The Rumour Thread

On 1/15/2022 at 5:21 PM, Indecisive said:

the rumour windmill gulf is just amazing, crickets on the aos front while 40k has had a dripfeed of eldar leaks since december for a codex that hasn't even been announced yet

update, the 40k leaks have reached talking chaos space marines and the next space marines codex

maybe someone just needs to hop into whatever chatgroup the leaks are coming from to interject some aos questions, it's the only solution

• Sad 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

3 hours ago, Maogrim said:

@pnkdth @Ratboy genius 

Yeah, I used to play Craftworld Eldar as well as Dark Eldar too during these days. Dark Eldar were more or less my 'first love' in wargaming and I switched to Eldar last minute because I liked them nearly as much while their codex provided more diversity and different play styles. I had the old Dark Reapers, Howling Banshees, hell, all the aspect warriors, many of whom also had animal designs on their helmets. Yet, here I am, over 20 years later, and I still think it would have been cool if they had tried something that tied together their old aesthetic roots with a new and more dynamic approach. 

It's fine if you don't agree with me. Everyone has their own tastes. And I may come across as slightly salty right now, but I'd very much appreciate if you argued in such a way that I don't feel like my opinion as someone who was interested in potentially getting back into Eldar and is disappointed right now is invalid. Thank you for considering.

We've had a disagreement and that's that. I did not think it fair how you represented people who prefer the established aesthetic but I'm not calling your out as having invalidated my opinion.

Edited by pnkdth
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Indecisive said:

update, the 40k leaks have reached talking chaos space marines and the next space marines codex

maybe someone just needs to hop into whatever chatgroup the leaks are coming from to interject some aos questions, it's the only solution

The source is from Valrek I believe, so good luck with that

Edited by novakai

5 hours ago, Noserenda said:

Its likely a playtester or GW themselves (Given how some of it has gone, id normally discount the idea that GW did their own leaks) so they may not even have AoS leaks 

If it is GW why can't they leak something for AOS and remind the online discourse that the game still exists?

But don't worry Nighthaunt will be a big new release not just a hero:
Bartaos.jpeg.a718e414f63a82f2ef4a18a0f24286f1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Radically redesigning and overhauling an aesthetic makes sense when the original one isn't fit for purpose and looked dated the moment it came out. The original Dark Eldar are a good example of where this works.

Radically changing the core Craftworld design would be idiocy of the highest degree. One of the reasons the range has taken so long to be updated is that even some of its models made back in the early 90's still hold up well!

That is solely down to Jes Goodwin's design work. There is so much iconic imagery and designs associated with the faction now and it has a huge established fanbase alongside a huge potential fanbase that like the aesthetic that there really is no sense in throwing everything out to start again*. This isn't to say stuff cannot be changed: the new Shining Spears and Maugan Ra models diverge from their original sculpts, but that's because they were some of the designs that have aged relatively poorly. Things like Guardians though? All Guardians needed was a new sculpt made of better plastic, some more variety and dynamism in poses and a better gender spread... which they're getting, because Guardian designs already look fantastic.

*Seriously the amount of people I've seen say they're now starting Aeldari armies is pretty ridiculous. All people wanted was new sculpts because the lore and design of the faction was so solid.

Edited by Bosskelot
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, Gailon said:

Even if it was just against shooting attacks it would be great for the game. 

It’s tricky because as it looks now, the heroes buff range is rather limited (if you want to charge with your units, that is). So as a work around your heroes (buff heroes) would have to charge as well. 
Imo that validates a bodyguard rule that does „something“ in melee as well.

5 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

If it is GW why can't they leak something for AOS and remind the online discourse that the game still exists?

Nighthaunt are probably the one faction that just needs new rules, given the vast amount of units they have.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Still-young said:

Which in my opinion, is exactly what Eldar needed. Jes Goodwin hit absolute gold when he designed the Eldar like 30 years ago. The designs are excellent. 15-25 year old finecast models are not excellent. They didn’t need a drastic redesign, they needed up to date plastic models. 

