The Rumour Thread

7 hours ago, Overread said:

Critters and Keys has arrived in a better form than I ever imagined ❤️ 

6 hours ago, Loyal Son of Khemri said:

Agreed. Also, can we get some of these humans they’ve been teasing for years now? I’m serious this piece of art is stunning and I’m really annoyed that there isn’t a model for anyone beyond the storm bois:image.jpeg.d9182e5feccf903802fde02b074f906e.jpeg

Seriously this dude is the best Stormcast design of all time. Still don't know his deal or if I like the character which will impact things but on a purely aesthetic level this dude knows how to Stormcast! I feel like I will get Bastian Carthalos even if I am running him as a generic unnamed lord! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

9 hours ago, HollowHills said:

I'd love to see this happen, but I am rather not hoping for much considering we know this battletome cover art for a while now. Meanwhile, we still have one open Chaos Book for October

11 hours ago, Enoby said:

I'd love if the Chimera and Manticore were redone. They're great monsters (as in conceptually) but I just can't get behind the strange pot belly, gangly/odd proportions that they both seem to have. I'm sure at the time they were impressive, but compared to most new monsters, they really just don't fit the bill anymore. 

I would have totally bought a Chaos Lord on Manticore if the Manticore itself didn't look like a strange gorilla/lion mutant. 

Nah, they sucked even then! Horrible models. And even with lots of work, you can't polish a ******. 😇

I own both sadly as they've got fun rules but I'd gladly buy updated versions. 

7 hours ago, MitGas said:

Nah, they sucked even then! Horrible models. And even with lots of work, you can't polish a ******. 😇

I own both sadly as they've got fun rules but I'd gladly buy updated versions. 

Yeah totally agree on the maticore. I can remember looking at the face of it and thinking what the 🤬

1 hour ago, Clewzy said:

Yeah totally agree on the maticore. I can remember looking at the face of it and thinking what the 🤬

Yeah… Chaos suffers from a lot of early plastic kits. But I‘m sure that the new versions will at least turn out great. Considering recent trends, the heads might still look a bit derpy tho! 😁

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, MitGas said:

Yeah… Chaos suffers from a lot of early plastic kits. But I‘m sure that the new versions will at least turn out great. Considering recent trends, the heads might still look a bit derpy tho! 😁

What heads in particular I may ask for? The eight bladed stars has made enough of a mark on my soul to fathom even the most grotesquely designed. 

Joke aside I cant list enough from memory I cannot force others to glare at anymore. At least its not as dated as early 80s LOTR sculpts. I dare show this anymore lol

Oldschoolcool.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

21 hours ago, Scurvydog said:

Yay new article, another one about book artwork, with mostly images we have seen, there is a few new ones though, some from the previous battletome as well :/

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/08/20/which-battletome-has-the-best-artwork-stormcast-eternals-or-orruk-warclans/

Stay tuned for the next article where they highlight the Font selection process ;) 

Theres much that I like about GW at present, but the artwork simply being a literal 1:1 copy of the models stifles world building massively in my opinion.

It very clearly defines the limits and scale of what things look like in the fiction when you see artwork that is just a reproduction of the models that you've already seen.

I know within the lore theres more than 30  kruelboyz who look different from each other but the art- which has none of the limitations attached to actually producing models, you could draw *anything*- reinforces otherwise, because hey, there's at most 30 kruelboyz who exactly replicate the existing sculpts you've already seen.

And on the rare occasion you see art which isn't just a wrote reinterpretation of a sculpt, the illusion is still shattered because rather than appreciating the art, you just clock it as something that's not a model. 

And perhaps what's worst of all - they colour 2d art like it's an 'eavy metal paint job. Not in respect to the techniques, but the depth of colour and values are very restricted. 

Every part of the art is a marketing exercise designed to push the models and the paint and painting method they want you to use. I'm not surprised by this but I'd argue that of all the things that has allowed GW to maintain its "soul", it's the integrity of its artistic vision.  Much of that vision has come from a much broader cultural field of inspiration from all the arts, whereas now the artwork within GW clearly is dominated by it's own IP and artists are hired on their ability to reproduce that. 

As someone who primarily tries to paint models using artwork as inspiration rather than models, I can tell you with 100% honesty that I have been inspired by none of the AOS art in that sense. 

Edited by Nos
  • Like 13

38 minutes ago, Nos said:

Theres much that I like about GW at present, but the artwork simply being a literal 1:1 copy of the models stifles world building massively in my opinion.

It very clearly defines the limits and scale of what things look like in the fiction when you see artwork that is just a reproduction of the models that you've already seen.

