The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, Domowoj said:

This Beasts of Chaos thing is bad. It's very bad.

I had about come-to-terms with letting a bunch of my old minis go...but now I have to rekindle and finish my Khorne-based Warherd.

Chaos Allegiance with a Followers of The Brass Bull (Taurox!) battalion. Lots of minotaurs supported by slaughterpriests and bloodstokers.

Yeah, this is bad.

I don’t think you can do that, Battallions need the appropriate keyword to be used in an allegiance. Otherwise they’ll be allies.

30 minutes ago, Nevvermore said:

I don’t think you can do that, Battallions need the appropriate keyword to be used in an allegiance. Otherwise they’ll be allies.

I can do that.

Here is a quote from the Core Rules' Designers' Commentary:

Untitled.png.5b79e8388d9eeb167a85c81072d9b6dd.png

So if I run a Chaos Allegiance army, I can run any battalion from any chaos subfaction.

Edited by Domowoj

1 hour ago, Domowoj said:

I can do that.

Here is a quote from the Core Rules' Designers' Commentary:

Untitled.png.5b79e8388d9eeb167a85c81072d9b6dd.png

So if I run a Chaos Allegiance army, I can run any battalion from any chaos subfaction.

So if I have a Nurgle Army, and I take whatever warscroll battalion gives BoC the mark of Nurgle and lets say the battalion costs 120 points and the units to make it cose 440 points. So would the 120 points that the costs count against my allies points, but now all these Nurgle marked beasts are now Nurgle allegiance too, so they don't count for allies?

1 minute ago, bsharitt said:

So if I have a Nurgle Army, and I take whatever warscroll battalion gives BoC the mark of Nurgle and lets say the battalion costs 120 points and the units to make it cose 440 points. So would the 120 points that the costs count against my allies points, but now all these Nurgle marked beasts are now Nurgle allegiance too, so they don't count for allies?

The nurgle-marked BoC units in this battalion would NOT be Nurgle Allegiance. They would belong to the allegiance listed at the top of the warscroll battalion. Therefore, the cost of the battalion and the units within would be allies in this example. However, I have heard a rumor that these chaos-marked battalions in the BoC book may behave differently than normal...

12 minutes ago, Domowoj said:

The nurgle-marked BoC units in this battalion would NOT be Nurgle Allegiance. They would belong to the allegiance listed at the top of the warscroll battalion. Therefore, the cost of the battalion and the units within would be allies in this example. However, I have heard a rumor that these chaos-marked battalions in the BoC book may behave differently than normal...

Per the rules of the Nurgle book(I don't know how the other Chaos books are written), they would have the Nurgle allegiance when they gain the Nurgle keyword. They would still belong the the allegiance of the warscroll, but they would definitely be Nurgle too.

I know what the Nurgle book says but the core rules, which are a more recent publication,  supercede in this scenario (unfortunately.) I am also a Nurgley-guy, so I feel your pain. This change in rules is what prevents us from using the Plaguetouched Warband in a Nurgle Allegiance list.

3 minutes ago, Domowoj said:

I know what the Nurgle book says but the core rules, which are a more recent publication,  supercede in this scenario (unfortunately.) I am also a Nurgley-guy, so I feel your pain. This change in rules is what prevents us from using the Plaguetouched Warband in a Nurgle Allegiance list.

But that's the thing, the core rules don't address having units of your allegiance in an allied battalion. You can include allies in a battalion and they count as allies, but once marked they're not allies. Nothing currently RAW would seem to preclude it, but I'm guessing they'll probably have a day one designers commentary to clear it up(if they don't explain it in the book).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

But that's the thing, the core rules don't address having units of your allegiance in an allied battalion. You can include allies in a battalion and they count as allies, but once marked they're not allies. Nothing currently RAW would seem to preclude it, but I'm guessing they'll probably have a day one designers commentary to clear it up(if they don't explain it in the book).

I wish you were right about this, but this has topic has been discussed ad nauseum already. Go up and carefully read the Answer section from the above FAQ quote again. Pay close attention especially to the first (skip the "Yes.") and last sentences of the Answer. This designers' commentary on the Core Rules counts as part of the Core Rules.

The best we can hope for is that these battalions DO behave differently than normal (as has been hinted at).

43 minutes ago, Infernalslayer said:

That teasing with the "Gift of Morghur" ability..

Boy what would i give for a huge "ascended" Morghur plastic kit , greater daemon style!!

There is also the fact that the group that gets it is called the Gavespawn.

And Morghur's title is "The Shadowgave."

Anyway really happy to see Beasts all merged back into one faction.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Enoby said:

Not ultra conclusive, but Rhu has said that they can be taken in the god armies. This does suggest that they'll not be allies, but doesn't confirm.

Screenshot_20180911-201120_Facebook.jpg

Just like to point out that this is completely true for the Plague Sworn Warband too. The only thing stopping you is that they don't fit into a 2000pt game most people seem to be thinking about. Rhu's answer could be true regardless of how practical it is in real life to use.

For now I think it's best that people don't get too excited and wait and see the actual wording. Thankfully there isn't much time left now :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Yoshiya said:

For now I think it's best that people don't get too excited and wait and see the actual wording. Thankfully there isn't much time left now :)

Completely agree - we've only been given snippets of rules so far so it's not possible to ascertain what we can and can't do yet.  Regardless Chaos Marked Beastmen are going to be amazing!

I'm pretty sure that the Nurgle book is one of the "white spine" books which were "written to work with 2nd edition"*. Thus it likely was written with the philosophy of providing exceptions to the core rules, rather than setting out rulings that 2e core would then errata.

* I.e. they likely wrote it after the new core rules, even though it was published before, while 2e was still being playtested. I'm pretty sure that we can pin down when the 2e rules were in development as being that big gap between the last turquoise spine book coming out, and the first white spine one. I seem to recall it was a few months at least?

4 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

I'm pretty sure that the Nurgle book is one of the "white spine" books which were "written to work with 2nd edition"*. Thus it likely was written with the philosophy of providing exceptions to the core rules, rather than setting out rulings that 2e core would then errata.

* I.e. they likely wrote it after the new core rules, even though it was published before, while 2e was still being playtested. I'm pretty sure that we can pin down when the 2e rules were in development as being that big gap between the last turquoise spine book coming out, and the first white spine one. I seem to recall it was a few months at least?

The rules team started the new edition in earnest about 12~18 months before it came out - it was being thought about pretty much when AoS launched though.  I'm pretty sure they'll be thinking about the next edition now too.

7 minutes ago, Amun_Ra said:

My reading is that it would affect us Nighthaunt? Minus one to rolls rather than a rend effect

Nah, here's the rules text for Ethereal: "Ignore modifiers (positive or negative) when making save rolls for attacks that target this model" and the rules for the Herdstone: "Subtract 1 from save rolls for attacks..." and Rend: "For example, if a weapon has a -1 Rend characteristic, then 1 is subtracted from the save roll."

Spooky bois are safe! ?

Edited by relic456
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, relic456 said:

Nah, here's the rules text for Ethereal: "Ignore modifiers (positive or negative) when making save rolls for attacks that target this model" and the rules for the Herdstone: "Subtract 1 from save rolls for attacks..." and Rend: "For example, if a weapon has a -1 Rend characteristic, then 1 is subtracted from the save roll."

Spooky bois are safe! ?

OK cheers. Good news.