The Rumour Thread

37 minutes ago, Gareth 🍄 said:

How about an Orruk totem or some spells. Missed out last time round.

Why Great Green Hand/Fist/Foot of Gork hasn't been created as an endless spell yet still blows my mind. 

I used to hope Gordraak's giant Gargant pulled Ram would become some sort of mobile terrain totem for destruction armies, but that hope died with Broken realms and the introduction of Kragnos. Personally I still cant warm up to that model for Destruction. Beasts of Chaos or Sylvaneth? Sure, fits right in, but not Destruction. I may just put a howdah full of orks and goblins on the shoulders of a mega-gargant and use that as a proxy for Kragnos. 

• Like 12
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Magnusaur said:

That would certainly make a lot of sense! I understand that AoS wanted lots of gear-swapping and equipment lists, but I never understood why they had to give different names to otherwise identical units. Made the battletome (and webshop) look very bloated. And inconsistent too: Liberators are Liberators, regardless of hammers and swords, but Retributors become Decimators when they wield axes?

It is due to the simplistic way in which matched play points work in AoS.  In 40k, you can have a "tactical marine squad", but it has a billion options and you pay points for those options. 

In AoS, they can do three things:

1. Model has different build options so different rules, but they function the same, or close enough the same that they can have the same point cost. 
2. Model variant's rules are different enough that they must cost different point values for balance. So they have different warscrolls
3. All of the customization is purely aesthetic, no rules difference. 

If you've got an army with over 70 models, #2 does not make sense.  If you have an army with only 10 kits, #2 makes a lot of sense to create diversity in its rules without having to release new models. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gothmaug said:

Why Great Green Hand/Fist/Foot of Gork hasn't been created as an endless spell yet still blows my mind. 

I used to hope Gordraak's giant Gargant pulled Ram would become some sort of mobile terrain totem for destruction armies, but that hope died with Broken realms and the introduction of Kragnos. Personally I still cant warm up to that model for Destruction. Beasts of Chaos or Sylvaneth? Sure, fits right in, but not Destruction. I may just put a howdah full of orks and goblins on the shoulders of a mega-gargant and use that as a proxy for Kragnos. 

I think that Kragnos actually looks really cool alongside Ogors and particularly BCR which is a shame because they are also the Destruction faction he has had the least interaction with so far. 😥

• Like 1

In the article about the US open, GW confirmed their presence at gen con and that there will be news

"Warhammer will be hitting Gen Con in full force, including exciting news (just like the old days) you won’t want to miss."

So we have a confirmed preview for 16-19 september. My bet is that by then we'll know what the chaos battletome, but maybe they'll reveal miniatures to go along with it. Another guess could be new underworlds season logo reveal.

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Gothmaug said:

I have at least a few models of all Destruction factions (except Kruleboyz), and sizable amounts of Gloomspite, IJ, and old O&G.

Yet I have zero interest in Kragnos. It is literally a giant centigor. Definitely feel like Destruction was cheated on that one. It’s not even an interesting character, and I will never believe that it was designed with Destruction in mind. A new, bigger model for the rogue idol that is manned by orruks and/or grots would have been wildly popular.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Nezzhil said:

THE FAITH IS RETURNING TO ME!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

I had hoped that with the release of a mixed Orruk Warclans book, we'd finally get a mounted Ironjawz hero. Oh well. I'm hoping the Warclans codex is well written, and has some good rules for mixed orruk forces other than just a Big Waagh. It would be nice to have a 1 out of 4 units rule for the various Orruk clans, so you could still have an ironjawz force but mix in a few Kruelboyz units.. Just like how cities of Sigmar can mix with stormcast or sylvaneth. 

As for Big Waagh! After the Broken realms stories, if Gordraak or Kragnos is my general I want my Big Waagh to allow me to take 1 out of 4 units from the Gloomspite, Mawtribes or Gargant factions. (or similar mechanic)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gothmaug said:

The Fist/Foot of Gork is the OG spell and it also shocks me that it hasnt been made yet. 

1 hour ago, Neverchosen said:

I think that Kragnos actually looks really cool alongside Ogors and particularly BCR which is a shame because they are also the Destruction faction he has had the least interaction with so far. 😥

I have a massive feeling that Ogors are going to be receiving a lot of love this Edition. 

