The Rumour Thread

2 hours ago, Greasygeek said:

That would be so very extremely megacallifratilistic awesome! But that is not happening. It would be the first time ever for GW to not include a good vs evil battle in a starterbox. It would also mean a box without stormcast.. so well.. I doubt it.

It is some way back by now, but there once was a Lizardmen vs. Bretonnia starter set, so not exactly good vs. not exactly good, so it would not be the first time ever.

I sure would love a Death vs. Nurgle boxset, especially if it was say, easy to build skeletons vs. mostly deamons (skeletons are the only thing I can think of that I would want loads of mostly the same looking minis of and nurgle deamons I can use in 40k with deathguard). Not that I believe that is what is coming mind you.

The way GW is rolling out Malign Portents I think its a new approach to doing a storyline/campaign. If that is what happens, then I think most new releases for at least the first half of 2018 will ty in with Malign Portents, but the heralds will be the only miniatures actually released as part of Malign Portents.

6 hours ago, Segersgia said:

Could this mean we might see Luthor Harkon back? I know he died in the End Times, but vampires kind of do that a lot before resurecting. + he was a mortarch.

Maybe!  He was "Mortarch of the Abyss," so even in that state he was nautically inclined.   I can only imagine what that mini would look like now.  Presumptively spooky.

Also, apparently in the End Times, Mannfred betrayed him to his final death.  So, if he does come back, there's some built-in intra-faction drama ready to go!

3 hours ago, Veterannoob said:

Interviewing David Guymer Monday for Combat Phase podcast on his AoS work in 2017 if anyone has any listener questions.

My suggestions are the following:

• Favourite faction in AoS?
  • What he would like to write about in the Mortal Realms setting?
  • How permissive GW is with adding new ideas when he's writting?
  • How permissive GW is with translating ideas from the old setting to the new? (example: bringing creatures, races or god of the old RPGs into the new setting)(like the Necoho mention in Auction of Blood).

So, just a little thing about those teaser vids I've noticed:

When the "The Field" video ends and the "Malign Portents" logo shows you can see a single skeleton in the lower right corner. At the end of "the ship" you can see more of the picture, including a second skeleton and I also think its a bit clearer. The Original Malign Portents teaser showed none of this artwork. So I guess they'll reveal more and more of the artwork with each "Omen" teaser and I think the actual hint of what is to come may actually be in the artwork and the "Omen" bits before are actually more atmosphere and distraction from the actual reveal playing right under our nose.

I think the redisigned Age of Sigmar logo is similar, it is slightly more zoomed out in "The Ship" than it is in "The Field", though there are no discernible shapes in the sorrounding artwork so far.

I've only just noticed now, since I sort of zoned out when logo played, taking for granted that it is all the same everytime anyway.

So, anyway, if I am onto something here, they are actually showing is some sort of box or bookcover design bit by bit each time the Logos play, while we look at the animations shorts in between scrambling for clues. In which case, well played, social media team.

Edited by Rogue Explorator
P.s.: The difference are only in the teasers on the webside. The Logos are the same in the teasers uploaded to youtube by Warhammer TV, so it might be nothing after all.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sunchaser said:

I hate to be a Debbie downer but they all but confirmed there are NOT going to be undead pirates on FB. They posted a comment on the last omen post saying not to take the omens too literal. This was in reply to someone celebrating the fact that this omen meant undead pirates.

But i already started cobverting skeleton farmers after the first trailer...

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

:P Well GW is missing their own boat then! 

I mean, come up with Wraithfleet, tease a Ship, then come back and say that they won't do it... What would the point be to go in that naval direction just to not flesh it out? I mean they have done that before and the same fans of undead pirates where somewhat dissapointed at it not happening either (Lustria). 

• Like 1

For me the Dark Elves always suited the Pirate theme best (in the old world at least) I'd love a Death vs Dark Elf boxed set!

Where do Dark elves sit in the full these days, I know thy are order on the websites etc so it would fit the bad vs good theme that most boxed sets have. It's seems an unlikely couple to have a boxed set but GW are provided getting bolder and bolder these days... 

Didn't I also hear somewhere that the teaser was Morathi???

I would be very careful not to overhype regarding this malign portents release. I suspect it will mostly be some new campaign/realmwars/firestorm-esque release with the 4 heroes (1 for each grand alliance) being the center focus. Now there might be new death announcement but I strongly believe that nurgle is the next in line to be released and I don't think gw wants 2 releases to clash with each other (unless ofcourse this is a surprise new aos edition (with new logo and all) with a new starter set for nurgle and death but I doubt that).

