The Rumour Thread

28 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

Not liking Space Marines is not the same thing as 40k bashing... well it shouldn't be but since they are the only thing with actual support I guess it sorta is the same thing ☹️

To be fair even non space marine 40k fans bash new space marines release. Heck, even space marine fans bash new space marines releases from time to time. Its frankly a pilar of the community at this point

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

So I have a question, are we likely to get battalions, path to glory and other 3.0 rules for Lumineth, Soulblight and Hedonites in a campaign supplement, white dwarf or an updated battletome?

Probably a white dwarf. Those are all new battletomes and they seem to be doing newer battletome updates in white dwarf articles.

• Thanks 1

On 10/9/2021 at 7:33 AM, Public Universal Duardin said:

However, the more diverse and progressive characterisations we've seen in AoS could as well be retconned into Old World, I don't think that setting is 'beyond saving' in that regard.

Where I differ with you on crowning Mortal Realms as king (despite my previous deep praise!) of settings is that while all that open-endedness fits me, after talking to multiple friends who have been slow to adopt Mortal Realms; I realised there is strenght in history. Not everyone is creative in same ways, and for every person who creates their own space marine chapters and stormhosts, there's one or two who want to play as Dark Angels and Hammers of Sigmar because they have a deep history - you get to know exactly what kind of dudes your dudes are, heh, without having to pretend to be the next George RR Martin. At least AoS 3.0 rulebook seemed to explain the important cities of the Realms and featured heraldry of the CoS armies within, but I hope GW balances it out so neither - full unknown or everything explained - reigns over each other, but there's room for both.

I wouldn't say "beyond saving" but I would say the Old World has run its course in terms of fantasy needing to get away from Tolkien and [old] DND archetypes. The better characterizations could be retconned into Old World but it still does not solve the problem that it is a pseudo-Earth and some factions will simply *always* be completely separated from others. Add in the fact that pseudo-earth means all the humans are distinctly separated by ethnicity and you're talking about pretty massive retcons for what you've already said is a very established, very mapped out setting.

There is a strength in the history of WHF for sure. It's why TOW is a thing and our nostalgia is why it's still enjoyable to browse WHF content/media/models. If you have friends struggling, you could position the Mortal Realms as them making history, instead of following it? I know End Times and 1.0 were A Mess, but I'm glad to be part of a pretty huge reimagining of the fantasy genre. Hopefully we'll get more 3.0 novels soon so GW can show us they feel the same way :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dirkdragonslayer said:

Love the vampiress, she looks awesome. I might give her some spare Escher hair I have in my bits box, to make her more punk rock though. Or tattoos on her shaved head.

Yeah I think she looks awesome but I'd prefer hair.. not a fan of bald vamps [of either sex!]

Looking forward to the big preview! Hope they show some cool new stuff. Beyond the remaining kits for Stormcast we don't have much of a clue what is coming so should be exciting!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, silverstu said:

Yeah I think she looks awesome but I'd prefer hair.. not a fan of bald vamps [of either sex!]

Looking forward to the big preview! Hope they show some cool new stuff. Beyond the remaining kits for Stormcast we don't have much of a clue what is coming so should be exciting!

This is what I'm excited for!! We have no idea what Warbands are coming to Underworlds or Warcry, or of any Rumours of substance.

Right now all we know is that Chaos is due a Battletome this year and I highly doubt that's all theyll announce for AOS!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KingBrodd said:

This is what I'm excited for!! We have no idea what Warbands are coming to Underworlds or Warcry, or of any Rumours of substance.

Right now all we know is that Chaos is due a Battletome this year and I highly doubt that's all theyll announce for AOS!!

Well if I am remembering my rumours correctly we are getting Chaos Dwarves just after the Stormcast Drakes and the Hobgrot Wolf riders... 

• Haha 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

7 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

I don't get it is this a limited time model it is so much better than the generic Vampire. Like why the artificial scarcity on models? 

I would willingly pay for certain models but they either were unavailable or I was not collecting the faction at the time. But I could not get that Tournament Exclusive Chaos Lord and would have gladly paid for it. I do not know if I will ever start a death army but this vampire will not be around if I do and it is frustrating. 

The purpose is to get you into GW stores or the GW webstore, with the hope that you'll then start paying 15% more for everything and giving GW more than double the profit they get from selling to a FLGS. It isn't about doing something good for the customer, it's about doing something good for GW's bottom line, especially with them warning investors recently not to expect the same sort of results they've had recently. The "limited" part of it is not really as important as the "only at GW stores/webstore" bit, that's just a little FOMO bonus to get people to do it now, now, now to get the boost in time for the next financial results cycle. It's the same reason they offered that other space marine recently for buying more than 150 quid worth of stuff on the webstore. 

What they are hoping you think is "well, I don't have a death army now...but I might in the future, and then what if I couldn't get this model? better hit buy now or I'll be sorry later!" because that means GW gets 30 quid now, not the possibility of 30 quid a few years down the line. 

Edited by yukishiro1
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

Well if I am remembering my rumours correctly we are getting Chaos Dwarves just after the Stormcast Drakes and the Hobgrot Wolf riders... 

Last I checked the Chaos Dwarfs are called Furnace Kings, have a badass oil-refinery that runs on souls in Shish protected by Chaos Mega-gargants, and trade with the kruleboyz. They are also gonna sell out the moment GW puts them up for preorder.

