The Rumour Thread

2 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

Warcry currently sits in a bit of a weird place as it has the potential to become more like Necromunda but doesn't have the same level of customisation or background.

Ultimately I think there's a demand for a more Mordheim style game but set within AoS.  What makes Necromunda work well is that the gangs within them aren't plucked straight from armies - they're (on the whole) fairly low level humans with little military training.  That's a lot more difficult to achieve currently in AoS though, which is by it's nature far more fantastical with less background.

It's a funny one, feels like that low-level approach was the plan when Warcry was being designed, with its eight different warbands of random cultist mooks from the realms. The idea was clearly that these were a far cry from the chaos warriors and stormcast of the world, from distinct cultures (like Necromunda houses or Mordheim gangs) and fighting for scraps of territory, food, etc. I think they're still fantastical in a sword & sorcery sort of way, strong shades of Conan the Barbarian and certainly unique to the AoS brand with their realm-theming, but 'lower' fantasy than basically any random 2000pt battle or bit of battletome background.

At some point though (I think well before launch, during the design process) GW clearly decided to open things up to include randos from the main factions. Not saying that was necessarily a bad or entirely unjustified - people want to play with the toys they already have - but it does highlight a shift away from that older idea where the gangs/warbands are 'low-level', specific to the location and at least partially distinct from the main AoS factions. And that's happened before; even Mordheim launched with mostly warbands from the WHFB Empire or which were semi-unique to the setting rather than "here's two high elf spearmen and a phoenix guard" before letting a broader range of stuff in down the line.

Now, in 2021, it feels like new Kill Team is trying to have another crack at the idea but in reverse, where you start with a whole bunch of available factions but then gradually introduce KT-specific dudes like these veteran guardsman, new ork kommandoes, sisters-in-training, upgraded tau scouts. None of these are quite as low-level or unique to KT as e.g. a Goliath gang is to Necromunda or an Iron Golems warband is to Warcry but still. I do wonder if that's the kind of thing that could find its way back into Warcry.

RE: customisation, that's really by design. Rules-wise, old Mordheim and modern Necromunda are just completely out of step with how GW proper makes its games nowadays. Hyper-customisation of fighters and gear, ultra detailed campaigns, very granular/'crunchy' rules for movement/combat/shooting and less for strategies/command points/high-level battle tactics, conversions/kitbashes not just encouraged but necessary, extreme jankiness... That's from a different era and flies in the opposite way to the design philosophy you see in 40k/AoS/Warcry/Kill Team. I wouldn't expect to see any of that come back except in very broad inspiration.

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

I honestly bet about Warcry between a new starter set for the current edition or a new edition (with a limited box like Kill Team and extensions used the same way, for both Warcry / AoS).

Given the launch date for Warcry, we're not far from a new game edition cycle, IMHO. I don't think it should be major changes like Kill Team, but still enough for justifying it.

Either way...I don't expect customization or "Necromundisation" of Warcry, far from it. Quite the opposite, actually. I expect GW will keep the trend they initiated with Warcry (and that we can see in current Kill Team) - one profile for one miniature with a specific set of weapons / equipments, and gimmicks as "customization" like relics / artifacts / limited equipment.

What I'm really hoping for is new warbands but for Cities of Sigmar - like a Hammerhall warband, and so on, but really typed with the AoS Realm flavor and not just "copied and paste from old Empire with different colors".

Edited by Sarouan
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Umjammerlama said:

I think the Generals Handbook for 2022 will be set in Ulgu, with Harrowdeep being set in that realm it is normally a precursor for where the narrative of age of Sigmar is heading next.  They did it with Beastgrave and Direchasm and now we are fighting in the realm of Ghur.

Most likely we will be fighting in Ghur for some years, for the whole 3.0. There is no point on moving so quickly from Ghur as it would be detrimental for the game in the long run. They need to develop teh history here in Ghur and then make another "Broken Realms" to move to a new edition in Ulgu, where we will get new faction focus.

So we will have this season of Underworlds that will last for 1.5 years and then another for the same time span, and then we will move from this realm to Ulgu and Underworlds will move too to the next realm.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, japaricio said:

Most likely we will be fighting in Ghur for some years, for the whole 3.0. There is no point on moving so quickly from Ghur as it would be detrimental for the game in the long run. They need to develop teh history here in Ghur and then make another "Broken Realms" to move to a new edition in Ulgu, where we will get new faction focus.

So we will have this season of Underworlds that will last for 1.5 years and then another for the same time span, and then we will move from this realm to Ulgu and Underworlds will move too to the next realm.

I agree. I dont think nor want the Realm to change immediately. The whole Edition is Era of the Beast so changing to Ulgu not even halfway through an Edition would be odd and ill fitting.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

Think @Loyal Son of Khemri was talking about Warcry and not Underworlds.  Underworlds was always intended as a competitive board game (hence push fit, deck building & seasons).  Warcry currently sits in a bit of a weird place as it has the potential to become more like Necromunda but doesn't have the same level of customisation or background.

