The Rumour Thread

31 minutes ago, GammaMage said:

Can they put together a  Kharadron Start Collecting Box without it being prohibitively expensive? I suppose they could do something like an Aether Khemist, an Arkonaut Company  and a Grundstok Gunhauler.

If they do then, lets be honest, its not going to contain the stuff most people want. It will probably have a Navigator, company and a Gunhauler 9_9.  Be nice if it had company and riggers but that doesnt fit the theme of Start collecting, which is primarily as a start point for new players and not intended as a multiple purchase (or no-one would buy the single kits).

Still no rumour of new SC coming though, still just lots of hope-ers   :D

Edited by stato
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, someone2040 said:

I mean, terrain is literally just a page MysteriousLandscapes.pdf

Just read the pdf. 

We tried adding difficult terrain. It was thematic but difficult terrain always ended up being a very effective help for shooters. If there is one thing AOS  DON'T   need it's anything that help shooters. 

Edited by Greasygeek
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Greasygeek said:

Just read the pdf. 

We tried adding difficult terrain. It was thematic but difficult terrain always ended up being a very effective help for shooters. If there is one thing AOS  DON'T   need it's anything that help shooters. 

The rule for difficult were the only ones I was unsure about(and of course,  the only original rules). 

Perhaps a better rule would just be to prevent running through difficult terrain. 

In some ways,  i have no issue with slowing terrain helping shooters. In real battle,  the guys with the bows on the opposite side of the river of course have the advantage. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stato said:

If they do then, lets be honest, its not going to contain the stuff most people want. It will probably have a Navigator, company and a Gunhauler 9_9.  Be nice if it had company and riggers but that doesnt fit the theme of Start collecting, which is primarily as a start point for new players and not intended as a multiple purchase (or no-one would buy the single kits).

Still no rumour of new SC coming though, still just lots of hope-ers   :D

Navigator, Arkanauts and Gunhauler definitely seems like the box they'd do. Right in line price-wise and at least 2/3rds units that are probably not selling as well as others. Would love if that were a Christmas surprise but expecting soonest would be 2018. I believe 40k is getting a few new SC boxes, so maybe there's hope. 

26 minutes ago, polarbear said:

Navigator, Arkanauts and Gunhauler definitely seems like the box they'd do. Right in line price-wise and at least 2/3rds units that are probably not selling as well as others. Would love if that were a Christmas surprise but expecting soonest would be 2018. I believe 40k is getting a few new SC boxes, so maybe there's hope. 

I just bought my Kharadrons from a shop that did 25% off, saved the wait (and wasted money on stuff i didnt need).

4 hours ago, Greasygeek said:

Just read the pdf. 

I think the terrain tweak discussion is moving far away from rumour now into the territory of our old friend 'Mr. shooting is too strong'.

It's true though, almost all terrain rules that don't involve LoS are going to just be a buff to shooting.

Unless you've got some kind of cavalry subway system.

59 minutes ago, Auticus said:

There are no GW kits that block line of sight that are area terrain.  They are all laughably easy to see through in some form or fashion.  I've seen players resort to dropping GW forest bases and then custom modeling a dozen trees on top of them so that they really block line of sight.

Which incites rage and "modeling for advantage" cries.

So yeah.  The four page rules.  Lol.

While the game remains as simplistic as it is, it will continue to be avoided by a large amount of people that expect a certain level in "wargames".  The always fluctuating mysterious terrain is largely ignored because people want consistency.  The true line of sight combined with the slavish addiction to GW model kits only or else you are modeling to advantage is also a problem.  

To try to claim that terrain hinders movement is also ... well... largely false.  Terrain does nothing to hinder movement other than pedantically make you move an inch or so around something... in a system where you can move in any direction you want and many models can move almost a foot or more a turn plus another potential foot on the charge.   In a game where Turn 1 charges are not uncommon and you can often get most of your army engaged by turn 2.  

So yeah.  GW.  Put out some advanced optional rules please.  

Which would make area terrain blocking line of sight a keynote.  Shooting is what shooting is because most tables you can see whatever you want and target it.  

sigh.... are any of your posts not about your group crying? they cry at literally everything

even if they put out " advanced optional rules " your group will still cry about it as then suddenly everyone will be playing different versions of the same game and how can they prepare for competitive tournaments when everyone is playing different versions etc etc... you'll have members moaning that person x wants this rule set but person y doesnt as they feel it is countering their army or the other playing is picking rules to gain unfair advantage etc etc. 

As has been said many times, there is "advanced optional rules" its called house rules. which they actively encourage by games-workshop; as that is exactly what your "advanced optional rules" are two people agreeing on additional rules to supplement the base game, even if they are " official " both players need to agree on them to start a game. they do not need to be in the book. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Auticus said:

While the game remains as simplistic as it is, it will continue to be avoided by a large amount of people that expect a certain level in "wargames". 

Good, these are the types of people I don't want to be playing AoS with. Let them spread their toxicity elsewhere.

