The Rumour Thread

30 minutes ago, Nos said:

RE: the constant "Destruction never get anything" clamour, I don't get it. If you have an Ironjawz army I doubt 400 points of new grots or their rules are going to revolutionise your experience. If you want a new army, pick one of the many available rather than wait impatiently for one that you might not even like anyway. I fail to see how them belonging to a wider faction means anything.

I think it is also a lot about the themes of an army or a grand alliance. 

I think a lot Destruction players (myself included) have an interest in miniatures which are designed the way Destruction is designed.

The armies of Destruction contain a lot of natural themes, beasts, hairy monsters and tribal imagery, which you won't get in any other alliance. So I think many Destruction players want armies and models which fit the "Destruction theme". 

Our problem can't be solved by simply choosing another army which gets supported more, simply because there is no army, which fits the theme that we want from an army. You won't get this with any other army. You may get monsters with other armies, but not of the same kind and theme like Destruction. 

For most of us Destruction players the other allegiances don't have what we want. Destruction caters to a special need for a special kind of players theme-wise.

I mean why do you play the army that you play and not any other army? Something must also have drawn you to this kind of army. It is the same way for Destruction players.

Also if we would have more options to choose from I think many of us wouldn't consider themselves as "Detruction" players. But the only "fleshed out" armies with battletomes that we have are Bonesplittaz, Ironjawz and Beastclaw. 

Alsoooo before Destruction it was all the Death players who complained about not getting anything. At this time most of us Destruction players were quiet even though we also didn't get anything, because the Death players got it worse. And see what they got after all their complaining! ?  A giant wave of releases. So there is also a little bit of hope that we might get something if we complain hard enough. ? 

Edited by Infeston
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, Nos said:

RE: the constant "Destruction never get anything" clamour, I don't get it. If you have an Ironjawz army I doubt 400 points of new grots or their rules are going to revolutionise your experience. If you want a new army, pick one of the many available rather than wait impatiently for one that you might not even like anyway. I fail to see how them belonging to a wider faction means anything.

I own and play complete armys of Stormcast (not new chamber), Sylvaneth and Idoneth as my new main army. Plus 1k of kharadron, 1'5k Death, more than 1k with Wood Elves/Wanderers, and a 1k Ironjawz army. I don't really care if GW delete Destruction Faction but I feel sad about orc, goblins and troll lovers, and there's a lot of people who love those armys. When I was 14 and started the hobby on 90's I remember orcs where, as same as chaos, a very popular army and fun to play with the grot things... I've never been an orc guy but when I see an army picture of orcs or goblins they always put a smile on my face and I see them like a nice army.

Say that and because I see a friend that has ironjawz and BCR so bored of not getting anything that has going buy death but continues playing Destruction because he is an orc guy, I feel sad about that Faction of not getting anything. Of course we could play other armys, of course we could go play and collect other games too, but a fan of games workshop because of childhood, nostalgia or whatever will always have that piece of heart thinking of "his" army... and thats because that popular "destructions doesn't get anything" is said too much, is not an angry sentence complaining about other armys and that, is just a broken heart bleading and crying alone on a dark forest on midnight because has lost his love and feels lonely

• Like 2

Well, it is now clear that GW is fishing.

Fishing new games and systems around miniatures and how to play them. GW is spreading out dangerously in many  ways, with different systems (around the same miniatures) and different games (around new miniatures and/or scales). That doesn't reassure me on the shedule of new factions for both 40k and AoS. Add to this, that they have some serious production issues and many "refresh this or that" (read: rebox but not re-create) that needed serious redo.

I hope that they now stop the "lets do more game race" now and focus on their core job (miniatures creation) around their core games (AoS and 40K)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, GeneralZero said:

Fishing new games and systems around miniatures and how to play them. GW is spreading out dangerously in many  ways, with different systems (around the same miniatures) and different games (around new miniatures and/or scales). That doesn't reassure me on the shedule of new factions for both 40k and AoS. Add to this, that they have some serious production issues and many "refresh this or that" (read: rebox but not re-create) that needed serious redo.

I hope that they now stop the "lets do more game race" now and focus on their core job (miniatures creation) around their core games (AoS and 40K)

on the production issue part, they said in Nova that it should be resolved soon after this year and they can crank up more models in the beginning of 2019

2 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Fishing?  you realise GW is doing better at the moment than they ever have and have whole departments who look at where gaming is going and where they can make money.  

"refresh this or that"  = count yourself lucky they keep the range supported and dont just cut it entirely, the amount of players they would alienate would be far less than what they would get back investing into new things.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Hoseman said:

Say that and because I see a friend that has ironjawz and BCR so bored of not getting anything that has going buy death but continues playing Destruction because he is an orc guy, I feel sad about that Faction of not getting anything.

This speaks to me on many levels. I also bought some new Stormcast, Nighthaunt and Idoneth models as they came out, because they got new releases and I also like some of the themes. But nothing got me more excited than painting the new Fungoid-Cave Shaman as it came out. 

I sometimes struggle to paint the new Stormcast, Nighthaunt and Idoneth miniatures. I still like the miniatures of those factions, but nothing gets me happier as a Destruction release. I painted the cave shaman faster than any other miniature before, because I sat down every day to paint it a little bit and I enjoyed it a lot more than painting the miniatures from other factions. I was happy to get back from work or woke up early to start painting this miniature again, because I liked the model so much. It is this way for other Destruction models as well. 

