The Rumour Thread

8 minutes ago, Maogrim said:

Well, I guess that's it then. Prepare for 2 weeks of WH Community articles spoiling tiny rules snippets for models we've already seen until we'll be able to preorder on the 30th or something. 

No hobgrotz on wolves. No hobgrot hero. No Orruks on lesser gnashteeth. No spellcasters other than Gobsprakk and the Swampcallah. No more nothing. 

Hopefully the complete tome will be good because even though I love basically all of the Kruleboyz these past weeks of meagre previews have left me slightly disappointed. 

It is possible one of the worst ranges that GW has released in years. Yeah, a lot of heroes and monsters but the Kruleboyz looks like a mess, incomplete and incoherent.

• Like 4
  • Confused 7

Confirmation on WHC of Octarius offering a 'Made to Order' if it sells out in preorder and hinting it'll be a feature in the future - hinting at the BT launch box.

I mean, Dominion overprinted and it really screwed scalpers - lots of FB group whining about not being able to sell box halves for £90+ and rather having to 'only' have £50 for half the models in a box most of us are buying for £90 anyway.

Glad GW is finally dealing with the massive scalper problem in the hobby.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

It is possible one of the worst ranges that GW has released in years. Yeah, a lot of heroes and monsters but the Kruleboyz looks like a mess, incomplete and incoherent.

It isn't a range though, it's an expansion for Orruk Warclans. An existing army just got a load of new kits.

I doubt anyone is going to play pure Kruelboyz unless for some reason GW makes them vastly superior to the other Orruk units.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

If I did 40k I am obviously going to lean towards Chaos but I feel pretty much the same way about Chaos Space Marines. This is why I always hold out hope for Dark Mechanicum to get support

I totally agree and I'd like to expand on Chaos Space Marines vs Slaves to Darkness (then I promise I'll shut up about 40k - but this is AoS related too! :P

On the surface, CSM and S2D look to be very similar factions. Evil, heavily armoured troops wracked with mutations and gifts, marching to war under the banner of one or all of the Dark Gods side by side with monsters, daemons, and mad cultists. 

But in the detail there's a massive difference that makes, in my opinion, Slaves to Darkness infinitely more interesting than Chaos Space Marines - and that is the fact that Slaves to Darkness don't have to be Space Marines. 

As a SM, you're already restricting all characters to be:

- Raised as a warrior from a very young age

- Male, as well as stronger than their peers at a young age (to survive the process)

- They are augmented to be superior to humans in every way even without chaos gifts 

- They naturally live hundreds/thousands of years  

- If you choose a legion, their geneseed determines a lot about them

- Their main enemy is, at least 90% of the time, the Imperium

There are likely more restrictions, but to me these are enough to hamstring a good portion of cool characters. For example, let's say you had an idea for an old hag who lived in a forest for most of her life who was relatively normal for a hermit but whose forest was threatened by advancing Kharadron. She speaks to a raven who promises her the power to protect her forest, only for her to begin a path to damnation. 

You want that in CSM (I guess have Imperium and Agri world/feral world rather than Kharadron and forest)? Well tough luck, the only chaos normal humans are cultists and you don't get heroes for them, so don't bother with that story.

You want that in S2D? No problem - convert a chaos sorcerer lord and you've got a hero ready!

I can't overstate how much I appreciate the lax lore for AoS factions when it comes to original characters.

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 2

25 minutes ago, Maogrim said:

Well, I guess that's it then. Prepare for 2 weeks of WH Community articles spoiling tiny rules snippets for models we've already seen until we'll be able to preorder on the 30th or something. 

No hobgrotz on wolves. No hobgrot hero. No Orruks on lesser gnashteeth. No spellcasters other than Gobsprakk and the Swampcallah. No more nothing. 

Hopefully the complete tome will be good because even though I love basically all of the Kruleboyz these past weeks of meagre previews have left me slightly disappointed. 

I...just...how is it possible to be angry at someone for not giving you something *they never said * they would?

How is that in any way anything besides you simply failing to manage your own expectations? 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Nos said:

I...just...how is it possible to be angry at someone for not giving you something *they never said * they would?

How is that in any way anything besides you simply failing to manage your own expectations? 

An army with one hero and two units could look complete but be poor in design. The Kruleboyz is an incomplete army with a lot of heroes to make an illusion of a big release. This army is a trap in terms of design.

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

An army with one hero and two units could look complete but be poor in design. The Kruleboyz is an incomplete army with a lot of heroes to make an illusion of a big release. This army is a trap in terms of design.

Where is the trap? I don't get it

Edited by baiardo

21 minutes ago, Nos said:

I mean tbf it was less failing to manage expectations and more “this thing was implied and never expanded on”. In this case it was the Killaboss on Great Gnashtoof  - a big, cavalry hero existing. This implies that there’d be Lesser Gnashtoofs (or just Gnashtoofs) and other cavalry units for the Killaboss to go with. That, and you’d expect them to have more than three or so non-monster or hero units, hahahaha

42 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

I know this is related to Kill-Team, but it looks like going forward GW are going to try and guarantee pre-order boxsets. The stipulation is they may take a few months to land if the initial wave sells out.

