any incentives or bonuses for doing so?

There can be, as @Overreadmentioned. For me, the "bonus" is that I want the English versions of stuff (my German's nowhere near good enough to want any books not in English), so if I want anything on release day, which I often do because I am in essence an impatient child who has not yet encountered the word, 'patience', I have to pre-order. Wouldn't be as much trouble if I lived in the capital, but there you go.

4 hours ago, Swooper said:

Are GW books normally priced differently by language? I was looking at the EU preorder page, and the BoC battletome is 32.50€ in English, 25€ in German and French, and 20€ in Italian and Spanish.

German and French versions are softcover, English is Hardcover, Italien and Spanish only provide rules, fluff is cut out

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, michu said:

Then why they are doing that only for that versions? German and French still have lore.

Just speculation as someone based in Spain, but I think AoS (and GW products in general) probably sell less than in Germany or France. Thus, the company might consider it not so worth to invest in full and decent translations. Before, their translations were great quality and complete. So a business move is most likely the reason. 

This has been a current trend since the end of 8th (I think) and very palpable when the ET or AoS launched. The translation quality is just really bad. This also applies to other GW products like 40k. The introduction of Spanglish (using keywords, names, etc.. in English instead of Spanish) pushed this further on, and now translated books are an utter unreadable mess. The quality is really amateurish and dissapointing for a company that is suppose to be the best in the market. At least, people are taking into their own hands the translations with wikis and stuff, since GW doesn't bother. I stopped buying non-English GW books a long time ago. Certainly does not help to increase sales and just keep things as they are (unfortunately).

• Like 2

It might be that GW lost a contract with a good translation company and has yet to find a suitable replacement. Plus with many customers shopping in English it might be that its an issue that has not unified the overseas market into making enough noise about for GW to pay attention to it.

It's a great shame, one would indeed expect GW to at least have good translations and it was a surprise to me to learn that the overseas translations don't include the lore and fluff (since that is such a huge part of selling Warhammer armies)

Come on guys, think wider: GW is a hobby company.  2 words: Hobby and Company.

As in hobby,  it is locked to culture and....weather. The hobby is succesfull where you have (forced) time at home, essentially due to the weather conditions.

As in Company, think about the market place: according to the above AND the fact that there are way less money per family and way less players, will they sell many battletome?  is it interesting to invest in a FULL tome translation? Where to cut the tome cost? Answer: make more margin, sell less paper, cut the cost i.e. cut the translation part.  Italian+spain GDP is less that French one or UK one and far less German one.

Done.

• Thanks 1