The Rumour Thread

16 hours ago, Ogregut said:

I think the kruleboyz fit it nicely with the ironjaws when painted as a unified force, here's the starting of my waaaaagh. 

IMG_20210810_160833.jpg

Nice!

The "they dont fit together" thing seems weird to me. One of the appeals of Warhammer when I got into it was pretty much every army was full of different looking units. It was only really Empire/Imperial Guards/ Space Marines who were uniform, and that was the whole point really- they were the sort of Unisex option.

Dark Elves had half naked women, harpies, dinosaur riders, dragons, heavy infantry etc

Orcs and Goblins had *everything* including about 6 types of orc and 3 types of goblin. Gloomspite still have tiny guys, trolls, giant spiders, balls with teeth etc. Thibgs that look nothing like each other, basically, but people seem pretty chill with that. 

I wonder if the obsession with things having to look uniform in part is down to people routinely posting pictures of individual models, units etc since Social Media became the primary showcase, rather than as a collective army as tended to be the case in WD. 

• Like 7

@silverstu Agreed, I do think that the StD SC kit was most likely an experiment or the vestige of another larger project. It's cool but lacks the follow-through we see with other things in the same vein, most likely because it was the first of those.

Definitely fingers crossed we see 'normal kit' versions when they get back to the StD, though I'm not going to hold my breath. There were plenty of people sure that the 6th edition CSM chosen were a clear sign of forthcoming new CSM minis at any minute and they ended up watching three subsequent codices and seven years fly by.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Nos said:

Nice!

The "they dont fit together" thing seems weird to me. One of the appeals of Warhammer when I got into it was pretty much every army was full of different looking units. It was only really Empire/Imperial Guards/ Space Marines who were uniform, and that was the whole point really- they were the sort of Unisex option.

Dark Elves had half naked women, harpies, dinosaur riders, dragons, heavy infantry etc

Orcs and Goblins had *everything* including about 6 types of orc and 3 types of goblin. Gloomspite still have tiny guys, trolls, giant spiders, balls with teeth etc. Thibgs that look nothing like each other, basically, but people seem pretty chill with that. 

I wonder if the obsession with things having to look uniform in part is down to people routinely posting pictures of individual models, units etc since Social Media became the primary showcase, rather than as a collective army as tended to be the case in WD. 

I agree with this - even in Total War II the Greenskinz armies look so rag-tag and varied, I always assumed it was part of the appeal... My brother (and arch-nemesis) collects Orruks so I can't really get into Kruleboyz but I'd be looking to make Kruleboyz the main theme and start the conversions on some Brutes, Gore-Gruntas etc. Why not shove some Savage Orruk Boarboyz onto some Flesh Hounds, slap Skareshields over any Khorne markings, use the Boarboyz profile and call it Gnashtoof cavalry? 

Edited by NorthernNurgling
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, sandlemad said:

It makes for good minis but with the StD example it does lead to them having these cool new minis that are then unfortunately 'locked' in a larger and more expensive kit while the tired old 'normal kits' trundle on. That's not the end of the world when it's a character or single monster but when it's two battleline units that are core to the faction's identity, it stings.

And then there's also the issue of them being pretty firmly monopose - not even monopose in the exaggerated 'everything that's not a 4th edition tactical marine is monopose' sense that gets thrown around, actually the same 5/10 minis - and with fewer options than their warscroll permits.

If you want 10 chaos warriors and 5 knights, cool, but if you're making a force that needs more than that it's hardly ideal. The only comparable situations are the 40k sisters and the two parts of the Shadowspear box being repackaged, though they're better in that at least you can get 'regular' battle sisters/chaos space marines/vanguard marines as independent kits with the full range of options and in less restricted poses.

If anything it highlights what a weird affair the whole StD SC kit is, in that StD is popular range and the SC box contains units that can be used in four other factions but didn't get what we saw other ranges get.

I think there will be more of this going forward tbh. The new Wight King is trapped in a SC set. I expect revisited (not new) lines to get the same treatment. 