I know within the lore theres more than 30  kruelboyz who look different from each other but the art- which has none of the limitations attached to actually producing models, you could draw *anything*- reinforces otherwise, because hey, there's at most 30 kruelboyz who exactly replicate the existing sculpts you've already seen.

And on the rare occasion you see art which isn't just a wrote reinterpretation of a sculpt, the illusion is still shattered because rather than appreciating the art, you just clock it as something that's not a model. 

And perhaps what's worst of all - they colour 2d art like it's an 'eavy metal paint job. Not in respect to the techniques, but the depth of colour and values are very restricted. 

Every part of the art is a marketing exercise designed to push the models and the paint and painting method they want you to use. I'm not surprised by this but I'd argue that of all the things that has allowed GW to maintain its "soul", it's the integrity of its artistic vision.  Much of that vision has come from a much broader cultural field of inspiration from all the arts, whereas now the artwork within GW clearly is dominated by it's own IP and artists are hired on their ability to reproduce that. 

As someone who primarily tries to paint models using artwork as inspiration rather than models, I can tell you with 100% honesty that I have been inspired by none of the AOS art in that sense. 

Keep in mind this is part of advertisement they use, they know its killing world building.

GW are not opening it up for interest, they are pretty much trying  to pause the growth for whatever reason it may be. Sure I could speculate on it being about doing other projects  and in other media's we are going to see next year. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Nos said:

I painted teclis based om the artwork in the book(s) 🙂

24 minutes ago, Howdyhedberg said:

I painted teclis based om the artwork in the book(s) 🙂

I was stoked when they previewed Teclis' art. Then they previewed the model and I was like "ugh..."

1 hour ago, Nos said:

I'm curious about this comment. I don't consume that much GW produced media, but some of the examples that come to mind, like the Daughters of Khaine battletome cover, don't evoke their painting style in my mind. When I think of their house style I think of edge highlights everywhere and reduced shadows/very little dramatic lighting. I don't think I've seen that in their 2d pictures.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ggom said:

I was stoked when they previewed Teclis' art. Then they previewed the model and I was like "ugh..."

I'm curious about this comment. I don't consume that much GW produced media, but some of the examples that come to mind, like the Daughters of Khaine battletome cover, don't evoke their painting style in my mind. When I think of their house style I think of edge highlights everywhere and reduced shadows/very little dramatic lighting. I don't think I've seen that in their 2d pictures.

It's not so obvious on the covers, or on some of the battle scenes, because in those the composition is less focussed on individuals and more on scale or evoking a sense of mood

But where individual examples are concerned, compare for example this piece of fan art

image.png.0e82154eac3b45afd8c9833fd8875772.png

With this piece of official art. 

image.png.f11db7765f1a026e53d055d857c0b8af.png

In the first piece the skin has been painted how painters are taught to paint skin- translucent, alive, multiple warm and cold tones. It looks organic. The lighting is complex and volumetric.

The second piece- they look like models. Skin is Flat. Multiple shades of one tone, as the GW base shade layer highlight approach favours. The piece is intended basically only to show outlines of individuals, as if they were models. The composition of the majority of the space is garbage, just a total absence. The lightning is inconsistent- the green skin shows up like painted plastic even in the shadows. Basically the subjects dont interact with the light or atmosphere st all. It's all about showing them as outlines ie models. 

There are more colours in the first image than in the second despite the fact that there are many more things in the second. The second is the GW army Battle ready painting approach applied to canvas. It's all about being able to see the Red and Green. It's got nothing to do with the supposed scene of them moving through a swamp, the context has no bearing on the subjects in an artistic sense. 

You can see it even better if you put it through a B and W filter. The dominant light source is *behind* where all the highlights are. The shadows are under the dominant light source. The values are basically none existent.

Look at all the things that are red in the coloured picture- their values are *exactly the same* across the entire picture wherever they are- shield in the foreground, shield in the distance, flag on the banner pole.  3 items 15 ft apart with exactly the same value  completely untouched by the light apparently. 

It's all about flat colour. 

Note this isnt me making a value judgement, I'm just demonstrating how as I said the art is not just copying the models, but also the manner in which they exist as painted models. 

20210821_140235.jpg

Edited by Nos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 7

Art is subjective, what one sees as a masterpiece, another sees as a waste of paint. 

Thumbs up from me for 'Old bale eye', good story telling and voice acting and the animation matched the orky style imo. I'm looking forward to Wednesday. 