• LOVE IT! 6

8 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, all the Chorf rumours coming out the same time Hobgrot lore talked about about them just feels like people were making educated guesses and trying to fulfil wishes based on there suddenly being Chaos Dwarf references that're more than a throwaway location on a map.

Similar to how all the "Dawnbringer Crusaders will be CoS 2.0!!!" faux-rumours started only after GW started putting out lore for them. If we'd seen any rumours/leaks emerge before the Dominion/3.0 lore reveals I'd put a lot more stock in them.

The closest thing to reliable we have is what Grimdark Live said, but their reliability - or at least, their 'leaker' - has been called into question by the Hobgrot cavalry claim, so right now I'm erring on the side of their claim that Chorfs are coming being in the educated guess category, same as the Dawnbringer/Malerion rumours. Also Grimdark Live's leaks came out, what, a week before Dominion was revealed anyway? Which does suggest it was more a grunt-on-the-ground who spied the contents than somebody well embedded like the big 40k leaker. 

I still think Chaos Dwarfs will happen eventually - it's an obvious avenue to take in regards to fleshing out Chaos and appealing to nostalgia/memes that GW loves to do these days - but just like 'rumours' have been saying saying Malerion is just around the corner for the last four years I don't think we need to wipe the dust off the Chorf Plastics Savings Account just yet. 

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

About the Dawnbringer Crusade… the main theme is colonialism. Would’nt it be awesome to have far-west themed freeguilds mini’s? You know, with New Pistoleer looking like Cow-Boy with 17’ centurie guns, those kind of things. And the hobgrots on wolves can take the place of Native Americans, that would be awesome! 

probably wishlist but food for next army…

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

45 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, all the Chorf rumours coming out the same time Hobgrot lore talked about about them just feels like people were making educated guesses and trying to fulfil wishes based on there suddenly being Chaos Dwarf references that're more than a throwaway location on a map.

Similar to how all the "Dawnbringer Crusaders will be CoS 2.0!!!" faux-rumours started only after GW started putting out lore for them. If we'd seen any rumours/leaks emerge before the Dominion/3.0 lore reveals I'd put a lot more stock in them.

I still think combined dwarves, chaos dwarves and a Dawnbringer Crusades Cities of Sigmar update are the most likely soon-ish big model releases. Not because of any rumours, though, but just because they have been set up in the fiction. Combined dwarves was rumoured first, and then we saw a bunch of references like "BTW, Grungni is back and he's getting the gang back together", so I think that's fairly credible. If Dispossessed start getting repossessed, then I think it also makes sense to give Cities a new identity, and Dawnbringers have a set-up narrative and even some art of cool new stuff like that huge Steam Tank looking machine. Chaos dwarves could still be a while off, but the amount of references to them definitely seems to have increased lately. I think that's a big difference to how Malerion was handled, where (as far as I know) there was not a lot of mention of him up until very recently in that one Broken Realms story.

We can also take a look at what releases could possibly be supported by rumour engines. Rumour engines are not super reliable when it comes to predicting what new armies are coming, and when, since they can take a while to be solved and many large releases only came with a small amount of rumour engine teases, but still:

Spoiler

Death or Destruction vulture

2021-02-16.jpg

Slaves to Darkness horse

2021-02-23.jpg

Spider knife

2021-03-23.jpg

Crude net

2021-03-30.jpg

Nighthaunt candles

2021-04-06.jpg

Tzeentch staff

2021-04-27.jpg

Wilderness hunter trophy

2021-05-11.jpg

Guy chilling with skull

2021-06-15.jpg

Eagle ornament

2021-07-06.jpg

Metal dwarf chair

2021-07-13.jpg

Carpenter's tools

2021-07-20.jpg

Bat scabbard lion sword

2021-09-14.jpg

London underground skull

2021-09-14.jpg

Nighthaunt boat

2021-09-28.jpg

Treasure box

2021-10-05.jpg

Personally, I see some stuff here that could support mixed dwarves, chorfs and Dawnbringers. Most interestingly, though, there are a few images that seem like they are clearly Nighthaunt related, and some that are generally deathy.

I am fairly sure at this point that the next battletome will not come with a lot of models, which makes me suspect that it will be Nurgle. But I suppose we will see soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rattila said:

About the Dawnbringer Crusade… the main theme is colonialism. Would’nt it be awesome to have far-west themed freeguilds mini’s? You know, with New Pistoleer looking like Cow-Boy with 17’ centurie guns, those kind of things. And the hobgrots on wolves can take the place of Native Americans, that would be awesome! 

probably wishlist but food for next army…

Must admit that sounds pretty great

I think we're seeing the first Underworld models that are truly lost, Beastgrave era sets are not sold seperately on the GW site (for now).

I heard the next starter set would be £65, which is a £15 more than Dreadfane and £25 more than Shadespire/Nightvault, and quite a steep entrance. I worry GW is plugging the easy access faucets to the AoS sphere.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

I think we're seeing the first Underworld models that are truly lost, Beastgrave era sets are not sold seperately on the GW site (for now).

I heard the next starter set would be £65, which is a £15 more than Dreadfane and £25 more than Shadespire/Nightvault, and quite a steep entrance. I worry GW is plugging the easy access faucets to the AoS sphere.

Where are getting £65 from? Over on Dakka, they said it would £60.