The Rumour Thread

27 minutes ago, ReynakZhen said:

Perhaps they can have the corpse carts function similiar to the nurgle trees. Generating "corpse points" when stuff dies near them, that would be neat IMO.

I am looking forward to see if the legions of nagash tome also has some kind of alternative summoning rules as I suspect the summoning rules might get changed into this new system seen in the MoN book.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bsharitt said:

but have there been event in the past where GW released new specific models for the event, and after it was over they never went into general circulation?

Happend yes. For example the druid, fenbeast and dark emmisary from the albion campaign. 

“Battletome: Legions of Nagash is designed  to make sure that Death players have just as many options as their counterparts. Inside, you’ll find the warscrolls for every single Death model (so far)

16 hours ago, Envyus said:

This was a comment on facebook from the Age of Sigmar guys about the Ghouls and how they would relate to the Nagash book.

"The Flesh Eater courts have a complicated relationship with the Lord of Death, and while they do fight alongside other Death warriors, they aren't part of Nagash's shambling undying legion"

These two thing seem to contradict each other.  Every single death model, does that not include ghouls? Will be interesting to see if the ghouls get any love at all.

4 hours ago, Rogue Explorator said:

However, with some of the latest lore, it seems this is exactly where GW is heading, particularly for Deathrattle. The high hopes I had for the future of Deathrattle are certainly sinking by the day currently.

My view is that the different sacrament armies might turn out to be essentially deathrattle/nighthaunt armies with different flavours. Which would make sense. The skeletons can operate by themselves, but they are still under the chain of command with Nagash on top. That's why I fear that the special characters will be compulsory.

13 minutes ago, Jamopower said:

My view is that the different sacrament armies might turn out to be essentially deathrattle/nighthaunt armies with different flavours. Which would make sense. The skeletons can operate by themselves, but they are still under the chain of command with Nagash on top. That's why I fear that the special characters will be compulsory.

What I think happens is depending on what mortarch legion you choose you get a trait for your model. Like let's say you have a wight king leading your army? You can choose a legion for him(or general death) and he gains synergistic effects with those of the same legion. Well, that's how I would do it which makes the most sense to me. 

Since in almost any battletome you don't have to use the special characters to gain the traits. The special characters have awesome rules to make their legion traits better and that's how far I think it will go.  

Edited by shinros
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, shinros said:

What I think happens is depending on what mortarch legion you choose you get a trait for your model. Like like's say you have a wight king leading your army? You can choose a legion for him(or general death) and he gains synergistic effects with those of the same legion. Well, that's how I would do it which makes the most sense to me. 

Since in almost any battletome you don't have to use the special characters to gain the traits. The special characters have awesome rules to make their legion traits better and that's how far I think it will go.  

Yes, that's how I think it goes as well.

2 minutes ago, Kramer said:

To be honest. I'm most excited for the part where they mentioned living and undead living together. Hope it will be more than just fluff... :D 

Yup that's what I am also excited for as well. A whole realm with different cultures living alongside with the dead. Now instead of only having one small area in WHFB we now have a whole realm. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Still-young said:

‘Inside, you’ll find the warscrolls for every single Death model (so far…) alongside four new Allegiances within Death – the Grand Host of Nagash, Legion of Shadows, Legion of Sacrament and Legion of Blood. You’ll also find rules for the Soulblight vampires, if you’re looking to field one of Death’s most elite armies. If you would rather have an army formed from multiple facets of Nagash’s legions, there are also rules for those who pledge themselves more generally to the powers of Death.’

So, Nagash, Shadows, Sacrament, Blood, Soulblight and Death. 

Shadows was a typo they meant Night. Unless they slipped up and Vlad's coming back. 

I mean, in a way I'm glade that Flesh-Eater Courts aren't going to be in there. None of the existing Mortarchs make sense to lead the Flesh-Eaters, only the return of Ushoran himself would make sense to lead them. And that's certainly not going to be happening in Battletome : Legions of Nagash.

My prediction would be that the allegiances are going to end up being like the Great Cities allegiance abilities, but done to a higher level. So hopefully there'll be more unique rules, artefacts, command traits, etc for each Mortarch Allegiance and a list of the models/keywords that can be added into that allegiance.