Edited by angrycontra

1 hour ago, angrycontra said:

I would be very careful not to overhype regarding this malign portents release. I suspect it will mostly be some new campaign/realmwars/firestorm-esque release with the 4 heroes (1 for each grand alliance) being the center focus. Now there might be new death announcement but I strongly believe that nurgle is the next in line to be released and I don't think gw wants 2 releases to clash with each other (unless ofcourse this is a surprise new aos edition (with new logo and all) with a new starter set for nurgle and death but I doubt that).

There might be no direct releases for Malign Portents itself other than the four heroes, but going by the artwork, MP seems highly Death focused and it would be weird to run a big hyped up event like that with only the current range of models to go on. Because of this I think there is good cause to at least expect a release of its own as a tie in around the event.

On the other hand, GW also managed to run a Death Guard focused Campaign event before the actual Deathguard Codex and army release and Nurgle got not a single release to tie in with Realmgate Wars despite being one of the biggest players.

Then again, so far only Shadespire and WH40K 8th edition have gotten a similar amount of buildup from the Community Team, so it is logical many expect there is more to it than what little we have been told so far.

In the end, all bets are off, since we do not even know for certain what Malign Portents exactly will be, since its only ever been called an "event" as far as I recall. Could be a worldwide campaign like Fate of Konor, could be a year spanning background Campaign with all other releases as tie ins, like the Realmgate Wars was, could be just a small splash like Blightwar (remember how many of thought Blightwar would be the followup on Realmgate Wars?) or it could be something unlike all we've seen before.

Right now, all we have to go on is two shown Minis, confirmation of two more, and a lot of hype (going back all the way to Q2 2017 iirc). In this situation speculation and ultimately disapointment seem inevitable.

• Like 3

Absolutely. Also decided to look into the backend of the website of Malign Portents to see if we can see some news or differences between what we see elsewhere. First thing is that The Ship video is actually called The Harbour video; https://malignportents.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/9/2017/12/2.-Malign-Portents-The-harbour.mp4 which to me indicates that indeed a Undead ship might not have been the plan for this.

Indeed the focus is on the dock and the ship but if FB indeed said that we shouldn't look too much into it to me it just indeed is adding an impression and is less of a model sketch preview.

Other than that we see the symbol for the Magic Lore of Death too:
The-Field-video-overlay.jpg

The V-like shape in the background is linked to the Lore of Death, Shyish and all that comes with that domain. Provided the logo isn't just randomly chosen that is ;) 
Afbeeldingsresultaat voor magic logo warhammer fantasy

Lastly, and it's not much, the bar is a skull bar and not a daemonic bar so to me it does lead to the idea of it all being very Death focused for certain.
header-skull-bar-new.png

My guess is that indeed Nagash has come to claim more as just the Death he was working with. Seeking revenge on both Archaon and Sigmar. 

Cheers,

Edited by Killax
  • Thanks 3

While I I enjoy build up to things, the fact is that the reveals, are not revealing much :D

Maybe the Heralds, like the Chaos Queen and the Ghost thing can be the new direction that slaves to darkness and Death are taking. But a Death army needs skellies.  Nagash himself is a big skellie.

Fingers crossed for barbarian slaves to darkness. 

And for the love of Sigmar let the Order herald be something not stormcasty. Like a regular human, or aelf. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Killax said:

:P Well GW is missing their own boat then! 

I mean, come up with Wraithfleet, tease a Ship, then come back and say that they won't do it... What would the point be to go in that naval direction just to not flesh it out? I mean they have done that before and the same fans of undead pirates where somewhat dissapointed at it not happening either (Lustria). 

Yeah it's a shame. Not so much the pirate theme specifically, but ghost ships seem like they'd be an awesome addition to the game in general and would've fit with a lot of the fluff they've been pushing recently. (Wraith Fleet etc.) As you say, it seems like GW missed a trick there.

14 minutes ago, Inqy said:

Yeah it's a shame. Not so much the pirate theme specifically, but ghost ships seem like they'd be an awesome addition to the game in general and would've fit with a lot of the fluff they've been pushing recently. (Wraith Fleet etc.) As you say, it seems like GW missed a trick there.

I think that many vehicles would be awesome for Age of Sigmar in general, be it floating ships or flying monsters being able to carry models from A to B.

The prime reason why I'd love something like it is because it was never really possible in WFB but AoS would seperate itself more and more if it went to maximize the fact of placement and "teleporting/transporting" :) .

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Killax said:

I think that many vehicles would be awesome for Age of Sigmar in general, be it floating ships or flying monsters being able to carry models from A to B.

The prime reason why I'd love something like it is because it was never really possible in WFB but AoS would seperate itself more and more if it went to maximize the fact of placement and "teleporting/transporting" :) .

A flying Death transport unit would be interesting, especially with something like Flesh Eater Courts units, where their normal weakness is getting their heroes sniped by ranged units before they can get to melee range. Alas it seems like it's not to be.

• Like 1