The Rumour Thread

I’m on the opinion that the faction core battalions are fine, simply because the effects are the same, the composition is just intended to be more flavoursome. No bother there, it’s not balance shattering at all.

However - I’m definitely not buying anything that doesn’t have a 3rd ed battletome. The fact that there are so many erratas, warscrolls in books all over the place and now the addition of wd content means I’ll wait for it to be printed properly in one book.

and then look forward to the errata to that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neverchosen said:

Is there a reason you don't think that the October book will have a big release of models? I am inclined to agree but it is strange that you pointed this out and it made me realize I really have no justification for feeling this way beyond a lack of rumours/previews.

Like others have said, there 40k release schedule seems too packed.

Also, historically, there are actually not that many big model waves per year. This year already had Slaanesh, Lumineth, Soulblight, Stormcast and Orruks. I find it unlikely that there will be another model release that is bigger than, like, one hero and a unit soon after.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

my-image.png.b9d15959a8831cbe0706f36140a868a3.png

I'd love to repeat once again my point of: Dire need for a new Battletome does not equal higher likeliness of a new tome. 

GW designs stuff a long time prior to any releases and reasons like popularity within sales top over bad balance in current meta.

Thus being said we only know that Nurgle, Khorne, Slaanesh, Tzeentch, S2D, BoC and Skaven are in the inner bracket for a new tome. The Tome Celestial in the WD is not confirmed to be related to Tome release shedule, thus a S2D release is still on a table although less likely. Also we have 2-3 Rumor Engines of S2D looking Models around if I recall correctly.  

Considering how Tome 1-3 are each from a different Allegiance, assuming that Death will be the 4th book sounds reasonable. We have also a lot of Death themed rumor engines which would make a release paired with new models arguable. FEC, Nighthaunt and Soulblight seem potential candidates. The current Soulblight Tome is written for 2.0 which is clear since the first 3.0 books were released. Looking at LRL a second Soulblight Wave isn't that unlikely at all. The only thing that can be argued against SBGL is the fact that new kits would require a repackaging for 3.0, but this is a weak argument as the new boxes have to be printed anyway.

What will follow is unclear. GW most likely won't follow a pattern of Allegiance after Allegiance, so assuming Order/Destruction afterwards is a very weak guess. Maybe GW will step up the release pace like we saw it in 2.0. If we interpreted @Whitefang correctly there may be a new double faction box which maybe is tied to new battletomes (like with Skaven & FEC, Ogors & OBR althrough I am not sure if Sylvaneth & GSG match the pattern).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Acrozatarim said:

I'd put IDK as likely; they're a very old tome and limited range.

38 minutes ago, novakai said:

Also our credible source of rumor here indicate that the release  after the chaos tome is going to IDK vs Fyreslayer box ( maybe around the time Aether War happen) and probably books for them soon afterward.

Fair enough, that should probably be adjusted in due to the super-recent rumours. I don't remember if battle boxes always mean updated tomes, but it would make sense.

17 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Like others have said, there 40k release schedule seems too packed.

Also, historically, there are actually not that many big model waves per year. This year already had Slaanesh, Lumineth, Soulblight, Stormcast and Orruks. I find it unlikely that there will be another model release that is bigger than, like, one hero and a unit soon after.

Thanks, I do not typically follow 40k rumours and release schedules. I do get wind of them but did not realize they were mostly occurring alongside the AOS Chaos tome. For my own part I just assumed it would be Beasts or Maggotkin due to the longevity from their last release. 

I could see Nighthaunt getting a new Battletome in the near future, similar to how Death Guard - the bad guys of the previous edition - also got one relatively quickly (delays not withstanding). They also got a new model in Broken Realms which I think GW would want to consolidate plus that new rumor engine...

Honestly wouldn't be surprised to not see Dragons this side of Christmas. Heavy Intercessors were highly anticipated and didn't release until six months later...

Edited by Magnusaur
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Charleston said:

I'd love to repeat once again my point of: Dire need for a new Battletome does not equal higher likeliness of a new tome. 

GW designs stuff a long time prior to any releases and reasons like popularity within sales top over bad balance in current meta.

I fully expect the main timing decisions to be due to sales considerations, but I think there is some evidence that game balance gets taken into account on some level. Case in point: White Dwarf Tome Celestial and Broken Realms rules updates. The factions that received those seem to fairly clearly have been selected for mechanical reasons.

To my mind, it's a balance of considerations that determine timing. Those decision have to be made a long time in advance, that is true. At least for model-heavy releases it's definitely the case. For book only releases, it's not that clear how much lead-up they need, there might be room to shuffle them around if they don't come with a big model release. If the rules designers are in those meetings at all, I can see a world where the compatibility of a battletome with the current or planned line up is one factor that gets considered, especially since really bad rules definitely affect model sales, as well. If I was a rules designer, I would have been pushing for a revamp of the Beasts and Gitz tomes for at least two years at this point, so I consider the time frame plausible.

27 minutes ago, Charleston said:

The Tome Celestial in the WD is not confirmed to be related to Tome release shedule, thus a S2D release is still on a table although less likely. Also we have 2-3 Rumor Engines of S2D looking Models around if I recall correctly.  

I think taking WD tomes celestial updates that make factions 3.0 compatible as a evidence that their battletome is far off is a fair assumption. At least to me that seems to be the function of those monthly patches, to get every faction up to date in terms of 3.0 specific mechanics more quickly. I expect not every faction to get a 3.0 book, actually. I suspect some will only ever get a tome celestial update this edition.

As for rumour engines, there are some very old S2D looking ones, but the fact that they are so old kind of make me think they are for anniversary or side game models that have been delayed.

