The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, HollowHills said:

Honestly, I don't know if this was just a troll meme or if it's true.

When Idoneth came out there was a lot of backlash from online trolls and WHFB players. People were unhappy with the whole "flying shark" meme.

After this alleged "leakers" on 4chan claimed they had sold poorly.

This could be untrue because Idoneth have generally had good representation at events, largely due to being a top tier army for most of their history and seem to be middle of the pack for popularity on general polls.

We also know that GW profits were very good in 2018 and that the strategy of releasing new armies has continued from them on.

It could be true because anecdotally I'm the only Idoneth player in my local scene and I don't see a ton of interest in them online. 

GW also didn't provide them with a 2nd edition book or model release, so maybe they are lower priority.

Personally I would like to see all smaller Aos factions get new units to bring up their overall roster and diversity a bit. Basically Lumineth wave 2 for everyone.

I mean Nurgle is in the same boat and it wasn’t because they are a low selling army, pushing your bias aside, I think GW point of view was their first books where considered 2nd edition books despite people saying they are not. And it would have been the norm for them to wait for their 3rd edition

also LRL didn’t get a second wave they just got the rest of their first wave 8 months later because GW was trying a different approach of releasing a new army. They did this with Sister and GSG in 40K just with better timing. Most army at least in 40K in general wait until 6 to 9 year get a new wave unless your SM or a fan favorite like CSM or Orks

23 minutes ago, novakai said:

I mean Nurgle is in the same boat and it wasn’t because they are a low selling army, pushing your bias aside, I think GW point of view was their first books where considered 2nd edition books despite people saying they are not. And it would have been the norm for them to wait for their 3rd edition

also LRL didn’t get a second wave they just got the rest of their first wave 8 months later because GW was trying a different approach of releasing a new army. They did this with Sister and GSG in 40K just with better timing. Most army at least in 40K in general wait until 6 to 9 year get a new wave unless your SM or a fan favorite like CSM or Orks

Again, putting my bias aside, I do feel that compared to 40k we have too many armies with a low unit roster.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Unsurprisingly, would love a new Idoneth wave. Easily my favorite of GW's concepts with AoS, kind of like Dark Elves that make more sense (flying sharks aside). Wasn't terribly happy with Guymer's novel, which is a shame because I generally quite like his work, but would love to see more models and attendant background. 

I guess for rumor, Warhammer stores where told that if you where hosting a Warcry event this month that they push back their event until next month (October) after GW does their full reveal of Red Harvest. Meaning the warcry stuff maybe reveal sooner then anticipated but looks to be a just a catacomb style box release

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, HollowHills said:

The only thing I can add to this, which is incredibly flimsy "evidence" (if you can even call it that), is I think when GW was doing that "show us your units for each AoS army", Idoneth had the second or third lowest number of comments showing the army after Fyreslayers.

It's not good evidence, but it might lend credence to the rumour - that said, I don't think Facebook really accounts for the full customer base.

I hope Idoneth have done well, and that they get more :)

6 hours ago, Snorri Nelriksson said:

How could people say that Hashut,Father of darkness, isn't a true chaos god?Preposterous!
TBH i could see more a Chorf vs Idoneth than Fyre vs Idoneth as "same GA conflict boxes" are not a thing for now.
Unless the fire is Khorne perhaps?I could see something like that,he needs perhaps just Khorngors and a new hero,while Idoneth needs more things.
About Idoneth as poor selling army: idk considering the aos native armies i heard they sell pretty well considering some old rumors, imho is the problem of not having got anything from their introduction that keeps "down under the sea" their "appeal" (as Fyreslyers,Bonesplitterz etc.etc.).
Still those boxes never get new things for the old armies (only some heros) so i'd prefer them not getting that box but a full fledged wave.

I've been inhaling hopium for months (see: profile picture and signature) so I'm going to ride or die on Chorfs. I've cut the breaks on my daemon engine, either I'll reach Zharr Hyperund or I'll go in a blaze of glory (read: forum-based hubris).

