The Rumour Thread

25 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

I wold hate to see a Space Marine treatment, but Lord Commander Bastian Carthalos is such a fantastic model. I was hoping for more like him but filling different roles. But I guess I hadn't considered that it would bleed over into the weird subdivisions based on colour schemes. I also wish every named character had an unnamed equivalent ruleswise for people who want to develop their own lore 😕

The sad part is there is probably more than enough named characters already but they made them all boring Hammers of Sigmar already.

I wouldt mind a unnamed version of Lord Commanders but I think it would be a little too much if all the main stormhosts got their own unique model with unique rules. One of the biggest problems with space marines is the amount of characters and unique units they have to launch since they're so "different". Just look at the black templars. They are almost as big as some smaller AoS armies and those models are just usable for the black templars. Same thing with Blood Angels and Space Wolves. Heck, even the iron hands wich are one of the more forgotten chapters and dont have a full on suplement have a unique unit in the form of the Iron Father. Sure, they got a book by the end of 8th but every single bigger space marine chapter got one (wich just proves the point).

And yeah, sadly almost all the named characterd are on Hammers. The only non Hammers character with a mini I can remember is Gardus and his mini was only made bacuse the books sold well. I really hope gw spread the characters more on future releases.

1 hour ago, Neverchosen said:

The sad part is there is probably more than enough named characters already but they made them all boring Hammers of Sigmar already.

Yeah I get that. I just play Skaven, cities, and beasts, so when I see all the cool named characters for a faction that have as many models as some grand alliances "man I wish theyd make another version of all of those." Is pretty far down my list of thoughts lol

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Higolx said:

I wouldt mind a unnamed version of Lord Commanders but I think it would be a little too much if all the main stormhosts got their own unique model with unique rules. One of the biggest problems with space marines is the amount of characters and unique units they have to launch since they're so "different". Just look at the black templars. They are almost as big as some smaller AoS armies and those models are just usable for the black templars. Same thing with Blood Angels and Space Wolves. Heck, even the iron hands wich are one of the more forgotten chapters and dont have a full on suplement have a unique unit in the form of the Iron Father. Sure, they got a book by the end of 8th but every single bigger space marine chapter got one (wich just proves the point).

And yeah, sadly almost all the named characterd are on Hammers. The only non Hammers character with a mini I can remember is Gardus and his mini was only made bacuse the books sold well. I really hope gw spread the characters more on future releases.

Imo, I like what GW did with Space Marines. My only issue with them is the quantity of their releases, not the background and fluff that we see on their kits. Naming a character makes that hero to be more beliable, at least for me.

They don't even need to make new unique troop models, they can just tweak a warscroll in any supplement/White Dwarf and call it a day

5 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

Are we likely to get the Lord-Commanders for the other Stormhosts and do we have any info on any of them? I feel like narratively and in terms of Sculpt they would be easier to implement than the Primarchs in 40k.

Not sure about that. If there is only one for each stormhost, I think that they should be unique.

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Higolx said:

Technically the Underworld minis are named Stormcast in various flavours, but they are also close to unusable.

I really hope GW doesn't take any cues from space marines for stormcast. There's more difference between each stormhost than between colours of space marines. I consider any design time spent on them wasted, when an upgrade sprue and paint job gets an almost identical effect.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

Are we likely to get the Lord-Commanders for the other Stormhosts and do we have any info on any of them? I feel like narratively and in terms of Sculpt they would be easier to implement than the Primarchs in 40k.

I was really hopeful Bastion could be run somehow as a generic version. I'm alright for individual Lord Commanders for each host but they've done generic versions before. Hey ho...

17 hours ago, sandlemad said:

Speaking as someone who doesn't play at all competitively, Rivals is basically just a formalisation of how this game gets played with folks from a board game background; pre-made decks, who cares about rotation. Treated that way it's genuinely a fantastic game, possibly GW's best-written, if one that is lately straining against the limits of giving each warband a unique angle.

This is exactly why i am so hyped about this version of Underworlds. This allows me to play the way i wanted to play this game all along. Just pick a warband and the deck that comes with it and play it as a boardgame. The knowledge that it is supported now makes me want to invest some more money on different warbands of armies i dont own yet. This allows me to invest some time painting minis and still play a fun game with the people i play boardgames with without having to worry about models/rules getting dropped every year.

I can now just let them pick the warband they like and play the game whenever i want to without other people having to invest the the hobby. I know for sure they are never going to spend any money on buying minis and paint but they do like playing card/boardgames. I think this is a good move on gw's part for the more casual gamers.

Edited by Iksdee
  • Like 4

I really don't know if making models and rules for a Lord Commander was really a good idea. I mean Bastian Carthalos is basicly the AoS equivalent of Roboute Guilliman from 40k. Someone who lead an entire legion of Space Marines.