1 hour ago, GenericEdgyName said:

In the article about the US open, GW confirmed their presence at gen con and that there will be news

"Warhammer will be hitting Gen Con in full force, including exciting news (just like the old days) you won’t want to miss."

So we have a confirmed preview for 16-19 september. My bet is that by then we'll know what the chaos battletome, but maybe they'll reveal miniatures to go along with it. Another guess could be new underworlds season logo reveal.

This is amazing news. Explains why we havent had one announced for August yet. Unfortunately it may mean that bi/monthly Previews are over now either events returning.

25 minutes ago, Loyal Son of Khemri said:

The single coolest piece of art for a faction that only has one model….. PLEASE GW! EXPAND THIS LAD’S ARMY!!!

Yes!! A Subfaction needs more than a single model!!

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

Aye I love seeing them all unified. 

I really want to do a Warcraft Horde style force, I mean look at them, you've got green orcs and big cow people with undead folk, yet together they really can look unified with the right style. 

However, with my Blood Troll Kruleboyz, it's really hard atm to decide a unifying element for other races. 

I absolutely love the shout someone here had about using the Kruleboy shields as gut plates for Ogors, now that would really tie them in!

1 hour ago, Snorri Nelriksson said:

I'd love thIs.

i like their mask, it does reminds me some ancient cultures bronzes.

Theres just so much potential there. And as I've stated before it would make the perfect trifecta of Ogors. Fire, Ice and Hunger. 

1 minute ago, HollowHills said:

Kind of random but I wonder what the story was / is with the StD start collecting having all new kits and nearly 2 years later there being no new individual releases for chaos warriors or knights.

I'm hoping this Edition they'll replace the current kits.

23 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

Kind of random but I wonder what the story was / is with the StD start collecting having all new kits and nearly 2 years later there being no new individual releases for chaos warriors or knights.

Maybe they had way too many boxes of the old chaos warriors laying around? 

23 minutes ago, Howdyhedberg said:

Maybe they had way too many boxes of the old chaos warriors laying around? 

and the solution was to take them out of the start collecting box(surely the biggest mover of models), and put new sculpts in its place??  I suspect that was not it. 

I have a feeling there was a pivot at some point surrounding slaves to darkness / chaos / warcry / covid that makes the current situation feel weird. 

3 hours ago, HollowHills said:

They did the same thing for 40k chaos marines. Released a set of beautiful sculpts in the Dark Vengeance starter box and then went total radio silence on the faction for like... 5 years until they eventually revamped the standard kit along with most of the rest of the faction. Wouldn't be surprised at all if that's what happens for StD.

The way I see it, GW tests the waters on an old faction to see if people like the new sculpts. If they sell well then the full refresh gets a green light and a few years later it's on the shelves. Either that or the schedule was full and they decided to throw a bone to the players because they knew it'd be a long time until they could get the resculpts sorted. 

Edited by Grimrock

Chaos space marines got the Thousand Sons and Death Guard updates between Dark Vengeance and Shadowspear. Special flavors but still. 

But the weird thing for std is not why no new sculpt, but why new sculpt only for the start collecting ? There is new sculpts, you can buy them. They are not mixed on the sprues making impossible to sell them apart either. If the problem was to move the old stock,it should have done by now.  So weird my best guess is they just like the old stuff. 

Anyway they also got a bunch of stuff thanks to Warcry.

Edited by ian0delond

19 minutes ago, ian0delond said:

Chaos space marines got the Thousand Sons and Death Guard updates between Dark Vengeance and Shadowspear. Special flavors but still. 

But the weird thing for std is not why no new sculpt, but why new sculpt only for the start collecting ? There is new sculpts, you can buy them. They are not mixed on the sprues making impossible to sell them apart either. If the problem was to move the old stock,it should have done by now.  So weird my best guess is they just like the old stuff. 

Anyway they also got a bunch of stuff thanks to Warcry.

>>Chaos space marines got the Thousand Sons and Death Guard updates

They are seperate books. that's like saying "Slaves to darkness got Putrid Blightkings"... no, they didn't... 