That said, today more than ever I am ready to believe in the "Chorf vs Idoneth" hypothesis as...

5 hours ago, HollowHills said:

When Idoneth came out there was a lot of backlash from online trolls and WHFB players. People were unhappy with the whole "flying shark" meme.

This could be untrue because Idoneth have generally had good representation at events, largely due to being a top tier army for most of their history and seem to be middle of the pack for popularity on general polls.

We also know that GW profits were very good in 2018 and that the strategy of releasing new armies has continued from them on.

It could be true because anecdotally I'm the only Idoneth player in my local scene and I don't see a ton of interest in them online. 

GW also didn't provide them with a 2nd edition book or model release, so maybe they are lower priority.

Personally I would like to see all smaller Aos factions get new units to bring up their overall roster and diversity a bit. Basically Lumineth wave 2 for everyone.

...the bolter and chainsword leaker who was right about Kill Team contents (and teasing HH content in November so we'll see if this is true soon) claimed that Deepkin are the worst selling AoS army. I could imagine GW wanting to bundle them together with some devilishly (pun intended!) handsome duardin.

I personally don't think Deepkin deserve to sit collecting dust in GW stores, the wacky sea aesthetic was original and interesting and helped me viewing AoS as its own thing instead of WHFB when I still mined salt over End Times. Sadly I think lack of new models and rules have led to a "Bretonnia syndrome" where new players might avoid them over newer, shinier armies. But you must remain strong, Hollow! GW would surely not repeat past mistakes by not incentivising purchases of a slow-selling model line...r-right?

(I truly hope my gut feeling about the box is true, so we both get our wishes fulfilled)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

I've been inhaling hopium for months (see: profile picture and signature) so I'm going to ride or die on Chorfs. I've cut the breaks on my daemon engine, either I'll reach Zharr Hyperund or I'll go in a blaze of glory (read: forum-based hubris).

That said, today more than ever I am ready to believe in the "Chorf vs Idoneth" hypothesis as...

...the bolter and chainsword leaker who was right about Kill Team contents (and teasing HH content in November so we'll see if this is true soon) claimed that Deepkin are the worst selling AoS army. I could imagine GW wanting to bundle them together with some devilishly (pun intended!) handsome duardin.

I personally don't think Deepkin deserve to sit collecting dust in GW stores, the wacky sea aesthetic was original and interesting and helped me viewing AoS as its own thing instead of WHFB when I still mined salt over End Times. Sadly I think lack of new models and rules have led to a "Bretonnia syndrome" where new players might avoid them over newer, shinier armies. But you must remain strong, Hollow! GW would surely not repeat past mistakes by not incentivising purchases of a slow-selling model line...r-right?

(I truly hope my gut feeling about the box is true, so we both get our wishes fulfilled)

i take it with a grain of salt because since there is some dubious claims like Adeptus titanicus being discontinued in 2022, reddit boycott was a positive thing with less toxic gamers, and other bold claims

and apparently they are not the same poster because the guy who posted AT being gone in 2022, lowest selling army being Genestealers and IDK is not the same who posted the other list of stuff like gw trying to get NZ, AuS, and japan pricing down, 3D printing on being 5% of hobbyist so GW isn't feeling any pressure really, DoW comming back, and reddit boycott was a positive thing (this is reliable guy)

EDIT: it highly debated that it not even reliable guys at all so that B&C thread was close because it too dubious. it possible that everything you saw on that thread was BS since /tg is just as bad as 4chan

Edited by novakai

17 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

More then Fyreslayers? I would be shocked if that was true. Fyreslayers need a refresh as well badly

Sadly, they will most likely get tacked onto Kharadron with hardly any chance of an update to either. This has been confirmed by Whitefang.

Lore/style/model wise, stapling Idoneth to Morathi makes as much sense, but sales figures for Idoneth can't be as bad as Fyreslayers, and their models are miles better.