I mean even the Lord Imperatant we got with the third edition would lead multiple chambers, so we won't even be sure if a Lord Commander would even lead something like for example the Heldenhammer Crusade or if this would have been lead by a Lord Imperatant instead (and back then those ranks didn't even exist or at least weren't known).

1 Strike Chamber normally has between 150-300 members (if we are building a warrior chamber with minimum size units we already would have around 120 models and a amount of 5000 points and than a model like the Lord Commander, that would lead most likely 50000+ points, are taken in a 2000 Point army (let's not begin with literal gods) 🤢.

1 hour ago, Beliman said:

Imo, I like what GW did with Space Marines. My only issue with them is the quantity of their releases, not the background and fluff that we see on their kits. Naming a character makes that hero to be more beliable, at least for me.

I don't know. Named Charakters normally only exist once in the mortal realms (or the 40k universe), so having named charakters with rules in the game most of the time is immersionbreaking because they are used way too often if they are strong. I mean, look in the soulblight thread. Looking at the last 10 pages their was only one listpost that had no named charakters, the rest at least had one or even more (and those that are taken are also leaders of entire dynasties or even legions).

I remember the time during the Realmgate Wars where we had two warscrolls (Lord Celestant and Lord Celestant on Dracoth) and in the lore dozens of characters based on those two models in the game. In the lore they had a name, but no rules (and they had more lore than many of the named ones with specific models).

It would make more sense to make more generic characters with more options instead of making more one of a kind models especially if those named charakters are so stupidly high ranked that you normally wouldn't see those at the battlefield at all (they are basicly collector models).

Edited by EMMachine

I personally love named characters. Give us the dual builds we've been seeing with Kruelboyz to make a named character and unnamed version, best of both worlds.

After having the Celestant Prime, Yndastra and now the Hammers of Sigmar leader it makes me feel that having an Overtyrant or Frost King is no longer off the table. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EMMachine said:

I don't know. Named Charakters normally only exist once in the mortal realms (or the 40k universe), so having named charakters with rules in the game most of the time is immersionbreaking because they are used way too often if they are strong. I mean, look in the soulblight thread. Looking at the last 10 pages their was only one listpost that had no named charakters, the rest at least had one or even more (and those that are taken are also leaders of entire dynasties or even legions).

Agree, but that's not their fault.

Look at Brokk, he never touched any table since... 3 years maybe? And then, look at Gotrek, it seems that he works for ALL Order now. So, power-level is something that can go right or wrong, so don't give any weight to that.

About immersionbreaking, I don't have any problem with that, even with mirror matches. We are playing a game and I know that sometimes it will be edgy cases (Hammers of Sigmar vs Hammers of Sigmar or worst, Gotrek vs Gotrek).

We always have narrative games to try to minimize that, but to me at least, named characters give more depth to the background of an army, maybe not your list, but the whole faction.

There has to be something in 40K that fits this. It can't be AOS, right?

I love named characters as well. I think it makes the army surrounding them more relatable and more narrative. I wish Daughters of Khaine had more than just Morathi and Morghwaeth. 

30 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

i4wqa7Qrt8RK14KB.jpg.a65d01c4b8ac97c075a1af4488aa77b3.jpg

I think it is an Ogor. A new Maneater or something like that.

17 minutes ago, madmac said:

That is almost certainly a Maneater. Notice the cloth is very worn, typical for Ogors, and no human has that much junk in the trunk, as it were.

2 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

It's where my mind went, too. The oger paymaster is a classic sculpt, after all:

99810213013_ManeaterPaymasterNEW01.jpg

Although I can't quite figure out what body part we are looking at here.

DRINK UP ME HEARTIES YO HO!! Ogor Maneater Pirate Warband!! I havent been as excited for a Rumour Engine since the Gatebreakers flail!!

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

53 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

i4wqa7Qrt8RK14KB.jpg.a65d01c4b8ac97c075a1af4488aa77b3.jpg

I think it is an Ogor. A new Maneater or something like that.

I do not think it is an ogor because of this rumour engine:

image.png.05d4eb8b8100de39001dccb8c1f66864.png

The iconography looks very nighthaunt and this looks very much like the stem of a ship of some kind. 

image.png.05d3f60d1c220c23589a81138874b6ec.png

I think we got ghost ships inbound.

• LOVE IT! 3

3 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Why not a pirate Ogor vs Ghost Ship battlebox?

What if it has something to do with the Whitefang picture. Could be Firebellies vs Nighhaunt ships!

(i do remember hints towards deepkin)

Edited by Iksdee
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

I do not think it is an ogor because of this rumour engine:

image.png.05d4eb8b8100de39001dccb8c1f66864.png

The iconography looks very nighthaunt and this looks very much like the stem of a ship of some kind. 

image.png.05d3f60d1c220c23589a81138874b6ec.png

I think we got ghost ships inbound.

Not a bad call. That hole in the cloth in the Rumour Engine is also a design element of Death/Nighthaunt/Gravelords. However, Ogor pirates and ghost ships would both be dope, so I'm fine with it in any case.