The Rumour Thread

17 hours ago, Klamm said:

A flying ghost ship would rule, it would be great to get to the point where you have speciality flying naval combat game. Kharadron Overlords, Nighaunt, Skaven and Grotbag Scuttlers duking it out in the skies.

On another note, I'm guessing this natfka post has been discussed already but this snippet really surprised me:

image.png.09cf50caf0286c4ae9861c03beddeee7.png

IDK the worst selling army? I'd have bet anything it would be Fyreslayers, I always assumed Deepkin sold solidly. 

This isn't a general thing. Genestealers go reasonably in the two stores I frequent, but Eldar don't. I was even tempted to get their start collecting. There are players using Harlequins, but they don't have a reason to buy the same box again.

Note the "probs" before deepkin, I guess they forgot about fyreslayers and webstore only factions.

1 hour ago, zilberfrid said:

This isn't a general thing. Genestealers go reasonably in the two stores I frequent, but Eldar don't. I was even tempted to get their start collecting. There are players using Harlequins, but they don't have a reason to buy the same box again.

Note the "probs" before deepkin, I guess they forgot about fyreslayers and webstore only factions.

I feel like 40k has the issue of neglected factions not selling as well. Like even with Craftworlds getting new banshees most of their stuff is still ancient.

Plus I think there is a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy that you want to play an army that gets rules and model support so a lot pick imperial, then imperial sells best so they get more support.

I always hoped in AoS you would see relatively even support for all the armies. Thus far this seems to be true.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, RetconnedLegion said:

I’d be surprised, Dreadfleet wasn’t a great seller.

I feel like part of the problem is at least half the factions weren’t represented in the game, so if you were one of the unlucky factions then there was nothing to draw you in ( I was purely a Lizardmen player back in those days, and although I liked the game, without lizardmen I had no reason to buy it)

17 hours ago, HollowHills said:

Yeah this is true, but that 2k list probably cost about the same as any 2k list for Idoneth money wise. 

To be honest I hope they don't change too much with the warscrolls as Idoneth are quite well balanced at the moment. 

I'd like to see Morrsarr go down in cost a bit. I think 170 is probably fair in the current edition. 195 makes them hard to justify.

Morrsarr Guard spent so long being undercosted, I think it’s only fair they stay overcosted for a while 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Joseph Mackay said:

I feel like part of the problem is at least half the factions weren’t represented in the game, so if you were one of the unlucky factions then there was nothing to draw you in ( I was purely a Lizardmen player back in those days, and although I liked the game, without lizardmen I had no reason to buy it)

I think the actual issue was a lot of people wanted Man O War but got a cool board game. I enjoyed Dreadfleet but I don’t play board games enough to warrant keeping a copy. 

Anyway, back to rumours….

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

I think the actual issue was a lot of people wanted Man O War but got a cool board game. I enjoyed Dreadfleet but I don’t play board games enough to warrant keeping a copy. 

Anyway, back to rumours….

I'd buy AoS Dreadfleet instantly... Like leaving AoS and Malifaux for a long while to play naval battles in AoS.

• Like 1

Right, so let me get this straight - GW saw that having faction battalions became unbalanced and unwieldy in the second edition, so for third they (essentially) got rid of all the faction battalions in favour of generic core battalions...

And then two months later they go straight back to releasing faction battalions? What's the logic behind that I wonder

• Thanks 5

11 minutes ago, DoctorPerils said:

Right, so let me get this straight - GW saw that having faction battalions became unbalanced and unwieldy in the second edition, so for third they (essentially) got rid of all the faction battalions in favour of generic core battalions...

And then two months later they go straight back to releasing faction battalions? What's the logic behind that I wonder

It's the natural cycle of balance and unbalance in action. A bit quick this time.

6 minutes ago, DoctorPerils said:

I do think it's silly in all honesty, but to give them credit, the new faction core battalions don't really do anything different to the general core battalions, they just achieve the way you get it differently.

It is different to warscroll battalions as you could have one with the effect "once per battle in the hero phase, add 1 to bravery of a single unit in this battalion for that hero phase" contending with "teleport any number of units from this battalion anywhere on the board, more than 3" out of enemy models". The difference could be massive, which did cause haves and have nots (but personally I really liked Warscroll Battalions and would have liked them to remain in matched play with a rework).

The new core battalions are just different formations to get the same effects.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, DoctorPerils said:

I don't really think it's the best design choice, either, but at least so far the new core battalions just allow an army to get the same bonuses everyone can get in a different way. They have been pretty conservative with it, to their credit, but at the same time that makes these new core battalions very unexciting.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Enoby said:

I do think it's silly in all honesty, but to give them credit, the new faction core battalions don't really do anything different to the general core battalions, they just achieve the way you get it differently.

It is different to warscroll battalions as you could have one with the effect "once per battle in the hero phase, add 1 to bravery of a single unit in this battalion for that hero phase" contending with "teleport any number of units from this battalion anywhere on the board, more than 3" out of enemy models". The difference could be massive, which did cause haves and have nots (but personally I really liked Warscroll Battalions and would have liked them to remain in matched play with a rework).