It is like you said. Some people are "Orc guys" (or Ogor or Grot or Troggoth guys) and we love those factions from the deepest depths of our hearts (too cheezy for someone who plays Destruction?). I mean I was an Ogor guy before, but I am still happy if we get new Grots, because I also really like the fungus theme. 

And the moment I saw the new troggoth picture I already imagined all the different ways I could paint it and how much fun I would have painting it.

I could still collect and paint other armies, but it wouldn't be the same way as painting something Destruction related. I myself am very passionate about Destruction and there is no other alliance or army who could fill  in the void if Destruction would be removed.

Edited by Infeston
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As someone lured back into the 'hobby' this year after nearly 30 years out I'd say GW's current strategy of smaller games that feed into the larger flagship ones to be great. I'd only intended to get Shadespire, just to have a go painting some models again and getting the feel for it all and I ended up getting the full Soul Wars box.

If I hadn't got that I'd almost certainly have bought Kill Team too when that came out (and very probably still will in some form) as I love the idea of just building up a few small teams, and getting to do several different factions without having to spend hundreds of pounds and a similar amount of hours getting just one full army ready.

Pretty sure that if/when I do start a couple of Kill Team forces there will come a point when I start looking with avaricious eyes at more 40K models and one of those Kill Teams becomes the basis for a proper army.

Likewise introducing the new Ork Speed Freaks game. If it was just the models for the normal 40k game, I'd have checked them out and appreciated them but that would have been it. As it is I can easily see myself tempted to drop a few sheets on that because they could be fun to model, paint and then play on its own (I always was a huge fan or the original Dark Future game so interested in this), which of course is another gateway into the full game.

• Like 1

Orcs and Goblins were my first love and I really wish a trad Orcs and Gobbos army was viable because I think across the range most of the models are still tremendous. 

But from over three years of AOS release now it's overwhelmingly obvious that pan-cultural forces are not what GW are about with the system. They are releasing armies with a tight, unique aesthetic and half a dozen troop types with about the same again in heroes. AOS armies are basically God personalities made manifest, the rule book for AOS 2.0 made that abundantly clear.

So with the Greenskin fold, there's not much to be done for Ironjawz and Bonesplitterz to bring them up to release code to be honest. Rules wise they might need a tweak but they're not going to get a release for that. Bring Moonclan in which is obviously going to happen soon and you have the core GW greenskin personalties-Night Goblins, Black Orcs, Savage Orcs-all represented.  The one that's missing is basically your usual "Fantasy" orcs currently titled Green Skinz but I doubt you'll get that for IP reasons. Which is a shame because I love that aesthetic. But it's very much old Warhammer. 

I don't really get what it is you think you're missing? Destruction are very much the dumb fun smash stuff faction in the lore. They're there to be fun but in a heavily narrative driven product they just arent going to drive the plot the way Chaos and Undead do. Which to be fair has basically been the case since the early 90's anyway, Grimgor was really the only mover and shaker in Warhammers ongoing timeline and even then he was just on a crusade to fight everything. Not least because writing interesting personalities for creatures that just want to smash stuff is extraordinarily difficult. All the other Orc personalities were basically the same. They lead big Waaaghs, nearly toppled the Empire, or the Dwarf Realms, but didn't quite. They lacked an existential desire to be the best fighter in the world like Grimgor I guess.

But they're a very a thoughtless faction. They just do. And that's not good for driving fiction. Nagash's machinations,  it's easy to see how they create intrigue and plot points to release events and products to . Gorkamorka really really really wanting to bash stuff, not so much. Maybe you'll get a Nagash like tome that allows you to cross code the Greenskinz personalities to greater effect, but again, aside from that, what's missing? 

Edited by Nos

Well, good event, but for me, they didn't give anything for my army or my wargame.

I still have hope for KO (Nightvault warband or just a new codex), but I will start a new army soon (yeah, I want to play and not get bored!!). Maybe Moonclan (miniatures and rules) or maybe Beasts of Chaos (rules, the minis and lore are awesome) can be what I'm looking for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Overread said:

I think the GW nova article said that there is still more to come. That might just be more details on things that we already know about rather than any more big reveals. 

I get the impression they mean more coverage but Death Guard were a last minute preview at Adepticon 2017 so anything is possible. Here’s hoping.

I'm hoping that new moonclan somehow affects the existing spiderfang line. It seems as though moonclan is going more towards mushroom inebriated grots with insect and squig buddies as opposed to cult of the bad moon type of feel. I hope a battletome rolls spiderfang into that as well because I have 60-70 spiders and several arachnarok I bought on a whim. 

• Like 1

So I think we've got all the '18 releases for AoS. Who' s got the short stroke for a Battleforce box? 2 last years it was 4 boxes per universe but this year we had 5 big factions releases:

1. Nurgle

2. DoK

3. Idoneth 

4. SCE again and again

5. Nighthaunt 

Unless they increase number of boxes I guess DoK are out as it was the smallest release of them all. 

9 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

There are 3 times the Slaanesh players locally than Moonclan.  So yes?

Goblin/Grot armies have always been fun but they were never competitive due to their randomness. That plus the number of models required and I would imagine your local example is repeated across the player base in general.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Enoby said:

No offense to Moonclan, but I am more excited for Slaanesh to get a release. Not just because I like the faction more, but also because it's much more likely to advance the lore in a very big way.

That said, Moonclan (and just Destruction in general) probably needs a release more.

I've been playing Night Goblins for almost 25 years now and they have never had their own book.  I am patient enough to wait a bit longer if they are indeed getting their own full book.

• Like 2