The Rumour Thread

I wonder if kruleboys will get a second wave somewhere in the near future. With new models and a new armybook way to soon. 

remember when Lumineth were released and really felt like an incomplete army. And then they got expanded on within a year. 

if this happens for kruleboys, I wonder if they will get the same amount of negativity like Lumineth got (and sometimes still get)… 

Edited by elfhead

1 minute ago, PrimeElectrid said:

Kruleboyz are getting 12 unique kits (not counting alternate weapons/builds or dominion etb duplicates) which is more than Ossiarchs and wave 1 LRL.

I don't think it's the amount of kits people have an issue with, but the distribution of unit types. For what it's worth, OBR could also use another troop option.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I don't think it's the amount of kits people have an issue with, but the distribution of unit types. For what it's worth, OBR could also use another troop option.

IDD just highlighting that it wouldn’t surprise me if we are at an end based on raw number.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Sure, being part of a larger book changes things a bit, but at the same time there is a sub-allegiance in there that will presumably restrict you to just Kruleboyz.

I personally feel like how they are organized within the book is of secondary importance. Yes, you can put them into Big Waaagh, but they are also supposed to stand on their own as a new type of ork with their own aesthetic.

16 Units to choose from not do you for a sub faction and new range? 

2 minutes ago, Nos said:

16 Units to choose from not do you for a sub faction and new range? 

It's not the amount of units, it's the distribution that seems a little lopsided. I think having good battleline is important to people and is frequently at least part of what makes them love a faction.

Kruleboyz are definitely heavy on the big units, and a lot of their 16 units come from dual build options of named and generic characters. And for the generic characters the same type of character is repeated on different mounts a few times: Killaboss on foot, Killaboss on Gnashtooth, Killaboss on Corpse-rippa...

We will have to see how the rules shake out, though. Maybe the Sludgeraker, Troggoth and Gnashtooth all do substantially different things that make them all feel like very different units with a real place in the army. I could also imagine the Sloggoth kind of filling the role of a chariot, which would add to basic unit diversity. Still, though, the subfaction currently feels like a collection of like 10 heroes and three troop options to me. I think another type of "basic guy" would help a lot.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

It's not the amount of units, it's the distribution that seems a little lopsided. I think having good battleline is important to people and is frequently at least part of what makes them love a faction.

Kruleboyz are definitely heavy on the big units, and a lot of their 16 units come from dual build options of named and generic characters. And for the generic characters the same type of character is repeated on different mounts a few times: Killaboss on foot, Killaboss on Gnashtooth, Killaboss on Corpse-rippa...

We will have to see how the rules shake out, though. Maybe the Sludgeraker, Troggoth and Gnashtooth all do substantially different things that make them all feel like very different units with a real place in the army. I could also imagine the Sloggoth kind of filling the role of a chariot, which would add to basic unit diversity. Still, though, the subfaction currently feels like a collection of like 10 heroes and three troop options to me. I think another type of "basic guy" would help a lot.

It's not AOS 2.0. A0S 2.0 was objective centric and the only way to hold them in 95% of situations was bodies.

That's not the case in AOS 3. Objectives are far less central to winning. Monsters and Heroes are massively increased in function and purpose.  They have showcased this edition as being very monster and hero heavy. That's how GW are marketing AOS for this edition at present- a game where monsters and heroes are paramount. That's their vision just now. 

So having a new army for AOS 3 which ties to those aspects makes total sense.

It might not be what you want, but that's not the same thing.

From the perspective of selling a flagship army for a new edition about heroes and monsters, having an army populated with heroes and monsters is hardly peculiar 

Edited by Nos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With the way you buy units now, having lots of infantry isn't always as viable. Because of the reinforcement rules you can't so easily load up on lots of infantry and a few monsters because now a lot of your infantry units will have to be single squads. You don't have the reinforcement allocations to allow you to have 4 or 6 full units on the table.

