The Rumour Thread

That was not the point. What I meant was that now they're not limited like with the old world where they had to recycle old units again and again. Why wouldn't they expand DoK (I'm using DoK as example, because you consider it  a small faction)? Lack of new units could lower sales, because old players already have complete armies and new players are more interested in newly released factions.

14 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

my guess: they could....but they wouldn't! (If I were GW CEO, I'd say a big NO (just business relative) )

It is a bit naive to think that the story leads the business :P whereas it is completly the otherway around.

They adapt the story to be sure the next development will be a success story in cash.

In the actual development of AoS and 40K, the (business) battlefront is too large to expand some few sub factions. They need new scale cash now. Of course, from time to time, you'll got some new things and sub factions. But the mainstream is to make big things. The LoN has proved it right. Huge success, big return on investments (because the moulding already exist). The DoK proved it on the wrong side (little "success", read: dispointment in £££).

That is why I think GW will do something like LoN for , for example, skaven and green skins. Moulds already exist. Just adapt a mega battletome, you'll get many sales of skaven (chaos oriented), grots, gobs, trolls, orcs. (all destruction oriented).. And then attach to this train  a new  wagon, a (sub)faction like they did with NH for LoN, you got a winner each year!

As a DoK player, i am not sure if the faction failed or not, but if it did, it was by gw own hands. The battleline is just too damn expensive for a horde army.

With that said the cauldron set keeps getting sold out all the time.

What is that made DoK fail anyways? The models looks and/or ammount required or the rulesets? Lots of people complained that the DoK boxes were just way too costly for way too little points/pounds, but I didn't look into it (not a fan of the whole Khaine theme)

I thought Daughters were doing well despite the fact that they've got one of the most expensive basic troop types. That said they are partly overshadowed by the fact that sea-elves came out hot in their heels and huge turtles, eels and frekkin sharks (with harpoons on their backs) might have distracted some buyers.

The Blood Coven is gone, but it appears to still have quite a bit of stock in the distribution network; but it sells out pretty quick from most stores that I've seen so they are selling good. I think that at present most fans want to see more sensibly priced witch Aelves 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Overread said:

I thought Daughters were doing well despite the fact that they've got one of the most expensive basic troop types. That said they are partly overshadowed by the fact that sea-elves came out hot in their heels and huge turtles, eels and frekkin sharks (with harpoons on their backs) might have distracted some buyers.

The Blood Coven is gone, but it appears to still have quite a bit of stock in the distribution network; but it sells out pretty quick from most stores that I've seen so they are selling good. I think that at present most fans want to see more sensibly priced witch Aelves 

Yeah, I dont think Daughters of Khaine failed. It wasnt a giant release like the new Nighthaunts or the Idoneth. But I feel like they did well enough for such a small scale release (Morathi, Melusai and Khinerai). They also turn a profit way easier as enough of their models are old sculpts. Even a few additional sales (and clearing out stock) is a win for GW. 

Yeah they got 3 new kits which are very good kits; they've fleshed out well but I've a strong feeling that we'll see more for Daughters- esp if the story setup between them and Slaanesh is twinned to a big release! Granted at that release I would fully expect Slaanesh to have the lions share, but even one new kit for Daughters would be good and I'd not begrudge Slaanesh getting multiple kits. The big thing would be that the story for Sigmar would thrust both factions into the light for a while.

I'm assuming its daughters and slaanesh because of how the lore currently has Morathi syphoning off souls from Slaanesh and the demons and legions that remain are raiding the shadowlands where Morathi and here people make their most powerful and primary home. Therefore it stands to reason that those two factions would be the focus of a big release. Heck the inside cover art for Daughtesr is daughters VS demonettes 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Overread said:

Heck the inside cover art for Daughtesr is daughters VS demonettes

Kind of off topic, but that reminded me of the daemonette in the picture who was grasping at her slashed throat; kind of a normal reaction, until you remember that they have crab claws. Not sure if that would have helped stop the bleeding. 

20180726_223726.jpg

• Haha 6

11 hours ago, Overread said:

I still hold that the removal of Tomb Kings was more driven by the old Management and a very different attitude toward fantasy, Sigmar and the whole concept of rules and selling models. It was the first step toward what I think, had we remained under the old management, dropping more and more of the Fantasy line until it was basically a boutique line of models. That the 1.0 rules for sigmar included things formally such as "if you have  a beard you get an attack bonus" etc.. also shows that the attitude was drastically different back then. 

On the caveat that there is no piece of vital information that we are not aware of (e.g. an upcoming new range, a broken sphinx mould, etc.) the decision was, and remains, utterly bizarre.