But something that's a bit odd, is how do you decide which factions serve under what Mortarchs? I think it's simple enough that Soulblight don't serve Arkhan, but how do you decide who uses Deadwalkers or Nighthaunts? Perhaps Neferata doesn't use Deathmages? Dunno, there aren't actually that many Death factions to shift around.

For example, it could be something like

Night : Mannfred, Deathlords (Except named characters), Deathrattle, Deathmages, Deadwalkers, Soulblight, Nighthaunt

Sacrament : Arkhan the Black, Deathlords (Except named characters), Deathrattle, Deathmages, Deadwalkers, Nighthaunt

Blood : Neferata, Deathlords (Except named characters), Deathrattle, Nighthaunt, Soulblight

And in particular, I wonder if they're going to need their specific named character to be a part of the allegiance or not.

2 hours ago, Carnelian said:

And as noted above it seems they got the "every single death warscroll" part wrong too, so maybe let's take the info in that particular warhammer community article as having some possibly incorrect stuff 

Not necessarily. They say FEC are not part of the actual Legions of Nagash, but the Battletome also includes GA:Death rules. So FEC units may still be included under that particular umbrella, but incapable of joining the 4 "character driven" factions.

1 hour ago, someone2040 said:

I mean, in a way I'm glade that Flesh-Eater Courts aren't going to be in there. None of the existing Mortarchs make sense to lead the Flesh-Eaters, only the return of Ushoran himself would make sense to lead them. And that's certainly not going to be happening in Battletome : Legions of Nagash.

My prediction would be that the allegiances are going to end up being like the Great Cities allegiance abilities, but done to a higher level. So hopefully there'll be more unique rules, artefacts, command traits, etc for each Mortarch Allegiance and a list of the models/keywords that can be added into that allegiance.

But something that's a bit odd, is how do you decide which factions serve under what Mortarchs? I think it's simple enough that Soulblight don't serve Arkhan, but how do you decide who uses Deadwalkers or Nighthaunts? Perhaps Neferata doesn't use Deathmages? Dunno, there aren't actually that many Death factions to shift around.

For example, it could be something like

Night : Mannfred, Deathlords (Except named characters), Deathrattle, Deathmages, Deadwalkers, Soulblight, Nighthaunt

Sacrament : Arkhan the Black, Deathlords (Except named characters), Deathrattle, Deathmages, Deadwalkers, Nighthaunt

Blood : Neferata, Deathlords (Except named characters), Deathrattle, Nighthaunt, Soulblight

And in particular, I wonder if they're going to need their specific named character to be a part of the allegiance or not.

Since they supposedly reprint all Warscrolls, they may just decide on a case by case basis and add individual keywords for Blood, Night, Sacrament and Grand Host allegiance.

Edited by Rogue Explorator

4 minutes ago, Rogue Explorator said:

Since they supposedly reprint all Warscrolls, they may just decide on a case by case basis and add individual keywords for Blood, Night, Sacrament and Grand Host allegiance.

Perhaps. I think this is not a very elegant solution though, as I get the feeling some factions are going to cross over into multiple legions. 

Deathrattle for example, I think you'll find in all 4 legions (Nagash, and each Mortarch). Does that mean they should basically have 5 faction keywords (Deathrattle, Nagash, Night, Sacrament, Blood)?

Seems like a lot of keywords to add onto a warscroll. And I expect that Nagash's legion is going to be ALL Death. So to me, it makes more sense that they're defined similarly to how they did the Great Cities, by mentioning keywords and unit names.

I spoke last night to a friend who went to the New Year Open Day on Saturday (I sadly couldn't get there this year).  From what he said:

Legion's of Nagash is meant to represent the legions of Nagash in a similar way that Archaon collects together many aspects of Chaos to form the Everchosen (or at least in the novels).  My own interpretation is that this battletome will replace the Grand Alliance: Death book - do not read that this is Death in it's final form.

Malign Portents is confirmed as a year(ish) long campaign with a big interactive bit during the summer.  As with our last (first) big campaign, the results will shape the future of AoS.

Each of the Heralds contains rules within the box to allow you to integrate them into your Grand Alliance.  Additionally Malign Portents will contain rules that you can use when playing your games.

Malign Portents will include additional releases for Death - GW staff weren't specific so we could be looking at anything from a single clam pack through to a brand new faction(s).

