The Rumour Thread

They’re in White Dwarf which is written what? 3 months in advance? So the paintjob is not a rush job due to the leak. They just don’t seem to be doing as much work on the endless spells. You can see some mould lines on the Purple Sun too.

Those gaps do look pretty big though.

Edited by ManlyMuppet88
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, ManlyMuppet88 said:

They’re in White Dwarf which is written what? 3 months in advance? So the paintjob is not a rush job due to the leak. They just don’t seem to be doing as much work on the endless spells. You can see some mould lines on the Purple Sun too.

Those gaps do look pretty big though.

Yeah, probably around 3 months for planning, but the finalised copy will only go out the door for printing to meet the shipping schedule (assuming GWs magazine staff works the same way as the publishers I've worked with in the past that is ?) True otherwise though; those models would have had to have been painted at least a fortnight ago...

But they have obviously been rushed regardless. Why the push, i wonder? ?

Edited by Waiyuren
Realised i sounded snooty...

These models done by 'eavy metal aren't the final plastic models though. They are "grown resin" models (think 3D-printed) that require a lot of work by the team like filing and gap filling. They are also done years in advance of release. 

I was able to have a nice chat with the eavy metal team in Dusseldorf and got some hands on time with the original black coach model. They actually used some blue tac  to keep parts of it together too... :D Doesn't matter, as they are just used for a photo shoot, not for any gaming. 

Somebody did drop the ball hard on that one though. I can imagine this particular model would be a nightmare if it was made from grown resin however. 

Edited by Elmir
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Elmir said:

These models done by 'eavy metal aren't the final plastic models though. They are "grown resin" models (think 3D-printed) that require a lot of work by the team like filing and gap filling. They are also done years in advance of release. 

I was able to have a nice chat with the eavy metal team in Dusseldorf and got some hands on time with the original black coach model. They actually used some blue tac  to keep parts of it together too... :D Doesn't matter, as they are just used for a photo shoot, not for any gaming. 

Somebody did drop the ball hard on that one though. I can imagine this particular model would be a nightmare if it was made from grown resin however. 

Blu tack?! ?

I should've guessed they'd use some sort of "aid"; the best food pictures where always of frozen, painted items, or straight up plastic back in the day. ?

Edited by Waiyuren

1 minute ago, Waiyuren said:

Blu tack?! ?

I should've guessed; the best food pictures where always of frozen, painted items, or straight up plastic back in the day. ?

Yeah, the top of the black coach model can be taken off to showcase the coffin inside (that can be opened as well, although this was just using gravity. 

But yeah, 'eavy metal never paints plastic models... Those molds aren't done yet when they need to be painted (for box art, battletomes etc), so they make them out of grown resin. Makes sense really, but they are never the end product and don't tend to fit as seamlessly as the plastic end products. 

Also, when those resin models are made, most of the staff gets to have a look at them as well... That's why a lot of leaks have these "vague descriptions" like chtulu elves for instance. The whole production process takes YEARS, so you are fooling yourself if you think any of it is done i a rushed way. In fact, Jes Goodwin had a right laugh when I asked him honestly if plastic sisters were really coming because of public demand... It's been in the works for way longer than that, the marketing can just capitalize on the meme now. 

BTW, I'm not sure if you are following any of the twitch stream stuff, but think about what the community members are currently collecting.

Ceri --> happens to have a fondness of nighthaunt, painting up a lot of them, and  a nighthaunt battletome came recently.
Rhu --> big fan of Brayherds, making a big army of them,  just around the time that battletome is getting dropped. 
Diarmuid --> currently expanding his big grot army, almost suspiciously close to a rumoured grot battletome release. 

These people have all seen those 3D prints well in advance, but can't give anything away because of GW marketting reasons. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Waiyuren said:

But they have obviously been rushed regardless. Why the push, i wonder? ?

Good question.  It seems to be a bit of a thing with the Malign Sorcery stuff, as Kirjava13 said, they highlighted the mouldline on the hourglass.....

Hopefully it’s because they had a big pile of other, even cooler, stuff to get to.

9 minutes ago, Elmir said:

Ceri --> happens to have a fondness of nighthaunt, painting up a lot of them, and  a nighthaunt battletome came recently.
Rhu --> big fan of Brayherds, making a big army of them,  just around the time that battletome is getting dropped. 
Diarmuid --> currently expanding his big grot army, almost suspiciously close to a rumoured grot battletome release. 

These people have all seen those 3D prints well in advance, but can't give anything away because of GW marketting reasons. 

That's so true! And it makes perfect sense. So much in fact, that it should be clear to see. =D

40 minutes ago, Hoseman said:

I have 2380 points of idoneth with 12 eels (6 and 6) and I find on 2k battles a place for namarti but my army is focused on animals and they play veeeery well. The king can spam 3 times their command on turn 3. The turtle sinergis with everything giving cover and the shark charges always when eels make his mortal wounds. Soulscryer is fine too to teleport and Aspect of Sea + tidecaster debuffs are awesome. Then u have the enclaves to buff ur animals and the namarti are the slowest units with 5+ save... sorry for the offtopic but idoneth are cool and theres no problem on aninal army leaving namarti on the shell. And now Im going to make an orc army just cause I love the models and they are stronger to carry on a bag (my eidolon broke his spear and shipwreck lantern too). I see orcs a bit more like stormcast liberators and retributors..

We are getting too off-topic at this point.