Tomb Guard, Royal Warsphinx, Warsphinx, Necrosphinx, Sepulchral Stalkers, Necropolis Knights, Ushabti Bows, Ushabti Melee and a few characters (e.g. Herald, Tomb Queen).

That's a faction right there. It would have been no smaller than several of the current Battletome armies (e.g. Ironjawz, Beastclaw Raiders, Clan Pestilens, etc.), and mostly plastic. An additional future DoK-style splash release of plastic Ushabti and some kind of demigod centrepiece (e.g. Khalida riding some massive scorpion-thing), and you're all set.

Edited by Kyriakin
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

I'm fairly sure that GW have no intentions on creating any of the actual Chaos gods in miniature form - at the moment at least.  I'm thinking it a mutation more than a daemon limb, so possible Chaos Space Marine or new Rogue Trader.  There are lots of possibilities though :D  I think 12 is some kind of Slaaneshii harp - if 40k is getting a Slaanesh release then we're likely to have Noise Marines back (which is also my punt for 15).

Of course I don t really believe they will release a Chaos God as a model, mine was sarcasm due to the fact that that picture is pretty clearly something related to a Slaanesh army release.?

4 hours ago, Overread said:

@Kyriakinnot to mention that many of those were quite new models in the range - TK were not a back-burner faction like Sisters of Battle, Dark Elves (who have been turned around for a while now ) or Bretonnians

As stupid as it sounds, Tomb kings were left out of AoS by accident. This comes directly from Rob Symes who created and used to present WHTV, and a few others less prominent people from GW. AoS was the idea of a guy called Allan Merrit (who was in charge of all gw IP at the time) and was put into action after he got egg on his face during the gw chapter house court case. Anyway the writers were rushing to get AoS out and they left out tombkings. They were too far gone in development so they left them on the cutting room floor.

sad but true.

Edited by LLV
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

I know you've shown to be pretty accurate, and I for one appreciate your contributions, but that sounds nuts. 

I'm not buying it.

It’s true lol.

Believe what you want, but remember - AoS 2 is a lie.......

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There are just so many parts of it that seem like pop myths.

- That the chapter house thing forced their hand ("yeah, power to the people ... Take down the man ... This proves it was real!")

- That AoS was rushed out the door ("See, it sucked because they rushed it ... Now it's good because they listed to the points crowd.")

- That an entire army could simply be forgotten. ("Whoopsie! Silly us!") Especially consider that they did indeed make rules for them and could simply keep selling the kits instead of pulling them.

- That even if (if!) they got missed, GW still decided that the better plan was to stop selling the range than to just keep them around and put the tiniest effort into keeping them viable.  Keep in mind, Skaven (for example) have had pretty much no different treatment than TK other than just keeping the kits available.

Nah.  Just doesn't add up.  At all.

Edited by Sleboda

Skaven were written into the world building, TK wasn’t - by mistake. 

As for the reason of AoS too- that’s widely documented. I believe you can even find reports on it. Alan Merritt is no longer with GW as he was fired due to the disaster that was original AoS launch. 

But as I said believe what you will.

Like I said- AoS 2 is obviously a lie.....

Edited by LLV
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, LLV said:

But as I said believe what you will. Some people like to live in ignorance and that’s fine. 

Like I said- AoS 2 is obviously a lie.....

Dude (dudette?)

No need too get insulting. I pointed out that i appreciate you and your accuracy.

I'm just saying that the rumor from one disaffected ex employee and a few of his former cronies might not be the best gospel, especially in light of just how crazy improbable the likelihood of those things is. ;shrug:

Sounds more like revisionist history than fact.

Again - not doubting *you* just the info.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LLV said:

guy called Allan Merrit (who was in charge of all gw IP at the time) 

That guy sucks. He regularly tryed to interfere with the judging of the Golden Demon - back hen last years slayer sword winner was part of the jury - and to ban entries because he thought of them untrue to the IP. Which translates to: where kit bashes, showing story elements from BL and not only from codexs, being not the perfect ultramarine blue for ultramarine, but having a scratched surface or simply because he didn't like green that day. 

So jep, him pushing aos so hard that stuff was forgotten and half-as sed is more than believable. Especially since he didn't remember half of the IP all the time when someone didn't prepare him for that day. 

Come to think of, didn't he say something along "the stinky nerds buy what we tell them to, no matter how the like it"? 

@Sleboda calm down, LLV was nowhere near insulting, but I guess nowadays everything can be taken as an insult if you want. 

Edited by Bloodmaster
  • Like 1

Info is verified with my contacts still in GW though. Contacts quite high up in GW as it happens. I’ll modify my post, wasn’t meaning to be insulting. Just gets tiresome people seeming to be contrarians for the sake of it lol. 

• Like 1