The Rumour Thread

47 minutes ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

Is it just me or are some of the names of the Border Prince nobles written in different fonts? It's not just about 'heritage', see much more 'imperial' House of Gastonne (despite the very Bretonnian coat of arms and name!) vs 'bretonnian' Tordorno. Uvetovsk (Kislev?), Ortegeta (Estalia?), Pontenne (--) and Harkon (Vampire Counts?) seem to also be unique fonts or differ from the bretonnian/Empire fonts. Maybe teasing allegiance? Subfactions? Am I over thinking this?

Maybe? Id check the dose of hopium just in case.

Jokes aside, this could very well be an oversight of the people who made this or even just that different princes have different fonts because they are all different nobles from different areas?

53 minutes ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

Is it just me or are some of the names of the Border Prince nobles written in different fonts? It's not just about 'heritage', see much more 'imperial' House of Gastonne (despite the very Bretonnian coat of arms and name!) vs 'bretonnian' Tordorno. Uvetovsk (Kislev?), Ortegeta (Estalia?), Pontenne (--) and Harkon (Vampire Counts?) seem to also be unique fonts or differ from the bretonnian/Empire fonts. Maybe teasing allegiance? Subfactions? Am I over thinking this?

The shields are also different, my guess is to signify which faction they broke apart from.

1 hour ago, Higolx said:

Maybe? Id check the dose of hopium just in case.

Jokes aside, this could very well be an oversight of the people who made this or even just that different princes have different fonts because they are all different nobles from different areas?

I'm going to come off as complete nutter for having done this, but here's the specific different fonts

One is 1:1 Bretonnian and another mimics a 'German' font (I.e, Empire) - that is, the font of Fraktur. It was historically used in Germany so Empire seems an obvious choice due to that and Fantasy-German names.

One based on name and coat of arms is obviously Kislev!

That leaves Ortegeta - based on name and almost cross-like T:s I expect them to be Estalia (Conquistadors, reconquista, inquisitions - in pop cultural history Spain is mostly associated with Christianity). Ortegeta's font evokes 16th century manuscripts as mentioned above, and the star and moon on the coat of arms /could/ reference the religious diversity of Spain before the reconquista and inquisitions.

Harkon's coat of arms features a red grail with two drops of blood falling into it, alongside an unique font - most likely refers to VC

This leaves Tordorno and Aquilena as a mystery faction, but based on names I suspect Tilea. Both do in some way evoke Bretonnian heraldry, Tordorno with the fleur-de-lis and Aquilena mimicking the colour scheme and theme of L'Anguille! I was wrong and Pontenne definitely is Bretonnian font. You and @Loyal Son of Khemri are probably right in it signifies who they split from - but maybe teases two new areas (Tilea, Estalia) and return of Vampires!

1 hour ago, Loyal Son of Khemri said:

The shields are also different, my guess is to signify which faction they broke apart from.

Polish_20211007_212442938.jpg.90a006b70890241093df28cbf18d4bb0.jpg

Edited by Public Universal Duardin
Further elaboration, I'm too deep in this now.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 9

1 hour ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

The article mentions it is a "snapshot" of the BP area, filled with the current nobles who left their homelands behind, so it's safe to say they're alluding to different human kingdoms. If you mean subfaction as in "using models from the main lines in a new supplement book" then yeah, most likely.

12 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

The article mentions it is a "snapshot" of the BP area, filled with the current nobles who left their homelands behind, so it's safe to say they're alluding to different human kingdoms. If you mean subfaction as in "using models from the main lines in a new supplement book" then yeah, most likely.

Heheh yeah, that's exactly what I meant 😁 I.e, to play a Bretonnian noble 'Prince', use Bret models, maybe with some small keyword change/bonus. So despite looking like a Kislev/Empire/Bretonnia army you'd get some rule to differentiate from the 'host army'. Would be very lucrative for GW - as you'd need the rules for whatever miniatures you'd run as BP AND the BP supplement. I'm of course speculating/wishlisting here but that's how I'd do it. Although that would mean Estalia and Tilea would be represented as miniatures too...