Ultimately I think there's a demand for a more Mordheim style game but set within AoS.  What makes Necromunda work well is that the gangs within them aren't plucked straight from armies - they're (on the whole) fairly low level humans with little military training.  That's a lot more difficult to achieve currently in AoS though, which is by it's nature far more fantastical with less background.

I'm not sure why I read Underworlds. I enjoy the progression in games like Frost/stargrave or Rangers of Shadowdeep which is absent in Kill Team or Warcry. I also missed the obvious thing about Warcry being designed as competetive, and Necromunda being one of the worst platforms for a competetive game I could imagine.

I found Necromunda to be very convoluted in its rules. I had a peek on the whole of it, but it really didn't entice me (at least, not enough to spend the ~110 euro neccessary to field 10 people). I also looked at a game, and there was too much confusion about what a rule meant.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chikout said:

The price increase on Underworlds is a big issue, but the warband sizes haven't changed. They had three Stormcast in season 1 and three Stormcast and a pet in season 5. 5 Skaven in season 1 and 6 Seraphon in season 4. It's two small sprues each time which is part of the reason why doing something like a gargant is difficult. 

Ah, I hadn't counted as much lately. I have the second Underworlds box with a sizable Nighthaunt group, Zarbag's and Thundrik's. The first things that were 3,50 euros were all small teams, so approaching an average of 10 euro per model.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

I'm not sure why I read Underworlds. I enjoy the progression in games like Frost/stargrave or Rangers of Shadowdeep which is absent in Kill Team or Warcry. I also missed the obvious thing about Warcry being designed as competetive, and Necromunda being one of the worst platforms for a competetive game I could imagine.

I found Necromunda to be very convoluted in its rules. I had a peek on the whole of it, but it really didn't entice me (at least, not enough to spend the ~110 euro neccessary to field 10 people). I also looked at a game, and there was too much confusion about what a rule meant.

I think Necromunda has turned into a much more sandboxy game than most people anticipate/want.  I've been a die hard fan of Necro since '95 and the group I game with are really used to working out oddball rules and house ruling.  Certainly not balanced with some gangs being significantly better/worse than others and would 100% say you need to play it with friends rather than randomers 🤣  I was fortunate to watch Andy Hoare and a friend of his playing a game at WHW once and it was really fast paced and didn't feel clunky - but Andy's in charge of SG and has an encyclopaedic knowledge of the rules.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

I was fortunate to watch Andy Hoare and a friend of his playing a game at WHW once and it was really fast paced and didn't feel clunky - but Andy's in charge of SG and has an encyclopaedic knowledge of the rules.

This explains GW rules process to a Tee, I think. If designers, or competitive players at the highest end of the game find it straight forward and accessible within playtesting, then that's what they consider straight forward and accessible.

If GW care about rules for the average gamer (which I maintain that comparative to models, they don't at all) they would test and design them with at least a reasonable percentage of input from said people 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Nos said:

This explains GW rules process to a Tee, I think. If designers, or competitive players at the highest end of the game find it straight forward and accessible within playtesting, then that's what they consider straight forward and accessible.

If GW care about rules for the average gamer (which I maintain that comparative to models, they don't at all) they would test and design them with at least a reasonable percentage of input from said people 

We're getting wildly off-topic now, so don't want to continue this much more.  What I do want to say is that any person who does something for hundreds of hours will naturally be more proficient at that task.  I've played against AoS players (non-GW staff) in events who have an equally high level of understanding of the rules as Andy did with Necro (his mate was equally as good).  Not particularly impressed that you've turned my comment about somebodies proficiency at playing into a cheap dig at GW's rule process.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Gwill_of_the_Woods said:

Wish-listing for some warcry factions.

Golemkind Duardin from Chamon

Kurnothi from Ghur

...from what I've been reading, seems more sensible to keep expectations at a new 2021 book release though.

Honestly, I would like to see Kurnothi released as a proper army, not just Underworlds or even Warcry warbands.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

We're getting wildly off-topic now, so don't want to continue this much more.  What I do want to say is that any person who does something for hundreds of hours will naturally be more proficient at that task.  I've played against AoS players (non-GW staff) in events who have an equally high level of understanding of the rules as Andy did with Necro (his mate was equally as good).  Not particularly impressed that you've turned my comment about somebodies proficiency at playing into a cheap dig at GW's rule process.

Not particularly impressed that you as a moderator chose to punch down on me in public, not even private message, to defend the honour of a global corporation over an entirely legitimate opinion you happen to disagree with. The wider discussion has been around the accessibility of GW systems, mu comment was entirely in keeping with that wider discussion. At no point did I attack Andy. I very specifically mentioned GW. I didn't even attack them. I said that I think they don't care about rules. They can't or don't need to care about everything. They're clearly thriving with the focus they have.

Subjectively, were you in the same situation, I'm quite sure you would feel the same. 

Delete my post if you want, thats your right, it happens, or if you want to talk to me or I would suggest any member about their behaviour, then have the courtesy to do it in private. Don't treat me or others like a naughty child in front of the school assembly for having a difference of opinion.

Edited by Nos
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

Just now, Loyal Son of Khemri said:

On it! Though I wish it wasn’t primaris action figures being shown first…..