I only initially mentioned this because I was trying to say that not every force appeals to every person.  Can you make a pure Idoneth force out of the fish - yes.  Is it effective, I think it probably is.  Was the army heavily designed around the core infantry (Namarti) - I think that is also a solid yes.  There are other reasons that I lost the enthusiasm for them that I initially had when the force was revealed.  One reason was that I really liked the model and idea behind the Allopex, but I am extremely meh on the rules.  They are not terrible, but they don't excite me either.  I also did not find the battalions to be particularly interesting.  Long story short, I bought the book and just found that it did not quite click with me.  That does not mean the army is bad by any means.  Other people do find the army to be exciting and that is fantastic - I am glad that people other than myself enjoy it.  I was simply making an example about how some forces don't appeal to some people for whatever reason (there are no right or wrong reasons for not being excited about an army) and this was my personal example. 

But I am still glad that this army exists and that people like it.  I appreciate that there are armies for everyone and I don't expect GW to cater to my personal tastes all of the time.  I got into Warhammer Fantasy long ago with the Undead book, which was basically the original Legions of Nagash.  That book had all undead rolled into it and Nagash was the main guy in it.  In fact, it was the last time Nagash was in Warhammer Fantasy prior to the end times.  What I liked about that army was skeletal legions, wights, wraiths, liches, necromancers, and Nagash.  They ended up making the models more expensive right as I was getting in and I swapped to Orcs & Goblins and ultimately dove headlong into goblins.  I always wanted to go back to Undead, but GW shifted the emphasis into Vampires and then to Tomb Kings.  I thought the Egyptian & Mummy theme of Tomb Kings was neat, but I wanted Wights and Wraiths and they never really embraced that.  Legions of Nagash and now Nighthaunt brought those back in a big big way and I could personally not be happier.  It was like GW answered my particular wish for Undead right there. 

A Moonclan book filled to the brim with zany goblins, fungus monsters, and squigs galore would  be everything I have ever wanted from the Orcs & Goblins.  I have had a very large Night Goblin army since the mid-90s - even though they have arguably never really been that great in regards to rules (fun, but not the most effective thing).  So this troll has me thrilled - but I get that other people may be less enthused.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hoseman said:

I wanna finish my ironjawz army with moonclan and I hope they will be cool and have nice missile weapons... 

One thing that I don't really expect for Moonclan is much of an emphasis on ranged combat.  Night Goblins have never been great bowmen - even for Goblins.  This seems to especially be the case in AoS.  Maybe they will create a ranged unit of squigs like existed in Warhammer Online - like a smaller unit version of the Forgeworld Squig Gobba.  But otherwise I would not expect much for ranged weapons.  I could be wrong, but that has never really been much of a thing for Night Goblins (they live in dark caves after all) and I doubt they would really change that.

Following on from the painting quality discussion, the endless spells are from a chinese manufacturer, unlike the usual miniature range, and so you could expect the final product to differ - the unpainted plastic certainly looks less detailed and is a different colour too

8 hours ago, Waiyuren said:

Blu tack?! ?

I should've guessed they'd use some sort of "aid"; the best food pictures where always of frozen, painted items, or straight up plastic back in the day. ?

Still common enough practice to be fair ? although I had a very fun conversation with a chef who had to bake 10+ Steaks (quite expensive meat) with all the sides for a shoot. Between that and the other dishes he says he spent more on the food than the photographer because they wanted it to be ‘real’. ?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ManlyMuppet88 said:

Good question.  It seems to be a bit of a thing with the Malign Sorcery stuff, as Kirjava13 said, they highlighted the mouldline on the hourglass.....

Hopefully it’s because they had a big pile of other, even cooler, stuff to get to.

Yeah but still, they need only one of each endless spell for the picture and showcase battle. 

Rush the gor/grot 20 to 40 if time is an issue. :/ 

6 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

One thing that I don't really expect for Moonclan is much of an emphasis on ranged combat.  Night Goblins have never been great bowmen - even for Goblins.  This seems to especially be the case in AoS.  Maybe they will create a ranged unit of squigs like existed in Warhammer Online - like a smaller unit version of the Forgeworld Squig Gobba.  But otherwise I would not expect much for ranged weapons.  I could be wrong, but that has never really been much of a thing for Night Goblins (they live in dark caves after all) and I doubt they would really change that.

you don't remember the night gob catapult of flying guys :P A nice pice of (deadly) fun;)

15 hours ago, Malin said:

Any sign of Start Collecting Beasts of Chaos in WD?

New Start Collecting and army deal boxes tend to pop up around Christmas and the start of the school holidays. I'm really hoping for at least SC: Disciples of Tzeentch and Rotbringers this year, but maybe they'll go all in and do those plus Idoneth, Bonesplitters, Beasts and DoK, then we'd be more or less up to speed for the battletome armies. Updating the boxes for Death certainly wouldn't go amiss either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I guess the warherd units will be re-boxed? I hope they don’t raise prices, they are pretty afdordable right now. It would be great If there will be khorgors, slaangors or prestigors released, but it looks like there won’t be any new models apart from the spells and idol. 

3 minutes ago, Malakree said:

@LLV any guesses at a destruction update LoN style. Getting annoyed that a human with a greatsword has the same rend as a Mawkrusha...

Maw-Krusha has -2 rend on some of it's attacks.

But rend isn't exactly everything when it comes to showing how powerful weapons are, to-wound, rend and damage all show how dangerous a weapon can be.

And just putting it out there, all of a Star-drakes attacks has the same rend as a Greatsword ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

you don't remember the night gob catapult of flying guys :P A nice pice of (deadly) fun;)

Doom diver and other war machines have always been from common goblins which is now the Gitmob allegiance.

Edited by Skabnoze

3 hours ago, elfhead said:

So I guess the warherd units will be re-boxed? I hope they don’t raise prices, they are pretty afdordable right now. It would be great If there will be khorgors, slaangors or prestigors released, but it looks like there won’t be any new models apart from the spells and idol. 

Yeah I think so, just rebox. I like the current range- it still feels old school fantasy which a part of me still pines for! The idea of being able to field a really decent full beasts of chaos force with the current range is exciting!