11 hours ago, Iksdee said:

Me waiting for Kurnothi rumours like...

meeting-bored.gif

Did we ever have any confirmation from GW that they are thinking about ever rereleasing wood elves in any way shape or form? Ever since they released Qulathis the Exile from Cursed City i at least need a new unit of glade guard lookalikes in my life.

Right there with you!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

That leaves Ortegeta - based on name and almost cross-like T:s I expect them to be Estalia (Conquistadors, reconquista, inquisitions - in pop cultural history Spain is mostly associated with Christianity). Ortegeta's font evokes 16th century manuscripts as mentioned above, and the star and moon on the coat of arms /could/ reference the religious diversity of Spain before the reconquista and inquisitions.

This leaves Tordorno and Aquilena as a mystery faction, but based on names I suspect Tilea. Both do in some way evoke Bretonnian heraldry, Tordorno with the fleur-de-lis and Aquilena mimicking the colour scheme and theme of L'Anguille! I was wrong and Pontenne definitely is Bretonnian font. You and @Loyal Son of Khemri are probably right in it signifies who they split from - but maybe teases two new areas (Tilea, Estalia) and return of Vampires!

Adding my 2 cents of a dude with family with roots in portugal, spain and italy:

I'd bet Ortegeta is based on the Spanish surname Ortega. There's been some cities named ortega too, both in Spain and on ex-spanish colonies. So yeah, most likely Estalia Id say. It would be an interesting oportunity to bring Estalia back as an army (I think th last time they were around as one was fantasy 3rd edition?).

Tordorno and Aquilena sound a lot like made up italian names. Heck, Aquilena is probably someone at GW trying to turn the word aquila into a city or something. By the way the fleur-de-lys is not an exclusive french symbol. It was present in the Duchy of Parma flag, a state created roughly in the 1500s, roughly the reinassance time and during the existance of the holy roman empire so I wouldnt be surprised if thats their historical inspiration? Considering that its on the northern region of Italy, close to France and it got invade by Napoleon I wouldnt be surprised if we end up seeing a Bretonian invasion on that place.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

I'm going to come off as complete nutter for having done this, but here's the specific different fonts

One is 1:1 Bretonnian and another mimics a 'German' font (I.e, Empire) - that is, the font of Fraktur. It was historically used in Germany so Empire seems an obvious choice due to that and Fantasy-German names.

One based on name and coat of arms is obviously Kislev!

Harkon's coat of arms features a red grail with two drops of blood falling into it, alongside an unique font - most likely refers to VC

Polish_20211007_212442938.jpg.90a006b70890241093df28cbf18d4bb0.jpg

Harkon could be related to Luthor Harkon?

• LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

The stromstrike chariot, whose riders are in thunderstrike, belongs to the vanguard auxiliary chamber already.

Are they? I know they are Angelos conclave but so are Prosecutors. I thought they were the Stormstrike equivalent of Prosecutors. Is this info from the new book?

Edit: I also double checked the warscroll. All the Angelos Vanguard troops seem to have the vanguard keyword but the charriot does not. That says to me that they're just angelos conclave. The flavor text also expressly refers to the as angelos conclave so maybe they are not from vanguard chambers? Unless thats a lore bit I dont remember I dont see why they are from a Vanguard chamber.

Edited by Higolx
Extra info after checking warscroll

I need to get the book out and check the map, but the tomb king icon likely marks the tomb from the 2e Whfrp adventure "Lure of the Liche Lord" which is about a Nehekharan mummy hiding in the border princes.

I'll be delighted if Tomb Kings are involved im the old world campaign. If we end up getting both them and Chaos Dwarfs in the space of a few years then those of us who obsessively clamour for the niche discontinued factions will be overjoyed! ( and then promptly have to start obsessing over the return of gitmob grots or something!)