Back to rumours. So pretty much all speculation I read for future armies is from this forum, but how many of these are actually looking realistic? Nurgle, new (pirate?) Aelves and Deathrattle are the ones I'm commonly hearing, but which of these do we actually see happening next year? Because let's be honest beyond Shadespire I don't think we're going to see a new army this side of Christmas. Though, following in the footsteps of the amazing overlooked Fyreslayers Start Collecting box we got, can we maybe expect some great start collecting boxes for Christmas? Other than KO, which "fully fleshed out" armies don't have one? Or maybe some of those £100 "Battleforce" boxes that we saw last year. Though limited those were incredible value for money.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, someone2040 said:

buildings are often reduced to impassable terrain, or walls don't provide cover because they don't exist as an 'area'.

Then that's a problem with the players, to be blunt. 

Curious, why would walls "exist as an area?" A wall is just about the most straightforward bit of terrain (with rules handled completely in the 4-pager) I can think of on the table. 

4 hours ago, Auticus said:

To try to claim that terrain hinders movement is also ... well... largely false

Except that,  you know,  I gave examples (common ones) that are true.

Also, just as an example,  the Numinous Ocuthingie blocks Los nicely, as does the archway (for hiding a key single character- incidentally addressing the common moan of characters being too easy to kill).

I get that AoS frustrates you in its differences from Old School Real Wargames (tm), but I think that frustration is leading you to gloss over some valid counterpoints or dismiss rules applications as pedantic when if we just take those rules that are there and understand that they are for AoS and not trying to recreate any OSRW (tm)  then the happiness quotient would be much higher. 

TLDR - AoS is its own system and it's fun. 

Edited by Sleboda

2 minutes ago, Auticus said:

AOS is a step removed from being a board game as opposed to a wargame, which is also the source of a lot of frustration.  As a quasi-board game yes it can be fun.

Hmm.  I LOVE Arcadia Quest and Black Plague, so maybe that explains a thing or two.  :)

1 hour ago, Double Misfire said:

Back to rumors...

I assume a Death based spectre thing, like ye olde candle in the dark deal. My HOPE though is this could fit into some old Empire aesthetic. There is a lot of candles and skulls and wax seals from the Empire (aka Fantasy Imperium) which could translate to Freeguild or, dare I say it, Collegiate Arcane. Total wish listing, but an expanded Collegiate Arcane with Mage Guards and magical constructs, etc. would be my dream!

In other bits, I look forward to the obvious holiday boxes and new Start Collecting with my empty wallet. lol I'd say KO and Swifthawk Agents are key contenders. Moonclan and other Skaven clans would be awesome, but would probably require new miniatures.

As for the battleforces this year, sadly i expect them rather to be replaced with new toys + 15yo-or-so-minis-allies. Sure we want those. BUT if they keep sanity and make it same as last year (which in the end i bought 3 boxes) then with no doubt we will see Tzeentch. The second box for sure will be stormcasts. We just can't wait to see more so this time it's the Vanguard Chamber. If they make a third box it's probably KO. I don't expect more boxes. I'm only interested in the second option (1 faction box) and if it's KO then I'm in. 

20 minutes ago, Aryann said:

As for the battleforces this year, sadly i expect them rather to be replaced with new toys + 15yo-or-so-minis-allies. Sure we want those. BUT if they keep sanity and make it same as last year (which in the end i bought 3 boxes) then with no doubt we will see Tzeentch. The second box for sure will be stormcasts. We just can't wait to see more so this time it's the Vanguard Chamber. If they make a third box it's probably KO. I don't expect more boxes. I'm only interested in the second option (1 faction box) and if it's KO then I'm in. 

I wonder if, if such boxes are actually released, that any of them will still be available at this point next year.  Seriously, that Beastclaw Raiders box that was released is still available everywhere I look.  I bet that thing would have sold out if it had a couple Gutbusters infantry boxes instead of all those Finecast figures.  I myself am hoping for a Deathrattle/Deathlords/Death box, a Sylvaneth box, or a Dispossessed/Free Guild box, since those are the armies my family and I are looking at right now.

Has anyone heard anything about holiday bundles for this year?  Surely it's not just the Firestorm boxes.

9 hours ago, Siorra said:

Back to rumours. So pretty much all speculation I read for future armies is from this forum, but how many of these are actually looking realistic? Nurgle, new (pirate?) Aelves and Deathrattle are the ones I'm commonly hearing, but which of these do we actually see happening next year? 

Sadly I am not sure there is any actual evidence for the rumoured factions of gobbo pirates, aelf pirates, cthulu aelves or death release, other than general rumours.  Which is a shame as they all sound awesome!

Please correct me if I'm wrong

I was hoping that we’d see a nurgle battletome and some new nurgle mortals this side of Christmas, but Im slowly losing all hope (how fitting). Seems to me, we may get a couple of new factions early next year, which annoys me somewhat cause I was hoping to treat myself for Christmas. But oh well, better late than never I guess. 

Ps I have no evidence for this and damn I hope I’m wrong.