The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, Snorri Nelriksson said:

Soulblight got a nice release give them another wave would be a bad thing imho,Fec needs more love.

Hoping that GW doesn't soup fec and soulblight, it would be a bad move.

Still a warcry or underworld warband is welcome.

I think they’d have souped them in the Soulblight book if they were planning to do so. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Magnusaur said:

Lumineth could get elephants? This is a massive problem, and I'm not talking about the animal. I really can't afford another army... :E

I don't like to say anything negative but No.

If anyone should get heffalumps it should be the slaves to darkness who had our loverly war mammoth taken away from us by the evil ones.

A bigger badderer plastic war mammoth is the least they could do.. age of the beast and all that, and it would work out nice as I'd buy two to flank my chaos lord on huge dragon that also got taken away and needs to come out in plastic.

If they do that, I promise never to throw them down the toilet and allow them to kill turtles in the ocean.

• Thanks 1

Every one is hyped for Catah and i was coming here to see if i could find similar opinions as mine about not beeing happy about this Faction ..

It's ok if you all like it and the creators do what they want with their game but i wil say what i need here as it will help me finding my arguments in the future when people will ask me why i don't like it.

In the past my brother give me free ticket to go to the movie theater whatching "the great wall" because as a fireman he has free tickets by the town. Even if it was free i felt like i wasted something watching the movie. It felt so tasteless, with zero risk taking about creating something original and even dumb ideas for rule of cool.

Well the Cathay faction give me the same feeling and i don't know if it's because i just don't want to like it or if i'm right. I need Grimdark added to it in the same manner we have crazy ugly fanatics working for the Empire ! 

It feels like in WoW when some dude added a Panda and a suddendly a whole fanbase was asking for the lore of the Panda nations and then they created a whole new expansion about it. I was sceptical at first and then i saw they manage to give a soul to the expansion and it fitted in the lore. But here it looks like there is nothing new and it's generic at most.

But you will have get it : it's a subjective opinion, it's cool that people like it and i hope i'm wrong as i was before Mist of Pandaria for WoW. 

Sorry Moderation if i's out of subject ... if more people are not happy with Cathay maybe will we create another topics 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On the topic of River Temple: as much as I love pachyderms, from what little mention there was of the River Temple in the Lunineth tome, they were supposed to be fast and nimble and flowy, so actually rather close to the Wind Temple. And that doesn't seem to fit elephants or hippopotamusi. Mountain cows are calm and stoic and foxes are nimble, so those were quite fitting.

Cathay. Oh my god, is there a word for a China-version of a weeb? Because that's kind of me... So needless to say: GW, please make awesome Cathay models and take my money!

10 minutes ago, Perturbato said:

Every one is hyped for Catah and i was coming here to see if i could find similar opinions as mine about not beeing happy about this Faction ..

I'm in a similar boat to you. I think Cathay look cool, the trailer is very well done. My only gripe is that it doesn't feel very Old World Warhammer to me. Admittedly I'm not at all familiar with the Total War series, other than it exists so maybe this is just how the setting has developed over time, getting more exaggerated for a video game audience. It just all feels to me a bit too fantastical and advanced and OTT for TOW setting.

I feel they would actually fit better in the AoS setting. If this were an AoS game or miniature range I'd be totally hyped.

19 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Stuff like this really makes me realize how deficient the Mortal Realms are when it comes to depicting a diversity of human cultures. I mean, I love the Landsknecht aesthetic of the Freeguild and the tall hats of the Order of Azyr, but still.

That's because they're just the hangover of the Old World. AOS is culturally vastly more informed by a variety of cultural archetypes than OW ever was (at least, in a sense which was not grossly culturally insensitive).

There's actually a lot of Romance of the Three Kingdoms in the Lumineth too, just drawing more from the religious and mythic imagery of the era whereas Cathay is a bit more historical.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Perturbato said:

I thought the Cathay trailer was really slick and very well crafted. It was impressive for what it was.

But... it was so predictable. The faction seems like a thin pastiche of "stuff that Westerners vaguely know about China" - fireworks, terracotta warriors, paper lanterns, junks, Chinese dragons. All of those elements looked awesome on screen, but it didn't bring any new ideas, just the same old stereotypes of Orientalism. I was impressed by the spectacle, but I wasn't interested.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 5

14 minutes ago, Nos said:

That's because they're just the hangover of the Old World. AOS is culturally vastly more informed by a variety of cultural archetypes than OW ever was (at least, in a sense which was not grossly culturally insensitive).

There's actually a lot of Romance of the Three Kingdoms in the Lumineth too, just drawing more from the religious and mythic imagery of the era whereas Cathay is a bit more historical.