Agreed. I would also say that the armies we most want updated fall into this category of needing up to date models rather than redesigns

Beasts, Skaven?, Flesh Eaters, Ogors, Seraphon*, Slaves To Darkness.

*personal opinion, Skinks are fine but could maybe use updated models. All Saurus however need a massive overhaul, should be almost twice as big and bulky than they are now - the plastic Bloodbowl Saurus, and the Oldblood from the Starblood Stalkers underworlds Warband are great examples of what Saurus SHOULD look like

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Bosskelot said:

Radically redesigning and overhauling an aesthetic makes sense when the original one isn't fit for purpose and looked dated the moment it came out. The original Dark Eldar are a good example of where this works.

Radically changing the core Craftworld design would be idiocy of the highest degree. One of the reasons the range has taken so long to be updated is that even some of its models made back in the early 90's still hold up well!

That is solely down to Jes Goodwin's design work. There is so much iconic imagery and designs associated with the faction now and it has a huge established fanbase alongside a huge potential fanbase that like the aesthetic that there really is no sense in throwing everything out to start again*. This isn't to say stuff cannot be changed: the new Shining Spears and Maugan Ra models diverge from their original sculpts, but that's because they were some of the designs that have aged relatively poorly. Things like Guardians though? All Guardians needed was a new sculpt made of better plastic, some more variety and dynamism in poses and a better gender spread... which they're getting, because Guardian designs already look fantastic.

*Seriously the amount of people I've seen say they're now starting Aeldari armies is pretty ridiculous. All people wanted was new sculpts because the lore and design of the faction was so solid.

I imagine the same will be said of Seraphon once they update the Saurus and Knights. People will flock to that Faction.

26 minutes ago, Joseph Mackay said:

Agreed. I would also say that the armies we most want updated fall into this category of needing up to date models rather than redesigns

Beasts, Skaven?, Flesh Eaters, Ogors, Seraphon*, Slaves To Darkness.

*personal opinion, Skinks are fine but could maybe use updated models. All Saurus however need a massive overhaul, should be almost twice as big and bulky than they are now - the plastic Bloodbowl Saurus, and the Oldblood from the Starblood Stalkers underworlds Warband are great examples of what Saurus SHOULD look like

Hard agree on all the above mate!! Especially Ogors. Give us updated Gluttons with dynamic posing and watch as hordes of hobbyists flock to the Mawpath!!

I think a big thing we have to take into account with model refreshes is the context between 40k and AoS.

A range refresh in 40k is exactly that, just a refresh, its the same units, the same characters, the same models but with a shiny new skin.

In Age of Sigmar the designers have a whole new expansive universe to explore, they can get out of the restrictive nature of square bases and older techniques to give us more dynamic, more interesting models who are properly infused with the nature of the Mortal Realms.

If we are looking at the likes of armies in AoS that still have model ranges dominated by WHFB models I would be pretty dissapointed if all we got was 1:1 remakes of the existing models, it would feel to me like a real waste of potential.

Probably worth putting a caveat that while I did play WHFB briefly I really have absolutely no nostalgia for it and I would prefer if GW pivoted it's marketing away from nostalgia in general.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, mojojojo101 said:

If we are looking at the likes of armies in AoS that still have model ranges dominated by WHFB models I would be pretty dissapointed if all we got was 1:1 remakes of the existing models, it would feel to me like a real waste of potential.

The rank and file poses of the models in WHFB looked great in that system. In AoS they do not look good at all imo. The models now need to feel like the are moving and not the static blocks they used to be. This also gives the designers a much bigger canvas. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Iksdee said:

The rank and file poses of the models in WHFB looked great in that system. In AoS they do not look good at all imo. The models now need to feel like the are moving and not the static blocks they used to be. This also gives the designers a much bigger canvas. 

Need I say...GLUTTONS!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

I've long suspected that a lot of the people who peddle 40K rumors also have access to some level of AoS leaks, they just don't care enough to bother with it all.