One reason to not put the new chaos warrior sculpt in a box is that it's monopose dudes with no weapon options and no command models besides leader. It would be a big dumbing down of their warscroll. 

• Like 1

It's a strange precedent (if any), but I'd love for them to do it more often. Refreshed Start Collecting/whatever Age of Sigmar's Combat Patrol equivalent will be with all new units - an overhaul that doesn't require too many resources or long-lasting spotlight. Just a quick a dirty update of Skaven, Seraphon, Beastmen...

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Magnusaur said:

It's a strange precedent (if any), but I'd love for them to do it more often. Refreshed Start Collecting/whatever Age of Sigmar's Combat Patrol equivalent will be with all new units - an overhaul that doesn't require too many resources or long-lasting spotlight. Just a quick a dirty update of Skaven, Seraphon, Beastmen...

It makes for good minis but with the StD example it does lead to them having these cool new minis that are then unfortunately 'locked' in a larger and more expensive kit while the tired old 'normal kits' trundle on. That's not the end of the world when it's a character or single monster but when it's two battleline units that are core to the faction's identity, it stings.

And then there's also the issue of them being pretty firmly monopose - not even monopose in the exaggerated 'everything that's not a 4th edition tactical marine is monopose' sense that gets thrown around, actually the same 5/10 minis - and with fewer options than their warscroll permits.

If you want 10 chaos warriors and 5 knights, cool, but if you're making a force that needs more than that it's hardly ideal. The only comparable situations are the 40k sisters and the two parts of the Shadowspear box being repackaged, though they're better in that at least you can get 'regular' battle sisters/chaos space marines/vanguard marines as independent kits with the full range of options and in less restricted poses.

If anything it highlights what a weird affair the whole StD SC kit is, in that StD is popular range and the SC box contains units that can be used in four other factions but didn't get what we saw other ranges get.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

It makes for good minis but with the StD example it does lead to them having these cool new minis that are then unfortunately 'locked' in a larger and more expensive kit while the tired old 'normal kits' trundle on. That's not the end of the world when it's a character or single monster but when it's two battleline units that are core to the faction's identity, it stings.

And then there's also the issue of them being pretty firmly monopose - not even monopose in the exaggerated 'everything that's not a 4th edition tactical marine is monopose' sense that gets thrown around, actually the same 5/10 minis - and with fewer options than their warscroll permits.

If you want 10 chaos warriors and 5 knights, cool, but if you're making a force that needs more than that it's hardly ideal. The only comparable situations are the 40k sisters and the two parts of the Shadowspear box being repackaged, though they're better in that at least you can get 'regular' battle sisters/chaos space marines/vanguard marines as independent kits with the full range of options and in less restricted poses.

If anything it highlights what a weird affair the whole StD SC kit is, in that StD is popular range and the SC box contains units that can be used in four other factions but didn't get what we saw other ranges get.

I think they like to try things out every so often - I think this might have been a case of we have some cool StD models and we want to try a new format for start collecting lets give it a go. As a start collecting I think its great, but yes they need to release similar multipart kits- then actually the start collecting adds extra variety to the range. I'm sure they'll arrive when they revisit StD [I wonder with a tie in to Warhammer Old World? Although that might be too far off].

13 minutes ago, silverstu said:

I think they like to try things out every so often - I think this might have been a case of we have some cool StD models and we want to try a new format for start collecting lets give it a go. As a start collecting I think its great, but yes they need to release similar multipart kits- then actually the start collecting adds extra variety to the range. I'm sure they'll arrive when they revisit StD [I wonder with a tie in to Warhammer Old World? Although that might be too far off].

I wondered if maybe they were part of a pitch for the next edition starter set. GW decided to go in a different direction, but thought the sculpts were good so found a way to release them. 

I'm also interested to see how they approach whether aos models can be used in ToW. The main issue to me seems to be rank and file. If you need the models to fit in ranks on squares then it does restrict their freedom a lot. At the same time that could hinder design for aos as no one wants our new sculpts to look "blocky".

The fact that the new Warhammer Total War seems to include blood warriors for the Khorne faction, which didn't exist in WHFB, to me suggests they are open to allowing it.

• Like 2