The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, OkayestDM said:

Given the nature of the times we live in, and the cascading complications businesses like GW face with shipping, supply, and releases, that's the only kind of roadmap they would be likely to hazard.

Even so, it took months for them to release the SCE and Kruelboyz models after AoS 3.0 was announced, and even longer to release the dragon models. In all probability, GW likely just doesn't want to risk committing to anything because the rug has been pulled out from under their plans too frequently in such a short amount of time already

By the looks of things AoS is still struggling to get back on track, whereas 40k seems to have gotten some traction going.

40k has been months behind on codices. Full necron range got released fully in boxes almost a year later in may 2021. Imagine getting a codex for a new unit in july-september and waiting to May.  Just last week or 2 weeks ago they changed their release schedule and delayed new codices later after the battlebox duel set GSC vs Custodes releases. 

Both games have some really old rumour engines. There are really no winners here and we shouldn't be angry at people who play the other game system.

Going fully paper amidst world pandemic is just something special, especially if people at financial institutions started talking about supply chains being stretched to the maximum and working in backlog till late 2022 - just type in container ship backlog in google and filter it by month/week, many record numbers of ships waiting to be unloaded everywhere. 

On top of that the demand is far greater than supply so good luck hopefully we wont get another Cursed City cancellation scenario. 

• Like 10
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

While I understand that, I think being transparent about issues that are literally out of your company's control fares much better with your customers than staying completely silent and/or pulling a Cursed City. Waiting isn't the actual problem for the vast majority of us, it is the lack of communication. Especially from a company that advertises its IPs as a holistic hobby system (books, games, models, conversions, etc etc). 

You'll get no argument from me there.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

I've had 2 separate store owners tell me they are not allowed to open any of the battletomes/codexes because of the digital code inside. So we're past the age where you'd crack open a book in-store to show a new hobbyist... 

edit to actually finish this thought: maybe it's just me but I would not ever buy a book I couldn't open before purchasing it, especially having no idea what to expect inside.

Surely they'd be allowed to have a store copy for display purposes and just blank out the code. I'm guessing they aren't allowed to open just any codex/battletome, but a sacrificial one to show off isn't out of the question. Then again it might depend on footfall in the store. I'm sure they'll have some codex/battletomes to hand (even their own ones) to give people an idea what's inside. 

15 minutes ago, Overread said:

Surely they'd be allowed to have a store copy for display purposes and just blank out the code. I'm guessing they aren't allowed to open just any codex/battletome, but a sacrificial one to show off isn't out of the question. Then again it might depend on footfall in the store. I'm sure they'll have some codex/battletomes to hand (even their own ones) to give people an idea what's inside. 

My store used to have all up to date codices/supplements available for players before corona hit at the same time I understand that if you are not allowed to have players playing games inside it is just hundreds of dollars wasted on store copies. 

At the same time I know about shops who just sell 40k stuff but you cannot play in them before the online codes you could list in the books and you still can do so with all of those DnD supplements. What can I say. 🤷‍♂️ 

6 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Whoa whoa whoa...we dont use that word here

(Previous post was a misunderstanding on my behalf, spoke with Malakithe and they were making a joke about GW's lack of clarity - sorry for any confusion, it's all good here :)

Edited by Enoby
Misunderstanding on my behalf after talking with user
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

Well looking at roadmaps, we actually woundn't need to know the week or month exactly.

If we look at Cublicle 7 for example, when they made their Roadmap Update in November:

https://www.cubicle7games.com/november-production-update/

They are mentioning their releases in quarters. Okay I'm still waiting that the prints for "Shadows in the Mist", the "Bestiany" and maybe "Steam and Steel" lose the Pre-Order Status, so I can order it in the shop I want, but we see a direction.

I mean, do we need to know that for example a Fyreslayers vs Deepkin box might be released in February or would it be enough information right now if we would know that it is planned for Q1/2022.

It would open a little playing room for GWs releases and at the same time customers could see a direction.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Charleston said:

I wonder if the rumoured OBR Release has something in common with the delay of OBR Battleforces in Europe

Don't think so Death Guard are also delayed and they are not getting anything soon.

I think its more the case that they sent the first wave of production out to the US and Australia because shipping takes time and then had something stopping them from producing enough for Europe in time

Edited by Matrindur
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

Well looking at roadmaps, we actually woundn't need to know the week or month exactly.

If we look at Cublicle 7 for example, when they made their Roadmap Update in November:

https://www.cubicle7games.com/november-production-update/

They are mentioning their releases in quarters. Okay I'm still waiting that the prints for "Shadows in the Mist", the "Bestiany" and maybe "Steam and Steel" lose the Pre-Order Status, so I can order it in the shop I want, but we see a direction.