Overall really exciting.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, someone2040 said:

Perhaps. I think this is not a very elegant solution though, as I get the feeling some factions are going to cross over into multiple legions. 

Deathrattle for example, I think you'll find in all 4 legions (Nagash, and each Mortarch). Does that mean they should basically have 5 faction keywords (Deathrattle, Nagash, Night, Sacrament, Blood)?

Seems like a lot of keywords to add onto a warscroll. And I expect that Nagash's legion is going to be ALL Death. So to me, it makes more sense that they're defined similarly to how they did the Great Cities, by mentioning keywords and unit names.

Surely it'll be like Firestorm allegiances, i.e. in addition to GA Death, if your units come from specific list of keywords. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

My fear is that TOs will ban any allegiances or warscrolls that come in the Portents book, just like they ban the firestorm allegiance rules. 

"those are meant for narrative play only" etc.

Not been paying much attention to events but is that right? I thought they were allowed as per the GW ruling (can't remember if in FAQ or just for GW Heats) but you get the Firestorm rules if you drop the Grand Alliance rules. 

As for the Malign Portents stuff, I'm really, really excited about what Legions of Nagash will bring but then GW also showed off lots of stuff for 40K (Adeptus Custodes!!!!!!) so I'm having a wobble! :D 

• Haha 1

I think Legions of Nagash will actually have a unique way of determining which Legion your army comes from.  Could be as simple as a list of units that you can pick (there aren't so many that this will become unwieldy).  Just dawned on me that it's almost a year since I got excited about a Battletome :D

27 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

My fear is that TOs will ban any allegiances or warscrolls that come in the Portents book, just like they ban the firestorm allegiance rules. 

"those are meant for narrative play only" etc.

Generally they only ban things when they create major issues, ala firestorm or the 40k power "Break most of the Tournaments terrain today" aka shifting worldscape.

If they actually create rules to be used in matched play, that had matched play in mind when they were made, they'll probably be integrated. I wouldn't hold my breath, GWs supplement rules are notoriously terrible for tournament style events (death from the skies)

23 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Not been paying much attention to events but is that right? I thought they were allowed as per the GW ruling (can't remember if in FAQ or just for GW Heats) but you get the Firestorm rules if you drop the Grand Alliance rules. 

As for the Malign Portents stuff, I'm really, really excited about what Legions of Nagash will bring but then GW also showed off lots of stuff for 40K (Adeptus Custodes!!!!!!) so I'm having a wobble! :D 

Can't remember which upcoming tournament it was but yeah the pack said no firestorm allegiances. I thought the faq said you can take firestorm allegiance WITH grand alliance allegiance. 

In this case it doesn't matter in terms of army choice for me, so happy to go with the tournament rules, but in terms of a big deal like malign portents, i wouldn't want to invest in a some new army if its' going to be illegal to use at events. 

Edited by Sheriff

31 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Tournament rulings supercede GW rulings for that event and with the controversy of firestorm at launch combined with some bonecrushingly stupid abilities, unclear rules regarding artefacts, and just the general sense that it's not worth the time or effort, firestorm allegiances have been broadly banned at tournaments.

For sheriff, you could originally use both, which was asinine bullstuff and made certain armies (stormcasts) ridiculously overpowered. Then they FAQed it that you could use firestorm instead of you normal allegiance but by that point the competitive community had largely moved on.

Edited by Burf

54 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

In this case it doesn't matter in terms of army choice for me, so happy to go with the tournament rules, but in terms of a big deal like malign portents, i wouldn't want to invest in a some new army if its' going to be illegal to use at events. 

Personally I see Malign Portents as the setting for the game this year and the book will cover that and have some new units, scenarios, and background. The thing you are thinking about will be the Battletombs which will be themed for Malign Portents (such as the Legions of Nagash) but they should have no issues at an event. To be honest I can't see any events banning the new stuff unless it's for a very specific reason (such as a historical narrative event).

• Like 3

I'm kind of expecting that the current mess of Death factions (Deathrattle, Deathwalkers, Deathlords, Death Mages, maybe Nighthaunt too - but not Soulblight and FEC) will be dropped entirely in exchange for those new Legion factions. Complete restructuring, maybe involving something similar to the Mark of Chaos mechanic so e.g. skeletons can be a part of any Legion. That's the vibe I got from it, anyway.