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

I need to get the book out and check the map, but the tomb king icon likely marks the tomb from the 2e Whfrp adventure "Lure of the Liche Lord" which is about a Nehekharan mummy hiding in the border princes.

I'll be delighted if Tomb Kings are involved im the old world campaign. If we end up getting both them and Chaos Dwarfs in the space of a few years then those of us who obsessively clamour for the niche discontinued factions will be overjoyed! ( and then promptly have to start obsessing over the return of gitmob grots or something!)

This might be a hot take, but I think a re-released Tomb Kings faction might turn out not to be niche anymore. Maybe it's my bias, but basically everyone I see who want to get into tabletop Warhammer from Total War talks about how sad they are that they can't play Tomb Kings. Finally having a game where they are actually good seems to have done wonders for their popularity.

Personally, I even think they would fill a thematic niche in AoS. They embody the sad, solemn and grave side of Death in a way that other Death factions currently don't. You get a bit of it in Nighthaunt, but they even though they are the Legion of Grief, they lean more spooky than sad. Tomb Kings have an aesthetic of long-lost, fading glory and splendor that is not really found anywhere else.

• Like 1

It is obvious there is a demand fit things like bretonia and tomb kings. Just look at the prices on eBay and the thriving 3rd party industry around them.

It took a long while to build the whole world as an iconic place, and AoS is still riding the nostalgia from those times. Throwing away all that capital seemed like a very stupid move to me and GW is backpedaling big time. 

Good, now give me my kurnothi, deep sea monsters, and heartless capitalists infernal dwarfs. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

51 minutes ago, Starfyre said:

I think if it was obvious there was a demand for tomb kings and Bretonnia, they wouldn’t have been cut from the range to begin with. Things like the necrosphinx and tomb guard being cut despite being relatively new kits only highlights this further IMO. 

True, but the point Neil is making isn't so much that they were more popular than they seemed five years ago. Rather its that their popularity has actually improved in the years since they have been gone.

I think this is likely true, and that there are a few reasons. Clearly total war has made a lot of those old world factions very popular with an audience who wasn't really aware of them during 8th edition. Nostalgia is also a thing, and I think Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that. There will be people who always thought "I'll play tomb kings, some day" or "as soon as they replace the derpy skeleton warriors and make everything the same quality as the snakes I'm in!" Those people never got that chance, so if it comes back will likely jump on it.

Even as a solid collector of Tomb Kings before hand, I feel my appreciation for them increased when it was clear they were going away. They were always in my top three factions, but that last scramble to finish my collection really pushed them to the number one spot, and they kind of remain there to this day. Some of that is wanting to be a bit maverick and have a dead faction as my favourite, as I joked in my first post. But also, their squatting makes them this rare and valuable thing, which wasn't true when they were on the shelf.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Starfyre said:

I think if it was obvious there was a demand for tomb kings and Bretonnia, they wouldn’t have been cut from the range to begin with. Things like the necrosphinx and tomb guard being cut despite being relatively new kits only highlights this further IMO. 

Didn't roundtree famously brag that they didnt do market research?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Red King said:

Didn't roundtree famously brag that they didnt do market research?

he did indeed.  IT was Kirby

21 hours ago, Higolx said:

Adding my 2 cents of a dude with family with roots in portugal, spain and italy:

I'd bet Ortegeta is based on the Spanish surname Ortega. There's been some cities named ortega too, both in Spain and on ex-spanish colonies. So yeah, most likely Estalia Id say. It would be an interesting oportunity to bring Estalia back as an army (I think th last time they were around as one was fantasy 3rd edition?).

Yup, but they still were pretty much in the background rather than an army in their own right.  The Estalia and Tilea were famous in the old world for their mercenaries, of which one famous band was double crossed by the border princes:

http://www.solegends.com/citrr/3rr2nightmare/index.htm

Edited by Kaleb Daark
not rowntree. I meant Kirby.