I mean, do we need to know that for example a Fyreslayers vs Deepkin box might be released in February or would it be enough information right now if we would know that it is planned for Q1/2022.

It would open a little playing room for GWs releases and at the same time customers could see a direction.

I agree. Not even a Quarter needs to be announced. Just say we have Nurgle then Ossiarch, Fyreslayers etc in that order being released soon. 

• Like 1

This is all my theory/specualtion but I legit think they dont really do roadmpas because of investors. If investors knew the launch dates of things then their stock value would be everywhere. Theres also the case for investors dont liking unfulfilled promissed but as long as youre making enough money they dont really care. I think its mostly the first reason tho but thats just me.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Higolx said:

This is all my theory/specualtion but I legit think they dont really do roadmpas because of investors. If investors knew the launch dates of things then their stock value would be everywhere. Theres also the case for investors dont liking unfulfilled promissed but as long as youre making enough money they dont really care. I think its mostly the first reason tho but thats just me.

larger companies with higher cash flow manage to give release dates far in advance and it does not make their stock go crazy 

• Like 2

Not sold on the investors idea either, I think it’s just a cultural GW thing. Look at Black Library, they’re based around releases that are hardly going to be a big deal for investors but most of the time they’re all but actively antagonistic towards people knowing what books are coming out (or people wanting to buy them). You don’t get this from other presses or similar companies.

My theory about the lack of road map has always been that it increases our impulse purchasing.   If you don’t know what’s coming, and your always worried you will miss a product you can’t budget and you’ll buy more.

I think GW’s method of having constant limited releases, and always being sold out of the good stuff is why we all have shelves and shelves of unopened boxes.

it works on me even though I see what they are doing.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Nerdkingdan said:

My theory about the lack of road map has always been that it increases our impulse purchasing.   If you don’t know what’s coming, and your always worried you will miss a product you can’t budget and you’ll buy more.

I think this is the truth of it. Their customerbase generally has, frankly, barely existent impulse control as any new reveal here and elsewhere shows. How many new releases see a few hundred "Here's my latest haul, I couldn't resist!" posts on places like Reddit that you just know are going onto a Pile of Shame(tm)? 

I do think that even if they don't want to make it SOP, the unique circumstances surrounding Covid and it's knock-on should really push them to lay out a roadmap - and I don't mean one that's literally just the codexes/battletomes we know are coming (wow, Orks and Black Templars??? We hadn't known that for months already or anything!). Underworlds does it and even with the factions all but spelt out, it doesn't stop people from speculating, only increases discussion if anything.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 3

While I'd love to see more AoS (in the year of a new edition, it's been really quiet), I don't begrudge Eldar getting a big place in the spotlight. Although I don't play 40k any more, Eldar were one of my first loves in 40k back in the day, and they've had a long time without any love.

Still, I hope AoS will get some great releases early in 2022!

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, SlyRebirth said:

While I'd love to see more AoS (in the year of a new edition, it's been really quiet), I don't begrudge Eldar getting a big place in the spotlight. Although I don't play 40k any more, Eldar were one of my first loves in 40k back in the day, and they've had a long time without any love.

Still, I hope AoS will get some great releases early in 2022!

I agree. I'm glad for Eldar players, who are basically the 40K version of Skaven players at this point, getting their dues and updates.

I know I already said I had low expectations for this Rumour Calendar, but 25 days of "ooOOOOoooo it's a part of an Eldar model ooOOOOOooo!" is disappointing to say the least.

Rumour Engines that very obviously belong to a specific faction work in isolation because it suggests X army is getting something in the future, but when they all belongs to the same faction I can go on the webstore right now and crop out random bits of Eldar models and make a collage for the exact same effect as this.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 8
  • Confused 2

39 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

I know I already said I had low expectations for this Rumour Calendar, but 25 days of "ooOOOOoooo it's a part of an Eldar model ooOOOOOooo!" is disappointing to say the least.

Rumour Engines that very obviously belong to a specific faction work in isolation because it suggests X army is getting something in the future, but when they all belongs to the same faction I can go on the webstore right now and crop out random bits of Eldar models and make a collage for the exact same effect as this.

I was also hoping for more cool AoS stuff, but the ancient Eldar range getting a huge refresh is objectively quite exciting. I mean, it would be more exciting if we had not known it was coming for a few months already, but still.

• Like 6

On the plus side it means we'll probably see the models these rumour engines belong to fairly promptly (I'd be willing to bet we even see some over Christmas after the advent calendar's concluded) so I suppose it's a case of what is preferred, a broad spread of rumours for things that might not be shown for months, or a more focused lead-in to a single release.

• Like 1