The Rumour Thread

11 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

Not too sure myself on this. Cities was/is after all one of the most fun and flexible books of 2nd edition. Orruks get a soup book as well, which sadly looks bad right now, with no synergy at all, so all it does is really save real estate on book pages. I would imagine the same happening for other "soup" armies. The silver lining here is that GW  needs to release less books, which means faster update cycles.

AoS is becoming bloated, especially on the order side of things, and with GW releasing maybe 2-3 tomes every 3 months, it takes years to update all the factions for any edition, it is not an optimal system at all. It does remove a lot of charm, and as any Orruk play can attest to, it does not mean better updates or equal content or more frequent model updates. Last time they souped together 2 orruk factions which had their own books in 1.0, but only giving them half the sub factions and options of full tomes, like Ogors got.

How can you say the new warclans book is in bad shape when we've not seen anything other than a few kruleboyz rules, we haven't seen anything about ironjawz or bonesplitters or the big waaaaagh. 

Armies are getting updates much quicker than they did in warhammer, we'll be lucky if we got 2 or 3 a year! 

Plus they seem to be using white dwarf as a stop gap now so I think we're in quite a good position. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

How can you say the new warclans book is in bad shape when we've not seen anything other than a few kruleboyz rules, we haven't seen anything about ironjawz or bonesplitters or the big waaaaagh. 

Armies are getting updates much quicker than they did in warhammer, we'll be lucky if we got 2 or 3 a year! 

Plus they seem to be using white dwarf as a stop gap now so I think we're in quite a good position. 

More paywalled patch fixes worth continuing though? Sure its gonna be free online after a few days because of a leak rip, but GW knows that. 

32 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

Every single spell and ability previewed has been keyword locked to the sub faction of Kruleboyz or Bonesplitterz. They even showed the new named guy on the bird along Ironjawz and Bonesplitterz while highlighting a spell, which is of course only beneficial to Kruleboyz. 

Nothing so far has shown they will not continue the trend with making a soup, yet having no rules interaction between the heroes or units. This is why I am very worried about that book. Not that it is not "strong" but that there is basically no point to having it souped up, besides simply having to release fewer books.

• Like 4

Kind of a side-note but for everyone else who was wondering about the weirdness of the Slaves to Darkness SC box having new chaos warriors/knights that have not been released as an independent kit, it's looking like the same approach is being taken with the new 40k orks combat patrol box.

There are new semi-monopose ork boys in this kit (along with helicopters and a warboss) that don't appear to replace the current ork boys, which appear alongside the new ones in some army shots and are in fact being used as a special premium gift thing for the Hachette 40k magazine. Similar situation to the AoS chaos stuff, the older minis are kept around and resculpts are 'locked' into a larger army box.

It's weird and does suggest that this is all an intentional release model, not some quirk of the schedules. No guarantee there won't be new chaos warriors/knights at some point in the future (look at the CSM in the old Shadowspear box) but probably best not to get your hopes up.

• Sad 3

Thanks! Thats really soon :D.
I cant wait to see what kind of fun stuff i can put next to the Gordrakk i bought recently.
I'm hoping for battleline savage morboys, i didnt like it when they changed that from fantasy.

Edit:

Also what has Whitefang been up to lately?

Edited by Iksdee

36 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

Kind of a side-note but for everyone else who was wondering about the weirdness of the Slaves to Darkness SC box having new chaos warriors/knights that have not been released as an independent kit, it's looking like the same approach is being taken with the new 40k orks combat patrol box.

There are new semi-monopose ork boys in this kit (along with helicopters and a warboss) that don't appear to replace the current ork boys, which appear alongside the new ones in some army shots and are in fact being used as a special premium gift thing for the Hachette 40k magazine. Similar situation to the AoS chaos stuff, the older minis are kept around and resculpts are 'locked' into a larger army box.

It's weird and does suggest that this is all an intentional release model, not some quirk of the schedules. No guarantee there won't be new chaos warriors/knights at some point in the future (look at the CSM in the old Shadowspear box) but probably best not to get your hopes up.

But a new ork boys kit was already announced for 40k orks in a warcom article so it's not only monopose the battlebox kit i think.

The sister battlebox  also had a monopose kit and then they made a multikit after.

Edited by Snorri Nelriksson

• Subscriber
39 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

Every single spell and ability previewed has been keyword locked to the sub faction of Kruleboyz or Bonesplitterz. They even showed the new named guy on the bird along Ironjawz and Bonesplitterz while highlighting a spell, which is of course only beneficial to Kruleboyz. 

Nothing so far has shown they will not continue the trend with making a soup, yet having no rules interaction between the heroes or units. This is why I am very worried about that book. Not that it is not "strong" but that there is basically no point to having it souped up, besides simply having to release fewer books.

I guess I am in the minority that is looking forward to this new combined book.

As an existing Ironjawz player I'm getting a new army book for my existing force, a new army in Kruleboyz full of cool new models AND I get the option to mix and match them in a combined list. 

I'll be saving judgement on the actual rules until we see everything in the book, rather than making judgements on rules shown in isolation. 

• Like 8

38 minutes ago, Iksdee said:

Thanks! Thats really soon :D.
I cant wait to see what kind of fun stuff i can put next to the Gordrakk i bought recently.
I'm hoping for battleline savage morboys, i didnt like it when they changed that from fantasy.