Or to put it another way, there seems to be a lot of people willing to risk their employment to leak 40k news, that kind of passion and lifetime obsession just doesn't exist for AoS.

You have to think of it from an official GW position too. They’ve revealed battle boxes for both games with implied new army books down the line. Eldar have had a couple more reveals but other than that everything else is known through leaks. So GW probably sees it as balanced reveals from a marketed stand point whilst acknowledging the leaks for 40k would encourage others to leak more.

That said with the recent Necromunda, Underworlds and Kill Team releases there’s not much confirmed in the pipeline so we should be due some announcements soon

1 minute ago, madmac said:

I've long suspected that a lot of the people who peddle 40K rumors also have access to some level of AoS leaks, they just don't care enough to bother with it all.

Or to put it another way, there seems to be a lot of people willing to risk their employment to leak 40k news, that kind of passion and lifetime obsession just doesn't exist for AoS.

To be fair if I had access to 40k leaks they would read something like this:

There was an elf with a gun on a speeder bike from star wars and some chaos guys with guns and they were lead by Doctor Octopus. Also some robots... maybe they were Knights or dreadnoughts but they were armed with guns and a vulture. There was an inquisitor looking dude or maybe a space marine but he didn't have a helmet on and instead of a gun he had a big sword and really hates books.

So maybe they aren't posting anything because they don't really know what they are encountering? Like they may have seen some cool shadow elves with amethyst blades "I dunno that doesn't look like a powersword so I should probably not say anything in case I am wrong, it might not even be for AOS but for some other side game". And then we are left in the depth of Ulgu's shadows because they were unwilling to just tell us "cool looking elves coming up".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

To be fair if I had access to 40k leaks they would read something like this:

There was an elf with a gun on a speeder bike from star wars and some chaos guys with guns and they were lead by Doctor Octopus. Also some robots... maybe they were Knights or dreadnoughts but they were armed with guns and a vulture. There was an inquisitor looking dude or maybe a space marine but he didn't have a helmet on and instead of a gun he had a big sword and really hates books.

So maybe they aren't posting anything because they don't really know what they are encountering? Like they may have seen some cool shadow elves with amethyst blades "I dunno that doesn't look like a powersword so I should probably not say anything in case I am wrong, it might not even be for AOS but for some other side game". And then we are left in the depth of Ulgu's shadows because they were unwilling to just tell us "cool looking elves coming up".

I could see that being how we ended up with that Bretonnian Stormcast rumour. Because nobody with more than a passing familiarity with Bretonnia would have confused Thunderstrike Stormcast with Bretonnians.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I could see that being how we ended up with that Bretonnian Stormcast rumour. Because nobody with more than a passing familiarity with Bretonnia would have confused Thunderstrike Stormcast with Bretonnians.

That was always my assumption on that one. The Dominion Stormcasts are a little more knightly looking than before, they're led by a sorta Joan-of-Arc looking angelic figure, it fits OK assuming you're talking from the perspective of someone who doesn't really know anything about Brettonia except "Knights who worship the Lady".

Also the conflicting reports of "Thinner" and "Bigger" Stormcasts makes sense after seeing the box, since they are mostly slimmed down but also annihilators exist. 

Edited by madmac
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, madmac said:

That was always my assumption on that one. The Dominion Stormcasts are a little more knightly looking than before, they're led by a sorta Joan-of-Arc looking angelic figure, it fits OK assuming you're talking from the perspective of someone who doesn't really know anything about Brettonia except "Knights who worship the Lady".

It would be interesting to go back to the Dominion rumours and do a little after-the-fact check up on what turned out to be true. We know that Kruleboyz wolf cavalry obviously didn't pan out, but I think I remember some stuff like the Sludgeraker being name-dropped before the model was revealed, but with a wrong explanation of what it would do in game (be undercosted with a strong combat profile, but be forced to charge and fight enemy units whenever able). I think there were some rumours that mixed correct and false facts, which I think could point towards play testers being the source and reporting rules that didn't make the final cut.

• Like 1