The Rumour Thread

I'll be very surprised if that model is Stormcast. The scabbard doesn't match anything used by the stormy boiz, and the handle and pommel of the blade are too normal by half. No braided look on the handle, and the pommel is neither a spike nor done comet/starburst design.

The design leans much more into the classic/gothic motifs used for soulblight. Others have already compared the design on the scabbard to batwings, and if that hair doesn't scream GW's new design principles for vampires, U don't know what does.

The only other thing I can think of would be a certain dark elf faction, but honestly the design seems a little too down-to-earth for what I would expect (which is such a strange thing to say in AOS.)

Edited by OkayestDM
  • Like 4

Yeah, that sword at least has basically nothing in common with anything in the stormcast repertoire. Doesn't even match the two-handed swords we've seen the Thunderstrike crew wield, which I'd expect to feature in the new SC WHU force based on that little bit of art we've seen.

It's really very, very soulblight on multiple counts.

• 'Perfume bottle' pommel, just like those on the Crimson Court, Blood Knights, Kritza, the blood-born and basically all the older vampire counts characters
  • Bat/dragon wing flair on the scabbard, just like basically all new non-Vyrkos vampire minis have for their armour. The shoulderpad looks similary angular
  • Sculpted dragons on the hilt, another classically vampire symbol
  • The ridged grip is new and doesn't exactly match any existing vampire/Death two-handed swords, most of which have a single ridge half way along, but the size and overall shape are similar. The Bladegheist swords have ridges but they're in more of a spiral pattern.

Given we just had a Soulblight warband for WHU, I'm expecting this to be part of a Soulblight Warcry force.

Edited by sandlemad
  • LOVE IT! 3

17 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

Yeah, that sword at least has basically nothing in common with anything in the stormcast repertoire. Doesn't even match the two-handed swords we've seen the Thunderstrike crew wield, which I'd expect to feature in the new SC WHU force based on that little bit of art we've seen.

It's really very, very soulblight on multiple counts.

• 'Perfume bottle' pommel, just like those on the Crimson Court, Blood Knights, Kritza, the blood-born and basically all the older vampire counts characters
  • Bat/dragon wing flair on the scabbard, just like basically all new non-Vyrkos vampire minis have for their armour. The shoulderpad looks similary angular
  • Sculpted dragons on the hilt, another classically vampire symbol
  • The ridged grip is new and doesn't exactly match any existing vampire/Death two-handed swords, most of which have a single ridge half way along, but the size and overall shape are similar. The Bladegheist swords have ridges but they're in more of a spiral pattern.

Given we just had a Soulblight warband for WHU, I'm expecting this to be part of a Soulblight Warcry force.

I honestly rit off Soulblight as they had their Underworlds Warband but I forgot about Warcry!! 

8 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Yeah. This is the first thing that crossed my mind. I would absolutely love some more Kurnothi. 

Could be .. it did strike me as aelf but the arguments for Warcry are possible too, I think there was an icon on the last Warcry map that had blood drop in it so possible..

Edit: so there are a number of symbols on the Catacombs map- Crossed pole arms with a blood drop [Soulblight?], Anvil and Hammer with iron halo [Chaos dwarfs], Skaven Symbol,  Skull and blades [looks very Kruelboyz], a Chain, A scorpion, possibly on a web, A Statue with a crown in a chaos star, a Spiral in a star/halo and a great axe on a shield. 

Hopefully we'll get a sense of what they are doing with Warcry soon -possibly a new series of war bands?

Edited by silverstu
  • Like 1

I think that those look like lions on the crossguard and it is likely related to this earlier image:
m9mwpopu4hy61.jpg
Now if that these are Kurnothi, Umbraneth, Duardin, Free Guild or Dawnbringer is beyond me. Maybe there will be an Underworlds warband for Lumineth's version of the White Lions. 

Alternatively the crossguard is showing dragons and we are getting Malerion and I will be in an existential and financial panic as I really cannot afford a new army. 

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

15 hours ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

Underworlds seems something logical, and I expect to see at least Kruleboyz - although I wouldn't say no to an all-Hobgrot warband! Or perhaps even a Chaos Duardin one...

WIth how Underworlds is set up, GW could do both a Kruleboyz and a Hobgrot warband. Could being operative, but it would make more sense!

11 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

"Truthseeker" sounds very close to how Malerion complains about Lumineth constantly trying to pierce his realm to bring the light into it to expose it's secrets.

What if there's only one Stormcast in the warband 👀 "Xandire's Truthskeers" sounds a little elfy to me, could be Order of Azyr or United Order force...

2 hours ago, Chikout said:

Aelf?9JQj6a4X0SeRoNtH.jpg.cbd987f9d1b08c23e8fa163909550e74.jpg

this immediately reminds me of aelves more than any other Order race. Both the scabbard and the hilt look dragon-y or dragon-inspired. If this is part of UW maybe we ARE getting mixed Order?? 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

I think that those look like lions on the crossguard and it is likely related to this earlier image:

oh good catch there! doing some digging and the more recent back-scabbard models have been:

Jelsen Darrock
ven Densts
Vanari Wardens
Scinari Calligrave
Vanari Bannerblade
Scinari Loreseeker

I've only checked Order, though it's already a clear pattern that back-scabbards are usually aelves. Maybe Lumineth Warcry band? Or a more general aelf warband.

• Thanks 1

It could be vampires but the last thing they need is another named single character vampire lord.

My first thought was stormcast, but it does lack a lot of design queues.

It actually kind of makes me think of dark souls and if it's the middle ground between Vampires and Stormcast (grim gothic human knights akin to Emelda from Cursed City) I would be very very interested.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

oh good catch there! doing some digging and the more recent back-scabbard models have been:

Jelsen Darrock
ven Densts
Vanari Wardens
Scinari Calligrave
Vanari Bannerblade
Scinari Loreseeker

I've only checked Order, though it's already a clear pattern that back-scabbards are usually aelves. Maybe Lumineth Warcry band? Or a more general aelf warband.

To be honest, if it looks like an Aelf and has bat wing motifs, it might actually be one of Malerion's Umbraneth. Warcry actually seems like a perfect place to start setting them up.

Incidentally, if the new Warcry and Underworlds sets are indeed set in Ulgu, that would lend credence to the idea that we will go to a new realm with each GHB. People were already predicting Ulgu as a likely next destination for the story to go.

• Like 1