"Going forwards, we’re looking at ways we can make sure you don’t miss out on other awesome box sets too."

By The Old Ones, GW actually making a good change. Recently they've (rightfully, at least in part) got a lot of hate but this makes me incredibly happy. I don't even want Octarius but paying 1/3 more for Cursed City really hurt me, so hopefully that happens no more

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Nos said:

Um... How exactly did I express 'anger' when I clearly said I felt a little disappointed (while also stating my admiration for the minis they did preview)?

I unterstand that you disagree with my sentiment, and that's fine of course, but would you mind doing that in a way that doesn't more or less paint me as a spoiled child?! 

Thank you, much appreciated. :)

• Like 5

I think the Kruleboyz make sense only if you view them as an expansion of the Warclans soup. Warclans already have boar boyz and Gore-Gruntas. I personally would love to see some kit-bashes for the Gore-Gruntas as they already look swampy. 

On the other hand, if you look at monsters for Warclans, you have the Mawcrusha and thats' it, unless you include the Rogue Idol. 

I think the Kruleboyz range has given Warclans players a range of options (ranged, chaff screens, easy access to MW's) that they didn't have before. Otherwise GW would give Kruleboyz everything and the rest of the Orruk range would become obselete. 

Think of factions like Mawtribes or Fyreslayers whose players would kill to have an expansion pack of kits come out for their army...

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nezzhil said:

well the focus was probably SCE Dragons more than everything else but you can't just release SCE every edition without someone else.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I would hope for some additional unit of orruks for the Kruleboyz. If not, I guess Kruleboyz deal is more elite than bonesplittaz, but less than ironjawz, and have the mortal wound capabilities. It's also what I'd assume be the monster spam faction. I would think the Grots on Sloggoth is a monster, but honestly, could be the cav?

I'm in the bit disappointed camp when it comes to the Kruleboyz. 

The problem I have is that with just a couple of tweaks they could have made a much better army. 

Firstly the Hobgrotz should have been Kruleboyz grotz   that could be taken as dirt cheap battleline. Secondly the two troggoths should each be in units like the Stormcast dragons and perhaps have a battleline if option for a monster mash army. 

Now you would have 5 units that could be taken as battleline and a highly flexible army. It's still possible the battletome will enable some of this.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I really don't think the Kruleboys are all that badly off, even looked at on their own.

• Two CC infantry units
  • Ranged infantry unit
  • Mid-sized artillery unit
  • Howdah beast, possibly with two variants

And then once you put aside the preconception against various kinds of heroes being 'not real units', you have

• Fighty hero on foot, or on cavalry mount, or on flying monster
  • Mid-level banner hero
  • Wizard
  • Troll with hero
  • Big monster with hero

And then two special characters. I get it, I look at something like mortal Nurgle with its two units and plethora of heroes/SCs, and some sort of gnashtooth cavalry is a missed opportunity, but it's hysterical to call this the worst.

We're looking at 14ish warscrolls. More importantly there's a solid visual and conceptual variety going on in terms of silhouettes and model types. Much better than FEC or Fyreslayers or Sylvaneth, closer to something in the vein of Kharadron or Idoneth. Considerably better than most other pseudo-subfactions either (Ironjaws, Bonesplitters, Beastclaw, any individual part of CoS.)

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 9

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/08/09/kill-team-octarius-a-pre-order-promise/

I know they’ve got a lot of stick as of late, so a shout out to GW when they do something right. I hope this is a trend for future boxes. If not least for them also calling the hoard buyers “dirty scalpers” 👌😂.

I know it’s a beast of their creation, but this really made my day. Still a few minutes left to see if we see any Juicy AoS reveals. 

• Like 6

I expected nothing and GW still managed to dissapoint me lol.

I mean kudos if you like the model but it's just another primaris Lt to me and that's what really drove me put of 40k. I mean one armies subfactions get new releases as regularly as entire armies (I mean more regularly if we're honest but who's counting).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The Kruleboyz have such a monster focus that I'd be surprised if there isn't a way to turn on a conditional battleline monster, which I guess would need to be the Sloggoth.

Also the hinting at a Black Templars launch box would mean that'll be a pretty substantial release lineup. I don't know if that's new info or if it changes our expectations of upcoming AoS releases.

FAQ watch: now into the 5th week post-Dominon release and still no sign. Is one coming? Nobody knows. Are GW keeping to 4 week FAQs in the future? Nobody knows. Will it be 5/6/7/8+ weeks from now on? Still, nobody knows.

Wait, somebody knows, they just don’t think that they should tell us. Still got some Gotrek stock to shift I guess.

2 hours ago, HollowHills said:

I doubt anyone is going to play pure Kruelboyz unless for some reason GW makes them vastly superior to the other Orruk units.

0 doubts! I will not buy any other orruk and I will focus like an obsessed man only with kruleboyz!!

Btw, if KOs become another "kruleboyz" in a "Dwarf Warclans" book, that could mean an upside down situation that ends exactly as you are saying, a bunch of AoS players with only one subfaction. Of course a lot of people are going to mix their army with other dwarfs, all of them are going in a Rune of Mark!! 

300px-Grudge-clause_01.png

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 1