The Rumour Thread

4 hours ago, Kramer said:

Agreed except for the Made to Order. I miss those. The Made to Order, Slaanesh Daemons is the reason I started my Slaanesh army last year. Even if they want to move on from whfb some of the models still have value to me, and always will have. So why not offer them? even without rules there are some models I would buy. It's pure sentiment they are offering. To me just as good as something new. But that's of course personal. 

Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against Made to Order. Likewise wish they'd do it a bit more, and not necessarily related to 'faction of the month'.

I just remember there was at least one occasion where the only thing on pre-order for the week was Made to Order. Stuff you weren't going to get for a month anyway while they take in the orders and start printing them out.

Anyway, back to rumours. A bit disappointed that the Order herald is a Stormcast, but not surprised. They are Sigmar's chosen after all, and it makes the most sense. The only other thing that would've made sense is a model to be tied into a new faction release (like Light or Shadow Aelves), but since they're probably not on the immediate horizon I guess we'll live with a Stormcast. 

That being said, I do like the model, and interested to see what his rules will be in game.

As someone who collects and plays primarily Stormcast Eternals, I am very happy with this release. I thinks it is a great sculpt and especially the face is one of the best I've seen from GW recently. 

I know it's not a popular opinion, but ever since the new SCE battletome dropped last year, I keep fantasizing of the unopened Chambers like the ruination etc. This doesn't mean of course that other armies don't deserve new releases. I am dying for new death and light/shadow elves as much as anyone and the ongoing progression of the narrative/lore. 

On that front, I think it's logical for the order herald to be a Stormcast. We need someone from the main faction representing Sigmar to be on the dark and trying to decipher the portents just as we saw on this video. This also points to the involvement of the other heralds and I believe that each one represents a new faction or expansion of a current one like Lord Ordinator here.

I am sure that new armies to everyone's taste will come eventually, but right now I am most anxious to see how Malign Portents will evolve AoS and how much will this affect for good or for worse the protagonists of the story and the main reason I entered the hobby. Shocking, I know. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mr. White said:

I don't mind it being stormcast, but this model only works for us if he comes with a helmeted option. I know bare faced models is something fans want to provide 'humanity' to the Stormcast, but we much prefer the idea of them being almost etheral/spiritual beings in the armour.

"us" and "we" = "me" and "I".

Stormcast players - or AoS players in general for that matter - are not some kind of hive mind.

Some like the more mysterious helmeted look, while other prefer more humanity (such as the poster above).

GW are catering to both, and rightly so. In fact, helmeted have gotten 95% of the Stormcast releases so far, so I am sure there will be sufficient options that wont result in having to include lame, "old-hat" humans.

Edited by Kyriakin
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kyriakin said:

"us" and "we" = "me"

Not all Stormcast players, or AoS players in general fir that matter, exist in a state of hive mind or group think.

Some like the more mysterious helmeted look, while other prefer more humanity (such as the poster above).

GW are catering to both, and rightly so.

I'm referring to myself and my main AoS opponent. ;)

3 hours ago, Mr. White said:

No problem. I wasn't clear at all.

As a side bar, has there been a stormcast with no helmeted option besides the knight errant? I guess Meatloaf the Celestant might not of had one (though no model in GWs history has needed on more) but his rules are terrible and the model was ugly so I didn't look into it.

6 hours ago, Kugane said:

Super long build up for all the Heralds...

Everybody getting unorthodox releases... goblins... darkoath... malignants. What unorthodox release could order have? A dwarf? An elf? Perhaps free people's?

The moment finally arrived and boom! Another stormcast joins the battle! The least expected of all!

Ah, but you see, that's the genius of Games Workshop! No one could possibly have expected another Stormcast hero so soon, making the most expected choice for Order's herald subversively unexpected xD

Joking aside I'm a little underwhelmed by our Stormcast herald. He seems like a random blend of ideas - Stormcast Warrior, village blacksmith, freeguild general... and is he wearing pearls? O.o It's not a bad model per se but it doesn't live up to the awesome standard set by the other three IMO.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Davariel said:

Joking aside I'm a little underwhelmed by our Stormcast herald. He seems like a random blend of ideas - Stormcast Warrior, village blacksmith, freeguild general... and is he wearing pearls? O.o It's not a bad model per se but it doesn't live up to the awesome standard set by the other three IMO.

I would probably say Devoted of Sigmar rather than Freeguild General... I mean look... I found his bald brother!

99800202007_WarriorPriestNEW01.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, Davariel said:

@someone2040 Pfft, everyone knows warrior priests never sport such magnificent facial hair - those mutton chops are pure Freeguild!

Although the witch hunter does have a very dapper moustache so maybe you have a point xD

Haha I guess I'm used to the Freeguild Generals with the fluffy hats and not so much on the facial hair side of things (Although... that being said I probably should know better since I do have the dude with huge moustache with pistol and hammer).

That being said, in relation to the Warrior Priest above. It's a bit of a shame that the pose is so.... similar, identical almost. Think it would look a bit clowny to have them both in the same army.

2 hours ago, Burf said:

As a side bar, has there been a stormcast with no helmeted option besides the knight errant? I guess Meatloaf the Celestant might not of had one (though no model in GWs history has needed on more) but his rules are terrible and the model was ugly so I didn't look into it.

Neave Blacktalon, Gavriel Sureheart, Hunter Prime, Pallador Prime, Knight Errant and the Knight Aquilor has a no helmet option. Might be more, but those are the ones that came to mind.

Talking of rumours, has anyone heard anything about the power supply upgrade at the GW production centre? I don't see two new armies in January without this being resolved, as it's been cited as the reason for production slowing down in the back half of last year. Granted we may have placed more importance on this than necessary (who us, endlessly speculating based on a few scraps of information?! 9_9), but it seems like a stumbling block that I've not heard about being removed.