33 minutes ago, Charleston said:

Considering how Tome 1-3 are each from a different Allegiance, assuming that Death will be the 4th book sounds reasonable. We have also a lot of Death themed rumor engines which would make a release paired with new models arguable. FEC, Nighthaunt and Soulblight seem potential candidates. The current Soulblight Tome is written for 2.0 which is clear since the first 3.0 books were released. Looking at LRL a second Soulblight Wave isn't that unlikely at all. The only thing that can be argued against SBGL is the fact that new kits would require a repackaging for 3.0, but this is a weak argument as the new boxes have to be printed anyway.

This is another reasonable guess. They released one tome of each GA at the start of 2nd, too. Although we just got done with Gravelords in april, so maybe jumping straight back to another Destruction (main villain this edition) or Order (largest number of armies) would be pretty reasonable as well. As for the possibility of a Lumineth-style Soulblight second wave, you definitely can't rule it out completely, but Lumineth is definitely the outlier so far. I think a second wave at Hedonites timing, so ~1.5 years from now, would be more likely.

To be clear, what I consider in my ranking is the current likelihood of any of those faction getting a release in within the next, like, 3 tomes. And that likelihood is going to change a lot depending on what happens next: For example, if Nurgle now gets a battletome, I would predict the next Beasts of Chaos battletome to be at least half a year away, not anywhere near the top anymore. Or if Dwarves is next after the Chaos tome, I think that puts Cities/Dawnbringers a lot further down the line, as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Magnusaur said:

I could see Nighthaunt getting a new Battletome in the near future, similar to how Death Guard - the bad guys of the previous edition - also got one relatively quickly (delays not withstanding). They also got a new model in Broken Realms which I think GW would want to consolidate plus that new rumor engine...

Honestly wouldn't be surprised to not see Dragons this side of Christmas. Heavy Intercessors were highly anticipated and didn't release until six months later...

Boy I hope GW don’t do another Eradicator vs Flay one kill team box that was utterly terrible value box

imagine if they release a Warcry box with the multi part boltboyz versus either Annihilator or the bow/sword dudes before they did the separate box release for them, oh the salt.

• Sad 1

I do think Whitefang was hinting at Idoneth vs Fyreslayers. 

1) Ages ago I mentioned the idea of a Nurgle vs Idoneth box and he said "choose your opponent.

2) I specifically asked him for a reason to feel hyped and I'm a well known Idoneth simp.

3) He posted about their being precedent for a same grand alliance vs grand alliance battlebox.

4) He reacted to posts about Fyreslayers getting a foot hero.

5) He told me to be less pessimistic about GW hating Idoneth.

To me an Idoneth vs Fyreslayers box does make sense. As they are both relatively older tomes, didn't receive any new units (i know slayers got some terrain and spells) in 2nd and have yet to appear in a battlebox.

It's also reasonable to think GW likes the pattern of releasing new models in battleboxes accompanied by books as this has been used for 40k 9th as well as AoS 2nd.

• Like 17

8 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

1) Ages ago I mentioned the idea of a Nurgle vs Idoneth box and he said "choose your opponent.

2) I specifically asked him for a reason to feel hyped and I'm a well known Idoneth simp.

3) He posted about their being precedent for a same grand alliance vs grand alliance battlebox.

To me an Idoneth vs Fyreslayers box does make sense. As they are both relatively older tomes, didn't receive any new units (i know slayers got some terrain and spells) in 2nd and have yet to appear in a battlebox.

It's also reasonable to think GW likes the pattern of releasing new models in battleboxes accompanied by books as this has been used for 40k 9th as well as AoS 2nd.

image.png.4de1b96be68d6119901799dec159d61f.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 31

1 hour ago, HollowHills said:

What I fear is a hexfire sort of treatment. No new models except for some foot hero.

I'd like to see more sea monsters / creatures.

I think it is pretty safe to assume the dawi will get some love soon anyway, but what about the finboys

• LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, HollowHills said:

I can feel my heart sinking as I am running low on my c✴️pium reserves and the fire meaning "Fyreslayers" rather than "the mighty forges of Hashut" means even longer wait until I can fondle a Chorf miniature in the darkness of the damp cavern I inhabit. "My preciousss...we needsss it~ Gollum! Gollum!"

I mean, I like my Kruleboyz - but they don't feel "mine", you know? Am I the only one who feels this way?

All that said, I'm really happy if you're finally getting more IDK. They deserve some love.

• Like 2

This is why I hate this hobby, I have bought into Dominion because it got me a healthy number of SCE and I gifted the Orruks to my Cousin. Now I am regretting it because bubble boys and fire friends would have been even cooler 😢

But still SCE is the cheapest army and I need to save some money in case Slaves to Darkness gets Beasts or Furnace Kings... or scariest of all both! 

• Like 1

I'd sooner see Furnace kings vs Idoneth.

Fyreslayers are going to be tacked to Kharadron, a seperate box would be weird.

There might be precedence for ga internal stuff, but it's rare.

If Idoneth aren't selling stellarly, putting them together with notoriously poor selling Fyreslayers doesn't have a good chance of shifting boxes.

Furnaces are also somewhat related to fire.

Furnace kings could fit the Hobgrot's Dark Masters.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

If Idoneth aren't selling stellarly, putting them together with notoriously poor selling Fyreslayers doesn't have a good chance of shifting boxes.

The thing is I don’t think there is a new AoS army coming out anytime soon and these quick battle boxes are quite normal release that GW does to update books faster when edition comes out. I would expect a battle box to come out pretty soon since the last one for AoS was shadow and pain which was last November

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

That would be super cool, but I feel like Fyreslayers is probably more likely than Chorfs.