GW just want to sell models, and if they decide more people will buy them in that format even if it makes it harder for those actually collecting said armies, they wont care. 

28 minutes ago, NorthernNurgling said:

I agree with this - even in Total War II the Greenskinz armies look so rag-tag and varied, I always assumed it was part of the appeal... My brother (and arch-nemesis) collects Orruks so I can't really get into Kruleboyz but I'd be looking to make Kruleboyz the main theme and start the conversions on some Brutes, Gore-Gruntas etc. Why not shove some Savage Orruk Boarboyz onto some Flesh Hounds, slap Skareshields over any Khorne markings, use the Boarboyz profile and call it Gnashtoof cavalry? 

Greenskins have always been an Infantry and Monsters faction, which is exactly what the KB are, their cavalry have always been rubbish with the exception of boarboyz, who still exist. 

Even though AOS has changed things up a bit the Warhammer archetypes and composition are still pretty much exactly the same albeit more concentrated. 

I get the idea that hobgrot wolf riders would be fun- I'm enjoying painting mine just now, but

A) How is that in any way going to reduce the issue of them not fitting in, by adding more of them 

B) All the lore up to this point has Hobgrotz as being some sort of traded auxiliary/grunt unit that the KB use as mercenaries  they're not native to the KB environment. Wee guys with bombs suit their ambush/guerilla style. Steppe riders galloping through bogs? Not so much. 

I could be wrong of course, but I dont see it, and as above, they dont actually make sense either. 

1 hour ago, Nos said:

Nice!

I prefer the smaller, more focused (both visually and narratively) factions of AoS compared to WHFB.

Firstly I think it looks cooler when everything armies are visually cohesive as opposed to a grab bag of things from all over the place.

I think it allows more time and space to focus on the things I like without them being diluted into a bigger book/force of things they really ha e very little in common with.

My favourite factions in AOS are pretty much all small, focused, tight factions that have a clear identity that sets them apart from everyone else (DoK, FEC, Sylvaneth), if they end up just souped up into big, broad factions again then I'm not really sure that's a train I want to be on.

To me, Warclans feels like 2/3 armies that are in one book, not for any particularly compelling reason.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

I'd prefer Orruk Gnashtoof cavalry for Kruleboyz over Hobgrot Wolf Riders for sure, Gnashtoofs fit well for me as they're described as native to the swamps, numerous and come in a range of sizes from the size of a small dog up to the largest Great Gnashtoofs. Would be super cool to see more of them!

I don't think the Ardboys sculpts look good next to Kruleboyz personally, I don't even think Ardboys look good next to the rest of the Ironjawz so never fielded them lol - the Ardboys sculpts stick out like a sore thumb to me. But we all have our own likes and dislikes and that's fine 👍

Edited by Gareth 🍄
  • Like 9

7 minutes ago, mojojojo101 said:

I prefer the smaller, more focused (both visually and narratively) factions of AoS compared to WHFB.

Firstly I think it looks cooler when everything armies are visually cohesive as opposed to a grab bag of things from all over the place.

I think it allows more time and space to focus on the things I like without them being diluted into a bigger book/force of things they really ha e very little in common with.

My favourite factions in AOS are pretty much all small, focused, tight factions that have a clear identity that sets them apart from everyone else (DoK, FEC, Sylvaneth), if they end up just souped up into big, broad factions again then I'm not really sure that's a train I want to be on.

To me, Warclans feels like 2/3 armies that are in one book, not for any particularly compelling reason.

I also like them too, but they make up the majority of the factions. So I've no issue with some more sprawling and augmented armies, especially when the lore sets them up to  be precisley that 

1 hour ago, Nos said:

The "they dont fit together" thing seems weird to me. One of the appeals of Warhammer when I got into it was pretty much every army was full of different looking units.

I don't think it's a matter of different-looking units - as you say, there are plenty of those in the game already.