So you're fielding a lot more minimum composition units, which has the side effect of also starting to favour elite units, monsters and heavy things as well as leaders and heroes. Because now you can't put all your power into a huge infantry block. 

10 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

Yes 3 Ogor Maneater brothers with Gear from 3 separate Realms!! One Ranged, One Heavy and a Leader.

I instantly had the three Trolls from the Hobbit in mind, just as Ogors & ofc AoSified. But mindset wise three fat guys out for the next meal, always arguing about the right spice rub, never in agreement on anything.

In terms of rules, they‘d be powerful but you‘d need to be careful to not bring them close to each other, as their infighting would weaken them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

37 minutes ago, PrimeElectrid said:

IDD just highlighting that it wouldn’t surprise me if we are at an end based on raw number.

Do you have the numbers for other Starting Armies? I'm curious if Kruleboyz are really that far away or it's just that there aren't a lot of basic troops in their roster.

Khorne (even if they had another release 2 years before AoS), Nighthaunts, Necrons (remaked units and new ones), Primaris Space Marines 1.0, Primaris Space Marines 2.0, SCE Battle chamber and SCE Sacrosant Chamber.

Edited by Beliman

1 minute ago, Overread said:

With the way you buy units now, having lots of infantry isn't always as viable. Because of the reinforcement rules you can't so easily load up on lots of infantry and a few monsters because now a lot of your infantry units will have to be single squads. You don't have the reinforcement allocations to allow you to have 4 or 6 full units on the table.

So you're fielding a lot more minimum composition units, which has the side effect of also starting to favour elite units, monsters and heavy things as well as leaders and heroes. Because now you can't put all your power into a huge infantry block. 

Exactly. The rules have changed in such a way as to dramatically change the role and abilities of large units. Thats not an accident.

You can bet that horde armies like Grots et al will get some sort of abilities to offset this but for most other armies it's a return to the heroic skirmish plus style scale always envisioned for AOS when first released. 

Just look at Ironjawz with their 3 non hero units in total, the Kruleboyz roster is a work of art next to that, even if the battleline options could be considered limited. 

I could see many lists being perhaps 20 spear boyz and 2x10 1" reach units, while the rest of the list is populated by the generic and named monsters. They got 4 different monsters, with 3 of them having named character options for the kits as well so that is for sure the focus of the army. It could turn out they have options to make some of these battleline, perhaps the sloggoth or the the other weird generic beasty, sort of like an Avengorii or Gristlegore destruction equivalent.

The Hobgrots does seem a bit out of place, especially if they are still not battleline in the book, then who would ever bring them, especially as they are not orruks and get no allegiance benefits, strange. Kruleboyz then got the reverse of Ironjawz as they got cavalry but not a cavalry mounted hero, while Kruleboyz got the hero, but no unit for him to run next to and support needing his speed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While I‘d love to see another unit (some sort of cavalry), I‘m down for few troops and many monsters. In that sense my only complaint would be that most (all?) the monsters are tied to heroes - which makes sense from a rules perspective but is less fun to look at/doesn‘t feel the same as monsters accompanying troops. 
I‘d love some new swamp trolls for example. But should they be able to field the old ones, the current models at least fit rather well.

3 minutes ago, Rachmani said:

I instantly had the three Trolls from the Hobbit in mind, just as Ogors & ofc AoSified. But mindset wise three fat guys out for the next meal, always arguing about the right spice rub, never in agreement on anything.

In terms of rules, they‘d be powerful but you‘d need to be careful to not bring them close to each other, as their infighting would weaken them.

Hahaha I'd love that. 

"ooo, az you eva tried dis new spice mix those bright aelfs made, enlightening stuff a tell ya" 

"Don't be so bloody stupid, ain't no betta rub, than the bonemeal right from Shyish itself, ya can taste tha agein process."

"FLALBFHRYDBNKBBFBN!" Said the Ghurian Maneater snacking on some gobby shrooms. 