2 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

Sadly, they will most likely get tacked onto Kharadron with hardly any chance of an update to either. This has been confirmed by Whitefang.

Lore/style/model wise, stapling Idoneth to Morathi makes as much sense, but sales figures for Idoneth can't be as bad as Fyreslayers, and their models are miles better.

From the very limited perspective of my small club, I think fyreslayers still benefits from the dwarven nostalgia, whereas idoneth do not feel elvish enough for that

• Like 1

So collected soupy rumours to date from here with a bit of supposition from me. 

1) The ‘Naughty Elves’ collective. IDK, DOK. Will this include tge rumored Shadow Elves / Daemons of ulugu? Wonder if the old fantasy dark elves from Cities are included? Lore wise this had been trailed and they are all awesome models…

2) ‘Increase the numbers of the Beast’ by merging BOC and STD probablywith a reduction of resin in both lines. 

3) ‘Dwarves ReUnited’. Khaderon and slayers. Again, will the old fantasy range be in the mix? They are great models after all. 

4) ‘Dawnbringer crusades’ the original soup with a spicy new mix. Cities of Sigmar reworked with a mostly human focus but ability to take allies from the others. I would love more kits but wonder if we get upgrade spruces, heads and weapons etc. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

After reading Orruk Warclans, it's not something that you want. I'm still reading the Lore but rules are not just simplified (btw, that's good for the game and I'm happy about that), but you lose some options compared to SCE, less dedicated arts/illustrations and overall, a battletome with less things about your boys.

Note: I'm not talking about how good or strong are on the table.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, HollowHills said:

Locally, everyone who wanted the army only wanted eels and sharks etc. they spread out the release and people got sick of waiting and moved on to something else. 99% of the players I’ve seen with them have been hyper competitive tournament players

1 hour ago, Joseph Mackay said:

Locally, everyone who wanted the army only wanted eels and sharks etc. they spread out the release and people got sick of waiting and moved on to something else. 99% of the players I’ve seen with them have been hyper competitive tournament players

I personally loved the turtles but the rules were poop so I never jumped in 

The other thing that you could consider as to why Idoneth may have sold poorly is that they came out only a month or two after DoK. You had two brand new "dark elf" style armies that released very close together.

It's possible that many players who had been waiting for an AoS elf army hopped onto the DoK wagon and then didn't have any need to commit to Idoneth. Especially as Morathi was an existing figure from the lore.

Lastly, you could also argue that Idoneth are the hardest army from a hobby perspective. You have to deal with a lot of flight stands, sub assemblies and detailed models sitting in weird positions.

I would never recommend them to a new player because of that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

As a fan of elves, I liked idoneth, but I would have liked some elite infantry like those on eels, but without a mount. 

Then Lumineth came and I was sold, even if I in the beginning was a little bit unsure with all the fancy helmets. It's been a pain to paint, but I'm almost done with the army...

Next is the Dominion box. And after that I wouldn't mind a kurnothi release, but I don't have storage for that!

Going on topic, where do people find rumors? Is it a leak from employees to their friends? PR people that do it as a promotion? 

• Like 1

Oh Idoneth... when I got a first glimpse on them I was intrigued since I always found things connected to the sea fascinating and the concept of sea elves was something new and creative for Warhammer. But then I took a closer look at the models and was a little put off. Some models are really amazing, like the Namarti and the Eidolons, but almost all of the foot heroes look goofy to me. Also I don't like all the bare arms and bald heads on elves. Strangely enough I don't mind that look on the Namarti.

• Like 1

I really thought Idoneth Deepkin are one of the best received new army in Age of sigmar community, everything about them is really awesome. I doubt they will not get any update because they are pretty unique and there is so many unit possibilites for future. Many wanted akhelian infantry but I am fan of them being high caste on bounded mounts. 
Lately Kruelboyz took my attention but considering those rumors true about Deepkin I might wait a bit with second army :D