What I suspect makes people think the Kruleboys "don't fit" with the existing Orruk range is that they seem to be rendered in a different artistic style. As an example, think about cartoons, which are extremely stylistic - within the context of their own shows, you automatically recognise that Homer Simpson, Shaggy and Sailor Moon are all human beings, but if you stood them next to each other your brain would be telling you that something was really "off" about at least two of them.

Ironjawz and Bonesplitterz have always had a highly exaggerated, caricaturish look to them - gigantic bulging muscles, unfeasibly prominent jaws and teeth, massive heads. Kruleboyz have a lot of the same features, but they're not exaggerated to nearly the same degree - they're closer to the more grounded, "realistic" proportions of the orcs of Middle-Earth. That's the disconnect. I'm not saying it's right, but I understand where it's coming from.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nos said:

I think its just subjective but i also think folks that would prefer "uniformity " are leaning more towards aspects like anatomical proportions, anatomical realism, etc. For me personally its this above all else. There is no denying that the kruleboyz, just as the new stormcast, have taking a much different approach to model design. 

Im a very detailed person so it's very easy for me to spot these not so subtle differences across the Orruk warclans models. Things like ridiculously big heads, teeth that wouldn't allow you to even close their mouths let alone put food in, over the top muscle tone, etc. 

Yes a unified paint scheme helps but for some its way more than that. Again it's all subjective. 

• Like 3

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Gareth 🍄 said:

I don't think the Ardboys sculpts look good next to Kruleboyz personally, I don't even think Ardboys look good next to the rest of the Ironjawz so never fielded them lol - the Ardboys sculpts stick out like a sore thumb to me. But we all have our own likes and dislikes and that's fine 👍

Agree with this. I know some people like the Ardboyz sculpts, but I find them pretty ugly. The only way I was able to get a unit was to kitbash Blood Bowl orcs into them. 

My opinion is the only reason people see Ardboyz as fitting with Ironjawz is that they've had many years of seeing them painted up alongside in matching schemes. 

Once people settle in and we start seeing KB alongside IJ more, I think people will raise it less. Still wish GW had made more of an effort to paint up a new studio army in the same scheme to tie it all together. Maybe they will for the Orruk Warclans book...

• Like 3

• Subscriber

So it's launching on iOS, Android, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV and Roku services.  I'm hoping they do manage to get it on some smart TVs as well. For example on my LG, I can get apps for Netflix, Prime, Youtube, Disney+, etc which all work great, but as soon as I try to watch a video in the browser (eg Duncan Rhodes') it fails. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SunStorm said:

Agree with this. I know some people like the Ardboyz sculpts, but I find them pretty ugly. 

I can understand this. I think they are just dated personally... Black orcs had their time in the old world but that time has gone. 

Screenshot_20210811-092738_Gallery.jpg.b7324c33c5787dc9b79ffa01759d26cf.jpg

When i saw this dude I immediately thought "damn, I hope this is the look of new Ardboys as the fluff is they're not true Ironjawz but from other clans. This would of been THE perfect opportunity to update the kit whilst tieing these new Orruks to the old ones. 

Edited by Vasshpit
  • Like 5

32 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

They have been saying the the beta is coming soon when they announced it… 

it takes way to long to in my opinion.

it should have launched with AoS 3.0

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Dongilles said:

They have been saying the the beta is coming soon when they announced it… 

it takes way to long to in my opinion.

it should have launched with AoS 3.0

I am sick of all their „Soon, almost here, will arrive any moment“ etc.

Just give us a timeline while explicitly claiming that it will change. I am sick of their marketing, it‘s time they arrive in 2021. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, CommodoreCass said:

When I read the news on Warhammer +, it's like there are no (new) content for AoS. All the animations seems to be pretty 40k focused. That's make my heart a bit sad.

Personally I do not mind at all it is even more reason for me to skip it entirely and save some money for actual models and better streaming services. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

Personally I do not mind at all it is even more reason for me to skip it entirely and save some money for actual models and better streaming services. 

Will the warscrolls be freely available like in the Azyr app though? That is my concern.. 

• Like 2