• Haha 2

With regards to the Kruleboyz and their limited battleline along with the focus on monsters with 3.0, is it at all possible that the Marshcrawla Sloggoth might be treated as a battleline/conditional battleline chariot? It seems a little odd that they have so few battleline but I do understand that they are just 1/3 of a battletome.

2 minutes ago, Murder Pancake said:

With regards to the Kruleboyz and their limited battleline along with the focus on monsters with 3.0, is it at all possible that the Marshcrawla Sloggoth might be treated as a battleline/conditional battleline chariot? It seems a little odd that they have so few battleline but I do understand that they are just 1/3 of a battletome.

I think there is a good chance for the Sloggoth and Boltboyz to be conditional battleline. Maybe the Hobgrots, too, but that seems less likely.

6 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I think there is a good chance for the Sloggoth and Boltboyz to be conditional battleline. Maybe the Hobgrots, too, but that seems less likely.

Boltboys are confirmed as conditional battleline in a Big Yellers allegiance

Edited by Qrow
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

image.png.2db84bfd988d9676fd9ae17ed8015640.pngI wonder if the rumored dragon cavalry is set to entirely replace the dracothian guard. I painted up an extremis army of these, so shaking a bit in my boots. Excited about new dragon stuff, but scared for my current stuff.

These are most likely being reboxed for 3.0. If they were going to get rid of these they would also have to rewrite the profile for the Stardrake, or remove it too since since it's part of the Extremis chamber/there wouldn't be any dracothian to give bonuses to. That, and I believe Kragnos' warscroll mentions bonuses vs. Dracothian and Draconith units.

This is at least what I am going to tell myself as I just bought a box; but it does not seem likely that they are just flat out removing them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Rachmani said:

Yes fantastic idea!! Maybe a Butcher and 2 Maneaters then? 

7 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

image.png.2db84bfd988d9676fd9ae17ed8015640.pngI wonder if the rumored dragon cavalry is set to entirely replace the dracothian guard. I painted up an extremis army of these, so shaking a bit in my boots. Excited about new dragon stuff, but scared for my current stuff.

Just repackaging mate I wouldnt worry 🤙🏼

18 minutes ago, Murder Pancake said:

I believe Kragnos' warscroll mentions bonuses vs. Dracothian and Draconith units.

Good point, it does mention on his warscroll he gets benefits if Stardrakes, Drakes, Dracoths and Dracolines are in range. Out of these we do not have any "Drakes" yet, it might be the 2 named guys keyword, but could also be a keyword for any new cavalry. If that is the case I'd expect them to either be even more elite or possibly a bit sleeker compared to Dracoths, faster but less armored as the lore explains them as being mostly rather young with the Seraphon nursing them.

So it would be Dracoths as the Anvil cav, Drakes as fastest flying cav, semi hammer, Dracolines as hammer/utility wizards and lastly Paladors on Gryph Chargers that are... errr... good boys?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beliman said:

Do you have the numbers for other Starting Armies? I'm curious if Kruleboyz are really that far away or it's just that there aren't a lot of basic troops in their roster.

Khorne (even if they had another release 2 years before AoS), Nighthaunts, Necrons (remaked units and new ones), Primaris Space Marines 1.0, Primaris Space Marines 2.0, SCE Battle chamber and SCE Sacrosant Chamber.

It is hard to draw parallels with other releases as most of them are either updates of older armies, and not true “new ranges” like kruleboyz (even though they are going in war clans), or were released much earlier and under different guiding principles eg IDK, FS. I wouldn’t like to draw comparisons here as it’s not a like for like. OBR and LRL are the closest parallels (obviously discounting Sons).

Similarily I’ve not counted SCE as these are the “poster” faction and should naturally expect to deviate from the norm (although we’re currently looking at 13 kits which is way more than Sacrosanct at 9).

It *is* weird if they don’t have cavalry as both OBR and LRL got this in their initial waves. I guess GW want to go in a monster direction here instead?

Edited by PrimeElectrid