Edit:

Also what has Whitefang been up to lately?

Whitefang has been quite silent lately actually!!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Snorri Nelriksson said:

But a new ork boys kit was already announced for 40k orks in a warcom article so it's not only monopose the battlebox kit i think.

The sister battlebox  also had a monopose kit and then they made a multikit after.

Unfortunately the WHC article didn't say whether they'd be their own kit or as part of a larger box. The slam dunk here, to my mind, is that the older 40k ork boys kit has just been repackaged for 9th edition, as well as showing up as part of the Hachette magazine. Moreover we have independent game stores saying they've heard from GW that the older boys are just getting a new product code and not being discontinued:

I don't think they'd do that if these older minis weren't going to be sticking around for a while, suggesting that the cool new ork boys in the combat patrol aren't getting a wider release, at least in the near future.

RE: sisters, yep, same as for chaos marines, but in both those cases the previous kits were withdrawn. Not so with chaos warriors/knights and seemingly not so here either.

Anyway, that's 40k. I suppose there's a risk of 40k folks going "look what they did with the StD box, suggests X and Y about the orks" and then AoS folks going "look what they did with the ork box, suggests X and Y about the StD box" in a closed loop but I think it at least confirms that this is a release model that GW uses for some (not all) of its new/replacement plastic kits.

Edited by sandlemad
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

Mate, the biggest question on my lips!! My best bet is when they update the Mancrusher model they give it a dual kit. Unless lore wise they bump him up to Mega Gargant status.

If they were to make a Brodd model I think a little bit bigger than a standard Mega-gargant would be cool :D 

Edit: and if they update Mancrushers, let's have some lady Gargants too!

Edited by Gareth 🍄
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, SunStorm said:

I guess I am in the minority that is looking forward to this new combined book.

As an existing Ironjawz player I'm getting a new army book for my existing force, a new army in Kruleboyz full of cool new models AND I get the option to mix and match them in a combined list. 

I'll be saving judgement on the actual rules until we see everything in the book, rather than making judgements on rules shown in isolation. 

I'm looking forward to it as well, I love the look of the kruleboyz and ironjawz together and as always, models and how they look come first. Rules come and go and change, awesome looking models will always be awesome looking models!! 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, ian0delond said:

New generic Daemons to go with a new chaos prince, but the base is probably just going to be the DISCIPLES OF BE’LAKOR soup with Horror/Daemonette/Plaguebearer/Horror or to go as ally to your Std or BoC. A full minor faction of grey centrists daemons  is maybe not what we should expect.

A book with more fleshed out options for a demon only army would be cool, maybe some endless spells and terrain. Don't need more models. Some synnergy between the diff gods demons would be good.

Edited by Riavan

21 minutes ago, Gareth 🍄 said:

If they were to make a Brodd model I think a little bit bigger than a standard Mega-gargant would be cool :D 

Edit: and if they update Mancrushers, let's have some lady Gargants too!

Absolutely mate, Female Gargants and Ogors are sorely needed!!

19 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

I'm looking forward to it as well, I love the look of the kruleboyz and ironjawz together and as always, models and how they look come first. Rules come and go and change, awesome looking models will always be awesome looking models!! 

100% agree. This game is a model hobby first and foremost. If the minis weren't so stunning none of us would be here we would be collecting other games. For me its Lore tied with Minis. I have zero interest in the gaming side.

• Like 5
  • Confused 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

47 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

This.

It is kinda funny that i kept my bonesplitterz and spiderfang gobbos on square bases for so long that i can maybe use them again if they release the old world warhammer XD. 

(they can really use some rebasing though haha, they look like i dropped them on a soccerfield or something)

Edited by Iksdee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KingBrodd said:

100% agree. This game is a model hobby first and foremost. If the minis weren't so stunning none of us would be here we would be collecting other games. For me its Lore tied with Minis. I have zero interest in the gaming side.

Personally I count the hobby bit as a complete chore! I love the game and hobby is something I have to do if I want to play it. That doesn't mean I don't put the effort in mind you, I take pride in my hobby, I'd just genuinely rather be doing literally anything else than painting 99% of the time.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

• Subscriber
39 minutes ago, Jackroks981 said:

Personally I count the hobby bit as a complete chore! I love the game and hobby is something I have to do if I want to play it. That doesn't mean I don't put the effort in mind you, I take pride in my hobby, I'd just genuinely rather be doing literally anything else than painting 99% of the time.

2 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

It's good that there is a wide variety of ways interact with the hobby\game. Lets not forget that people enjoy a wide array of interests within this hobby.

As pointed out, rules do change, so I've become more hobby focused over the years. I've done my share of raging when a new edition invalidated a past army, but I've come to peace with that now. 

Being able to have my minis on display, even if mostly just to myself, helps me see them more as display pieces than gaming pieces. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jackroks981 said:

1 hour ago, SunStorm said:

It's good that there is a wide variety of ways interact with the hobby\game. Lets not forget that people enjoy a wide array of interests within this hobby.

As pointed out, rules do change, so I've become more hobby focused over the years. I've done my share of raging when a new edition invalidated a past army, but I've come to peace with that now. 

Being able to have my minis on display, even if mostly just to myself, helps me see them more as display pieces than gaming pieces. 

I love this about the hobby that everyone has their preferred avenue and style of enjoying it!!