The new core battalions are just different formations to get the same effects.

I never found that a convincing argument against warscroll battalions, tbh. There was only a bare handful of battalions that were even taken primarily for their special ability, and that tiny number of warscrolls could be nerfed as easily as anything else. The real have vs have nots was that some armies could trivially one or two drop with battalions and others couldn't, and they didn't really fix that problem at all going into 3rd.

Conversely, battalions were used pretty heavily throughout 2nd edition to make less-powerful unit options more appealing, and losing that has been a huge blow to list building in the new edition. There's even less reason than before to take anything but the strongest units for a lot of armies, and that's a shame.

• Like 1

Next WD got tome celestial for Seraphon. Update sounds very minor like the STD one last time. A new core battalion and changing a largely pointless rule for coalesced seraphon and not much else. Not sure why these things could not have been in the FAQ's, it just creates problems and clutter having official matched play updates in white dwarf... Come on GW you just launched a new app and subscription service...

image.png.40ef1d62a26fa9db51fe6592e976a468.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OK, "Will they get a new book soon?" tier list:

my-image.png.b9d15959a8831cbe0706f36140a868a3.png

Here's my reasoning on those:

Most likely:

We know the next book will be a Chaos battletome. I think it's overwhelmingly likely that it will be either Nurgle or Beasts. Nurgle because it's the oldest book, Beasts because... you know. Out of those two, I am leaning Nurgle because they could be a battletome-only release, while Beasts definitely need new models.

After that, the most concrete rumour we have is a combined Dwarf book. I think it's fairly likely that this will be the next tome after Beasts/Nurgle.

Likely:

Dawnbringer Crusades have fairly explicitly broadcast that there are things in store for Cities of Sigmar, and recent rumour engines have also been pointing in that direction.

Khorne is the next oldest Chaos book after Nurgle. The faction really needs a rules revamp and has been for a while. The book's design feels kind of outdated, too. Could be a small-scale release, as well, which in my mind makes it more likely.

The Gloomspite Gitz battletome was never really all that functional and probably has some of the worst outdated design of any tome. They are the oldest Destruction book, as well.

Unsurprising:

Ogors are always a fan-favourite, but their book is still fairly recent and performs quite well. I suspect they will get a book before too long, but it should probably come with a somewhat extensive model release because they didn't get one last time and still have way too many old finecast models.

Skaven are in a similar boat to Ogors, in that they are popular and have a lot of old models. There was a rumour of that one japanese store clearing out their inventory of Stormcast, Orruk, Cities and Skaven books, so that might point to the possibility of a skaven release, but I personally don't think the october book will come with a lot of models, which Skaven definitely would want.

The three Death battletomes that are not Gravelords all have solid reasons to be updated at some point in the medium-term. OBR are a small range that could do well with even a small expansion and while their rules function decently enough right now, they would definitely appreciate a rules update to make them fully 3.0 compatible. Nighthaunt have a big range, but they are currently fairly underpowered and could really use a new tome. Flesh Eater Courts have the oldest book and range of all three. Of those three, Nighthaunt and FEC are probably more likely right now than OBR to get a book, because there are rumour engines that match those factions already out. But I would not be surprised if OBR jumps the queue anyway.

Not expected:

Tzeentch still has a strong, fairly new battletome and they have a solid model range as well. No real reason they would be updated.

IDK just got a bunch of patches in Broken Realms. I think they are in a solid enough place. Although, thinking about it, maybe they should be higher, due to a certain lava-flowing-into-the-sea image shared recently.

As much as Sylvaneth have been suffering from their battletome and the recent update shennenigans, I think their next battletome is still some time off. They just recently got a new model in Broken Realms and got some attention (for better or worse) in the FAQs. I don't see them as prime candidates for a new tome right now.

Not getting a book:

Stormcast and Warclans just got their books.

Sons of Behemat, Slaves to Darkness and now Seraphon have been receiving White Dwarf updates, which I take to be definitive evidence that a new book is not in the cards any time soon.

Lumineth and Hedonites just had big releases, both of which came on the heels of other big releases for those factions not too long prior to that.

DoK and Soulblight are still to recent to be considered for a new book, unless GW pulls a Lumineth again.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I personally don't think the october book will come with a lot of models, which Skaven definitely would want.

Is there a reason you don't think that the October book will have a big release of models? I am inclined to agree but it is strange that you pointed this out and it made me realize I really have no justification for feeling this way beyond a lack of rumours/previews.

11 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

Is there a reason you don't think that the October book will have a big release of models? I am inclined to agree but it is strange that you pointed this out and it made me realize I really have no justification for feeling this way beyond a lack of rumours/previews.

October slot is packed with 40k stuff from very legitimate rumors. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Also our credible source of rumor here indicate that the release  after the chaos tome is going to IDK vs Fyreslayer box ( maybe around the time Aether War happen) and probably books for them soon afterward.

but I am of the opinion GW release tome base on which one they happen to finish up first not generally which one need one the most. Like how Seraphon was one of the oldest 1st edition books and was like the last one to get a 2nd edition tome in the end

Edited by novakai