And hopefully tomorrow will see a massive pre order coming next week, will have to see if I can finish the kruleboyz from dominion this week. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Nos said:

The second piece- they look like models. Skin is Flat. Multiple shades of one tone, as the GW base shade layer highlight approach favours. The piece is intended basically only to show outlines of individuals, as if they were models. The composition of the majority of the space is garbage, just a total absence. The lightning is inconsistent- the green skin shows up like painted plastic even in the shadows. Basically the subjects dont interact with the light or atmosphere st all. It's all about showing them as outlines ie models

... ...

Haha I see what you mean, but I had always assumed this was a byproduct of digital painting against a deadline rather than a conscious decision. I think there's also a limitation with the subject matter here - at scale they are trying to emphasize the overall sense of the army (jagged shapes, rags, grime) rather than the characters as individual subjects. I think it makes for boring pictures but 🤷

2 hours ago, Nos said:

You can see it even better if you put it through a B and W filter. The dominant light source is *behind* where all the highlights are. The shadows are under the dominant light source. The values are basically none existent.

Look at all the things that are red in the coloured picture- their values are *exactly the same* across the entire picture wherever they are- shield in the foreground, shield in the distance, flag on the banner pole...

20210821_140235.jpg

I agree that compared to the field of fantasy art out there, GW house style doesn't emphasize lighting or volumes as much. I feel it is more nuanced when they paint to their high heavy metal standard on models, where they will place shadows and volumes more, but it is much less compared to some of the professional freelance painters. I suspect it is intentional, to show off the technical achievement of the sculpt as much as possible. You can make any squishy mantic/WizKids minis look nice with good lighting and volumes, but when you edge highlight everything in uniform lighting - that's where the GW sculpting stands out.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Loyal Son of Khemri said:

Dang it! Looking back at the awesome art for the new battle times I realized the figure I thought was a new chaos dwarf was actually a killaboss on vulture! image.jpeg.c52396cb15c5762a6f03da5ba6881b80.jpeg

image.jpeg.10ca669a5a0ac1a6703d747c9169a8cc.jpeg

my dreams of chorfs have been ruined….

I'm sorry that you've been disappointed, but why would there be some Chaos Dwarf monster in the background of the Orruk Warclans battletome cover?!

I think the only instances of units from other factions in battletome covers appears are realized as crushed or otherwise murdered victims, e.g. new Stormcast Eternals or Daughters of Khaine..

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Maogrim said:

I'm sorry that you've been disappointed, but why would there be some Chaos Dwarf monster in the background of the Orruk Warclans battletome cover?!

I think the only instances of units from other factions in battletome covers appears are realized as crushed or otherwise murdered victims, e.g. new Stormcast Eternals or Daughters of Khaine..

I'm guessing the logic was the hobgrot alliance with the KB, maybe that being indicative of wider co-operation with CD themswlves.

But even then I agreee it's quite a stretch 

• Like 2

I know Middle Earth Strategy Battle Game is a different scale but how would that  Dol Guldur set scale with the Warcry terrain from the original set?

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/08/21/ardacon-2021-new-witch-king-huge-terrain-kits-and-the-future-of-the-war-of-the-ring/

The Amon Hen set probably scales better but it is too iconic for me to see it as anything else. 

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

29 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

I know Middle Earth Strategy Battle Game is a different scale but how would that  Dol Guldur set scale with the Warcry terrain from the original set?

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/08/21/ardacon-2021-new-witch-king-huge-terrain-kits-and-the-future-of-the-war-of-the-ring/

The Amon Hen set probably scales better but it is too iconic for me to see it as anything else. 

Is this also confirmation that all new Previews will go back to be unveiled at events?

That scenery is absolutely stunning!!

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

The newer MESBG stuff has had a bit of scale creep to it, although they're still height and proportionally smaller than AoS stuff. In practise I doubt you'd have much trouble using it unless you're playing Ogres vs Maggotkin.

• Thanks 1

It's always funny to me when people here talk about MESBG as if it's on the verge of being discontinued and desperate for support when stuff like this drops just as often as any Warhammer content. Just reminds me of all the 40k fans who only ever hear about our game through old Fantasy players and act surprised when they find out AoS HASN'T been on its death-bed since release.

• Like 6
  • Confused 4

3 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

The newer MESBG stuff has had a bit of scale creep to it, although they're still height and proportionally smaller than AoS stuff. In practise I doubt you'd have much trouble using it unless you're playing Ogres vs Maggotkin.

I have Slaves to Darkness, Stormcast and Beastclaw Raiders... the latter of which just like terrain to smash with the new monster rules so I think they will be fine. 😆