I understand that, of course :)

Warhammer Fantasy already also had a bit of a problem with having a very low diversity of human factions for most of it's lifetime. But I think it was a little less noticable because there were not also four or five distinct elf cultures and three distinct dwarf cultures being represented at the time. And you could always argue that there is more human cultural diversity out there, we are just not seeing it because we are mostly zoomed in on a certain region of the Old World.

I think the aesthetic diversity of AoS overall is good, it just kinda doesn't match well with the fluff that the inhabitants of the Cities of Sigmar all look like 16th century Germans. I am hoping for eventual AoS rules for Kislev and Cathay models, even if it's just as variant sculpts of existing units. Although I suppose once the models are out nobody can stop you from running them with whatever warscrolls you like.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Kadeton said:

I thought the Cathay trailer was really slick and very well crafted. It was impressive for what it was.

But... it was so predictable. The faction seems like a thin pastiche of "stuff that Westerners vaguely know about China" - fireworks, terracotta warriors, paper lanterns, junks, Chinese dragons. All of those elements looked awesome on screen, but it didn't bring any new ideas, just the same old stereotypes of Orientalism. I was impressed by the spectacle, but I wasn't interested.

Though I very much dig the aesthetic, your observation of a somewhat superficial and stereotypical impression is sadly very well put.

But maybe Cathay just needs its own stories to develop more character. Without all the underlying stories and events the Imperium e.g. would also just be an early modern/late medieval Habsburg's Germany rip-off, just as Kislev would just be a Russia/Poland with ice magic.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Kadeton said:

But... it was so predictable. The faction seems like a thin pastiche of "stuff that Westerners vaguely know about China" - fireworks, terracotta warriors, paper lanterns, junks, Chinese dragons. All of those elements looked awesome on screen, but it didn't bring any new ideas, just the same old stereotypes of Orientalism. I was impressed by the spectacle, but I wasn't interested

100% agree, but that's exactly what Warhammer Fantasy is.

Anyone remember Bretonians? Orcs? Mummies? Vampire? Lizardmen? Even Skavens are just a pastiche of popular concepts mixed together. Cathay seems to be exactly that.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Kadeton said:

Yeah I agree with this. Unfortunately it's baked into the whole OW premise. In many respects Warhammer is just a riff on 16th century Eurocentric concepts, from an obsession with the apocalypse, demons, spiritual anxiety and fanaticism, the collision of the occult with science, to the notion of savagery or transcendence at the fringes. With heavy LOTR references. 

It's a very interesting example of how even the well meaning progressively liberal people who came up with it can't escape the damage of harmful tropes and historical prejudice. Really interesting essay to be written on the subject by someone brave enough. 

Of course most people won't agree with this- bjt that's because Warhammer predominantly reflects their cultural bias. The MCU is a good example of how licenses with global ambitions have had to confront this though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One thing I also noticed from the Cathay trailer- there where a few chaos forces I didn't recognise - the winged beastial creatures [furies?] and the beastial creatures with glowing claws [didn't look like daemonettes]. The "credible rumour drop" mentioned new Deamons coming- could these be a sneak peek at new undivided deamons? I'm not up on Chaos forces so just wondering..

36 minutes ago, silverstu said:

One thing I also noticed from the Cathay trailer- there where a few chaos forces I didn't recognise - the winged beastial creatures [furies?] and the beastial creatures with glowing claws [didn't look like daemonettes]. The "credible rumour drop" mentioned new Deamons coming- could these be a sneak peek at new undivided deamons? I'm not up on Chaos forces so just wondering..

The flying beasts seem to be Tzeentch furies. Given that from earlier previews we know that Khorne also has his own red furies, it looks like each chaos god will get marked versions of them.

That sort of applies to the others too, looks like Tzeentch is getting 'reskinned' warriors, forsaken and spawn, though maybe these will be shaken up a bit more by the time of release. I know the Khorne warriors have their own unique helmets, at least.

Edited by sandlemad

25 minutes ago, Nos said:

They said you can "try it for free" which would suggest it's intended as a paid service sadly 

I have no intension to subscribe for wh+, but I'd pay a smaller fee for the app only, if that's possible. I'm also getting the new orruk tome and it would be disappointing if I had to subscribe to wh+ to access the digital version.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Orkmann said:

I have no intension to subscribe for wh+, but I'd pay a smaller fee for the app only, if that's possible. I'm also getting the new orruk tome and it would be disappointing if I had to subscribe to wh+ to access the digital version.

I think you don't need WH+ to use the code for the digital version in the 40k app and as they both look and function basically the same I would expect that to be true for this one as well

• Like 1