Too be fair, they look quite nice. Wrong colour but nice 😁

I’m very curious about what 40K news they have as part of me is wondering about the squat rumours. I doubt they will announce anything other than board games or action figures, but I’m hoping that these rumours are wrong and it’s not squats but chaos dwarfs

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Loyal Son of Khemri said:

On it! Though I wish it wasn’t primaris action figures being shown first…..

I dunno I prefer this scale and more exaggerated proportions to the larger more streamlined McFarlen and Bandai scale. Hopefully we get some AOS/Fantasy lines in this scale and style. I would get a few Chaos Warriors and maybe a Stormcast Eternal. Am I truly as bad with money as my partner says?

Action figures were my first love and will always have a place in my heart but oddly are a more expensive hobby for me than little soldiers so now I have a few uncompleted collections in boxes in storage. I should sell them but they have a strange place in my heart that I cannot part. I still follow toy news and tempt myself regularly I also know Gundam Model kits (possibly my favourite franchise) will one day be the death of me combining my love of hobbying and action figures, but for now I keep them at arms length.

To keep things slightly on topic does anyone know when to expect the reveals to begin today?

Edited by Neverchosen

24 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

I dunno I prefer this scale and more exaggerated proportions to the larger more streamlined McFarlen and Bandai scale. Hopefully we get some AOS/Fantasy lines in this scale and style. I would get a few Chaos Warriors and maybe a Stormcast Eternal. Am I truly as bad with money as my partner says?

Action figures were my first love and will always have a place in my heart but oddly are a more expensive hobby for me than little soldiers so now I have a few uncompleted collections in boxes in storage. I should sell them but they have a strange place in my heart that I cannot part. I still follow toy news and tempt myself regularly I also know Gundam Model kits (possibly my favourite franchise) will one day be the death of me combining my love of hobbying and action figures, but for now I keep them at arms length.

To keep things slightly on topic does anyone know when to expect the reveals to begin today?

I love The Transformers, G.I. Joe, TMNT, and Gundam (Ironblooded Orphans in particular) in addition to this hobby. The plastic addiction is a bigger threat then any drug epidemic. 

If I’m correct today is Necromunda, Bloodbowl, 40K “and more!” Which I am taking to mean Horus Heresy swag incoming. If I’m right about the last one I think it will be something involving the White Scars, because their terminator unit is no longer available on Forgeworld.

Edited by Loyal Son of Khemri
  • LOVE IT! 1

20 minutes ago, Loyal Son of Khemri said:

I love The Transformers, G.I. Joe, TMNT, and Gundam (Ironblooded Orphans in particular) in addition to this hobby. The plastic addiction is a bigger threat then any drug epidemic. 

If I’m correct today is Necromunda, Bloodbowl, 40K “and more!” Which I am taking to mean Horus Heresy swag incoming. If I’m right about the last one I think it will be something involving the White Scars, because their terminator unit is no longer available on Forgeworld.

The and more is Warcry. It's the only thing from the graphic that they didn't mention in the text of the first preview. That's means it's either a final surprise or not worth talking about. 

28 minutes ago, Loyal Son of Khemri said:

If we are getting HH stuff I'd also probably have my money either on some White Scars, since iiirc theyre the only legion without a primarch miniature, or that leaked HH box. Gencon might be a good place to announce the HH in plastic people have been speculating about.

• Subscriber
21 minutes ago, Higolx said:

If we are getting HH stuff I'd also probably have my money either on some White Scars, since iiirc theyre the only legion without a primarch miniature, or that leaked HH box. Gencon might be a good place to announce the HH in plastic people have been speculating about.

The HH leaks were interesting to me because I think every other time a potato-cam photo had been leaked for AoS or 40k, GW themselves followed up with proper photo or video and at least a comment to say, it's coming soon. 

I haven't seen any response to those leaked HH shots, maybe they were so early in the process they couldn't show them off? Or could they have been faked?

Just now, KingBrodd said:

I am slightly worried that Warcry will only be a new book.

As I said earlier, I am at least expecting a book and some 'new environments'. 

Maybe some more of these style sets:
35f1457b-warcry-sylvaneth.jpg

Or we will get a new edition in which case all bets are off... but hopefully it will keep my eyes away from that Tau/Sisters boxset.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, SunStorm said:

The HH leaks were interesting to me because I think every other time a potato-cam photo had been leaked for AoS or 40k, GW themselves followed up with proper photo or video and at least a comment to say, it's coming soon. 

I haven't seen any response to those leaked HH shots, maybe they were so early in the process they couldn't show them off? Or could they have been faked?

Theres always the possibilty of it being fake but what I think is different this time is that its a much bigger thing. People who play HH noticed the miniatures are coming with a new code to identify them, code 30.

Because of code 30, people started speculating that something BIG is actually coming for HH, involving a possible revamp to Forgeworld too. I think that photo was WAY too early in the development stage and they probably had some problems doing the speculated forgeworld revamp because theses times are a logistic nightmare so thats why they didnt say anything about it.

• Like 2