2 hours ago, someone2040 said:

Haha I guess I'm used to the Freeguild Generals with the fluffy hats and not so much on the facial hair side of things (Although... that being said I probably should know better since I do have the dude with huge moustache with pistol and hammer).

That being said, in relation to the Warrior Priest above. It's a bit of a shame that the pose is so.... similar, identical almost. Think it would look a bit clowny to have them both in the same army.

I think it's a deliberate homage to that model and I also think having both in the same army is highly unlikely going forward.

• Like 1

Just now, Tzaangor Management said:

Neave Blacktalon, Gavriel Sureheart, Hunter Prime, Pallador Prime, Knight Errant and the Knight Aquilor has a no helmet option. Might be more, but those are the ones that came to mind.

Talking of rumours, has anyone heard anything about the power supply upgrade at the GW production centre? I don't see two new armies in January without this being resolved, as it's been cited as the reason for production slowing down in the back half of last year. Granted we may have placed more importance on this than necessary (who us, endlessly speculating based on a few scraps of information?! 9_9), but it seems like a stumbling block that I've not heard about being removed.

I meant a model with NO helmeted option, not with A NON helmeted option, i.e. a model that cannot be assembled with a helmet from just the contents of its box.

All the ones you described are ones that had a helmeted AND non-helmeted option.

10 minutes ago, Burf said:

I meant a model with NO helmeted option, not with A NON helmeted option, i.e. a model that cannot be assembled with a helmet from just the contents of its box.

All the ones you described are ones that had a helmeted AND non-helmeted option.

Ah I see, without a helmeted option. Then yes, I think you have it with that short list.

40 minutes ago, Burf said:

That would be the Errant-Questor (WHW exclusive), the Shadespire Liberator-Prime, and Gavriel Sureheart. Perhaps the Lord-Ordinator too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Davariel said:

Ah, but you see, that's the genius of Games Workshop! No one could possibly have expected another Stormcast hero so soon, making the most expected choice for Order's herald subversively unexpected xD

I'm really getting a oriental vibe from the design personally, especially with the video's music, the monk and such. Wearing mala (beads) is a common thing in eastern mythology for important figures. Perhaps thats what they were going for? I personally think that there should be at least one asia themed army in Age of Sigmar, or a subfaction - I'm aware most of warhammer is based around nordic mythology, but branching out into other parts of mythology would only get more people interrested in the game. 

I'm not sure if GW is willing to take such  a risk though, I am actually quite surprised how innovative they are lately despite being a multi million company. Most companies don't dare to take such risks. Like in the videogame industry many of the 'top' branches become repetitive because of this very reason. They got a formula that works, and spending money on stuff that potentially becomes a flop is super risky after all ><.

16 minutes ago, Durant said:

Why do we all (inc me to this point) assume that Maligant potent is a proper AoS thing, could it be a new Silvertower, but with Death as main vilans?

My assumption is that I got to see the swanky new logo for Age of Sigmar at the presentation that GW did at Blood and Glory last year. I only caught bits of it as I have poor hearing and was suffering with a bad back (I foolishly offered to help set the tables up!) but it was mentioned that this is a new season for Age of Sigmar. We've just had the Season of Hope where the forces of Order have been able to push back Chaos and make little beachheads and buildup thriving cities in the realms, but we are now going to enter the next new season. With the eerie glow around the new logo and a lot of the stuff we have seen so far, Death seems to be the major player.  (Watch the Maggotkin trailer on the Warhammer TV Youtube channel if you don't believe me).

We could still see a new Silver Tower set but I think the main focus will be the main game and Shadespire this year.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, HorticulusTGA said:

So thx @RuneBrush we know the AOS Open Day is the 3rd of March.

Do you think we'll see anything for AOS / Malign portents (1 day and half left !!) in the New Year Open day this Saturday ? I'm not familiar with this kind of thing so it may only be a small event, with a look at 2017 and nothing else (which is still nice).

I don't think we will see anything new if I'm honest (apart from Forgeworld). All the Malign Portents stuff will be revealed tomorrow with hopefully a suitable Warhammer Live show and you will probably get chance to see the models up close on the Open Day. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kugane said:

I'm really getting a oriental vibe from the design personally, especially with the video's music, the monk and such. Wearing mala (beads) is a common thing in eastern mythology for important figures. Perhaps thats what they were going for? I personally think that there should be at least one asia themed army in Age of Sigmar, or a subfaction - I'm aware most of warhammer is based around nordic mythology, but branching out into other parts of mythology would only get more people interrested in the game. 

I'm not sure if GW is willing to take such  a risk though, I am actually quite surprised how innovative they are lately despite being a multi million company. Most companies don't dare to take such risks. Like in the videogame industry many of the 'top' branches become repetitive because of this very reason. They got a formula that works, and spending money on stuff that potentially becomes a flop is super risky after all ><.

Really, while much of the lore might be very loosely based on the Norse mythology, the visual design really has not been particularly based on any specific source. GW has so far been blending elements and objects from all over the world and history for their AoS miniatures (perticularly many weapons are very much not medieval central European, some of the free cities artwork shows decidedly non European building styles, including one mostly pagodas), but so far they have stayed far away from making straight up counterpart cultures or straight transplants with any new creation (of course many of the pre-endtimes miniatures still carry the look of their Old World origin, which used counterpart/transplant cultures a lot).

I am all for GW continuing down the road they have taken so far in their designs with AoS, including not feeling bound to an European look. I feel that including any sort of clear counterpart faction would be a massive departure from the path taken so far and it is an approach riddled with easy pitfalls I would rather see GW avoid.

• Like 1